How many LARGE holes do we currently have on this team?

Beerfish

QB - At least two.  We need a starter (even if the team decides to being back mccown) and for sure a backup, I see no viable backup between petty and Hack.

Oline - Absolute minimum of one, that being Center which was atrocious last year.  I actually think we need two more good pieces this year but an arguemtn could be made that the Guards and Tackles are good enough for another year.

RB -  At least one.  It will be a disaster if the team retains Forte when we are hearing about wanting to run more.

TE - At least one.  Whether we retain ASJ ore go in another direction we need at least one starting TE.

WR - At least one.  The Anderson thing just opened up a hole on the team.  I don't think we had a true #1 guy before but we for sure do not now.

DL - At least one.  Mo wilk is a goner so we need to get at least one staring dlineman, which is a sad indictment of the team after what we have put into the position.

ILB - At least one.  Davis is a FA, we should not over pay or more importantly over term this guy even if he had a good year last year.  In any case with him a FA now there is a big hole

OLB - We have had a hole at pass rushing OLB/De for years and years.  This is a gaping hole.

CB - At least one starting quality CB.  Even if we retain Claiborne we have a huge hole on the other side.

Amazing that we have so many huge holes that have to be filled.  These are must haves, the would like to have list is larger.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The roster looks very thin when you at it by position. But a good QB will elevate everyone’s level of play. We need Cousins. 

I agree with your premise, a really good Qb can drag a team with holes a long ways.  I'm just not quite sure if cousins is that guy or not.

QB - Moves the margins on everything, how much depends on how good the FA or pick is. If he’s excellent they don’t need to be perfect everywhere, just need a few studs and a bunch of competent enough players. 

OL - Most specifically a starting C but the depth sucks everywhere with none of Qvale, Dozier, or Iljalana looking like an emerging talent. It’s possible better QB play and even an average C goes a long towards fixing the OL in 2018, but they need more depth and competition at G and OT to set up the years after 2018.

RB - For such an easy position to play the Jets’ rush offense has sucked under Bowles consistently in the bottom 10-12 or worse by DVOA. This was true even in 2015 when everything else about the offense was conpetitive. 

CB/pass rusher don’t really care which one 

Everything else can work if those positions can get upgraded. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

QB - Moves the margins on everything, how much depends on how good the FA or pick is. If he’s excellent they don’t need to be perfect everywhere, just need a few studs and a bunch of competent enough players. 

OL - Most specifically a starting C but the depth sucks everywhere with none of Qvale, Dozier, or Iljalana looking like an emerging talent. It’s possible better QB play and even an average C goes a long towards fixing the OL in 2018, but they need more depth and competition at G and OT to set up the years after 2018.

RB - For such an easy position to play the Jets’ rush offense has sucked under Bowles consistently in the bottom 10-12 or worse by DVOA. This was true even in 2015 when everything else about the offense was conpetitive. 

CB/pass rusher don’t really care which one 

Everything else can work if those positions can get upgraded. 

Exactly this word for word.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

QB - At least two.  We need a starter (even if the team decides to being back mccown) and for sure a backup, I see no viable backup between petty and Hack.

Oline - Absolute minimum of one, that being Center which was atrocious last year.  I actually think we need two more good pieces this year but an arguemtn could be made that the Guards and Tackles are good enough for another year.

RB -  At least one.  It will be a disaster if the team retains Forte when we are hearing about wanting to run more.

TE - At least one.  Whether we retain ASJ ore go in another direction we need at least one starting TE.

WR - At least one.  The Anderson thing just opened up a hole on the team.  I don't think we had a true #1 guy before but we for sure do not now.

DL - At least one.  Mo wilk is a goner so we need to get at least one staring dlineman, which is a sad indictment of the team after what we have put into the position.

ILB - At least one.  Davis is a FA, we should not over pay or more importantly over term this guy even if he had a good year last year.  In any case with him a FA now there is a big hole

OLB - We have had a hole at pass rushing OLB/De for years and years.  This is a gaping hole.

CB - At least one starting quality CB.  Even if we retain Claiborne we have a huge hole on the other side.

Amazing that we have so many huge holes that have to be filled.  These are must haves, the would like to have list is larger.

I like the topic.  Here is what I thing are burning needs, in other words the minimum we need:

QB - Cousins and later pick -or- McCown and first round pick.  (1 FA / 1 Draft)

O-Line - Center (1 FA)

RB - (1 Draft)

TE - (1 FA) - ASJ or other. We have Sterling, Tomlinson and Legget without ASJ, but one more vet would help and keep best 2-3.

WR - (1 FA) - Landry would be nice. 

DL - (1 FA / 1 Draft) - I think at minimum we need 2.  One edge (Draft) and one to replace Wilk.

ILB - (1 FA) - Davis, or other.  Maybe 2 and move Lee to the outside.

OLB - (1 Draft) - Jenkins is only one we have that can really amount to something. 

CB - (1 FA / 1 Draft) - Claiborne is injury prone if he goes down we need the depth.  Not impressed with anyone we have at CB.

That's 7 Free Agents and 5 draft picks.  We can add depth with later draft picks.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is what a rebuild looks like folks. The cubbard is still bare.

11 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Lol. Only 3 years of drafts and free agency and hundreds of millions of dollars sunk into this rebuild and they don’t have anything of substance to show for it. This is not what a rebuild looks like. There are many other teams that have done it and done it well. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

No excuse to have holes on defenses with what 7 first round defensive picks in a row. But here we are.

Nine.  For real.  Granted a bunch of them suck and aren’t in the league anymore.  But we have spent 9 1st round picks in a row on defense.

2010- Wilson - gone

2011- Wilkerson - soon to be gone

2012-Coples - gone

2013- Milliner and Richardson - both gone

2014- Pryor - gone

2015- Leo

2016- Lee

2017- Adams

Pretty sad to be honest with you.

12 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Our biggest hole is HC. As long as he is here, the rebuild will go on forever. This is what, coming into year 4 now? It is always convenient to blame failure on a rebuild, where in reality, if we had competent management, we would have had some success instead of the same old $hit 2 years running.

I think the big 3 are QB, O-line, and CB.

There's other positions we could obviously use help at as well like OLB, WR, and RB but you gotta have a QB, you have to be able to protect that QB, ,and you got to have corners who can play. The CB position has become on of the most important positions in the league in recent years. Our last two picks at CB in the first round have been disasters (Milliner, Wilson).

Well now that Anderson has imploded and Enunwa's uncertainty you basically have to revamp the whole WR corps. Kearse is a nice starting point but you need to add a minimum of 2 and maybe 3 players to the team. So you need to add 1 or maybe 2 QB's. 2 or 3 WR's 1 RB, at least 2 OL(C G) and that not even taking into account the teams needs on D. I'm sure that is looking mighty attractive to Cousins. Why wouldn't he want to come to a team that will need at least 2 more seasons to be even be considered a contender?

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think the big 3 are QB, O-line, and CB.

There's other positions we could obviously use help at as well like OLB, WR, and RB but you gotta have a QB, you have to be able to protect that QB, ,and you got to have corners who can play. The CB position has become on of the most important positions in the league in recent years. Our last two picks at CB in the first round have been disasters (Milliner, Wilson).

Agree with the first two, would put edge rusher ahead of CB. A good pass rush covers up many mistakes.

36 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Our biggest hole is HC. As long as he is here, the rebuild will go on forever. This is what, coming into year 4 now? It is always convenient to blame failure on a rebuild, where in reality, if we had competent management, we would have had some success instead of the same old $hit 2 years running.

I have to agree with this.  In reality, your rebuild doesn’t even start until you get a QB that you can build around.  Since our HC would prefer to throw Fitzpatrick and McCown out there year after year instead of investing in a potential star, we will be no better than where we are right now.  

Just good enough not to bottom out and never good enough to be even a discussion point in relevance to the elite teams of the league.

I can only hope Chris Johnson raises the bar of expectations for 18 and beyond.  It really needs to be higher than “the players like their HC and play hard for him.”

In order of importance:

1. QB

1A. Center - we dont need to invest FA money or a high pick on a guard or tackle.  We can draft a developmental tackle in the mid rounds and if we add jensen we will significantly upgrade the line as a whole, without changing anyone else

3. OLB/pass rusher - I'm fine if this happens to be bradley chubb (if we sign cousins)

4.  CB - we should sign clariborne and another CB like EJ Gaines, Breeland, Kyle Fuller or Rashaan Melvin

5.  RB - the draft is stocked and we can get an excellent RB in the second round, hopefully sonny michael from georgia

TE will work itself out between ASJ or some other FA, Tomlinson, and Leggett

Archived