Getting bang for the buck in the next 3 FA classes...

SenorGato

is going to require alot of homework. Just a really simple look but...Going by what ASJ turned down and Powell is potentially signed for, replacement level players are looking at $4-closerto5 million in this FA this year. That could go as high as $6-8 million as early as next year (given what ASJ is demanding).

Here’s some guys I think you can get in that $5-8 range this offseason that may prove to be bargains (2018 ages in parentheses):

Trey Burton (26) TE Eagles - Quietly delivered a top 10 TE season (per FO) for a first division club and offense. Very aggressive player. 

Chris Hubbard (26) OL Steelers - Swiss army OL is, just guessing, a starting quality RT or OG.

Tyler Eifert (28) TE - If a team can prop him up for a year they get a top tier TE talent. Hopefully stem cells are working some magic right now. 

Star Lotulelei (29) DT: Never matched the college hype, turned out Kwann Short was better, but as a rotational DL could be a steal for a conteder. 

Weston Richburg (26) C - All this Ryan Jensen hype and Richburg actually has more than double the starting experience. Good pass blocker when healthy. Missing most of last season and being a FA the same time as Pugh means he might hit the market. I would expect the Jets to be very interested if he is.

3 players I would not touch in this FA market:

Trumaine Johnson (28) CB - Non-freak athlete, is he even a elite CB? Too lazy to check on that and still would not go near in FA.

Ezekiel Ansah (29) DE - Injuries have wrecked him the past two years. His skills are valuable but as almost literally the only name brand pass rusher in FA he will get paid. Bang for the buck, give me Adrian Clayborn among these FA pass rushers or even even even a small dollar buy on Dion Jordan. 

Dontari Poe DT - Will demand Snacks money + inflation but Harrison was more consistent as a rotation guy. 

Woof, I’m not a fan of the FA defense at all outside of Adrian Clayborn and Gaines from the Bills. Bears fans are talking about FRANCHISING Kyle Fuller (Jah bless that franchise).

Anyway - thoughts? Prayers? Thanks

I’ve talked in a few places about trey burton being a target for us. He filled in really nicely when ertz was out for a few games. He’s a solid player that we don’t have to break the bank for..

everyone wants Bell and cousins and ansa. Look I get it, those are the sexy names out there. I’d throw money at cousins just because we need a qb bad, but other than him this team needs quality starters and quality depth and you  get that in the 2nd and 3rd tier of FA.. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

is going to require alot of homework. Just a really simple look but...Going by what ASJ turned down and Powell is potentially signed for, replacement level players are looking at $4-closerto5 million in this FA this year. That could go as high as $6-8 million as early as next year (given what ASJ is demanding).

Here’s some guys I think you can get in that $5-8 range this offseason that may prove to be bargains (2018 ages in parentheses):

Trey Burton (26) TE Eagles - Quietly delivered a top 10 TE season (per FO) for a first division club and offense. Very aggressive player. 

Chris Hubbard (26) OL Steelers - Swiss army OL is, just guessing, a starting quality RT or OG.

Tyler Eifert (28) TE - If a team can prop him up for a year they get a top tier TE talent. Hopefully stem cells are working some magic right now. 

Star Lotulelei (29) DT: Never matched the college hype, turned out Kwann Short was better, but as a rotational DL could be a steal for a conteder. 

Weston Richburg (26) C - All this Ryan Jensen hype and Richburg actually has more than double the starting experience. Good pass blocker when healthy. Missing most of last season and being a FA the same time as Pugh means he might hit the market. I would expect the Jets to be very interested if he is.

Trumaine Johnson (28) CB - Non-freak athlete, is he even a elite CB? Too lazy to check on that and still would not go near in FA.

Ezekiel Ansah (29) DE - Injuries have wrecked him the past two years. His skills are valuable but as almost literally the only name brand pass rusher in FA he will get paid. Bang for the buck, give me Adrian Clayborn among these FA pass rushers or even even even a small dollar buy on Dion Jordan. 

Dontari Poe DT - Will demand Snacks money + inflation but Harrison was more consistent as a rotation guy. 

Woof, I’m not a fan of the FA defense at all outside of Adrian Clayborn and Gaines from the Bills. Bears fans are talking about FRANCHISING Kyle Fuller (Jah bless that franchise).

No interest in eifert.... he's done

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Burton’s a guy hits $9 maybe even + million but he’s my favorite non-Bell Weaponz in FA so snuck him in.

I don 't think he will go for that much, as it would put him in Gronk/Kelce territory. He made $2.75M this year, hopefully he goes in the $4-6 M range.

59 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't like Eifert, dude is always banged up. Not a big fan of Richburg either.

I'm fine with Burton and agree with not going ham for Ansah.

the FAs outside of Cousins I want:

Jensen

EJ Gaines/Kyle Fuller/Honey Badger

Norwell

Lawrence/Clayborn

I prefer Jensen to Richburg but only because mincing centers is a waste of time, the money is there to buy certainty at positions, and Jensen’s healthy. Richburg’s good for a team with no money to spend, a QB, and trouble at C like Baltimore in a month. Jensen is the better run blocker between the two so that helps. 

I’m probably at something like:

Cousins, Bell, Jensen, Norwell, Clayborn, and Gaines at 32, 16, 10, 16, 8, 8 or so. Honestly beyond the first three I don’t really care what they do. Top two FAs that touch the ball more than anyone else on offense and a much needed upgrade at C, everything else is kinda noise to me. Love Burton for this team THO. 

There isn't a single player on D in FA that I'm super excited about at all.

Johnson, is not good and he's going to demand top CB money after being tagged 2 straight years in a row. Ansah is an injury waiting to happen.  Poe or Logan I could see, I guess.  Maybe bring back Clairborne.  But with the amount of resources spent on D year over year and you know that's they way they're going via draft, stay away from D in FA.

This regime has shown that they are completely inept when it comes to finding offensive talent (or Defensive for that matter) via the draft so I'd be 100% fine if they blew their entire wad on offense.  Something like: Cousins, Burton, Landry/Watkins/Lee/Matthews...maybe Bell.  And then I'd look to find some veteran OL help, guys on their 2nd contract looking for a home for the net 4 years...not some fossil good for a year.

Nobody over 30 either.  All O, no D, I'd be good with it.

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

Johnson, is not good and he's going to demand top CB money after being tagged 2 straight years in a row. Ansah is an injury waiting to happen.  Poe or Logan I could see, I guess.  Maybe bring back Clairborne.  But with the amount of resources spent on D year over year and you know that's they way they're going via draft, stay away from D in FA.

This regime has shown that they are completely inept when it comes to finding offensive talent (or Defensive for that matter) via the draft so I'd be 100% fine if they blew their entire wad on offense.  Something like: Cousins, Burton, Landry/Watkins/Lee/Matthews...maybe Bell.  And then I'd look to find some veteran OL help, guys on their 2nd contract looking for a home for the net 4 years...not some fossil good for a year.

But if they spend money on the D in FA, wouldnt that make them less likely to draft D in the first round? I mean if they sign a CB and a PR, who are they going to draft without being redundant?

Jensen and Norwell to transform the OL in one sweep.  Maybe adding an OT with one of the higher picks but even just those two would elevate our offense tremendously.

I don't see how Honey Badger is a need for us.  We have two young, seemingly talented Safeties.  Are you going to take Maye off the field?  Matthieu is talented, but it doesn't seem like the best use of our cap bounty when we have some much more glaring holes, even on Defense.

We absolutely need to bring in a CB.  Even if we draft one, we are so thin there.  I can't distinguish one as standing out from a few of the top ones, so I'd take a run at Butler but we definitely need to add one who can start and that's assuming we also bring back Claiborne.  

I would actually like to see Ansah here as he will probably fit well into the 3-4 Edge role.  Health may be a concern so the deal has to be right, but it would be more exciting to see him there than another year of what we just watched.  As an alternative, Adrian Clayborn from the Falcons would be intriguing as someone above mentioned.  Not even counting the ridiculous 6-sack game, he seems to be highly thought of but not sure how he fits our defense.

10 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

All Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles care about in signing potential free agents is that they're able to buy their way to 8 wins. That, and that alone, secures their future for 2019, salary cap be damned.

It's playoffs or bust for the Dysfunctional Duo.

30 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But if they spend money on the D in FA, wouldnt that make them less likely to draft D in the first round? I mean if they sign a CB and a PR, who are they going to draft without being redundant?

They just drafted back to back safeties.  They're not worried about being redundant.

And no, I don't think spending on D in FA would prevent them from taking D in the 1st again.  It hasn't stopped them to this point.

All that said, my point is, don't spend money on D.  The options suck and this is exactly how they got themselves in trouble the 1st time around. .   

I take it you liked my mock offseason then! You’ve got most of the people I picked as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lately, I seem to be drawing your ire. 

I think its more that you’re looking for it than drawing it. Why would I be making fun of you? I don’t think this is the first time you’ve said this to me lately either but yeah not really sure we have beef. 

On 1/19/2018 at 8:25 AM, JiF said:

Demarcus Lawrence? 18.5 sacks?

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

I honestly have no idea if you're serious or making fun of me. Lately, I seem to be drawing your ire. 

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I think its more that you’re looking for it than drawing it. Why would I be making fun of you? I don’t think this is the first time you’ve said this to me lately either but yeah not really sure we have beef. 

I was too. All you have to do is love Kirk Cousins and everything becomes dandy.

ahahaha. just kidding. 

All things considered, DeMarcus Lawrence should be our number one target in FA (taking QB off the table). An elite edge rusher completely changes our front 7. You add Lawrence, teams can't double Williams as much and his pass rush numbers shoot up. 

Bowles definitely has a type at CB. He likes tall, long limbed CBs. One guy to look at is Rashaan Melvin, who had a break out year last season. 6'2" CB. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

All things considered, DeMarcus Lawrence should be our number one target in FA (taking QB off the table). An elite edge rusher completely changes our front 7. You add Lawrence, teams can't double Williams as much and his pass rush numbers shoot up. 

Bowles definitely has a type at CB. He likes tall, long limbed CBs. One guy to look at is Rashaan Melvin, who had a break out year last season. 6'2" CB. 

Pass rushers are hard to find, we haven't had 1 since John Abraham. Dallas slaps the franchise tag on Lawrence if they can't agree to a contract. Who else does Dallas have to protect via the FT? Yup, no one, Demarcus is going NO WHERE.

Archived