So When Will Anything Actually Happen?

Warfish

While I love a good speculative rumors thread as much as the next unwilling inmate at the asylum, I'd like to knwow hat the dates are when we might expect soemthing to actually happen this forthcoming offseason.

i.e. what date does free agency start?

What date would the Skins have to decide of Cousins?

What date(s) would the Vikings have to decide on Bridgewater/Bradford/Keenem?

What date would the Chiefs have to/likely make a decision of Smith (presumably so as not to pay him if he's being cut/traded)?

And of course, what day is the draft?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

As long as we're asking others to Google stuff for us, can you guys also give me the date for when the Incredibles 2 comes out? Asking for a friend.

succint sarcasm at its best. Bravo. 

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yet these next two weeks will be the most excruciatingly long in existence.

It really is annoying how long we have to wait to be pissed off about the new stupid things the Jets are doing.

Don't wait to hate....anticipate! (Imagine Clyde Frazier saying this!)

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

While I love a good speculative rumors thread as much as the next unwilling inmate at the asylum, I'd like to knwow hat the dates are when we might expect soemthing to actually happen this forthcoming offseason.

What date would the Chiefs have to/likely make a decision of Smith (presumably so as not to pay him if he's being cut/traded)?

Thanks.

What date will Bowles get fired?          What date will Adams register his 1st INT? What date will we get a franchise QB? What date will these owners sell this team?What date will TomShane become a mod?What date will Crusher win the hot dog eating contest in Coney Island?               What date will we make the playoffs again?  What date will we get a President of football operations?                                      What date will we again win a Super Bowl? And of course the question everyone wants to know, What date will Maxman offer shares to JetNation?

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

i.e. what date does free agency start? 4:00pm March 14 (ok to negotiate w/agents March 12).  2018 League year officially begins on March 14.

What date would the Skins have to decide of Cousins? Skins can reach a contract agreement w/him anytime they want.  They can Franchise or Transition Tag him no sooner than Feb 20 and no later than 4:00pm March 6.

What date(s) would the Vikings have to decide on Bridgewater/Bradford/Keenem? I think they are all UFA's, so anytime they want, I believe...  not sure.  Tag dates same as Cousins above (unlikely). Player contracts expire 4:00pm March 14

What date would the Chiefs have to/likely make a decision of Smith (presumably so as not to pay him if he's being cut/traded)? entering last year of his contract.  He has a $2,000,000 roster bonus effective at the start of training camp (June). There is also a $500,000 workout bonus (unsure of date).   Essentially, I think they have until training camp to deal him or cut him to save $16,500,000 (salary +roster bonus).

And of course, what day is the draft?  April 26-28

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2018 at 3:30 PM, Warfish said:

Thanks.

I think this chart has everything you need.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-important-nfl-dates/

Actually, something will happen today.

At some point today a decision is expected on McCarron's grievance.  That will determine if he is an RFA or a UFA.  

Other things to look for will be the determination on whether Bridgewater's contract tolls.  He may be a UFA, or not.

I don't even remotely understand the Smith question.  He has been traded to the Redskins and agreed to an extension.  The deal cannot go through until the new league year, so it will be consummated on March 14th.  Theoretically, they could back out, but he is not getting cut and we don't want to pay him the 4/$94.5M that Washington will.

Teams can start using the designation on February 20th, so next week.  I think they have until free agency starts, so we won't necessarily know on Cousins until the bitter end.

Incredibles 2, not soon enough!

Feb - Free AJ

2/20: Teams can designate Franchise or Transition Players. 
2/27-3/5: NFL Draft Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN.

March - No Mo
3/6: 4:00 p.m. ET deadline for teams to designate Franchise of Transition Players.
3/12-14: Beginning at 12:00 p.m. ET on March 7, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m. ET, on March 9.
3/14: The 2018 League Year, free agency and trading period begin at 4:00 p.m. ET.
3/25-28: Annual league meeting, Orlando, FL.

April 
4/16: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs. - Bowles extended  
4/20: Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign Offer Sheets.
4/26-28: NFL Draft, Arlington, TX.

May
5/4-7 or 5/11-14: Optional rookie minicamp. 
5/14: Rookies Development Program begins.
5/21-23: Spring League Meetings, Atlanta, GA.

June
6/1: Deadline for Prior Club to send "June 1 Tender" to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a Right of First Refusal Only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA as "June 15 Tender" provision.
6/15: Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting "June 15 Tender" of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player's prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).
Late June: Rookie Transition Program.

July
7/16: At 4 p.m. ET, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multi-year contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2017 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club's last regular season game.
Mid July: Training Camp.

August
8/2: Hall of Fame Game, Canton, OH.
8/2-5: Hall of Fame Weekend, Canton, OH.

September
9/1: Teams must reduce their rosters to 53 players by 4:00p.m. ET. 
9/6, 9-10: Regular season opens. 

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/2018-NFL-Important-Dates-/60402ae9-9763-43d9-8a99-99f32057bbd7

Archived