Watch this - QB Josh Allen

lounap23

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

It’s exasperating, this place’s aversion to any deep analysis that attempts to demystify the game of foozeball. 

What are you talking about? I just stated Allen would be my personal 6th choice of QB prospect. But The data doesn't prove he's an automatic bust. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, .300 is not the be all and end all that it used to be, baseball stats have evolved way way beyond BA as a measure for valuing and paying hitters.

@NoBowlesKeeping with a baseball hitter analogy...Lets look at an imcomplete pass as a whiff (swing and miss) for a hitter. In a vacuum is the better hitter more likely to have a high whiff rate or a low whiff rate? 

Now say those guys were putting up those whiff rates in the minor leagues. Is the guy who posted higher whiff rates in the minors likely to miss less against ML pitchers? No. Same thing!  

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

What are you talking about? I just stated Allen would be my personal 6th choice of QB prospect. But The data doesn't prove he's an automatic bust. 

It doesn’t prove anyone is an autonatic hit either! That’s not the goal! What it IS going to say is that Allen’s a really, really bad bet among bad bets. 

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

It doesn’t prove anyone is an autonatic hit either! That’s not the goal! What it IS going to say is that Allen’s a really, really bad bet among bad bets. 

Well if the sh*t box team lost two more games we wouldn't have to worry. Taking any qb  early is a tough bet. They all have their wrinkles. But Jets need a qb and I'm looking for them to take one.

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Well if the sh*t box team lost two more games we wouldn't have to worry. Taking any qb  early is a tough bet. They all have their wrinkles. But Jets need a qb and I'm looking for them to take one.

All the more reason to take an analytical approach! QB and pass rusher are two positions where the Jets have repeatedly ignored the data. Spend one offseason not doing that with $100+ million to spend and 3 top 50 picks and maybe the losing stops. It’s a sport and a #seriousbisness for Jah’s sake, not some spiritual quest for man to find his destiny. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

All the more reason to take an analytical approach! QB and pass rusher are two positions where the Jets have repeatedly ignored the data. Spend one offseason not doing that with $100+ million to spend and 3 top 50 picks and maybe the losing stops. It’s a sport for Jah’s sake, not some spiritual quest for man to find his destiny. 

So You'll be fun when the Jets takeAllen at 6 lol

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I’m always fun THO. If they want to blow 6 on Allen after signing Cousins more power to them but it’ll be pointless on top of dumb. QB resale value only goes so far! 

If they signed Cousins and drafted any QB in the first 4 rounds that'd be dumb. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree, he screwed up at “ever”. 

But to the OP’s point..

Allen reminds me of Hackenberg physically and stats wise so much though that it scares me. Idk why he is still in discussion for top pick. I don’t. 

I’ll take your word for it. Only saw half of 1 game with him. 

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

How can you judge anything on completion % in today’s college

half of the teams run bubble screens 15 times a game 

Then there should be no excuse to not complete at least 60% ;-) 

Remember the footage of Hack missing on a screen? 

Image result for christian hackenberg penn st wr screen gif

13 minutes ago, HessStation said:

If they signed Cousins and drafted any QB in the first 4 rounds that'd be dumb. 

Disagree.  We effectively have no QBs on the roster right now.  Even if we sign Cousins (which I think is a good option), we should draft one that we think can become a good enough backup and maybe have a shot to be more.  That feels like a round 3 or 4 pick to me.  The good thing is, there are a lot of QBs in this draft that might be worthy of that sort of pick.  Somewhere between Falk, Stidham, Ferguson, Rudolph, White, and maybe a few others, there will be guys available at the top of rounds 3 and 4 who are worth the risk.  It's not just about Brady, but guys like Romo, Warner and many others who exceeded expectations and became very good or even great QBs.  Gotta keep taking smart shots at it.

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

You make it so easy....Do you know who this guy is?  

Year
Career
    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1987 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 79 194 40.7 1264 6.5 5.0 15 13 107.6
1988 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 178 319 55.8 2271 7.1 7.4 16 5 129.0
1989 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 206 381 54.1 2588 6.8 6.3 14 10 118.0
1990 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 150 275 54.5 1572 5.7 5.2 7 6 106.6
Career Southern Mississippi         613 1169 52.4 7695 6.6 6.2 52 34 116.6

You are talking about the 1980’s for crying out loud.  Both College and Pro football was a different game back then.

The Jets need someone to step in and play well THIS season.  Not in three years when Allen is either ready to play or has been cut.  Teams like NE, NO, LAC can take a chance like this.  If the Jets draft Allen at 6, Macc is finished.  And because of this terrible pick, it probably gives Bowles an additional two years to not make the playoffs before he gets fired.

4 hours ago, lounap23 said:

Hack played with very talented WR's and OL... Allen did not.. Not even close.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  The lengths people will go to convince themselves that Allen isn't Hack 2.0 is astounding.

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Disagree.  We effectively have no QBs on the roster right now.  Even if we sign Cousins (which I think is a good option), we should draft one that we think can become a good enough backup and maybe have a shot to be more.  That feels like a round 3 or 4 pick to me.  The good thing is, there are a lot of QBs in this draft that might be worthy of that sort of pick.  Somewhere between Falk, Stidham, Ferguson, Rudolph, White, and maybe a few others, there will be guys available at the top of rounds 3 and 4 who are worth the risk.  It's not just about Brady, but guys like Romo, Warner and many others who exceeded expectations and became very good or even great QBs.  Gotta keep taking smart shots at it.

Exaaaaactly and don’t forget Kyle Lauletta until the end of the week maybe! 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Then there should be no excuse to not complete at least 60% ;-) 

Remember the footage of Hack missing on a screen? 

Image result for christian hackenberg penn st wr screen gif

I don't particularly like Allen, but Hack is on another level being inaccurate. Allen rarely threw bubble screens in his offense. Hack is literally inaccurate to all levels of the field. I still can't believe we picked his sorry ass in the second. 

55 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

AdmiredFrightenedBlackwidowspider-small.gifPersonalDeadlyHuemul-small.gifTallMetallicBuffalo-size_restricted.gifShockedUnrulyBushbaby-small.gif

"HaCkEnBeRg AnD aLlEn ArEn'T cLoSe To BeInG tHe SaMe!!!1!"

In Allen's defense, he is either running or pressured on all those throws. Hack blows a bubble screen with no pressure. Again, I'm not saying Allen is particularly accurate, but Hack is on another level. 

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

@NoBowlesKeeping with a baseball hitter analogy...Lets look at an imcomplete pass as a whiff (swing and miss) for a hitter. In a vacuum is the better hitter more likely to have a high whiff rate or a low whiff rate? 

Now say those guys were putting up those whiff rates in the minor leagues. Is the guy who posted higher whiff rates in the minors likely to miss less against ML pitchers? No. Same thing!  

In your analogy, there are two variables for the most part, the hitter and the pitcher. Maybe you can argue the catcher/coach calling the pitch.

In football, there are many, many more variables than just the QB at play. Its not an apples to apples comparison. Hell, its not even a food to food comparison.

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

In your analogy, there are two variables for the most part, the hitter and the pitcher. Maybe you can argue the catcher/coach calling the pitch.

In football, there are many, many more variables than just the QB at play. Its not an apples to apples comparison. Hell, its not even a food to food comparison.

Yea, QBs play defenses typically.

Man I cannot buy a straight forward answer here. Forget I tried! A foozeball career is a journey to destiny, preordained by Jah. Who are we mortals to defy these ancient beings and their wants! 

8 hours ago, lounap23 said:

This thread on Josh Allen will show you the throws he can make. And the accuracy in which he makes them.  As well as his athletic ability and arm strength...  It's a small snippet but it's not hard to see the immense talent the kid has

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/951508779954266112

He sure dominated Boise State and Central Michigan!

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Yea, QBs play defenses typically.

Man I cannot buy a straight forward answer here. Forget I tried! A foozeball career is a journey to destiny, preordained by Jah. Who are we mortals to defy these ancient beings and their wants! 

So its either QB's play defense, or a foozeball career is a journey to destiny, preordained by Jah?

Amireadingyourighthere?

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No QB who has ever completed under 60 % of his throws in college has ever had success in the NFL

No QB who has ever completed under 60 % of his throws in college has ever had success in the NFL

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-montana-1.html

10 hours ago, lounap23 said:

And let me say this clearly. I am not here advocating for Allen to be our guy.... I am saying every ones assumption of him based on his comp % has no clue what they are talking about cause they have never watched him play.  

This isn't NY Jets fan club on Facebook. Lots of people here watched him play college ball. Like, Live games.

This are informed people give you informed opinions. Instead of dissmissing, absorb this wisdom. There's legit concern he might suck. 

12 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Are comparisons Big Ben? Because that's what it feels like. Relying on his size and big arm. 

Also have there been any success stories of these "high upside" QBs that have "huge potential" that actually come in and live up to those expectations? 

Good question why should we invest in "potential" if the guy hasn't even figured out the college game? I prefer a guy who dominates in college at least he's shown the mental ability to process football on that level.

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brett Favre says Hellllloooooo!

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

If we're going to throw our 1st away on a QB who has inconsistent accuracy, but all the physical tools, I'll take Lamar Jackson over Josh Allen every day of the week, every week of the year. 

I 100% agree, BUT I’m done analyzing man, it’s exhausting.  Just come away with one of Rosen, Darnold, Allen, or Jackson seriously, we all have our preferences, but at the end of the day all 4 will go top 10 most likely just get one, at least we can say they ******* tried, I mean hate all you want on Sanchez looking back I’m happy they at least had th balls to give the let’s try and get a franchise QB in here.

I 100% agree, BUT I’m done analyzing man, it’s exhausting.  Just come away with one of Rosen, Darnold, Allen, or Jackson seriously, we all have our preferences, but at the end of the day all 4 will go top 10 most likely just get one, at least we can say they ******* tried, I mean hate all you want on Sanchez looking back I’m happy they at least had th balls to give the let’s try and get a franchise QB in here.

I think Mayfield will go before Jackson - I would prefer Baker. But I hear ya. We need a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived