Going to Disney for the week

Maxman

On 1/20/2018 at 11:00 PM, Ken Shroy said:

Disney has an agreement with Universal which has Marvel rides like Spiderman and Hulk.

Spiderman is owned by Sony. And the Hulk is owned by Universal. Marvel went through a time time years ago and sold off a lot of big stuff.

Fox snatched a lot of it up and that is what Disney just paid over 50 billion for. They bought a lot of Fox's assets, minus their name, sports channel and news network. Fox will run as an independent and much smaller organization. But all of the Marvel characters that Fox owned, are going to be Disney central now.

And Disney is adding a HUGE Star Wars park that will be open in 2019. It is an extension of Hollywood Studios (old MGM park).

That is my understanding of it all anyhow.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/20/2018 at 5:00 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Going to Disney for the week

Is this code for there being some kind of JetNation illuminati meeting this week?  Can anyone account for the whereabouts of the heads of PatriotNation, SteelersNation, CowboysNation and GiantsNation this week?  If not, then I'm assuming this is some kind of secret meeting of the heads of the 5 families.

Yes we all met. Zuckerberg was there. Facebook is going all sports, all the time. More details coming soon.  :)

On 1/21/2018 at 7:17 AM, southparkcpa said:

I have 2 kids in their 20s.  Both do Very well, went to top colleges. All of their cousins went to Disney world. Those kids are now full of TATS, smoke and have sh*tty jobs.   Their parents always wanted them happy.   Not saying I’m right, I simply didn’t want to do that.  It worked for me.  

Not wanting to go to Disney World is understandable. My wife loves it, my kids are older now and they love it. We went several times when they were young and it makes them happy. That said I totally get why people wouldn't want to go there. It is very expensive, you don't sit still for a second while you are there and it is very expensive. That needed to be said a second time lol.

But the other leaps here are a bit much:

• My daughter just got a 3.75 from a pretty good college in her first semester. She is a self-proclaimed Disney kid. She is on pace to graduate in 4 years with her a bachelors degree in English, NJ teaching certificate and a Masters degree. She graduated high school with 30 college credits and did actually go to Disney on her senior trip. She is also a self proclaimed Disney kid.
  • I have no tat's, I am not a fan of them personally. But I don't think people that have them are failures by any stretch.
  • Pretty big leap tying having a shitty job into going to Disney as a kid lol.

If I were to venture a guess I would say, had you gone to Disney two times when they were young, they still would be successful. I don't think Disney starts to corrupt until like the 5th visit but keep it to 2 just to be safe haha.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Not wanting to go to Disney World is understandable. My wife loves it, my kids are older now and they love it. We went several times when they were young and it makes them happy. That said I totally get why people wouldn't want to go there. It is very expensive, you don't sit still for a second while you are there and it is very expensive. That needed to be said a second time lol.

But the other leaps here are a bit much:

• My daughter just got a 3.75 from a pretty good college in her first semester. She is a self-proclaimed Disney kid. She is on pace to graduate in 4 years with her a bachelors degree in English, NJ teaching certificate and a Masters degree. She graduated high school with 30 college credits and did actually go to Disney on her senior trip. She is also a self proclaimed Disney kid.
  • I have no tat's, I am not a fan of them personally. But I don't think people that have them are failures by any stretch.
  • Pretty big leap tying having a sh*tty job into going to Disney as a kid lol.

If I were to venture a guess I would say, had you gone to Disney two times when they were young, they still would be successful. I don't think Disney starts to corrupt until like the 5th visit but keep it to 2 just to be safe haha.

Of course... I was making a generalization about our generation.  You’ve seen it.  Some, a few of.....Parents of your kids friends for example, spoke a good game but when it came time to do the right thing, the right thing was not as important as doing what made the kids happy.   

Yes..Disney was the example but not the subject.   

I have 2 kids in their 20s.  Both do Very well, went to top colleges. All of their cousins went to Disney world. Those kids are now full of TATS, smoke and have sh*tty jobs.   Their parents always wanted them happy.   Not saying I’m right, I simply didn’t want to do that.  It worked for me.  

Took the lads to Orlando several times and once to California when they were kids. Not sure it impacted either for better or worse.

But did think Disney especially takes advantage that their marketing tells small children it's a place they have to go. Disney in contrast to other parks doesn't give any discounts along with separate admissions for different parks. The parking situation, the ridiculously priced concessions, the fact that the park is huge and you are walking around with little often cranky kids-Disney doesn't care, fork over the $. Universal and Sea World at least seem to get it's an amusement park and it's manageable. Stayed at hotels inside Universal and Disney and outside, and Disney's hotels are overpriced dumps.

In short every time I've gone to Disney in Orlando and also in LA I felt we were ripped off-overcrowded, overpriced, shoddy. But they know you're coming anyway.  

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Of course... I was making a generalization about our generation.  You’ve seen it.  Some, a few of.....Parents of your kids friends for example, spoke a good game but when it came time to do the right thing, the right thing was not as important as doing what made the kids happy.   

Yes..Disney was the example but not the subject.   

I don't hang out with people that have children. I want my kid's to be the center of attention at all times.  :)

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Did you stay in the park at one of those resort theme places? 

Any recommendations? 

We stayed at the Polynesian. really nice. I like that it has the monorail, makes getting to the magic kingdom and epcot pretty easy. Other stuff is either a boat or bus ride. The thing is, everything there is so expensive. We stayed off property a lot when the kids were young and drove to the park each day. Being on property is better, just know that you are going to pay.

The rooms in the Polynesian seem like they were just done. Our room had a full bathroom and a second one with just a shower. Made getting ready in the morning easy and it slept 5 pretty comfortably.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We stayed at the Polynesian. really nice. I like that it has the monorail, makes getting to the magic kingdom and epcot pretty easy. Other stuff is either a boat or bus ride. The thing is, everything there is so expensive. We stayed off property a lot when the kids were young and drove to the park each day. Being on property is better, just know that you are going to pay.

The rooms in the Polynesian seem like they were just done. Our room had a full bathroom and a second one with just a shower. Made getting ready in the morning easy and it slept 5 pretty comfortably.

Going to try to go next year. The dolphin resorts are the real reason for us to go, might just do 2 days at Disney 

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

Going to try to go next year. The dolphin resorts are the real reason for us to go, might just do 2 days at Disney 

They kill you with the passes, this year we were like we will do 4 days at parks. Then when you look they say it is only x more to add the 5th day. Oh wow the 6th goes even more. Oh damn the 7th is cheaper lol.

I think we got a 7 day park hopper and it ended up being less than $70 per person per day. We did multiple parks most of the days. That is how they rope you in.

24 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Wow, Polynesian for 5, nice! Did you get one of the suites? We looked into that last year and the price for the suites was way too high for us, but we were going at a really pricey time. 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:44 AM, Maxman said:

I am flying to Orlando on Saturday morning. I had plans to hang out with Robby Anderson but he isn't answering my texts. Since those plans fell through, I decided to bring my family and we will just hang out at Disney.

You filthy animals all better behave while I am gone. The mods are all complaining and are talking about starting a union. If you guys make them do actual work they will definitely do it. I can't afford those wages, so play nice.

:)

Good luck, I call it Disneyhell.  Long lines and people cutting line for the trams.  It's what dreams are made of.

We went to Epscot only a few years ago I think it was in the early spring. No deals we had to pay regular admission for one day which was over 100 bucks each. Funny some of the rides from 20 years ago are still there, same video etc. There was a butterfly-garden area which looked very nice but I had an allergic reaction to the place and had to get out of there in a hurry. Another thing I remember is we could not find charging stations for our phones. And like everyone else we were taking lots of pics with the phones and needed a charge within a few hours. We went in one the restaurants in the country area of EPSCOT and they let us use an outlet there to charge one of the phones. Maybe we were just blind but we asked and didn't see them and you would think they would have them at a place people love to photograph. 

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We went to Epscot only a few years ago I think it was in the early spring. No deals we had to pay regular admission for one day which was over 100 bucks each. Funny some of the rides from 20 years ago are still there, same video etc. There was a butterfly-garden area which looked very nice but I had an allergic reaction to the place and had to get out of there in a hurry. Another thing I remember is we could not find charging stations for our phones. And like everyone else we were taking lots of pics with the phones and needed a charge within a few hours. We went in one the restaurants in the country area of EPSCOT and they let us use an outlet there to charge one of the phones. Maybe we were just blind but we asked and didn't see them and you would think they would have them at a place people love to photograph. 

Disney looks dated. They've changed some rides and stuff but Magic Kingdom and Epcot are old. Space Mountain is exactly the same. It's amazing how they still funnel people in and out of there while young parents max out their credit cards. Universal has a bit more going on, especially with the Harry Potter stuff if you're into that.

Being in Florida for a few years now it's pretty eye opening how many adults without children have reached out to us wanting to go to Disney. I dont get it as I'd rather travel to a million other places but to each their own.

51 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Disney looks dated. They've changed some rides and stuff but Magic Kingdom and Epcot are old. Space Mountain is exactly the same. It's amazing how they still funnel people in and out of there while young parents max out their credit cards. Universal has a bit more going on, especially with the Harry Potter stuff if you're into that.

Being in Florida for a few years now it's pretty eye opening how many adults without children have reached out to us wanting to go to Disney. I dont get it as I'd rather travel to a million different places but to each their own.

Went during Christmas time one year and was cool to see everything decorated and the holiday shows.

It’s a nice “once in a while” trip as an adult. And going late at night is much better. Crowds and lines are not as bad and a whole lot bearable with the weather. 

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

I'm back. I think there was something like 27 reported posts last week. 

Thanks for the cooperation everyone.  

Well. Sorry boss. I was responsible for 2 of those 27 reports. Also sorry for half ruining your vacation. Welcome back. :)

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

They kill you with the passes, this year we were like we will do 4 days at parks. Then when you look they say it is only x more to add the 5th day. Oh wow the 6th goes even more. Oh damn the 7th is cheaper lol.

I think we got a 7 day park hopper and it ended up being less than $70 per person per day. We did multiple parks most of the days. That is how they rope you in.

Think about the value for a dollar, relative to an NFL game or a concert, and it’s still a pretty good deal, even for a one-day pass. Tons of Broadway-quality shows, live entertainment,  and other attractions over the span of 10-12 hours winds up not costing a lot, especially if you plan your days right. 

29 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Well. Sorry boss. I was responsible for 2 of those 27 reports. Also sorry for half ruining your vacation. Welcome back. :)

You were actually 6. But its not like we are keeping track or anything lol. No worries.

28 minutes ago, shevys said:

Think about the value for a dollar, relative to an NFL game or a concert, and it’s still a pretty good deal, even for a one-day pass. Tons of Broadway-quality shows, live entertainment,  and other attractions over the span of 10-12 hours winds up not costing a lot, especially if you plan your days right. 

This is true. I give the Jets like $3000 - $4000 a year and then have expenses on top of that for tailgating. Let's round down and call if $5,000.

Nothing that I will ever do for $5,000 will cause me as much pain as the Jets do on a yearly basis lol.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Went during Christmas time one year and was cool to see everything decorated and the holiday shows.

It’s a nice “once in a while” trip as an adult. And going late at night is much better. Crowds and lines are not as bad and a whole lot bearable with the weather. 

Saw that this week, if you stayed late, you could get right on stuff with no lines. Pretty cool.

I read they average like 50,000 people a day at Magic Kingdom alone and they have capacity for 85,000. That is beyond insane.

If you take your kids out of school, which we did once, way less crowded. Went the week after Thanksgiving, had all the parks to ourselves. At that time anyway the time between Thanksgiving and when schools let out for Christmas break is (or was) their slowest time. Went there on a golf week a while back same time frame, again, very manageable. 

Does this mean if your kids invite you to go as grandparents you will be like, “hell no, I though I raised you bette than that? ” Because I got 5 kids dude and I can use much help as I can getting out of doing stuff. One getting married in June, 3 in college and one a sophomore in high school. No tats or smokers but they all have done the Disney a couple times. Maybe I can save the next generation? 

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Does this mean if your kids invite you to go as grandparents you will be like, “hell no, I though I raised you bette than that? ” Because I got 5 kids dude and I can use much help as I can getting out of doing stuff. One getting married in June, 3 in college and one a sophomore in high school. No tats or smokers but they all have done the Disney a couple times. Maybe I can save the next generation? 

I wont go....  NEVER! :)

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:28 AM, Maxman said:

Spiderman is owned by Sony. And the Hulk is owned by Universal. Marvel went through a time time years ago and sold off a lot of big stuff.

Fox snatched a lot of it up and that is what Disney just paid over 50 billion for. They bought a lot of Fox's assets, minus their name, sports channel and news network. Fox will run as an independent and much smaller organization. But all of the Marvel characters that Fox owned, are going to be Disney central now.

And Disney is adding a HUGE Star Wars park that will be open in 2019. It is an extension of Hollywood Studios (old MGM park).

That is my understanding of it all anyhow.

It's a themed Stars Wars land opening in 2019, this year they will be opening Toy Story Land at Hollywood Studios.  That park basically is getting a complete overhaul.

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Being in Florida for a few years now it's pretty eye opening how many adults without children have reached out to us wanting to go to Disney. I dont get it as I'd rather travel to a million other places but to each their own.

I love Disney and Universal.  Islands of Adventure has more big rides, Disney has more family rides.  They are both great in different ways but Disney has changed a lot in the last decade or so w/ more changes on the way

In Magic Kingdom they made new Fantasy land which expanded the park and added a new rooler coaster and another new ride as well as new restaurants and stuff.  They are also redoing Tommorowland and adding a new coaster.

In Epcot they added a Frozen ride, there will be a new coaster and also a new Ratatouille ride in France.

MGM/Hollywood Studios is basically nothing right now as they are working on 2 new lands- Toy Story and Star Wars to be completed by 2019.

Animal Kingdom just opened Avatar Land which is incredible.

It has changed a lot and will continue to change. 

Had resident passes when the kids were still living in the house.  They were there dozens of times.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:44 AM, Maxman said:

I am flying to Orlando on Saturday morning. I had plans to hang out with Robby Anderson but he isn't answering my texts. Since those plans fell through, I decided to bring my family and we will just hang out at Disney.

You filthy animals all better behave while I am gone. The mods are all complaining and are talking about starting a union. If you guys make them do actual work they will definitely do it. I can't afford those wages, so play nice.

I was just there. Go on the Avatar Ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom park. It's worth the wait

Archived