Austin Seferian-Jenkins celebrates a milestone -- sober for a year

Gas2No99

Austin Seferian-Jenkins celebrates a milestone -- sober for a year

Tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who spoke publicly throughout the season about his battle with alcohol, celebrated one year of sobriety on Saturday by posting an inspirational message on his Instagram account.

their belief in me, not as an athlete but as a human. My friends who knew when to keep me in line and would keep me constant. The fans from all over the world who although I may not have responded, their stories of being sober inspire me more than words can describe. And as I put the final X through number 365 I did the same thing when I started this journey; reflect. Reflect on all the blessings that I have. Reflect on the fact that I’m not the only one out there battling this and I’m not alone. Reflect that I have a platform that has allowed me to inspire and be an example. Reflect on the next 365 days of continuing to be sober! . . ?: @sam.maller . #365#Complete #Sobriety #MyThoughts #MyWords #Growth#Blessed #Thankful #LaserFocus #ODAAT

5 HOURS AGO

Seferian-Jenkins, one of the bright spots last season for the New York Jets, recounted the past year with this interesting detail:

"I wrote the numbers 1 through 365 down on a piece of paper as a countdown. Giving myself the reminder that I needed to take one day at a time. That it was a journey not just a chapter in a story. I reflected on all those that I had hurt and the person who I had been hurting the most through it all, myself. Each day I would put an X through the day of sobriety I was on. Today, number 365."

He goes on to thank his family, the Jets organization, coaches and teammates for their support. The Jets took a chance on Seferian-Jenkins, claiming him on waivers in September, 2016 -- only days after he was arrested for DUI in Tampa and immediately released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

After a nondescript 2016, Seferian-Jenkins set career highs with 50 catches and 357 yards last season. He becomes a free agent on March 14.

Sorry, can't give the guy a thumbs up for this.  Beloved in high school, coddled in college, paid millions to play a child's game, can't control himself, 1 DUI in college, 1 DUI in the NFL, suspended under the NFL substance abuse policy. 

No prizes for acting like a man only when a disinterested free agent market and the risk of working at a car wash stare him in the face.

SAR I

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sorry, can't give the guy a thumbs up for this.  Beloved in high school, coddled in college, paid millions to play a child's game, can't control himself, 1 DUI in college, 1 DUI in the NFL, suspended under the NFL substance abuse policy. 

No prizes for acting like a man only when a disinterested free agent market and the risk of working at a car wash stare him in the face.

SAR I

Kind of like how you can’t control the words coming out your brain and not making any sense whatsoever or composed of any degree of compassion, understanding or knowledgeable relevance. You get today’s prize for The Archie Bunker post of the day.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I thought you liked sober people ?

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I know you only do this type of stuff to draw attention to yourself but c'mon man....

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I thought you liked sober people ?

Certainly.  But this is a publicity stunt to clear his name prior to free agency.  If the guy was nabbed twice for DUI, what, that means he drove drunk 50 times before getting caught?  100 times?  If he killed some kid or some bride on her way to her wedding we'd hate the guy.  So just because he got away with it isn't something to celebrate.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Certainly.  But this is a publicity stunt to clear his name prior to free agency.  If the guy was nabbed twice for DUI, what, that means he drove drunk 50 times before getting caught?  100 times?  If he killed some kid or some bride on her way to her wedding we'd hate the guy.  So just because he got away with it isn't something to celebrate.

SAR I

Hating on someone for “ what ifs” is not productive dude. I’m a second generation Sicilian immigrant, Im exhausted hating on those that already earned it. I tend to let the “ what ifs” go. 

Archived