How many LARGE holes do we currently have on this team?

Beerfish

Biggest holes are QB, oline and pass rush. All the rest get better when these things are clicking at a high level. 

Sign Cousins. Check

Sign Jansen. Check

Hell throw money at Andrew Norwell too if he hits free agency.  26 yrs old all pro. 

Address the pass rush in the draft somehow. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Lol. Only 3 years of drafts and free agency and hundreds of millions of dollars sunk into this rebuild and they don’t have anything of substance to show for it. This is not what a rebuild looks like. There are many other teams that have done it and done it well. 

Please share with us the teams that have done it and done it well and how many years did they take, 3? Thanks 

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Our biggest hole is HC. As long as he is here, the rebuild will go on forever. This is what, coming into year 4 now? It is always convenient to blame failure on a rebuild, where in reality, if we had competent management, we would have had some success instead of the same old $hit 2 years running.

I share in your frustration and hear you loud and clear but there's no guarantee that others would have been done in only 3 years. As for bowles development as a better HC, well he better but I don't think even lombardi would have turned this team around in only 3 years. Face it, the volume of talent is lacking. All of the Mangold, Ferguson, Revis type players simply aren't on this roster/ been replaced of yet. 

Rebuilds take time, every needs to accept this reality. Just because they've got 100 million to blow next year doesn't mean that they'll turn themselves into a TRUE legitimate super bowl contender....perhaps many of you want a pretender. I as a Very long time sufferring fan is sick of rooting for pretenders.

37 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Please share with us the teams that have done it and done it well and how many years did they take, 3? Thanks 

Yeah. I’m not going to educate you on fairly obvious answers. The Jets are worse now than they were 3 years ago. That’s not rebuilding. 

7 hours ago, Pcola said:

Nine.  For real.  Granted a bunch of them suck and aren’t in the league anymore.  But we have spent 9 1st round picks in a row on defense.

2010- Wilson - gone

2011- Wilkerson - soon to be gone

2012-Coples - gone

2013- Milliner and Richardson - both gone

2014- Pryor - gone

2015- Leo

2016- Lee

2017- Adams

Pretty sad to be honest with you.

horrendous record

24 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why should the current regime be given any more time after wasting the last three years?

Because they had jack sh*t to work with. Idzik was way over his head and Tannenbaum was nothing but yes man who had no backbone to confront both Rex and Woody.

I wrote this before so here's where I stand:

I share in your frustration and hear you loud and clear but there's no guarantee that others would have been done in only 3 years. As for bowles development as a better HC, well he better get better, but I don't think even lombardi would have turned this team around in only 3 years. Face it, the volume of talent is lacking. All of the Mangold, Ferguson, Revis type players simply aren't on this roster/ been replaced of yet. 

Rebuilds take time, everybody needs to accept this reality. Just because they've got 100 million to blow next year doesn't mean that they'll turn themselves into a TRUE legitimate super bowl contender in only a year...perhaps many of you want a pretender. I as a Very long time sufferring fan is sick of rooting for pretenders.

If there is a God up there I hope that they don't sign a high priced QB. From favre, O'Donnell, Vinnie, to Boomer....it's been tried and it don't work. I don't want some other team's table scraps any more.

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Because they had jack sh*t to work with. Idzik was way over his head and Tannenbaum was nothing but yes man who had no backbone to confront both Rex and Woody.

I wrote this before so here's where I stand:

I share in your frustration and hear you loud and clear but there's no guarantee that others would have been done in only 3 years. As for bowles development as a better HC, well he better get better, but I don't think even lombardi would have turned this team around in only 3 years. Face it, the volume of talent is lacking. All of the Mangold, Ferguson, Revis type players simply aren't on this roster/ been replaced of yet. 

Rebuilds take time, everybody needs to accept this reality. Just because they've got 100 million to blow next year doesn't mean that they'll turn themselves into a TRUE legitimate super bowl contender in only a year...perhaps many of you want a pretender. I as a Very long time sufferring fan is sick of rooting for pretenders.

If there is a God up there I hope that they don't sign a high priced QB. From favre, O'Donnell, Vinnie, to Boomer....it's been tried and it don't work. I don't want some other team's table scraps any more.

What player in the last three years has this regime acquired that makes you think, “wow, they know what they’re doing”?

The whole “this is year 1 of the rebuild and they need years” narrative hopefully has three months before I get to watch it burn. This roster has nothing committed to it beyond 2018 that they don’t want to be committed to (once cuts are done), thats a huge deal for any rebuilding team in any sport. It’s what the Cubs did under Epstein, it’s what let the Yankees bounce back in ‘09 after bottoming out in ‘08, it’s what the Knicks are quietly doing well, so on.... 

OTOH it took the Cubs winning a WS to convince folks that they were better than the Mets and were done rebuilding the year before...So maybe I should just wait. 

27 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What player in the last three years has this regime acquired that makes you think, “wow, they know what they’re doing”?

Good question.Williams, Jenkins, Adams, Lee, shell are guys you can build on.

I like the culture change I saw happening this year. But, The offensive leaders haven't surfaced as of yet.

This thread was all about the holes that this team needs filling. I expect this year will be the year that the lack of playmakers/ leaders on the offensive side of the ball gets addressed.

Look, knowing Woody Johnson's history, if he hadn't bought into a true long term rebuild with this regime, he would have fired them already. No doubt about it, this upcoming free agent market and draft will tell us all we need to know about this regime's strategy. So we'll see.

I think Mac can do it right. As for Bowles, the jury is still out. I question his ability to win the important games...the Buffalo loss is still a head scratcher. His half time adjustments needs to get better as well.

What I do like about him is that he's seems unafraid to make changes rather quickly. He's unafraid fire assistants rather quickly and that's a good thing. Too many head coaches think high and mighty of themselves and fail to realize that if something is broke they should fix it. That tells me he's willing to change and willing to improve. Plus no matter how much negative press he gets around here there is no denying that players like playing for him and it seems like he's got the full attention of the room. That's more than half the battle.

It's going to be a fun off season!

On 1/19/2018 at 5:34 PM, Beerfish said:

QB - At least two.  We need a starter (even if the team decides to being back mccown) and for sure a backup, I see no viable backup between petty and Hack.

Oline - Absolute minimum of one, that being Center which was atrocious last year.  I actually think we need two more good pieces this year but an arguemtn could be made that the Guards and Tackles are good enough for another year.

RB -  At least one.  It will be a disaster if the team retains Forte when we are hearing about wanting to run more.

TE - At least one.  Whether we retain ASJ ore go in another direction we need at least one starting TE.

WR - At least one.  The Anderson thing just opened up a hole on the team.  I don't think we had a true #1 guy before but we for sure do not now.

DL - At least one.  Mo wilk is a goner so we need to get at least one staring dlineman, which is a sad indictment of the team after what we have put into the position.

ILB - At least one.  Davis is a FA, we should not over pay or more importantly over term this guy even if he had a good year last year.  In any case with him a FA now there is a big hole

OLB - We have had a hole at pass rushing OLB/De for years and years.  This is a gaping hole.

CB - At least one starting quality CB.  Even if we retain Claiborne we have a huge hole on the other side.

Amazing that we have so many huge holes that have to be filled.  These are must haves, the would like to have list is larger.

The gaping hole is at QB.  If we had a great young QB in here, the rest of these holes wouldn't seem as bad as they do now.

23 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I like the topic.  Here is what I thing are burning needs, in other words the minimum we need:

QB - Cousins and later pick -or- McCown and first round pick.  (1 FA / 1 Draft)

O-Line - Center (1 FA)

RB - (1 Draft)

TE - (1 FA) - ASJ or other. We have Sterling, Tomlinson and Legget without ASJ, but one more vet would help and keep best 2-3.

WR - (1 FA) - Landry would be nice. 

DL - (1 FA / 1 Draft) - I think at minimum we need 2.  One edge (Draft) and one to replace Wilk.

ILB - (1 FA) - Davis, or other.  Maybe 2 and move Lee to the outside.

OLB - (1 Draft) - Jenkins is only one we have that can really amount to something. 

CB - (1 FA / 1 Draft) - Claiborne is injury prone if he goes down we need the depth.  Not impressed with anyone we have at CB.

That's 7 Free Agents and 5 draft picks.  We can add depth with later draft picks.

okay and divide the 7 free agents into the 100m cap room and you get an average of about 14 m each.

6 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Good question.Williams, Jenkins, Adams, Lee, shell are guys you can build on.

I like the culture change I saw happening this year. But, The offensive leaders haven't surfaced as of yet.

This thread was all about the holes that this team needs filling. I expect this year will be the year that the lack of playmakers/ leaders on the offensive side of the ball gets addressed.

Look, knowing Woody Johnson's history, if he hadn't bought into a true long term rebuild with this regime, he would have fired them already. No doubt about it, this upcoming free agent market and draft will tell us all we need to know about this regime's strategy. So we'll see.

I think Mac can do it right. As for Bowles, the jury is still out. I question his ability to win the important games...the Buffalo loss is still a head scratcher. His half time adjustments needs to get better as well.

What I do like about him is that he's seems unafraid to make changes rather quickly. He's unafraid fire assistants rather quickly and that's a good thing. Too many head coaches think high and mighty of themselves and fail to realize that if something is broke they should fix it. That tells me he's willing to change and willing to improve. Plus no matter how much negative press he gets around here there is no denying that players like playing for him and it seems like he's got the full attention of the room. That's more than half the battle.

It's going to be a fun off season!

Are all Canadians this disillusioned? Is it the free health care? Shell is a foundational piece? I stopped reading there. 

It's QB, it really is, everything else fades compared to a Franchise QB. Ours left in 1976.

I look at the original (Merger) AFC EAST:-

Bills - Kelly

Dolphins - Marino  

Indy - Manning

Jets - ? (After Joe)

Pats - Brady

All these teams have had HOF franchise QB's in the modern era, except One! - All have been to the Super Bowl in the modern era except one. There seems to be a pattern.

The problem is, I'm more convinced than ever the Johnson's are clueless. At least Dallas and the Pat's meddling owners understand you need a QB! - If I owned the Jets I'd be in the Draft War room, and I'd tell Macc and Bowles if you go D before round 3. I'm going to can you where you stand!

Even the best of the rest have not been great.

Vinny (one good year).

Pennington (pre shoulder injury).

Ken O'Brien.

Richard Todd.

McCown.

Fitzpatrick. 

I could go on, bottom line Draft a QB!!!! 

Those are not all large holes. where we have large holes are:

QB- until we get a longterm solution

OL- This is the biggest area of weakness on the tam that needs to be addressed.  we need a Cowboys offseason like they had a few years ago where they went from worst OL to best in one offseason.

That's really it as far as major holes, we have plenty of other holes to plug but large?  we have talented RBs, talented WRs(depending upon what happens w/ snoop Rob), talented DL, talented LBs, talented secondary.  we need help in all of those areas but I wouldn't describe them as large holes.

7 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Yes and if you take out 30M for Cousins we're down to $10M per.

nothing to sneeze at but if you're a player's agent i'm sure you're doing the same calculation. there may be chance they don't spend it all.  they're only required to spend 90% of the total cap and they can carry forward the unspent cap money.  i'm no capologist but they will also have some of their current players to take care of in the near future so they still have to real careful.

we'll see what happens but it looks like they can make a good splash.

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Are all Canadians this disillusioned? Is it the free health care? Shell is a foundational piece? I stopped reading there. 

It's the legalized pot.

God bless Canada 

Oh and when you didn't tell me of the teams turned themselves into superbowl contenders in as little as 3 years, I should have stopped reading as well.

Regardless, enjoy the rebuild.

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

It's the legalized pot.

God bless Canada 

Oh and when you didn't tell me of the teams turned themselves into superbowl contenders in as little as 3 years, I should have stopped reading as well.

Regardless, enjoy the rebuild.

Are you enjoying pointless 5 win seasons? Look at the Jaguars. There are plenty of examples. The Jets just have inept leadership to get it done. 

On 1/19/2018 at 2:47 PM, section314 said:

I agree with you that he can play. Name me one thing ASJ does that this kid can't? That's right, nothing. 

Ya, how about blocking - that "other thing" TEs sometimes have to do. You two chodles can step down off the sterling soapbox - he's an interesting player to keep around, but not someone you base your roster moves on, yet. 

On 1/19/2018 at 5:34 PM, Beerfish said:

QB - At least two.  We need a starter (even if the team decides to being back mccown) and for sure a backup, I see no viable backup between petty and Hack.

Oline - Absolute minimum of one, that being Center which was atrocious last year.  I actually think we need two more good pieces this year but an arguemtn could be made that the Guards and Tackles are good enough for another year.

RB -  At least one.  It will be a disaster if the team retains Forte when we are hearing about wanting to run more.

TE - At least one.  Whether we retain ASJ ore go in another direction we need at least one starting TE.

WR - At least one.  The Anderson thing just opened up a hole on the team.  I don't think we had a true #1 guy before but we for sure do not now.

DL - At least one.  Mo wilk is a goner so we need to get at least one staring dlineman, which is a sad indictment of the team after what we have put into the position.

ILB - At least one.  Davis is a FA, we should not over pay or more importantly over term this guy even if he had a good year last year.  In any case with him a FA now there is a big hole

OLB - We have had a hole at pass rushing OLB/De for years and years.  This is a gaping hole.

CB - At least one starting quality CB.  Even if we retain Claiborne we have a huge hole on the other side.

Amazing that we have so many huge holes that have to be filled.  These are must haves, the would like to have list is larger.

The JETS in pictures. 

73C251A3-B288-4E1A-BBEC-BBB5AA62E062.jpeg

The Mac, bowles tandem have had three full drafts and have addressed two positions, punter and safety.  Pretty well all other spots are the same or worse.

Lets look at new orleans draft last year:  #1 pro bowl cornerback, starting good oilineman, Ultra play making weapon, another all rooklie, a starting good all rookie team safety, a linebacker that was starting for them before getting hurt.

The jets have been atrocious at filling holes and just as bad the value of the few holes they have filled.

If Mac does not have a new orleans like draft this year he should be sent packing 100% for sure.

Archived