Kiper's Mock 1.0 (JN server would crash)

prime21

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I mean in terms of the timing. This is 4 months before the draft. When can we get this deal done? before or after FA

Good question.  I think it is more likely to wait until after the first wave of FA.  If we sign Cousins, our need to move up changes so it would be hard to determine what the pick is worth right now.  In fact, I think a lot of those deals where you aren't sure who is going to be available get set up before the draft but only get triggered on the clock if the guy the team trading up wants is there.  That makes the most sense when looking at picks 3 and 4.  The Jets might be willing to offer more to get to 3 if Darnold or Rosen drops.  If not, they would either offer less or simply not trade up.  IND would presumably have one or more of these trade-down deals in place but have to wait and see how the first two picks play out.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I mean in terms of the timing. This is 4 months before the draft. When can we get this deal done? before or after FA

As soon as it’s legally possible to make a draft pick trade I’d be trying to do it, like I said IF you land Cousins in FA which I believe to be very unlikely you still get the franchise game changing edge rusher this franchise has been missing for 15 years filling 2 of the 3 most important building blocks of a football team the 3rd being a franchise LT.

32 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

In the above unlikely scenario, once Cleveland pick Allen, their phones are ringing off the hook for their second pick at 4. Likewise Indy at 3. The chances of Darnold slipping to 5 are remote.

Yeah, Indy is not picking at 3 if Allen/Rosen go top 2.  They're trading out to the highest bidder.  The Jets should be able to have the best package to move to 3.

But it would be hilarious if the Jets drafted another DB in the 1st.  What a clown show.

Booooooooo unless they got the FAs I wanted. Even then take a pass rusher...MY guess is that if Davenport worked out well enough to go top 15 he probably pulled some freak sh*t so it’s cool to draft him. Or take the freak OT prospect if there is one. A CB’s going to go through heck here if drafted early.

Vita Vea’s going to go well before the 20s.

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

As soon as it’s legally possible to make a draft pick trade I’d be trying to do it, like I said IF you land Cousins in FA which I believe to be very unlikely you still get the franchise game changing edge rusher this franchise has been missing for 15 years filling 2 of the 3 most important building blocks of a football team the 3rd being a franchise LT.

Dude, come on.  ILB, Safety and DT.  That's your holy trinity right there.  And look at our last three drafts.  Actually, look at our last five!

brilliant2.jpg?w=720

14 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I could live with it I guess,

LOL, that's Stockholm Syndrome

In no way, shape or form is drafting a DB in 1st round acceptable for this team.  Starting CBs are available in FA every season and the Jets are sitting on $100 million in cap space.  Drafting a DB in 1st is inexcusable.  The Jets have a scouting department.  They should do their job and find one or two in later rounds.

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

LOL, that's Stockholm Syndrome

In no way, shape or form is drafting a DB in 1st round acceptable for this team.  Starting CBs are available in FA every season and the Jets are sitting on $100 million in cap space.  Drafting a DB in 1st is inexcusable.  The Jets have a scouting department.  They should do their job and find one or two in later rounds.

Why did you exclude the rest of my post from your quote? You'd see I completely agree with you.

If the Jets don't sign a FA QB, a QB has to unequivocally be their 1st round pick and it looks like they're going to have to trade up to be in front of Denver if they want to get the #3 QB on the board.  

Drafting a CB before a QB with no legit FA QB in the fold would be a disaster of epic proportions. 

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think we got Kirk Cousins, Broncos took Darnold and Redskins took Mayfield. I would not want Jackson in the 2nd if that were the case.

Even if the Jets have Cousins, taking a Cb at 6 is still horrible. Dude better be the next Revis. And they better have two new young OL FA to boot. A lot of scenarios but Fitzpatrick at 6 is just scary. 

We have drafted a DB in the first round in 3 of the last 6 years.  4 of the last 9.

We have also signed multiple high-priced FAs in that time.  And after all that, we have exactly 2 decent Safeties and 1 decent CB who is a FA to show for it.  On top of that we still can't rush the passer.  

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Even if the Jets have Cousins, taking a Cb at 6 is still horrible. Dude better be the next Revis. And they better have two new young OL FA to boot. A lot of scenarios but Fitzpatrick at 6 is just scary. 

Yeah even if he’s a good player this guy will be absolutely tortured here. One there’s the Revis shadow, then there’s some truly irate fans...It would be hell.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

We have drafted a DB in the first round in 3 of the last 6 years.  4 of the last 9.

We have also signed multiple high-priced FAs in that time.  And after all that, we have exactly 2 decent Safeties and 1 decent CB who is a FA to show for it.  On top of that we still can't rush the passer.  

and yet we have drafted a dlineman 4x in the past decade in the first round.  

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

Like I said I'd prefer Nelson there, I know that's not the sexy pick but I'd love adding Jensen and Nelson to this OL. If it is not Nelson and we only added 1 CB in FA then I could see us taking Fitzpatrick, he really is a special player. I don't believe there is a LT that I'd want to pull the trigger on, at least at this point. I'm okay with letting Beachum have 1 more year with help across the line before I invest heavily at that position. 

If our FA went:

Cousins

Jensen

Lawrence/Ansah/Adrian Clayborn

EJ Gaines/Fuller/Butler (let Claiborne walk)

Resign some of our own guys

Then I wouldn't have any problem with Fitzpatrick.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Like I said I'd prefer Nelson there, I know that's not the sexy pick but I'd love adding Jensen and Nelson to this OL. If it is not Nelson and we only added 1 CB in FA then I could see us taking Fitzpatrick, he really is a special player. I don't believe there is a LT that I'd want to pull the trigger on, at least at this point. I'm okay with letting Beachum have 1 more year with help across the line before I invest heavily at that position. 

If our FA went:

Cousins

Jensen

Lawrence/Ansah/Adrian Clayborn

EJ Gaines/Fuller/Butler (let Claiborne walk)

Resign some of our own guys

Then I wouldn't have any problem with Fitzpatrick.

I'd love any OL taken in the first, especially Nelson. Not the sexy pick but it'd be a huge upgrade for the oline. 

But if we went defense (ugh) and we didn't resign Davis, i'd rather R. Smith over Fitzpatrick. Gimme them non premium positions!

35 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Why did you exclude the rest of my post from your quote? You'd see I completely agree with you.

I know, it's just that the sentiment "I could live with it I guess" is a product of battered fan syndrome.  Browns fans probably say the same thing.  It's the result of being a fan of a bad franchise.  We'll "live with it" no matter what.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is exactly what I expect to happen, as of right now.  I think Kiper is dead on accurate (for today, obv. things can and will change).

Get used to the idea of us drafting a DE or CB or LB at #6.

mccags has taken a defensive player in the first round in each layer of the defense, line/lb/secondary.  

he'll go balls out but whiff on landing cousins.  then he'll whiff on alex smith.  then he'll say he's got a plan and that everyone should calm down.

we'll head into the draft expecting a qb in the first round.  after darnold/rosen/allen are taken in the top 5, we will all be crestfallen when mccags picks nelson.  it will be even harsher when we learn that mccags had several offers to trade back, but he'll stick to his board.

we'll have mccown/bridgewater and falk at qb.

Just now, gEYno said:

Also, if Cleveland really wants Josh Allen, they should trade #1 to Denver or the Jets, take Allen at 4, and get an extra 1 next year, and the non-QB of their choice at 5 or 6.

If you want Allen that badly then you take him at #1.  Why risk the Giants taking him or some team trading up to #2 or #3 to grab him.  If they are content in "settling" for a which ever QB falls to #4 then they could also do a trade.

41 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'd love any OL taken in the first, especially Nelson. Not the sexy pick but it'd be a huge upgrade for the oline. 

But if we went defense (ugh) and we didn't resign Davis, i'd rather R. Smith over Fitzpatrick. Gimme them non premium positions!

1. Its good that Kiper had this as his mock, because hes almost certain to be wrong. I agree with these being the top 5 prospects but i bet someone sneaks in there.

2. During the season there was never a consensus dominant LT. I know people want to close their eyes and make there be a franchise LT our pick. McGlinchey is seen as ok, perhaps a product of Nelson...and Williams is seem as ok. Nothing to get too excited about. Same for Orlando Brown. I dont really want to be the team that overdrafts them.

3.Nelson the guard and Fitzpatrick the safety are both devastating choices, as far as value is concerned at pick 6.

4. If indeed that is the top 5, then at 6 it better be

a.Mayfield (unless FA)

b. The class’s best Edge

c. Trade down

d. Ridley

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

If you want Allen that badly then you take him at #1.  Why risk the Giants taking him or some team trading up to #2 or #3 to grab him.  If they are content in "settling" for a which ever QB falls to #4 then they could also do a trade.

It seems exceptionally unlikely that Allen is going to get taken by someone else.  Worth the risk as you'll still be able to get a top QB.

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Also, if Cleveland really wants Josh Allen, they should trade #1 to Denver or the Jets, take Allen at 4, and get an extra 1 next year, and the non-QB of their choice at 5 or 6.

A team that's dumb enough to spend a top-6 pick on Josh Allen isn't smart enough to pull off a caper like this.

33 minutes ago, SMC said:

I know, it's just that the sentiment "I could live with it I guess" is a product of battered fan syndrome.  Browns fans probably say the same thing.  It's the result of being a fan of a bad franchise.  We'll "live with it" no matter what.

Yea I mean I would understand the reasoning pending certain things happen before this selection. At this far out from the draft I'm not going to get myself worked up about a mock draft. There are situations I don't want this pick too so at this point I'll fall in the middle until it gets closer to see how FA pans out. So yea at this point I'm kinda okay with seeing what happens first especially because this probably isn't even correct because a team could be trading up for a QB too.

Archived