When hindsight comes around will Cousins’ FA deal...

SenorGato

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Maybe so. Maybe not. I have little to no confidence in Macc and while he may be able to land an additional CB I just don't see him getting that big ticket guy. He has shown no ability to do this in the past and has shown no willingness or ability to trade up to get his guy regardless of the price.

He signed 3 big name FA CBs in 2015 so I find it surprising that you think he wouldn't do that again. I would like to see him target someone in the 12-13M year range. I don't know who that will be but that's the type of talent level I'd like us to bring in. If rumors are true and the Honey Badger is going to get cut I could see Bowles wanting to bring him to NY. He'd play a CB and S with Adams, basically a chess piece to use all over. I think he could probably be had for $9-10M per year.

I don't think Macc's job was on the line in previous years so trading up seems to be in the cards. It will ultimately depend on our grades on QBs and who is willing to trade. I don't think Macc skimps this year especially at that position.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I think Cousins comes down to Jags, Vikings, and Jets. 

Rough three year cap outlook on the three as of today (no cuts):

Jags: 

$25, $30, $45

Vikings:

$60, $60, $95

Jets:

$80, $115, $140

I don’t know what the Jags and Vikes can get to, my guess is $40 and maybe $70 this year with restructures. They’re both serious threats, way more than Denver, and just hope FA and that second contract is all about the $$$. 

If he hits FA I don't think we have a real shot at him unless he's looking for money. If he is transitioned than I think we have him in the bag. Will depend what Washington does with him.

17 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If he hits FA I don't think we have a real shot at him unless he's looking for money. If he is transitioned than I think we have him in the bag. Will depend what Washington does with him.

Assuming money is some trivial talking point for a player hitting FA in his early prime is not an assumption I choose to make. It completely subverts what FA is, works against the players’ and player’s interest based totally on noise in the form of speculation of character. 

I do agree the Jets are easy favorites if he is transition tagged, and that tag is most likely. In FA that gets tougher but since everyone’s selling point involves less money and more defined timelines, the Jets still have the almighty high ground of $$$.

27 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Assuming money is some trivial talking point for a player hitting FA in his early prime is not an assumption I choose to make. It completely subverts what FA is, works against the players’ and player’s interest based totally on noise in the form of speculation of character. 

I do agree the Jets are easy favorites if he is transition tagged, and that tag is most likely. In FA that gets tougher but since everyone’s selling point involves less money and more defined timelines, the Jets still have the almighty high ground of $$$.

I could see him taking less to go to the Vikings, Jags or Broncos instead of a higher deal with us. That's what I meant, I know we could put forward a tempting offer but it would ultimately come down to Kirk. He has said he wants to put himself in the best situation so if the money is comparable then I think we lose.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I could see him taking less to go to the Vikings, Jags or Broncos instead of a higher deal with us. That's what I meant, I know we could put forward a tempting offer but it would ultimately come down to Kirk. He has said he wants to put himself in the best situation so if the money is comparable then I think we lose.

For sure he’s not going to those stoners out in Denver on a discount. The Jets have enough money to not make it comparable between the three teams. Really only the Vikings have a shot at making a comparable offer to the Jets and at the end the Jets can top it.

If we live in a world where the Jaguars are now a role model winning window open franchise after a decade of top ten picks before they managed to hit two top 5s in a row, then the Jets are not this longshot franchise they keep getting painted as. The wind blows and everyone will go with it as usual. 

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I think Cousins comes down to Jags, Vikings, and Jets. 

Rough three year cap outlook on the three as of today (no cuts):

Jags: 

$25, $30, $45

Vikings:

$60, $60, $95

Jets:

$80, $115, $140

I don’t know what the Jags and Vikes can get to, my guess is $40 and maybe $70 this year with restructures. They’re both serious threats, way more than Denver, and just hope FA and that second contract is all about the $$$. 

It really comes down to who is willing to give up draft picks 

Was just looking at the Broncos’ 3 year cap outlook at OTC...The Broncos could be in great position by 2020 again when their roster clears up a little bit. Problem is they are selling that current roster to Cousins while simoultaneously needing to cut key starters like Talib to fit him on their 2018 and even 2019 roster. By 2020 the only great player from their 2017 roster under contract is Miller. Basically they’re selling him something impossible (winning with the current roster where casualty cuts are coming) with little flexibility until 2020. They’ll be one of the earliest dismissed suitors.

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Hey lucky you bumped into this three days later so the half dozen conflicting, rudimentary stances you’ve made in this thread go away! It was secretly this the whole time! 

See how you blow things out of proportion? My last post concerning you and your nonsense was less than a day ago but somehow in your convoluted sense of things that adds up to 3 days. Who cares? You seem to think your opinion is fact and anyone who disagrees with it is wrong. Despite proving that Cousins is not a special player and thats in the words of his current coach and former GM you still prattle on that he is the best thing since sliced bread. There is no getting through that Amoretz skull of yours. I guess there is just one thing let to say to a dude like you:

image.png

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

He signed 3 big name FA CBs in 2015 so I find it surprising that you think he wouldn't do that again. I would like to see him target someone in the 12-13M year range. I don't know who that will be but that's the type of talent level I'd like us to bring in. If rumors are true and the Honey Badger is going to get cut I could see Bowles wanting to bring him to NY. He'd play a CB and S with Adams, basically a chess piece to use all over. I think he could probably be had for $9-10M per year.

I don't think Macc's job was on the line in previous years so trading up seems to be in the cards. It will ultimately depend on our grades on QBs and who is willing to trade. I don't think Macc skimps this year especially at that position.

Are you really talking up Revis Cro and Skrine? How did that work out? Ghilchrist? That gives you confidence in Maccs ability to sign FA's? Come on.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Are you really talking up Revis Cro and Skrine? How did that work out? Ghilchrist? That gives you confidence in Maccs ability to sign FA's? Come on.

Hey a totally different point from what he was making in what you bolded, but don’t let that get in the way because now that is the new point. 

This MI guy does not get it, can’t keep up with himself or the discussion. 

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Hey a totally different point from what he was making in what you bolded, but don’t let that get in the way because now that is the new point. 

This MI guy does not get it, can’t keep up with himself or the discussion. 

Amoretz.

17 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

If you remember those were the "big ticket" FAs available at the time. You said you have little faith that he gets a "big ticket FA". I think you meant to say a cheaper player that out performs his deal, because Mac has shown he goes after the big ticket CBs.

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

If you remember those were the "big ticket" FAs available at the time. You said you have little faith that he gets a "big ticket FA". I think you meant to say a cheaper player that out performs his deal, because Mac has shown he goes after the big ticket CBs.

No actually what I meant was a player that lives up to that big ticket contract. I thought that was understood. Macc's FA signings and most of his draft picks so far have left a lot to be desired. That's why I'm so puzzled as to why you think this time will be any different. The only saving grace was the way those contracts were written. That seems to be the only strength Macc has when it comes to FA signings. Anyway it will be interesting to see what transpires.

Archived