OFFSEASON.. GM Mike Maccagnan ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Field Yates (@FieldYates)

1/31/18, 5:09 PM

Source: WR Luke Tasker, a CFL standout and son of former Pro Bowl WR Steve Tasker, worked out for the Jets today. He posted 104 catches for 1,167 yards and 7 TDs this past CFL season.

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Field Yates (@FieldYates)

1/31/18, 5:09 PM

Source: WR Luke Tasker, a CFL standout and son of former Pro Bowl WR Steve Tasker, worked out for the Jets today. He posted 104 catches for 1,167 yards and 7 TDs this past CFL season.

Saunders ex-Idzik pick

Ticats talking extension with receiver Luke Tasker

Posted on January 30, 2018 by Drew Edwards

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are talking with receiver Luke Tasker about a contract extension, according to CFL sources.

The 27-year-old Tasker has played five CFL seasons, all with the Ticats, and had his best year in 2017 when he registered a team-record 104 catches for 1,167 yards and seven touchdowns. It was the second 1,000-yard season of his career.

Tasker, who was born in Buffalo and lives there in the off-season, is set to become a free agent in February but has said in the past that he’d like to stay in Hamilton. He and his wife Jenna welcomed their first child earlier this month.

Tasker was one of three 1,000-yard receivers on the Ticats last season, a list that includes Brandon Banks (who recently signed a contract extension) and first-year man Jalen Saunders, who has a year left on his rookie deal. Veteran Terrence Toliver should also be ready after tearing his ACL on the opening series last season.

That could give Ticats quarterback Jeremiah Masoli, who recently signed a new deal to stay with the club, a formidable receiving corps heading into next season under head coach June Jones.

Basically if Mac doesn’t have Cousins, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, or even Josh Allen (who I don’t want but a lot of people do and they could at least sell hope for a year or two), he’s gone after this year.

He’s been in position to get us a franchise quarterback and balked multiple times.

Could have had Wentz or Goff, didn’t wanna throw in an extra mid rounder.

Could have had Watson or Mahomes without losing any draft capital, didn’t pull the trigger.

Then you throw in the Hackenberg pick. The guy can’t even get on the field, when everyone, even in your own scouting department told you not to draft him.

This offseason is a rare opportunity. If he can’t get one of those guys. If anyone thinks thats unfair to confine his tenure to a select 5 of players in one off season, the examples above are the driving force behind this. He painted himself into this corner. 

If you’re hired as a GM in this league and your team doesn’t have a franchise quarterback. Your main objectice is to solve that position, or have a loaded team that makes deep playoff runs with minimal quarterback play.

Mac has folded, passed, and whiffed on QB’s. Every team makes mistakes especially with this position. But to fail at 3 different levels of managment at QB?

Its do or die.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

2/1/18, 3:06 PM

#Jets have signed LB Micah Awe to a reserve/future contract. Most recently played in CFL.

The Jets signed LB Micah Awe to a reserve/future contract.

Awe, a 24-year-old Lagos, Nigeria native, played with the BC Lions in 2017 and was credited with 54 defensive tackles while lining mostly weakside linebacker.

In four seasons at Texas Tech, the 6'0", 221-pound Awe collected 266 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss and six pass defenses. One of five team captains in 2015, Awe led the Red Raiders with 126 tackles and he signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent in 2016. He spent a few days on the Buccaneers' practice squad and signed with the Lions on March 7, 2017.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Basically if Mac doesn’t have Cousins, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, or even Josh Allen (who I don’t want but a lot of people do and they could at least sell hope for a year or two), he’s gone after this year.

He’s been in position to get us a franchise quarterback and balked multiple times.

Could have had Wentz or Goff, didn’t wanna throw in an extra mid rounder.

Could have had Watson or Mahomes without losing any draft capital, didn’t pull the trigger.

Then you throw in the Hackenberg pick. The guy can’t even get on the field, when everyone, even in your own scouting department told you not to draft him.

This offseason is a rare opportunity. If he can’t get one of those guys. If anyone thinks thats unfair to confine his tenure to a select 5 of players in one off season, the examples above are the driving force behind this. He painted himself into this corner. 

If you’re hired as a GM in this league and your team doesn’t have a franchise quarterback. Your main objectice is to solve that position, or have a loaded team that makes deep playoff runs with minimal quarterback play.

Mac has folded, passed, and whiffed on QB’s. Every team makes mistakes especially with this position. But to fail at 3 different levels of managment at QB?

Its do or die.

You don’t fire a guy after handing him a 2 year extension on top of the last year of his contract. The same goes for Bowles. It’s mind boggling Johnson did this. What was he thinking? That some other organization would swoop in and steal them away. We’re not that lucky. Seems they have a pass for 2018. If by end of 2019, this team has not dramatically spiraled upwards, then they’re both gone. 

1 hour ago, BigO said:

You don’t fire a guy after handing him a 2 year extension on top of the last year of his contract. The same goes for Bowles. It’s mind boggling Johnson did this. What was he thinking? That some other organization would swoop in and steal them away. We’re not that lucky. Seems they have a pass for 2018. If by end of 2019, this team has not dramatically spiraled upwards, then they’re both gone. 

In general yes, you don’t fire guys after a 2 year extension. However, better people have been fired for far less with a lot left on their deals.

I think if he doesn’t find a QB and we’re 5-11 again, and if those quarterbacks I mentioned  are doing well elswhere, you have to assume Mac will never be able to solve that position.

And I’m no Macagnan hater at all. I’m glad they retained him. But, the pressure should be on. Too many misses.

19 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

In general yes, you don’t fire guys after a 2 year extension. However, better people have been fired for far less with a lot left on their deals.

I think if he doesn’t find a QB and we’re 5-11 again, and if those quarterbacks I mentioned  are doing well elswhere, you have to assume Mac will never be able to solve that position.

And I’m no Macagnan hater at all. I’m glad they retained him. But, the pressure should be on. Too many misses.

I completely agree. I think Maccagnan has done an okay job. But this is a big one for him. He has to hit on a QB

On 2/1/2018 at 11:57 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Its do or die.

It is very theoretically possible that the Jets do not end up with any of these QBs.  They may also decide that they don't like Rosen or Allen.  

But, I think your point is a good one, the Mac will need one of these QBs.  He could end up picking Allen so that they have someone to hang their hat on, even if he does not work.  The incentives here are all wrong.

The Giants are the key really-do they take a QB or trade to someone who does?

2 hours ago, varjet said:

It is very theoretically possible that the Jets do not end up with any of these QBs.  They may also decide that they don't like Rosen or Allen.  

But, I think your point is a good one, the Mac will need one of these QBs.  He could end up picking Allen so that they have someone to hang their hat on, even if he does not work.  The incentives here are all wrong.

The Giants are the key really-do they take a QB or trade to someone who does?

Yeah like I mentioned it may seem unfair to say “oh you need one of these players specifically,” but he did this to himself.

Archived