NAMM 2018

The Crimson King

Since there seems to be a number of musicians here that are actually good folks and not egomaniacs, I thought this could be an interesting place to discuss the upcoming huge annual event in Anaheim. This year it is Jan 25-28. 

For the uninitiated, the is the National Association of Music Merchants trade show when many of this year's models of musical equipment are introduced. It can be as exciting as the NFL draft for some as you see what you will (or might) get (or have GAS for) in the coming year.

Anyone going? It has always been a dream of mine to do so. I hear that it is one amazing and exhausting weekend  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, I read that Gibson is not showing up. That in itself is very interesting.

Rumors include:

- a Boss modelling amp that runs on batteries and a wireless transmitter. Yeah, no wires at all!   

- a very interesting pedal by TCE that models the old Roland Juno-106 chorus section

- a zillion or so new takes on the Strat from Fender

- something special from Marshall using EL34's

- Guild reissuing the Jetstar from the 60's

- another version of the Tube Screamer from Ibanez (like we need more of those)

- a bunch of PRS acoustics (blasphemy!)

No word on anything from Roland or any new Boss pedals, That always gets my brain shakin'

As far as anything I'm hoping the industry Santa's will bring, I would love to see an updated version of Digtech's Jamman Stereo or at least a higher end manufacturer's looper with a ton of memory and slots and maybe even usable FX/modeling for solo gigging   

29 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

I'm a Fender homer so I'd be interested in seeing what they've got in the pipeline. Anaheim is just too damn far away though; I'll have to check it out on YouTube or something. 

Here's some leaks so far

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-american-original-relaunches-old-favourites-modern-updates/

https://www.gearnews.com/leak-fender-parallel-universe-jaguar-strat-troublemaker-tele-whiteguard-strat-jazz-tele/

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-limited-edition-meteora-launches-namm/

About 5 years ago i went into a pawn shop. Up on the wall they just put out a vintage bc rich bich in natural. It was 1800, but there was a sale. $1200! 

I went to see the serial numbers to date it, but strangely it said "anaheim 1979"

I couldnt figure this out so i went home to google it. Suddenly, i remembered the namm show was in anaheim.

I found the famous designers (name escapes me now) email. Shot an email and pic and he responded within an hour confirming that this was the 1979 bc rich bich top of the line show guitar. 

I went back right away and it was gone. 

1200 bucks....... One of a kind. Could have been worth 5 to 10k wahhhhhhh

13 hours ago, HighPitch said:

About 5 years ago i went into a pawn shop. Up on the wall they just put out a vintage bc rich bich in natural. It was 1800, but there was a sale. $1200! 

I went to see the serial numbers to date it, but strangely it said "anaheim 1979"

I couldnt figure this out so i went home to google it. Suddenly, i remembered the namm show was in anaheim.

I found the famous designers (name escapes me now) email. Shot an email and pic and he responded within an hour confirming that this was the 1979 bc rich bich top of the line show guitar. 

I went back right away and it was gone. 

1200 bucks....... One of a kind. Could have been worth 5 to 10k wahhhhhhh

I would like to know how in the world that ended up in a pawn shop. Whoever pawned it must not have known what they had. Or maybe it was stolen. 

I play a custom built Becker guitar. The builder has made them for the guys in Umphrey’s, Moe., Disco Biscuits, and Tom Hamilton from JRAD and American Babies to name a few. The guitar I have was built for Carlos Santana as a gift from his wife as I understand it. Carlos is contracted to PRS so he could never play it out live. He felt it was a shame that a beautiful guitar couldn’t be played out live so he commissioned the builder to sell it for him. It ended up in a recording studio in Boston where it supposedly was played and recorded withby some heavy hitters but I don’t know who. The studio closed down eventually and I got my hands on it for 1/4 of the original $8000 tag. It’s now my main axe.

a4ea3088eae03f5e482f36b0839d4011.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Periodically, I like to check out performances at NAMM on YouTube.  As an ELP fan, this one blew me away.  She's blind, btw.

She is unreal.   She just joined the ELP fan page on FB.  Have you seen her Tarkus piece on acoustic piano???  Incredible. 

On 1/20/2018 at 9:38 PM, The Crimson King said:

Since there seems to be a number of musicians here that are actually good folks and not egomaniacs, I thought this could be an interesting place to discuss the upcoming huge annual event in Anaheim. This year it is Jan 25-28. 

For the uninitiated, the is the National Association of Music Merchants trade show when many of this year's models of musical equipment are introduced. It can be as exciting as the NFL draft for some as you see what you will (or might) get (or have GAS for) in the coming year.

Anyone going? It has always been a dream of mine to do so. I hear that it is one amazing and exhausting weekend  

I’ve never been a techie musically.   Always played as acoustic as possible,  

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

so here she is with Zappa.... go to 2 minute mark.  ON GUITAR!

Playing Jaco. I used to be able to play this.  Took me months to learn it by ear.

Why not choose to play the music of difficult composers/songwriters/gifted musicians?  And not on your main instrument?  LOL!  Wow is she impressive.  

6 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Holy @#$# !

Listening to Tarkus now

This girl is not only talented but has great taste 

Check out the list of these covers 

http://rachelflowersmusic.com/discography/soundcloud/

Birds of Fire and Lark's Tongues, two of my favorite pieces to play 

Crazy right... she plays in jazz trios and quartets as well.  Im gonna shoot myself.

41 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Nick is such a phenomenal player.  If you can only listen to a bit.  Head on towards the end (+/- 3:40 to end). Such powerful, lyrical playing. This was a highlight when I checked out the NAMM performances last year.

He’s got that singing.....   very melodic, strong, well done. 

31 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Was just on Ms. Flowers website and played her version of Birds of Fire .... on freakin' guitar

I'm getting off this damn computer and going upstairs to practice

yeesh

When I was in HS, going to college to major in music, i literally practiced 4 to 5 hours a day on string bass with a bow.   Now I play 10 to 20 minutes a day on my acoustic guitar or piano. Comes in handy at parties etc.  in Mexico, I played the lobby piano, whiter shade of pale and someone asked if I had a tip jar. ROFL.   Point I suppose is at our age, let’s just enjoy it. 

9 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I would like to know how in the world that ended up in a pawn shop. Whoever pawned it must not have known what they had. Or maybe it was stolen. 

Who knows. 

Even at 1800, this thing was worth double with normal serial numbers. I was a fool. I had just spent a lot of dough the weeks prior and on a guilt trip so i didnt snag it right away

9 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I play a custom built Becker guitar. The builder has made them for the guys in Umphrey’s, Moe., Disco Biscuits, and Tom Hamilton from JRAD and American Babies to name a few. The guitar I have was built for Carlos Santana as a gift from his wife as I understand it. Carlos is contracted to PRS so he could never play it out live. He felt it was a shame that a beautiful guitar couldn’t be played out live so he commissioned the builder to sell it for him. It ended up in a recording studio in Boston where it supposedly was played and recorded withby some heavy hitters but I don’t know who. The studio closed down eventually and I got my hands on it for 1/4 of the original $8000 tag. It’s now my main axe.

a4ea3088eae03f5e482f36b0839d4011.jpg

Wow. 

Nice. 

Now i have another odd pawn shop guitar story. 

Last year i was in this ghetto shop. The guys says ooooh you like high end guitars? I said yes im a snob. He brought out a guitar that looked a heck of a lot like yours. He kept saying "walter becker" as if he owned it. I didnt know what to make of it and i never heard the name but it was sweet. I think, ironically, he asked 1800. I didnt do it but i still think about it. 

I want to go there and see if its still in the back. It had a built in roland 9 pin midi setup, which further intriged me. Can you snap a pic of the name/logo? Just curious

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

When I was in HS, going to college to major in music, i literally practiced 4 to 5 hours a day on string bass with a bow.   Now I play 10 to 20 minutes a day on my acoustic guitar or piano. Comes in handy at parties etc.  in Mexico, I played the lobby piano, whiter shade of pale and someone asked if I had a tip jar. ROFL.   Point I suppose is at our age, let’s just enjoy it. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5688699

15 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Nick is such a phenomenal player.  If you can only listen to a bit.  Head on towards the end (+/- 3:40 to end). Such powerful, lyrical playing. This was a highlight when I checked out the NAMM performances last year.

People like this remind me of what a sh*tty guitar player I am. Makes me want to put my Strat down and go find a new hobby, like knitting. 

Then again, if I did take up knitting, I'd probably find some videos on YouTube about some old lady who is bad ass at knitting and makes my knitting look like sh*t. 

Oh well. I guess I'll just try to enjoy sucking at guitar. 

44 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

People like this remind me of what a sh*tty guitar player I am. Makes me want to put my Strat down and go find a new hobby, like knitting. 

Then again, if I did take up knitting, I'd probably find some videos on YouTube about some old lady who is bad ass at knitting and makes my knitting look like sh*t. 

Old Joke:

Q: How many guitar players does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 100, one to change the bulb and 99 to say, "Crap, that guy changed the bulb faster than I ever can. I'm switching to bass"   

15 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I hear 'ya and totally agree. Practice isn't so much the exercises and woodshedding when I was younger. Now it's mostly just having fun and jamming with a looper, but it does result in new riffs and pieces to annoy the band with. The only time in the past so many years that I really needed to actually go home and get some work in is when I see DiMeola :)

The same thing happened with the piano in a hotel once. Back when I had travel for business, I always looked for that lone piano sitting near the meeting areas. There is usually no one around so no one gets bothered with my mediocre keyboard skills. Once I was in SF for the night and I found a baby grand in the hallway outside the empty convention area. I played for awhile when a bunch of drunks came around the corner with drinks in their hand and said "Oh there you are. Why did they put you way out here?" I told them I was done when one of them put a fiver in my shirt pocket and said, "no, keep on going". Now, I know no popular songs and can just do blues and new agey things on the keys but they stayed there for an hour and loved it (did I mention that they were soused?). At the end, they all handed me more  money. I think I made about $70 from them. I was going to refuse when I thought, what the heck, it was the most money I made in music since the 70's. The moral of the story is, if you aren't that good, give them alcohol ! 

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5688699

12 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

I hear 'ya and totally agree. Practice isn't so much the exercises and woodshedding when I was younger. Now it's mostly just having fun and jamming with a looper, but it does result in new riffs and pieces to annoy the band with. The only time in the past so many years that I really needed to actually go home and get some work in is when I see DiMeola :)

The same thing happened with the piano in a hotel once. Back when I had travel for business, I always looked for that lone piano sitting near the meeting areas. There is usually no one around so no one gets bothered with my mediocre keyboard skills. Once I was in SF for the night and I found a baby grand in the hallway outside the empty convention area. I played for awhile when a bunch of drunks came around the corner with drinks in their hand and said "Oh there you are. Why did they put you way out here?" I told them I was done when one of them put a fiver in my shirt pocket and said, "no, keep on going". Now, I know no popular songs and can just do blues and new agey things on the keys but they stayed there for an hour and loved it (did I mention that they were soused?). At the end, they all handed me more  money. I think I made about $70 from them. I was going to refuse when I thought, what the heck, it was the most money I made in music since the 70's. The moral of the story is, if you aren't that good, give them alcohol ! 

OK...  last post.  I cant believe im doing this. Hadn't played string bass since 1985.  Chatted with a small band in NO. Bass player pushed me to the stage.  Literally, 30 years I hadn't put my hands on a bass.  My GF took a small film.  Dont laugh BUT I am in a NY Jets shirt.

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

OK...  last post.  I cant believe im doing this. Hadn't played string bass since 1985.  Chatted with a small band in NO. Bass player pushed me to the stage.  Literally, 30 years I hadn't put my hands on a bass.  My GF took a small film.  Dont laugh BUT I am in a NY Jets shirt.

Are you friggin' kidding me?  No rehearsal and you hadn't touched a upright in 30 years?  Dude you sounded great.  Well done.

1 hour ago, Bombdirt said:

RLLOL.  Welcome to my world.  We are all so hard on ourselves.  I just play every day to have fun.  Okay, and once in a while I'll load my car up with my axes with the intention to sell everything 'cause I suck. 

Wow. 
Nice. 
Now i have another odd pawn shop guitar story. 
Last year i was in this ghetto shop. The guys says ooooh you like high end guitars? I said yes im a snob. He brought out a guitar that looked a heck of a lot like yours. He kept saying "walter becker" as if he owned it. I didnt know what to make of it and i never heard the name but it was sweet. I think, ironically, he asked 1800. I didnt do it but i still think about it. 
I want to go there and see if its still in the back. It had a built in roland 9 pin midi setup, which further intriged me. Can you snap a pic of the name/logo? Just curious

f19d65479a6c6b7e0134778ceadc8009.jpg

Here you go. Very common to see the MIDI installed on some models so I wouldn’t be surprised.

I hear 'ya and totally agree. Practice isn't so much the exercises and woodshedding when I was younger. Now it's mostly just having fun and jamming with a looper, but it does result in new riffs and pieces to annoy the band with. The only time in the past so many years that I really needed to actually go home and get some work in is when I see DiMeola

Practice for me changed significantly. In the old days I really spent hours at a time learning, but never really knew WHAT I was learning. Because I play in a Dead/JGB Band we do a ton of improv in the moment, so lately I’ve focused much more on the theory and what the play over chords and connecting the turnarounds using modes and chromatics. I now practice less but much more effectively.

Archived