SenorGato

Today!

Cut:

Wilkerson, Forte, Powell, Carpenter, Ijalana, Smith, Mauldin, Skrine

Cap: ~115

Resign: 

The kicker

FA:

Cousins (28, 5/90/150) - Basically a 3 year deal, the length of time the cap is flying up. Call it the cost of ~50 years of ineptitude at one position. 

Nowell (16, 5/51/80) - Out after 2020 

Jensen (10, 4/21/40) Out after 2019

Burton (8, 4/25/36) - Out after  2020

Bell (16, 5/54/84) - Out after 2020

Tyler Eifert (4, 2/5/12)  

Gaines (13, 5/32/65) - Out after 2019 

Cap: ~15

Draft:

1: Brian O’Neill OT Pitt - Cousins’ new Trent Williams.

2: Anthony Miller WR Memphis / James Washington WR OkSU 

2: Quenton Meeks CB Stanford

3: Mason Rudolph QB OkSU

4: Marquis Haynes DPR 

5: Greg Stroman/Brandon Facyson CB VT

6: Royce Freeman RB Oregon / Pick your favorite late round RB 

7: Coleman Shleton C Washington

QB: Cousins, Rudolph, Hack/Petty

OL: O’Neill, Norwell, Jensen, Winters, Beachum, Shell, Shelton

Weaponz: Bell, Miller, Burton, Freeman, Anderson?, shotgun approach

DL: Williams, McLeoden, Simon, randoms, Haynes

LB: Lee, Jenkins, Martin, Haynes

DB: LoM, Maye, Gaines, Meeks, Roberts, shotgun approach

Overall steaming hot take:

Everything you need to get Los Yets ready for 2018 and beyond. There’s a highly qualified QB, a serious QB prospect, a now deep and young OL, a dangerous duo at RB with like a master/apprentice thing going, pass catchers at every position, and a bunch of pass defenders to stop other passing offenses. 

Tidy offseason

I think you’re after the wrong RB back though Gato. Isaiah Crowell is the guy, vastly underrated, only 25 and a 3 down back who shouldn’t come anywhere near the cost of Bell and with far less mileage.

Would consider Kyle Fuller as well at CB if we can’t re-sign Claiborne but EJ Gaines I can live with.

I like your draft a lot other than O’Neill only because I really don’t know anything about him. I’d prefer Marcus Davenport because we still need an Abraham-esque pass rusher. and I think we can make do with Beachum or go McGlinchey in the 1st or Martinas Rankin/Will Hernandez/Isaiah Wynn on Day 2. Love the Freeman pick, and Haynes. 

I still think Rudolph is a first rounder but I’m feeling indulgent. How about Mike White or Falk instead?....and I might be taking Logan Woodside in the 5th or 6th if we can’t go QB earlier

1-Marcus Davenport

2-Martinas Rankin / Will Hernandez

2-Anthony Miller

3-Quenton Meeks 

4-Marquis Haynes

5-Adonis Alexander / Arrion Springs

6-Royce Freeman / LJ Scott / Logan Woodside

7-Coleman Shelton / Ian Thomas(TE Indiana)

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Tidy offseason

I think you’re after the wrong RB back though Gato. Isaiah Crowell is the guy, vastly underrated, only 25 and a 3 down back who shouldn’t come anywhere near the cost of Bell and with far less mileage.

Would consider Kyle Fuller as well at CB if we can’t re-sign Claiborne but EJ Gaines I can live with.

I like your draft a lot other than O’Neill only because I really don’t know anything about him. I’d prefer Marcus Davenport because we still need an Abraham-esque pass rusher. and I think we can make do with Beachum or go McGlinchey in the 1st or Martinas Rankin/Will Hernandez/Isaiah Wynn on Day 2. Love the Freeman pick, and Haynes. 

I still think Rudolph is a first rounder but I’m feeling indulgent. How about Mike White or Falk instead?....and I might be taking Logan Woodside in the 5th or 6th if we can’t go QB earlier

1-Marcus Davenport

2-Martinas Rankin / Will Hernandez

2-Anthony Miller

3-Quenton Meeks 

4-Marquis Haynes

5-Adonis Alexander / Arrion Springs

6-Royce Freeman / LJ Scott / Logan Woodside

7-Coleman Shelton / Ian Thomas(TE Indiana)

Davenport was one I was having a GREAT internal debate over....Basically decided to pick the Davenport of OTs instead, a guy who may become a top 10 pick after the combine off being a freak. I’m all about the offense this offseason. 

I get the thinking on Crowell but for me the FA money is about certainty and Bell’s way more that as well as just being better. My perceived upside buy in FA is Burton or maybe Gaines. That and if you look at the Jets under Bowles the RB position and production has sucked outside of a stretch by Powell in 2016 and the 2018 roster doesn’t have an outright stud Weaponz without him. I take the sure thing since the money is there. 

I tend to agree with you on Rudolph - he’s arguably the cleanest QB prospect in the draft. The Meeks spot in the second is another where I’d consider the freakiest pass rusher available if not the second. Meeks might go in the first anyway, I think we see a run on OL and CBs in the first round on draft day. I originally had Harold Landry there as a stand in for Freakiest pass rusher available.

I’d love Alexander - I like VT DBs and all three of their corners in this draft are quality under the radar prospects. 

So maybe something like:

1: O’Neill OT

2: Landry DE/OLB

2: James Washington WR

3: Nyheim Hines RB

4: Adonis Alexander CB

5: Mason Cole/James Daniels IOL

6: Kyle Lauletta QB

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Davenport was one I was having a GREAT internal debate over....Basically decided to pick the Davenport of OTs instead, a guy who may become a top 10 pick after the combine off being a freak. I’m all about the offense this offseason. 

I get the thinking on Crowell but for me the FA money is about certainty and Bell’s way more that as well as just being better. My perceived upside buy in FA is Burton or maybe Gaines. That and if you look at the Jets under Bowles the RB position and production has sucked outside of a stretch by Powell in 2016 and the 2018 roster doesn’t have an outright stud Weaponz without him. I take the sure thing since the money is there. 

I tend to agree with you on Rudolph - he’s arguably the cleanest QB prospect in the draft. The Meeks spot in the second is another where I’d consider the freakiest pass rusher available if not the second. Meeks might go in the first anyway, I think we see a run on OL and CBs in the first round on draft day. I originally had Harold Landry there as a stand in for Freakiest pass rusher available.

I’d love Alexander - I like VT DBs and all three of their corners in this draft are quality under the radar prospects. 

So maybe something like:

1: O’Neill OT

2: Landry DE/OLB

2: James Washington WR

3: Nyheim Hines RB

4: Adonis Alexander CB

5: Mason Cole/James Daniels IOL

Good post, I take your point about Bell but I think Crowell is the goods and will flourish in the right situation....he’s already excellent but I think he’s like Chris Ivory when he came to us, he’s not even scratched the surface. And crucially, he isn’t looking for 15M per!...hell he might even pay us to get him out of Cleveland!!

agree about VT corners, they are always good. I take a long look at Fuller in FA for that reason.

Landry in the 2nd would be a very sexy consolation prize and Washington is always impressive and Uber productive. He won’t test off the charts like Marcell Ateman  hence Ateman goes maybe 1st and perhaps JW drops..

I love Courtland Sutton but think he could go top 10 and like the idea of a big-Body like Jaleel Scott or Tate but realistically if we are going to add a WR into our already pretty healthy depth chart I think we have to consider return abilty so Dante Pettis comes into play. I guess we have to give Brant Boyer something to play with because the return game has been dormant for years.

i like your upside buys in Burton and Gaines.

my only other question is can O’Neill or Davenport be gotten at 6 or is there scope to drop back a few spots and add another 2nd rounder if a willing partner can be found?

On 1/20/2018 at 11:58 AM, redlichtie said:

Good post, I take your point about Bell but I think Crowell is the goods and will flourish in the right situation....he’s already excellent but I think he’s like Chris Ivory when he came to us, he’s not even scratched the surface. And crucially, he isn’t looking for 15M per!...hell he might even pay us to get him out of Cleveland!!

Another thing with Crowell is that if he’s as good as he might be Cleveland is the team with more cap space than the Jets. 

This is fun and all. But there is simply and absolutely no way the Jets will be getting majority of these guys. It just doesn't happen this way. 

Although I'd rather have them draft a QB, I'd be happy if the Jets were able to get Cousins and Jensen, addressing two of their biggest needs. 

I'd be happy with that, along with some stop-gap vets to fill out holes and a solid draft.  

image.png

Today’s dream! Same FAs and cuts:

1: Saquon Barkley RB

2: Isaiah Wynn OG

2: Tyrell Crosby OT

3: Equanimeous St. Brown WR

4: Marquis Haynes DPR

5: Adonis Alexander/Greg Stroman CB

Run game established with Bell and Barkley, new OL, new QBs, new pass rusher, and a WR

2 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Stay away from Bell!!!!! You never want to give a RB with high mileage a long term big money contract, which is what he expects. It is a sure fire way to get burned.

Bell’s not even a high mileage RB yet. He’s had one season, 2017, where he got used like an old school back and it was MVP caliber. 

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

5 years and over 1200 carries is enough for me to not want to throw aton of money and along term deal at him. 

Averaging 240 carries is solidly below the workload of similarly productive backs historically. For instance, Ladanian Tomlinson carried the ball ~330 times a year from ages 22-25. 

Bell’s the most versatile and valuable back in the league likely hitting the market in his prime. This is exactly the kind of talent the Jets are in a position to pay without hurting The Future while significantly improving the present. Paired with Cousins and two stud OL like this offseason and they’re contenders even before the draft. 

6 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

It would have to be the kind of contract that Maac has liked to give out, two years garaunteed salary no SB, which i doubt you will be able to get from Bell

Wilkerson got a $15 million dollar signing bonus. Do agree that the contracts will be structured like the Wilkerson/Revis deals that were essentially 2 year deals. That contract structure is going to look familiar this offseason with most teams building outs after 2020 oven 2019.

Archived