Brian O’Neill OT Pitt

SenorGato

Potentially one of those freak athletes I want on the roster. Former TE, now a 6’6” 305 OT, also formerly the top HS basketball player in Delaware:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2017/12/15/brian-oneill-nfl-draft-pitt-football-pittsburgh-panthers-left-tackle-piesman-trophy/stories/201712310272

Regardless of O’Neill’s blocking prowess, that won’t be what he’s most remembered for while at Pitt. No, that would have to be his “Piesman Trophy”-winning exploitswith the ball in his hands, the once-in-a-lifetime lineman who not only had plays designed for him but also executed them in real games. O’Neill scored two touchdowns in 2016, both technically rushing scores, though one was on a throw back past the line of scrimmage from Nathan Peterman and the other was an end-around.

I read somewhere he’s shooting for a 4.7 at the combine among other things. 

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Can the guy block? or is he good at jumping out of swimming pools?  A fast 40 for an OT is one of the most useless things going.

For the little i've seen from him, he's very good at pass blocking. Don't know if he already have the strenght to play at a high level in the NFL

He can block. He also could play guard if needed too so that versatility is nice. I mean you draft him to be a tackle of course, but you can plug him anywhere he's needed outside of center. If he's not quite ready for the tackle spot he could still start at guard and work his way over.

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Can the guy block? or is he good at jumping out of swimming pools?  A fast 40 for an OT is one of the most useless things going.

Is it an either/or thing? With the blocking and jumping I mean...It’s a great thing to be a freak athlete, that’s what this league is dominated by.

Anyway O’Neill’s known on the field for his potential freakish athleticism and his pass peotection skillz. 

PFW NFL Draft: Winners and losers from the Senior Bowl

LOSERS

Pittsburgh OT Brian O’Neill 

Some observers thought O'Neill still did some good things, but others lamented his lack of protection polish for a player who clearly lacks power at 6-foot-6 and only 298 pounds. In practice sessions, he allowed far too many pressures – especially on counter moves inside – and appeared to get down on himself before rallying a bit later in the week. O'Neill is a salty player, and the former tight end has top-shelf athleticism for the position. But we think he needs a year of incubating and might not be the Day 2 lock he appeared to be coming into the week.

• 1 month later...

Didn't test as an outright freak, but did have ideal measurements and topped OTs in the 40, 3 cone, and shuttle. Not bad drills to nail at his position...Still one of my favorite long term prospects in this draft and it's more convenient he's slipped than risen. For me an ideal second round pick for Los Yets, hopefully doesn't sneak into the first due to the OT dearth.

I really would like to land him and Ragnow on draft day.

On 1/29/2018 at 10:34 AM, C Mart said:

PFW NFL Draft: Winners and losers from the Senior Bowl

LOSERS

Pittsburgh OT Brian O’Neill 

Some observers thought O'Neill still did some good things, but others lamented his lack of protection polish for a player who clearly lacks power at 6-foot-6 and only 298 pounds. In practice sessions, he allowed far too many pressures – especially on counter moves inside – and appeared to get down on himself before rallying a bit later in the week. O'Neill is a salty player, and the former tight end has top-shelf athleticism for the position. But we think he needs a year of incubating and might not be the Day 2 lock he appeared to be coming into the week.

That answers the swimming pool thing 

Jets are going to be running more of a ZBS scheme. O’Neill seems like an ideal ZBS LT with big time upside due to that athleticism.

Needs a little time but Beachum should have the position under control for a year.

Hopefully FA fills enough needs they can take a swing. Would make a ton of sense in R2. Potentially fill a long-term need at a premium position.

Archived