An Extensive Look Into Senior Bowl Week:: Baker Mayfield

Patriot Killa

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jetsons said:

The media, the public educational system and institutionalized progressive bastions of higher learning have much to do with that.

my daughter is a 17 year old platoon leader in her NJROTC program, on her way to being EMT certified before she graduates and headed off to college to become a trauma nurse

her 17 year old boyfriend enlisted this week and will do 5 years in Navy intelligence before trying for the FBI

and you know what ?

nothing has changed

every generation churns out awesome kids and knuckleheads

I think the issue is lazy thinking because of the innerwebz, a few facebooks memes and boom its true

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

my daughter is a 17 year old platoon leader in her NJROTC program, on her way to being EMT certified before she graduates and headed off to college to become a trauma nurse

her 17 year old boyfriend enlisted this week and will do 5 years in Navy intelligence before trying for the FBI

and you know what ?

nothing has changed

I think the issue is lazy thinking because of the innerwebz, a few facebooks memes and boom its true

I’m apart of this generation and I can tell you that it’s about which of us are impressionable compare to the others. Which ones take movies, tv, music and public opinion to heart. Which ones mold their personality to the BS propaganda around them. The impressionable ones will most likely turn out like sh*t and that’s just the truth.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Tannenhill has done something no Jets QB has done since Namath: throw for over 4,000 yards. I think the Dolphins are trying to drum up the trade market. Could be wrong but that's my hunch.

Josh McCown Was on pace or close to it before he went down. Todd Bowles will never let a qb do that. We saw what happened what he does with OCs Who let their qbs throw ha

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m apart of this generation and I can tell you that it’s about which of us are impressionable compare to the others. Which ones take movies, tv, music and public opinion to heart. Which ones mold their personality to the BS propaganda around them. The impressionable ones will most likely turn out like sh*t and that’s just the truth.

That's true of every generation. My impressionable friends in the 80s were influenced by MTV. Hell, I remember the parachute pants fad ?

Facebook and message boards give the illusion that what a few people are into represents the majority.

My daughter tells me that the kids say stuff like, "did you just assume that chairs gender"? While I'm sure some people are actually concerned about that, I think it is just a part of the fabric, almost a throw away line they picked up on the internet. 

3 hours ago, Larz said:

and you know what ?

nothing has changed

That's Great!!!...  God Bless to your daughter & her boyfriend.

There’s no way Mayfield lasts till the 6th pick. Someone will move up to the Colts pick and take him. He’s obviously the 3rd best QB  prospect in the lot. Cousins is the wildcard and will determine who will move up to 3.  Jets, Bills, Broncos are three favorites. I don’t see the Fins giving up on Tannehill yet. Allen played well but he is light years behind Mayfield.  So if we don’t get to move up and he’s gone, which he will, move back. Fortify the OL and grab one of the 2nd tier qb’s in round 2.  Not ideal but better than nothing. 

I'm on the same page as most of you, give me 

Cousins, Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen and I'm happy. If all those are gone then give me Allen. I don't see Macc remotely liking Jackson so I feel 100% comfortable saying he won't be our pick but if all the previous QBs are gone I'd even be okay with him. I just want this franchise to sell me hope and then we can go from there.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Cousins, Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen and I'm happy. If all those are gone then give me Allen. I don't see Macc remotely liking Jackson so I feel 100% comfortable saying he won't be our pick but if all the previous QBs are gone I'd even be okay with him. I just want this franchise to sell me hope and then we can go from there.

If we miss out on all 4 and Allen is there at 6 .. I’m still not taking him. I’d draft BPA and then go after Lauletta in a later round.

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think it's funny people think Jackson should go back to school, lol. For what? Now he heads to the NFL to learn with the big boys. It might take a few years, but Jackson is gonna be exciting as hell. I'm telling you, he'll be making Russell Wilson moves and motoring down the sideline for 60 yards, throwing bombs on the run like Randall Cunningham, and running end arounds for TDs. 

Jackson is the guy that has the highest ceiling! The game has changed SO MUCH. Even Bortles mobility was more important in Pittsburgh than his arm. He ran for 86 yards & threw for 89 I think? I think Baker will be good too, but I think long term, Jackson will have a career better than all of these guys. He's a great kid, a gym rat, smart, and hates to lose, has a rocket arm, can easily throw the ball 60 yards on the run, is probably the fastest QB to come to the NFL since Mike Vick, but isn't the piece of sh*t human Vick was.

Anything is more exciting than the garbage offense we've watched for 7 years. I'm not jumping off a bridge if the Jets pick Jackson, add a RB like Michel, draft a Center or edge rusher. There are so many directions for the Jets brass to go this offseason in free agency & the draft, fortunately there might be 3 options, and all of them could be a path to success.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think it's funny people think Jackson should go back to school, lol. For what? Now he heads to the NFL to learn with the big boys. It might take a few years, but Jackson is gonna be exciting as hell. I'm telling you, he'll be making Russell Wilson moves and motoring down the sideline for 60 yards, throwing bombs on the run like Randall Cunningham, and running end arounds for TDs. 

Jackson is the guy that has the highest ceiling! The game has changed SO MUCH. Even Bortles mobility was more important in Pittsburgh than his arm. He ran for 86 yards & threw for 89 I think? I think Baker will be good too, but I think long term, Jackson will have a career better than all of these guys. He's a great kid, a gym rat, smart, and hates to lose, has a rocket arm, can easily throw the ball 60 yards on the run, is probably the fastest QB to come to the NFL since Mike Vick, but isn't the piece of sh*t human Vick was.

Anything is more exciting than the garbage offense we've watched for 7 years. I'm not jumping off a bridge if the Jets pick Jackson, add a RB like Michel, draft a Center or edge rusher. There are so many directions for the Jets brass to go this offseason in free agency & the draft, fortunately there might be 3 options, and all of them could be a path to success.

I respectfully have to disagree.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If we miss out on all 4 and Allen is there at 6 .. I’m still not taking him. I’d draft BPA and then go after Lauletta in a later round.

It would take a monumental set of nuts to pass on what scouts call a top 10 QB if we don't have one. I agree if we don't like Allen then don't pull the trigger but in this hypothetical situation I can't see people who have their jobs on the line passing on him. I like the 2nd wave of QBs in this class but I think those caliber players should be going to teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Chargers and what not. I just can't see Macc passing on him if he's the last option to save his job.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Don't get me wrong I would be excited if we took Jackson but I wouldn't expect him to last long in the NFL. Running QBs just don't have a long shelf life, my guess is he is a lightning in a bottle player similar to RG3 (without being a head case) but is a non factor by age 30 or 31 like Vick having only played 1 full 16 games season due to injury.

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It would take a monumental set of nuts to pass on what scouts call a top 10 QB if we don't have one. I agree if we don't like Allen then don't pull the trigger but in this hypothetical situation I can't see people who have their jobs on the line passing on him. I like the 2nd wave of QBs in this class but I think those caliber players should be going to teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Chargers and what not. I just can't see Macc passing on him if he's the last option to save his job.

It would set us back 5 years if he blows and I personally think he blows so there’s no way i’d put the team in a detrimental situation. All I’m saying is, if I’m GM I wouldn’t pick him because I don’t have faith in him. I’d sign a FA and put Lauletta behind that FA.

If the Jets don’t pick a QB this year after having a chance to draft quality QBs last year and they don’t get a Cousins in FA; they should just hand in their resignation papers. 

The only thing that could save them would be if Hackenberg really is a quality QB and they are developing him which seems impossible at this point.   

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I respectfully have to disagree.

And that's fine. Jackson is not some stupid player running around like a chicken with his head cut off. The NFL has drastically changed since Michael Vick played. RG3 was STUPID! He started believing he was Superman. He was not running out of bounds & taking shots along the sideline, he was diving head first, he wasn't throwing the ball away. Do you know how hard it is today to play defense vs a mobile QB? Just watch Wilson, and he played behind easily one of the WORST OLINES in the league last year. 

If a coach like Bill Cowher can have some success with a player like Kordell Stewart, than Jackson under the right coaching can be awesome. Jackson is 3 times the QB, Stewart was when he entered the NFL. We had fans ON THIS SITE, that were hoping Tyrod Taylor would be available last year? Jackson is Tyrod Taylor on STEROIDS! Taylor got the Bills in the playoffs last year. I'm gonna say it right here, and I have no problem coming back to it in the future, many, many people here wanted us to move up & get Marcus Mariotta. Jackson will have more success & a better career than Mariotta!

55 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It would set us back 5 years if he blows and I personally think he blows so there’s no way i’d put the team in a detrimental situation. All I’m saying is, if I’m GM I wouldn’t pick him because I don’t have faith in him. I’d sign a FA and put Lauletta behind that FA.

Yea I am not high on him but if NFL GMs feel he's a top 10 pick and we pass on him without a QB on the roster I don't think Macc keeps his job. The argument isn't really what you or I think about him as much as the NFL/Jets think about him.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mayfield left the game at halftime yesterday? Weird.

Why?

it was an all star game, all QB's had to get a few series.   Mayfield was unsure if he was even going to play in it until game day.  For the players the Senior Bowl is all about improving their draft stock during the week at practice when all the scouts and GM's are there.

Actual game day 90+% of the GM's are gone.  Why take a chance on a freak injury.  Mayfield's stock had risen during the good practice week he had.  Allen started the week off badly, and finished well on Thursday.  he needed the game play 

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I am not high on him but if NFL GMs feel he's a top 10 pick and we pass on him without a QB on the roster I don't think Macc keeps his job. The argument isn't really what you or I think about him as much as the NFL/Jets think about him.

Not even what any of the other 31 GM’s think. Only what Macc thinks. But I can only speak from my own perspective and what I personally think of the pick.

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Why?

it was an all star game, all QB's had to get a few series.   Mayfield was unsure if he was even going to play in it until game day.  For the players the Senior Bowl is all about improving their draft stock during the week at practice when all the scouts and GM's are there.

Actual game day 90+% of the GM's are gone.  Why take a chance on a freak injury.  Mayfield's stock had risen during the good practice week he had.  Allen started the week off badly, and finished well on Thursday.  he needed the game play 

CImini had it in his blurb that he just left at halftime. Maybe that usually happens, IDK. Kinda got the impression from reporters there that there's a flakiness vibe to Mayfield. 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

CImini had it in his blurb that he just left at halftime. Maybe that usually happens, IDK. Kinda got the impression from reporters there that there's a flakiness vibe to Mayfield. 

His Mom had some kind of a serious heart issue the day the Senior Bowl practices started.  That's why he was late.  Not sure it's flaky for Mayfield to want to get home as soon as possible  to see what's up with his Mother's health.

Maybe in Cimini's mind it is, but not mine.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

His Mom had some kind of a serious heart issue the day the Senior Bowl practices started.  That's why he was late.  Not sure it's flaky for Mayfield to want to get home as soon as possible  to see what's up with his Mother's health.

Maybe in Cimini's mind it is, but not mine.

gotcha

My gut on Mayfield-

-No chance the Jets take him at 6

-Jets should consider taking him at 6

-He's going to drop to the late first

-Jets should trade up to take him there

- He's a headcase that will likely flame out

- Big 12 QB's have not been good.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

My gut on Mayfield-

-No chance the Jets take him at 6

-Jets should consider take him at 6

-He's going to drop to the late first

-Jets should trade up to take him there

- He's a headcase that will likely flame out

If the Jets wait to trade up into the late 1st round to get their QB, they are going to come up empty and get fired.  All indications at this point is that Mayfield will be a top ten pick.

Mehta (take it for what it's worth) had an article yesterday that said the Jets had an hour + black board and flash card interview with him, and a "lil green and white birdie told him they came away very impressed".

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If the Jets wait to trade up into the late 1st round to get their QB, they are going to come up empty and get fired.  All indications at this point is that Mayfield will be a top ten pick.

Mehta (take it for what it's worth) had an article yesterday that said the Jets had an hour + black board and flash card interview with him, and a "lil green and white birdie told him they came away very impressed".

We'll see. I really have a hard time believing Bowles gives the green light or endorsing taking a QB (a histrionic QB for that matter) with a premium pick that could go to his defense.

This is pure speculation by me. :)

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We'll see. I really have a hard time believing Bowles gives the green light or endorsing taking a QB (a histrionic QB for that matter) with a premium pick that could go to his defense.

This is pure speculation by me. :)

It's speculation by all of us, that's what makes it fun :)

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

ugh came away impressed by classroom stuff.  They loved hack for that too. 

I have great reservations about mayfield.  He has some good qualities no doubt.

In any case if either rosen or darnold get past the 1st two picks the jets had better do what they have to to trade with indy.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

ugh came away impressed by classroom stuff.  They loved hack for that too. 

I have great reservations about mayfield.  He has some good qualities no doubt.

In any case if either rosen or darnold get past the 1st two picks the jets had better do what they have to to trade with indy.

Tell ya the truth Fish, Rosen, for all his talent, scares the hell out of me.  Shoulder surgery, and two concussions, before he even gets to the NFL is a major red flag.  Don't want another Pennington situation.

Myself, I would take Mayfield over Rosen.  Then again I guess that's why we do what we do for a living, and aren't NFL GM's :) 

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Tell ya the truth Fish, Rosen, for all his talent, scares the hell out of me.  Shoulder surgery, and two concussions, before he even gets to the NFL is a major red flag.  Don't want another Pennington situation.

Myself, I would take Mayfield over Rosen.  Then again I guess that's why we do what we do for a living, and aren't NFL GM's :) 

Well chad never had a strong arm to begin with and after these injuries rosen still throws well.  If he throws well at the combine that is good enough for me.  In any case this draft should be fun but have that dread feeling that jets will do something stupid (thus it will be a normal jets draft.)

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Not to belabor this, but the Jets had two prospects cleaner than this crop sitting at 6 last year and passed. They've boxed themselves in here...even with that being said, Bowles wont be pushing QB at 6.

Archived