could Case Keenum be a Jets backup plan in free agency ? ? ?

kelly

15 minutes ago, kelly said:

I could definitely see Keenum as an option for the Jets.  It would be an option that I wouldn't be happy about but such is life as a Jet fan.  Evan Roberts on WFAN today said he thinks the Jets are going to going all in for Kirk Cousins because he thinks Bowles/Macc want to "win now" (probably because of their contract situation).  I think that's another reason the extensions were a mistake.

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

I suggest you google the name "Neil O'Donnell".

I understand the sentiment but not close IMO

67.6% 3547 22 TD 7 INTs

61.8% 3208 17 TDs and 4 INTs

Top one is Keenum this year and the bottom one is a combination of the best stats that O'Donnell ever put up. (Completion % from 1998, yards from 1993, TDs from 1995, and INTs from 1998)

*Edit - No I don't want Keenum

He would want a multi year deal and if we draft a player with our first pick then wouldn't you want someone short term. And there will be a good number of experienced Qbs available who might be willing to accept this kind of a deal. Starting with McCown but guys with better resumes than him. 

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I understand the sentiment but not close IMO

67.6% 3547 22 TD 7 INTs

61.8% 3208 17 TDs and 4 INTs

Top one is Keenum this year and the bottom one is a combination of the best stats that O'Donnell ever put up. (Completion % from 1998, yards from 1993, TDs from 1995, and INTs from 1998)

*Edit - No I don't want Keenum

Different era but it will be the same result if the Jets do this.

Vikings aren't letting him go. If they do he may go with his boy Shurmur.

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Different era but it will be the same result if the Jets do this.

Vikings aren't letting him go. If they do he may go with his boy Shurmur.

I think the Vikes keep 2 of the 3 QBs and the odd one out will follow Shurmur to the Giants if Eli decides he wants to be traded. My gut keeps telling me he'll go to the Jags but I don't know what to make of Bortles future.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I think the Vikes keep 2 of the 3 QBs and the odd one out will follow Shurmur to the Giants if Eli decides he wants to be traded. My gut keeps telling me he'll go to the Jags but I don't know what to make of Bortles future.

I think the Vikings will try and keep 2 of the 3 as well. I think it will be Bridgewater and Bradford though. They simply have more of a history with those 2 and may not be totally sold on Keenum being the long-term solution.

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I think the Vikings will try and keep 2 of the 3 as well. I think it will be Bridgewater and Bradford though. They simply have more of a history with those 2 and may not be totally sold on Keenum being the long-term solution.

Yea that's kind of my thinking too but if Case has them in the SB let alone if they find a way to win it, I'd be shocked if they just let him walk.

15 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

The Vikings are going to keep their Superbowl winning qb

This...

Bradford is an egg, Bridgewater is unknown after the injury and Keenum has been playing well, they did not bench him when Teddy was cleared to play so he might be the Vikings top choice...

I am very leery of these 1 hit wonders like Keenum and he will be expensive, very expensive if he wins the next two games, I am fine letting the Viking take that chance but Keenum would not be worst option for the Jets, McCown may want starters money too like Fitz did so who knows (lots of bad QB play since 8 games of Favre)

I still think it's Cousin's (and maybe a mid-low round draft pick) or draft a QB at 6 and sign a mid-level FA

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea that's kind of my thinking too but if Case has them in the SB let alone if they find a way to win it, I'd be shocked if they just let him walk.

I would too but you never know with these guys. Keenum has played well this year. Very well. He came in with no expectations and no standards to be held too. If they get to the Super Bowl and win it maybe they think he is the long term solution. Here's the thing though. If they do win it all or just fall short those expectations will be high EVERY season. Can a journeyman QB like Keenum handle them? Its hard to say. He could pull a Kurt Warner and have a great career going forward. Or he could flame out under the weight of those expectations. Time will tell but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

23 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I would too but you never know with these guys. Keenum has played well this year. Very well. He came in with no expectations and no standards to be held too. If they get to the Super Bowl and win it maybe they think he is the long term solution. Here's the thing though. If they do win it all or just fall short those expectations will be high EVERY season. Can a journeyman QB like Keenum handle them? Its hard to say. He could pull a Kurt Warner and have a great career going forward. Or he could flame out under the weight of those expectations. Time will tell but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Yea but of Bradford, Teddy and Case he has shown the ability to get them there. I think they want to keep Teddy cause his ceiling is so much higher than either guy and I think his floor is about the same as Case's or Bardford's. I just have a hard time seeing them being able to offer anything that Case could get on the open market without losing Teddy. 

I can't wait for FA to start because there are so many variables before the draft that need to play out.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Do they release Bridgewater?

No idea who they'll release.  Not going to waste time thinking about TILL they release someone.

Let's be honest, Jets Fans today are obsessing over Cousins (not a FA yet), Keenem (not a FA yet), Smith (not a FA at all), Darnold (beyond our reach) and Rosen (beyond our reach).

There is absolutely no point investing so much emotional energy in these guys until such time as a real-world opportunity to get them exists.

Right now, it does not.

Let me know when it does, and we'll have something worth talking about.

This...
Bradford is an egg, Bridgewater is unknown after the injury and Keenum has been playing well, they did not bench him when Teddy was cleared to play so he might be the Vikings top choice...
I am very leery of these 1 hit wonders like Keenum and he will be expensive, very expensive if he wins the next two games, I am fine letting the Viking take that chance but Keenum would not be worst option for the Jets, McCown may want starters money too like Fitz did so who knows (lots of bad QB play since 8 games of Favre)
I still think it's Cousin's (and maybe a mid-low round draft pick) or draft a QB at 6 and sign a mid-level FA

Don't get me wrong if the Vikings were dumb enough to let keenum go I would love to take a swing on him I thought he looked good when he was in for the rams too. I don't think the guy is a perenial probowler but he is good enough with talent around him.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Keenum is going nowhere.  Bradford and/or Bridgewater will be available. 

But if for some reason Minny loses its common sense and lets him go, he'd be fine starter while we groom our early QB draft pick for a year or two. 

Archived