When hindsight comes around will Cousins’ FA deal...

SenorGato

Just now, SenorGato said:

I’m actually really into Barkley at 6 if they land Cousins. Offense 4 dayz

I don't go into it but this is why I want the Jets to acquire Cousins!!!

It can change everything for them overnight.  People comparing this to getting Fitzpatrick and Marshall don't get it at all.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I’m actually really into Barkley at 6 if they land Cousins. Offense 4 dayz

At the end of the day, I don’t see any way Barkley or Chubb falls to #6. It’s possible, and I know we’ve said this in the past and walked away with Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams, but I don’t see it happening.

Taking that into consideration, if the Jets land Cousins, Quenton Nelson would probably be at the top of my wishlist if he’s there. He might be the best all-around OL to enter the draft in a decade.

Many will argue that interior OL aren’t premium players, but I disagree. The value of interior DL has skyrocketed over the years and the best OG’s in the league make $12+ million a year.

Nelson might be the best overall player in the draft and would in all likelihood give you an all-pro at LG for the next 10+ years.

And if you’re going to pay Cousins an average of around $28 million a year and give him $60+ million guaranteed...you better damn well make sure that he stays upright.

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

At the end of the day, I don’t see anyway Barkley or Chubb falls to #6. It’s possible, and I know we’ve said this in the past and walked away with Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams, but I don’t see it happening.

Taking that into consideration, if the Jets land Cousins, Quenton Nelson would probably be at the top of my wishlist if he’s there. He might be the best all-around OL to enter the draft in a decade.

Many will argue that interior OL aren’t premium players, but I disagree. The value of interior DL has skyrocketed over the years and the best OG’s in the league make $12+ million a year.

Nelson might be the best overall player in the draft and would in all likelihood give you an all-pro at LG for the next 10+ years.

And if you’re going to pay Cousins an average of around $28 million a year and give him $60+ million guaranteed...you better damn well make sure that he stays upright.

I imagine there will be a better prospect than a G available at 6, even a really good G. Also believe they’d spend big on FA OL if they landing Cousins. If there’s a top OT prospect at 6, if someone Lane Johnsons or Trent Williams the combine, take that guy. 

That said there’s definitely some validity to what you’re saying. The Panthers G is looking at as much as $16-18 a year in FA. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I imagine there will be a better prospect than a G available at 6, even a really good G. Also believe they’d spend big on FA OL if they landing Cousins. 

There are no free agent OT’s or OG’s  (besides Norwell) worth mentioning this year.

I think the Jets will look to land a starting center like Jensen or Richburg in FA, but any further upgrading to the OL will need to be done through the draft.

If the Jets land, let’s say...Cousins, Demarcus Lawrence and Trumaine Johnson in FA and guys like Chubb and Barkley are off the board at #6...you could do much worse than adding an elite, bluechip OL to the mix to help open up holes in the running game and keep your mega investment at QB standing.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

There are no free agent OT’s or OG’s  (besides Norwell) worth mentioning this year.

I think the Jets will look to land a starting center like Jensen or Richburg in FA, but any further upgrading to the OL will need to be done through the draft.

If the Jets land, let’s say...Cousins, Demarcus Lawrence and Trumaine Johnson in FA and guys like Chubb and Barkley are off the board at #6...you could do much worse than adding an elite, bluechip OL to the mix to help open up holes in the running game and keep your mega investment at QB standing.

Thing is I don’t see the Jets paying $15-18 million dollars for defense let alone defense twice. Lawrence is a virtual lock to be tagged as well. More likely, especially if they land Cousins, those same salaries can go to Norwell, Jensen, and a possession guy in Burton. 

It’s all aboot offense.

That said if they were to go down that route...Sure? 

12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

At the end of the day, I don’t see any way Barkley or Chubb falls to #6. It’s possible, and I know we’ve said this in the past and walked away with Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams, but I don’t see it happening.

I completely agree, this is how I see it playing out as well. If we get Cousins I think 3 QBs go in the top 5 plus Chubb and Barkley. Assuming we went CB in FA given the depth available there I don't think we take Fitzpatrick, although I wouldn't really hate that pick. I'm 100% on board with Nelson + Jensen this offseason then a top RB at 2a or 2b. Then I'd look to double dip at Edge with one of the 2s and our 3rd. I could live with a LT at 6 but I'm not sure there is a consensus #1 guy. I'd rather the generational Guard and look at LT next year giving Beachum 1 more year.

30 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I completely agree, this is how I see it playing out as well. If we get Cousins I think 3 QBs go in the top 5 plus Chubb and Barkley. Assuming we went CB in FA given the depth available there I don't think we take Fitzpatrick, although I wouldn't really hate that pick. I'm 100% on board with Nelson + Jensen this offseason then a top RB at 2a or 2b. Then I'd look to double dip at Edge with one of the 2s and our 3rd. I could live with a LT at 6 but I'm not sure there is a consensus #1 guy. I'd rather the generational Guard and look at LT next year giving Beachum 1 more year.

Agree with you on the 2nd round best RB available. Macc can't miss on this one. Kamara should have been a Jet with an Glue horse Forte & Powell our only backs B4 last years draft. Sign Cousins, Jensen, draft Nelson (who wouldn't want a John Hannah type). With a healthy Winters, (maybe we could trade Carpenter?), Jensen & Nelson, that's a bad azz interior Oline. Could form a nice pocket for Kirk to step up into. Let's score some freaking points for a change! I'd have no problem Jets going Cousins/Jensen & Gaines/ Edge in FA as long as the draft goes offensive this year. Now if Chubb dropped to 6, I'd take Chubb B4 Nelson. But a draft of Nelson, Stud RB & WR with 2A & 2B, I'm not complaining at all. If somehow the Jets could end up with Kirk Cousins, you need to give him 2 things, protection & weapons! A capable QB would change the entire dynamic of this team. An offense that can move the ball excites your stars. An offense that moves the ball & scores points excites the defense. It's a symbiotic relationship that the Jets have lacked for as long as I can remember. Even Rex or Parcells never had an above average offense here. Let's finally move into this new NFL.

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Agree with you on the 2nd round best RB available. Macc can't miss on this one. Kamara should have been a Jet with an Glue horse Forte & Powell our only backs B4 last years draft. Sign Cousins, Jensen, draft Nelson (who wouldn't want a John Hannah type). With a healthy Winters, (maybe we could trade Carpenter?), Jensen & Nelson, that's a bad azz interior Oline. Could form a nice pocket for Kirk to step up into. Let's score some freaking points for a change! I'd have no problem Jets going Cousins/Jensen & Gaines/ Edge in FA as long as the draft goes offensive this year. Now if Chubb dropped to 6, I'd take Chubb B4 Nelson. But a draft of Nelson, Stud RB & WR with 2A & 2B, I'm not complaining at all. If somehow the Jets could end up with Kirk Cousins, you need to give him 2 things, protection & weapons! A capable QB would change the entire dynamic of this team. An offense that can move the ball excites your stars. An offense that moves the ball & scores points excites the defense. It's a symbiotic relationship that the Jets have lacked for as long as I can remember. Even Rex or Parcells never had an above average offense here. Let's finally move into this new NFL.

Preach! Yea only thing I disagree on is WR/Edge. I think there is a lot of depth at WR in FA compared to Edge so IMO I think we flip flop that but as long as they are addressed I'm happy. My main targets would be Robinson or Moncrief because I don't think either will demand top dollar if we can't get them then I am completely fine with some combination of Edge/RB/WR in rounds 2 and 3 (if Nelson were the pick at 6)

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Preach! Yea only thing I disagree on is WR/Edge. I think there is a lot of depth at WR in FA compared to Edge so IMO I think we flip flop that but as long as they are addressed I'm happy. My main targets would be Robinson or Moncrief because I don't think either will demand top dollar if we can't get them then I am completely fine with some combination of Edge/RB/WR in rounds 2 and 3 (if Nelson were the pick at 6)

If we're going FA wide receiver I want Jarvis Landry. The Pats have no one who can guard him! He's tenacious, a bit of a head case but not in the OBJ realm. You hurt Miami, Landry hurts the Pats, because he's so good in the slot, everything outside will be open. 

We'll have 105 million. I WANT STUDS! 

* I had Robinson in my fantasy league before he was injured, he drops way too many balls for my liking & he lost confidence. You do that in NY he'll find out NY is much tougher than Jacksonville.

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

If we're going FA wide receiver I want Jarvis Landry. The Pats have no one who can guard him! He's tenacious, a bit of a head case but not in the OBJ realm. You hurt Miami, Landry hurts the Pats, because he's so good in the slot, everything outside will be open. 

We'll have 105 million. I WANT STUDS! 

* I had Robinson in my fantasy league before he was injured, he drops way too many balls for my liking & he lost confidence. You do that in NY he'll find out NY is much tougher than Jacksonville.

Jarvis Landry’s 2 games facing the Pats last season:

17 catches 116 yards and 2 touchdowns

YA THINK THE JETS MIGHT WANT THAT?!?

On 1/22/2018 at 2:03 PM, SenorGato said:

One minute no top tier FAs hit FA, the next minute top guys in the middle of the prime will hit. Conclusion: Jets will have no one to buy even with Cousins. 

Plus it’s gone from don’t pursue Cousins because he can’t win to this guy ready to win will turn down the Jets because they’re not ready. Convenient how that all works out for you. 

Everyone in the history of everyone wants to build through the draft.

You really are dense. Do you really believe Dallas and Pittsburgh will let their guys hit FA? Especially since published reports have Bell and the Steelers closer than was once thought? And Dallas has said their first priority is to sign a certain edge rusher to an extension? Face it pal you're dreaming if you really think those guys are just going to be let go by their respective teams. The conclusion is that 2nd tier FA's are not the answer to the Jets problem. Haven't they proven that time and time again? Oh I forgot you discount the facts and fill them with half-baked conclusions and nonsensical bullsh*t.

I never said Cousins couldn't win. I said he couldn't win HERE right away. Once again you prove what an Amoretz you are. It matters not. You believe what you believe and I know what I know. We will see who is right or wrong soon.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Dallas and Pittsburgh have all desireable FAs and will resign all. Are you such an Amoretz dense that you disagree? Also the Jets can sign 4+ $15 million dollar FAs but also no one will be avalable and also it is a quick fix anyway. Also now Cousins might win later if he learns how to win because remember the W-L record. You also forgot the catch I was hiding that the W-L indicates he might win here later but he is ready to win elsewhere as I proved with the case I was making for the W-L record.

You are a Amoretz and also dense.

Yes between us in this convo it is I that is dense. 

New York Jets: Josh McCown + Rookie Quarterback

8 OF 10

49d781adc1dc4402353c241bae244d58_crop_ex
Dustin Bradford/Getty Images

I think the New York Jets are in the conversation for a quarterback with the sixth overall pick. They might even trade up in order to secure the long-term answer they need.

New York, however, should bring back veteran Josh McCown and make him the starter going into training camp. The last thing the Jets need is to rush a rookie onto the field before he is ready. They can still win games with McCown while allowing the signal-caller of the future to develop.

A lot of people were impressed with McCown last year. He still has a strong arm, he's a better athlete than people give him credit for being, and he has years of experience under his belt. He helped keep New York in the playoff picture far longer than anyone expected.

New York can continue building its roster while McCown leads the offense. That will allow the Jets to throw their new franchise quarterback into the mix when—and only when—he's ready.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:28 PM, bla bla bla said:

Yea you basically repeated my sentiments on why I don't think we will be able to attract many FAs outside of getting Cousins or over paying. It's not bad to spend in free agency when you have $111M in cap space, you just have to spend it in a fashion that doesn't prevent you from losing home grown talent. I want to build through the draft but without over spending on someone like Cousins we will likely need to give up draft picks to get our QB. We are going to need to spend money to get talent here whether it's to surround Cousins with draft picks or if it's to support our rookie QB with FAs. I find it hard to believe we sit at #6 after missing out on Cousins, IMO we'd look to move up as high as possible.

I agree with most of your post. See the one thing everyone seems to be forgetting is who will be making these decisions. Macc. You have a lot more faith in him than I do. I have no faith in Macc's ability to make these moves and attract FA's.

13 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Look at you. Reduced to making a counterfeit post because you have nothing else to add. Poor baby. I almost feel sorry for you. Almost.

You were name calling and thwowing a tantwum like 4 posts in after that W-L nonsense fell flat. You just bumped a two day old post to keep saying Amoretz over and over because you think it sounds witty enough to hide how dumb snd topsy turvy everything else you say is!  You can’t even keep the same story going for two posts for Jah’s sake! 

17 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I agree with most of your post. See the one thing everyone seems to be forgetting is who will be making these decisions. Macc. You have a lot more faith in him than I do. I have no faith in Macc's ability to make these moves and attract FA's.

Today’s story:

It’s not that Cousins and FAs is not an option, it’s that GM guy can’t pull that off! Secretly this was the case the whole time! 

20 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Today’s story:

It’s not that Cousins and FAs is not an option, it’s that GM guy can’t pull that off! Secretly this was the case the whole time! 

Denver is said to make a major push for Cousins. Going to a team run by 1 of the best qbs ever to play, has to be more appealing than a team who ignores the offense and fires the OC every yr ?. Darnold or Rosen could fall to the jets at 6 if Denver gets cousins. Especially if browns take Allen. 

44 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Denver is said to make a major push for Cousins. Going to a team run by 1 of the best qbs ever to play

The Broncos are bad at football, don’t have the money, is looking to cut or trade more starters from that vaunted early decade defense, and no one cares what Elway did 20 years ago when he was doing something else. 

25 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The Broncos are bad at football, don’t have the money, is looking to cut or trade more starters from that vaunted early decade defense, and no one cares what Elway did 20 years ago when he was doing something else. 

Well my point is, he handled Peyton coming over very well. They obviously aren’t great now and need work. I’m just saying he obviously doesn’t look at offense like it is a required class you must take in college like the jets do.  It is a lot easier to clear up $$ than people think. This is football not baseball. Lot of $$ is not guaranteed. They will have to cut some players but it wouldn’t be hard. They know what it will take to get Cousins, and wouldn’t be making a go at him thinking they are getting him for a cheap discount ha.

15 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well my point is, he handled Peyton coming over very well. 

That’s cool. He also had more money, a loaded and young team, and a HOF willing to spend his last years there. This is not the current situation of the Broncos. Nobody cares that the Jets were actually a good team two years ago, who could care what the Broncos did 5-10-20 years ago? 

- That it’s not like baseball contracts works in the Jets’ favor when they inevitably sign Cousins. Definitely Not the angle to go with,  the Jets can and likely will beat any $ amount the Broncos can offer.

- That the team picking 5th overall has to cut or extend multiple starters is not a good selling point either

This is probably only the dozenth time the same points and counterpoints have been made THO 

9 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

That’s cool. He also had more money, a loaded and young team, and a HOF willing to spend his last years there. This is not the current situation of the Broncos. Nobody cares that the Jets were actually a good team two years ago, who could care what the Broncos did 5-10-20 years ago? 

- That it’s not like baseball contracts works in the Jets’ favor when they inevitably sign Cousins. Definitely Not the angle to go with,  the Jets can and likely will beat any $ amount the Broncos can offer.

- That the team picking 5th overall has to cut or extend multiple starters is not a good selling point either

This is probably only the dozenth time the same points and counterpoints have been made THO 

So your saying the jets will grossly over pay for Cousins? That is a good thing ? Lol. You are right, the jets could do that, and would be dumb enough to do it also. Cousins is not a great qb that you should pay anything to. Cousins will certainly use the jets to drive up his price. He is going to have a good amount of suitors. Again it’s not hard to clear cap. Cuts and trades. My worry is if Denver doesn’t get him or Alex Smith, they will draft darnold or Rosen right in front of us. And we will end up drafting a safety/corner ??

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So your saying the jets will grossly over pay for Cousins? 

You just said he compared him favorably to Peyton Manning meaning - using this new poster fueled JN logic math - you think he IS Peyton Manning:

29 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Well my point is, he handled Peyton coming over very well. 

In which case this is not an overpay so much as paying a badass QB! QED! You provided the proof yourself even. 

It’s going to be much fun to see some of you lose it when the Jets land Cousins. 

19 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

You just said he compared him favorably to Peyton Manning meaning - using this new poster fueled JN logic math - you think he IS Peyton Manning:

In which case this is not an overpay so much as paying a badass QB! QED! You provided the proof yourself even. 

It’s going to be much fun to see some of you lose it when the Jets land Cousins. 

Lol no no no son ! ? all I said is with the right qb elway delivered a championship. No way in hell would I ever compare a slightly above average qb Who hasn’t won anything to Peyton Manning lol. Actually the yr broncos won the Super Bowl it was manning’s Last yr, and he was pretty broken down and played poorly at times. Brock started a bunch of games because he was so bad. Josh McCown would have won the superbowl with that stacked team. 

I’m not saying the jets won’t get Cousins. I’m just saying if $$ is not his first priority, the jets will not be his his priority. If teams get close to jets offer, he likely goes elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol no no no son !

That’s exactly what that was! You love <3 Cousins so much you just compared him to Peyton Manning! 

None of the FAs are giving discounts but assuming that going in for anyone is asinine, moreso to play for a bottom 5 team like the Broncos. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

That’s exactly what that was! You love <3 Cousins so much you just compared him to Peyton Manning! 

None of the FAs are giving discounts but assuming that going in for anyone is asinine, moreso to play for a bottom 5 team like the Broncos. 

??? Well think of it this way. Is this going to be kirk’s last contract ? No, absolutely not. Will going to a run first team, team that doesn’t have ANY stars on O, a weak line, and a HC who ignores the offense like the Plague, be the place to go to max his stats ?? There is no stability at jets. Bowles and Mac used up all their scapegoats, we change OCs every yr and just fired 1 because he “ threw to much” when we were only in the median of throw attempts. Hey will see. The jags will be in play too. 

8 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

It's much harder to attract top FAs at multiple positions than it is to land to land 1 guy, which is why a Cousins deal makes sense for him.

- Allows him to attract FAs because you now have a good QB

- Allows him to accurately grade Bowles (potentially leading to him selecting the next coach)

- Since he tried to trade for him in 2015 it tells me he probably liked him coming out of the draft too (this was before he really started playing well)

- Allows him to use his draft picks to select BPA 

As far as Jensen goes he's shown interest in top OL in the past during FA, with so much money and a clear weakness at center you'd have to imagine he tries to fill that prior to the draft. He wants to go BPA and leaving Center open before the draft does no let him do that.

If we indeed cut Skrine and have Claiborne hitting FA then you'd have to imagine he wants to maintain the same amount of players at that position, with the plethora of FAs available I'd be stunned if we don't come away with Claiborne + FA. 

I don't feel like these moves are tough to see happening.

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Today’s story:

This is why you are Amoretz. I have stated many times that Macc is not up too the task. Just look at any thread I have posted in that has Macc as the subject. It really doesn't matter though. As I said before you believe what you believe and I will do the same.

30 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It's much harder to attract top FAs at multiple positions than it is to land to land 1 guy, which is why a Cousins deal makes sense for him.

- Allows him to attract FAs because you now have a good QB

- Allows him to accurately grade Bowles (potentially leading to him selecting the next coach)

- Since he tried to trade for him in 2015 it tells me he probably liked him coming out of the draft too (this was before he really started playing well)

- Allows him to use his draft picks to select BPA 

As far as Jensen goes he's shown interest in top OL in the past during FA, with so much money and a clear weakness at center you'd have to imagine he tries to fill that prior to the draft. He wants to go BPA and leaving Center open before the draft does no let him do that.

If we indeed cut Skrine and have Claiborne hitting FA then you'd have to imagine he wants to maintain the same amount of players at that position, with the plethora of FAs available I'd be stunned if we don't come away with Claiborne + FA. 

I don't feel like these moves are tough to see happening.

Maybe so. Maybe not. I have little to no confidence in Macc and while he may be able to land an additional CB I just don't see him getting that big ticket guy. He has shown no ability to do this in the past and has shown no willingness or ability to trade up to get his guy regardless of the price.

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

This is why you are Amoretz. I have stated many times that Macc is not up too the task. 

Hey lucky you bumped into this three days later so the half dozen conflicting, rudimentary stances you’ve made in this thread go away! It was secretly this the whole time! 

46 minutes ago, J!E!T!S! said:

I think Cousins comes down to Jags, Vikings, and Jets. 

Rough three year cap outlook on the three as of today (no cuts):

Jags: 

$25, $30, $45

Vikings:

$60, $60, $95

Jets:

$80, $115, $140

I don’t know what the Jags and Vikes can get to, my guess is $40 and maybe $70 this year with restructures. They’re both serious threats, way more than Denver, and just hope FA and that second contract is all about the $$$. 

Archived