Watch this - QB Josh Allen

lounap23

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No QB who has ever completed under 60 % of his throws in college has ever had success in the NFL

No QB who has ever completed under 60 % of his throws in college has ever had success in the NFL

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Spoke to this on the another thread...  So I don't want to repeat. But in short.  0 Talent on the OL (for that level) and 0 talent at WR ( on that level) cause him to throw a lot too soon or into the tightest of windows... Form what I have watched from him his accuracy was great at 56% for the situations he was under...

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Favre and Warren Moon both did.

That being said, I'd pass on Allen, too.

17 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

This thread on Josh Allen will show you the throws he can make. And the accuracy in which he makes them.  As well as his athletic ability and arm strength...  It's a small snippet but it's not hard to see the immense talent the kid has

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/951508779954266112

All Qbs look awesome on highlight reels, but the plays he was making were ridiculous and his OL looks completely pathetic. Has a Favre feel to him. 

The guy who did this thinks his rollout ability is key but has anyone noticed that roll outs seem to becoming really ineffective lately?

6 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I think we're all scarred from Hackenberg. I'll pass on Allen too.

Just looking at the first 5 clips of that thread makes me think he's gonna make me lose my mind and say "wtf is he doing" just about every game. 

But sure why not. yolo. 

Are comparisons Big Ben? Because that's what it feels like. Relying on his size and big arm. 

Also have there been any success stories of these "high upside" QBs that have "huge potential" that actually come in and live up to those expectations? 

The highlights are absolutely unreal. If he had any semblance of consistency he'd be a lock for #1 though. There's a lot of bad that goes with that good. 

I did see some recent adjusted accuracy stats, maybe related to a Lamar Jackson thread? But when adjusting for drops, etc Allen doesn't exactly skyrocket up. Seems like he missed plenty of throws. Need to watch some on my own, but that's scary.

I do think his Senior Bowl performance will be extremely interesting.

t's super fun to dream on, and I love the idea of having a big QB with a cannon for cold weather games, but trying to fix a QB who's wildly inconsistent and mostly tools rarely if ever works. 

Also it's not like the Jets are exactly going to have their pick of QB's in this draft. To be honest - if they take one in the first round I'm going to simultaneously be excited about it and have a feeling of impending doom regardless of who it is.

I'm one of the very few that's taking a wait and see on Allen.  So many ppl have already made up their mind on him, which is bananas imo.  He made Wyoming a lot better than they were before he got there. He improved the team. That's more than you could ever say for Hackenberg so I don't fully get those lazy comparisons. 

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

If Allen is sitting there at 6 and we did not get Cousins, then he has to be the pick. 

Quoting myself..... I'm mistaken.  I was thinking of Rosen.  SMH.   

Allen is interesting but I would rather have Mayfield.   I think the Giants are the best bet for Allen.  He needs time and they want Eli to continue to play.

36 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

This thread on Josh Allen will show you the throws he can make. And the accuracy in which he makes them.  As well as his athletic ability and arm strength...  It's a small snippet but it's not hard to see the immense talent the kid has

Mark Sanchez had a GREAT highlight film too.

Well..now I watched it.  Im not that impressed.

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo NoNoNoNoNo

You do realize this is a run on sentence.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Josh Allen is better than any QB on the NY Jets roster. 

Not exactly a strong argument you're making there Joey. Take any backup QB in the NFL and you could say the same thing. ?‍♂️

Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Baker or Jackson....just take one, whoever is the best there. Or move up for all I care. Nobody really knows how any of these 5 or maybe even a kid like Falk will pan out. So I'd add Falk to the list, make that 6 QBs. Take one and build an offense around them that might make it interesting for me to watch games again in three years.

37 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Are comparisons Big Ben? Because that's what it feels like. Relying on his size and big arm. 

Also have there been any success stories of these "high upside" QBs that have "huge potential" that actually come in and live up to those expectations? 

Yeah, every comparison I see is Roethlisberger. I'll take it. Is it my first personal choice, no. But like anyone knows. 

57 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

This is a more accurate idea of what you get from Allen against teams that actually have a defense.  Every throw against Iowa.  I actually thought he was going to be the best QB in the draft.  Didn't come out that way.  Wouldn't touch him at 6, let alone trading up for him.

1 hour ago, lounap23 said:

Why is his % rate so dam low ? I can show you great passes mark Sanchez made too, then next throw is a mile away from his intended reciever. Mark Sanchez also had a very low comp %

I watched Allen in 5-6 games this year against teams similar to and better than Wyoming.  There is
no denying his textbook size & tools.  He makes throws that make you drool and he has a frame that
projects to be like Newton & Roethlisberger.  But for someone who is supposed to be a top QB prospect
he never lifted his team against mediocre competition and when he stepped up in class (Iowa & Oregon)
he was overwhelmed.  He could be successful on the pro level but who was the last QB whose accuracy
and completion percentage improved going against the best in the world.  I'm totally petrified of
him as a prospect 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You make it so easy....Do you know who this guy is?  

Year
Career
    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1987 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 79 194 40.7 1264 6.5 5.0 15 13 107.6
1988 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 178 319 55.8 2271 7.1 7.4 16 5 129.0
1989 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 206 381 54.1 2588 6.8 6.3 14 10 118.0
1990 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 150 275 54.5 1572 5.7 5.2 7 6 106.6
Career Southern Mississippi         613 1169 52.4 7695 6.6 6.2 52 34 116.6

1 hour ago, lounap23 said:

he'll be " off the board " by the time we pick..  

I sorta wish everyone would stop thinking they know what Allen is based on his completion % for two years. I get the concern as it would be my big, red flag too, but it's a little crazy how us people are already trying to bury him. Maybe he's a less desirable QB for you than others but I mean, to not want him at all on what's already a crap shoot on QBs just seems weird. 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You make it so easy....Do you know who this guy is?  

Year
Career
    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1987 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 79 194 40.7 1264 6.5 5.0 15 13 107.6
1988 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 178 319 55.8 2271 7.1 7.4 16 5 129.0
1989 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 206 381 54.1 2588 6.8 6.3 14 10 118.0
1990 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 150 275 54.5 1572 5.7 5.2 7 6 106.6
Career Southern Mississippi         613 1169 52.4 7695 6.6 6.2 52 34 116.6

Much respect for the research.  You provided one example to my question

Archived