Jets Draft Player News (tidbits and tweets)

Paradis

I started one last year in the Hampur and it was pretty successful. This is a place to post all those random bits/Tweets/News blurbs that probably don't warrant their own thread -- but are of interest at positions of need for the Jets... (so i expect to see NO Safety news in here, everything else is game :P ) 

I'll start with a few today that caught my eye....

Siran (love this guy)

Draft Analyst's Chris Tripodi writes that Jacksonville State DB Siran Neal has "put himself on the map in Mobile" during the Senior Bowl practice week.

"He quickly adjusted to facing FBS competition and used his 6-foot, 206-pound frame to disrupt receivers at the line of scrimmage," Tripodi notes, "showing good punch and even putting James Washington on the ground Thursday." The Jacksonville State standout also showed a strong ability to hang with opposing wideouts on deep routes. He's not lost against the run, either. Walter Football's Charlie Campbell hits Neal up with a grade for Rds. 3-5.

More "personality" bullsh*t on Rosen:

Josh Rosen - QB - Bruins

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller passes along that according to "multiple scouts and executives," UCLA QB Josh Rosen is expected to be a toxic interview during the evaluating season.

"Scouts might like Rosen, but coaches won't because he's stubborn and cocky and he thinks he's smarter than them," one scout told Miller. This is a knock on the talented UCLA signal-caller that has surfaced on a number of occasions. Bruins C Dan Quessenberry -- himself an NFLer-to-be -- vehemently refuted reports of Rosen as being disliked in the locker room earlier this week, going so far as to call him a "great human being." As to his coachability, we would like to add one note -- Rosen was not put in the best situation to learn at UCLA. He was given three offensive coordinators in three seasons and played under a head coach in Jim Mora who was fired in November. These should be major considerations in this debate. That's not to say that Rosen is necessarily a peach to coach, but we have no idea how he might take to a committed, professional coaching staff. Such a benefit simply did not exist with the Bruins.

Here's on on Running Back that I'm quietly falling in love with, as he has everything to be 3-down workhorse, and will be a steal in the 3rd/4th round

Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko notes that Arizona State RB Kalen Ballage impressed throughout the Senior Bowl practice week.

"Here, he's shown outstanding pass catching comfort and extension, plus bend for a taller running back, and multiple areas for easy improvement," Galko writes. As for what to work on moving forward in the draft process, Ballage's vision and gap anticipation are two major potential hurdles for NFL teams. These issues have cropped up at the Senior Bowl and beyond that, we noticed them on multiple occasions during what was an underwhelming senior campaign in 2017. You're going to hear some parties very very high on Ballage's pro potential this spring. In a stacked running back class, though, we're not quite there at this point.

Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller passes along that one of his sources on an NFL team with a top-five pick told him that Wyoming QB Josh Allen will be one of the first two picks in the NFL Draft.

Allen (6'4/237) has been showing off his rocket-launcher-of-an-arm throughout the Senior Bowl practice week while also displaying some of the problems with accuracy we've seen throughout his collegiate career. As flawed as the Wyoming gunslinger might be in some aspects, it's become increasingly clear that the toolsy quarterback will likely be in play for a selection near the top of the draft. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., for one, projected him to go No. 1 to the Browns in a recent mock draft. Allen would probably be best served entering a stable situation where he would be able to learn on the bench for at least a year or two before being thrust into the fire, though, and that's not the Cleveland Browns.

Either the media/Miller is full of sh*t -- or i'm seriously missing something. How the hell can a guy who's struggling with accuracy on 7-on-7s, but considered for #1? WHAT AM I MISSING??

40 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Either the media/Miller is full of sh*t -- or i'm seriously missing something. How the hell can a guy who's struggling with accuracy on 7-on-7s, but considered for #1? WHAT AM I MISSING??

your not missing anything. some BS going on with the media love-fest of Allen.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

This whole Senior Bowl week has been full of conflicting reports about propsects,  I think a lot of these media guys tweeted out about players based on pre-conceived notions. 

According to the reports Allen is either a Top 5 pick or project who needs 2 years on the bench (sound familiar).  I have heard that Mike Gesicki is a solid blocker from some -- others say he can't block.  Some say he can't get separation but wins 50-50 balls, others say he runs great routes and separates.  Marcus Davenport is either a top 10 guy, or a day 3 pick who will never be more than a situational pass rusher.  I know there have been others as well.  I never remember reading so many conflicting reports out of Mobile as I have this week.

At least tomorrow we can watch the game and judge for ourselves.

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

This whole Senior Bowl week has been full of conflicting reports about propsects,  I think a lot of these media guys tweeted out about players based on pre-conceived notions. 

According to the reports Allen is either a Top 5 pick or project who needs 2 years on the bench (sound familiar).  I have heard that Mike Gesicki is a solid blocker from some -- others say he can't block.  Some say he can't get separation but wins 50-50 balls, others say he runs great routes and separates.  Marcus Davenport is either a top 10 guy, or a day 3 pick who will never be more than a situational pass rusher.  I know there have been others as well.  I never emember reading so many conficting reports out of Mobile as I have this week.

At lest tomorrow we can watch the game and judge for ourselves.

Yea, the Davenport thing is debateably worse.... the "mass media" personalities are tweeting things like "Day 1 riser is making waves...."... meanwhile, the online grinders out there doing observational journalism for independent scouting sites and such were all over Davenport for poor technique and basically winning ZERO match ups all week... So on one hand, we have Mike Mayock saying "this kid might be a top 10 pick" in his mayockian voice, and underneath that, i'm literally reading "So disappointed, I don't think Davenport got off one block this week"...

That just goes to show you how fcking crazy the media is. 

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yea, the Davenport thing is debateably worse.... the "mass media" personalities are tweeting things like "Day 1 riser is making waves...."... meanwhile, the online grinders out there doing observational journalism for independent scouting sites and such were all over Davenport for poor technique and basically winning ZERO match ups all week... So on one hand, we have Mike Mayock saying "this kid might be a top 10 pick" in his mayockian voice, and underneath that, i'm literally reading "So disappointed, I don't think Davenport got off one block this week"...

That just goes to show you how fcking crazy the media is. 

I think the other factor here is that guys sometimes are deliberately put into situations they are not comfortable in to see how they react.  You take a guy who plays with his hand in the dirt and make him play standing up, he is going to struggle.  One guy, I think it was Mason Cole, was being criticized somewhere for poor shotgun snaps, well the guy played tackle all season, no surprise if he is rusty.  

Without the proper context, it is easy to be misled.

Baker Mayfield - QB - Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson reports there's "a fit developing" between the Browns and Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield.
"A lot of what he is as a player fits with John Dorsey," a league source told Robinson. "Just his makeup, John believes in building around those kinds of guys. I think he’s a strong candidate for the top pick after this week." Mayfield has been the best quarterback in Senior Bowl practices, outshining Wyoming's Josh Allen. His draft stock continues to trend up coming off a Heisman winning season. Despite size concerns, it won't be surprising if Mayfield ultimately lands in Cleveland with the first-overall pick.

I'm buying this narrative. CLE's GM has a real crush on Mayfield... I wouldn't rule him out at #1

On 1/26/2018 at 6:12 PM, Lith said:

Or who's getting greased....

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Or who's getting greased....

Jason Whitlock‏ Verified account @WhitlockJason

Publicists/PR people/Agencies have writers on retainer who spew out much of what you read in the blogosphere. The client sees a favorable article on what appears a reputable site and has no idea his agent paid for it.

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jason Whitlock‏ Verified account @WhitlockJason

Publicists/PR people/Agencies have writers on retainer who spew out much of what you read in the blogosphere. The client sees a favorable article on what appears a reputable site and has no idea his agent paid for it.

Pretty much. After the combine you get a better feel for everything. There's conflicting reports on every player right now. I didnt watch a ton of college football this year anyways. But once interviews and the tests are done at the combine you can pick and choose the reporters who have a track record of accurately reporting on red flags or players being underrated. You can also benchmark pretty much every physical output now to past players on your own and what correlates to pro success.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty much. After the combine you get a better feel for everything. There's conflicting reports on every player right now. I didnt watch a ton of college football this year anyways. But once interviews and the tests are done at the combine you can pick and choose the reporters who have a track record of accurately reporting on red flags or players being underrated. You can also benchmark pretty much every physical output now to past players on your own and what correlates to pro success.

Lawrence Jackson‏ @LoJackson94 

Mel Kiper has greased pockets. That’s why the big board always has some whaaaaat names. I had an agent promise to get me atop his big board.

Lawrence Jackson‏:  Having played in the NFL for 5 years and playing at USC under Pete Carroll.  He was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

The combine is a valuable tool even though a lot of people diss it.  Not so much the track meet part but the actual drills.

Last year D. Watson was getting killed for his slow pass speed and his poor arm.  At the combine watching all of these qbs throw Watsons throws looked just as good as almost anyones and more accurate than most.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The combine is a valuable tool even though a lot of people diss it.  Not so much the track meet part but the actual drills.

Last year D. Watson was getting killed for his slow pass speed and his poor arm.  At the combine watching all of these qbs throw Watsons throws looked just as good as almost anyones and more accurate than most.

Outside the interviews(thats fans arent privy to) the combine is pretty pointless for the QB's.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Outside the interviews(thats fans arent privy to) the combine is pretty pointless for the QB's.

Perhaps for the teams themselves certainly not for the fans who do not watch hours of tape.  I've made up my mind on several players from combine drills and for the most part what i see seems to pan out.

• 2 weeks later...

An NFC team director of college scouting tells NFL.com Media Analyst Lance Zierlein Arizona State running back Kalen Ballage will be the hot name out of the NFL Scouting Combine.

"Mark this down. Nobody will be talking about him until he gets to the Combine, where he will lift well, run well and jump out of the stadium. Then, he'll be the hot name," the executive says. While Ballage doesn't have the same hype as some of the other running backs in the class, he actually has picked up steam after his strong showing at the senior bowl. Zierlein goes as far as to expect Ballage (6'2/224) to get comparisons to David Johnson.
Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Walter Football's Walter Cherepinsky projects that Wyoming QB Josh Allen will end up on the Jets.

In a projection of the top NFL Draft prospects as well as the free agents at the quarterback position, Cherpinsky sees Allen becoming the quarterback of the future in New York. "It seems as though the big-armed Josh Allen is the sort of quarterback general manager Mike Maccagnan wants," he writes. "I have to believe that No. 6 overall is Allen's floor, and the Jets may even trade up for him (perhaps with the Colts.) Allen has his flaws, mostly concerning his accuracy, but he has a ton of potential."

Walter Football's Walter Cherepinsky projects that Wyoming QB Josh Allen will end up on the Jets.

In a projection of the top NFL Draft prospects as well as the free agents at the quarterback position, Cherpinsky sees Allen becoming the quarterback of the future in New York. "It seems as though the big-armed Josh Allen is the sort of quarterback general manager Mike Maccagnan wants," he writes. "I have to believe that No. 6 overall is Allen's floor, and the Jets may even trade up for him (perhaps with the Colts.) Allen has his flaws, mostly concerning his accuracy, but he has a ton of potential."

Starting to feel these mocks where they just put Allen to the Jets because that's apparently what Mac likes is getting lazy. What coach is it out there saying they want a short, decent armed QB? Eh, idk, give me a different approach to it. 

On 1/26/2018 at 3:34 PM, Paradis said:

I started one last year in the Hampur and it was pretty successful. This is a place to post all those random bits/Tweets/News blurbs that probably don't warrant their own thread -- but are of interest at positions of need for the Jets... (so i expect to see NO Safety news in here, everything else is game :P ) 

Mac and Cheese disagree. You can never have enough safeties. 

On 1/26/2018 at 3:34 PM, Paradis said:

Here's on on Running Back that I'm quietly falling in love with, as he has everything to be 3-down workhorse, and will be a steal in the 3rd/4th round

Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko notes that Arizona State RB Kalen Ballage impressed throughout the Senior Bowl practice week.

"Here, he's shown outstanding pass catching comfort and extension, plus bend for a taller running back, and multiple areas for easy improvement," Galko writes. As for what to work on moving forward in the draft process, Ballage's vision and gap anticipation are two major potential hurdles for NFL teams. These issues have cropped up at the Senior Bowl and beyond that, we noticed them on multiple occasions during what was an underwhelming senior campaign in 2017. You're going to hear some parties very very high on Ballage's pro potential this spring. In a stacked running back class, though, we're not quite there at this point.

Hell yes. Dude is a beast. Was lights out in senior bowl. Has a bit of Marshawn Lynch in him. Pair him with Jones or Michel and you’ve got a nice dynamic duo. We know you ? that running backside. 

Archived