An Extensive Look Into Senior Bowl Week:: Baker Mayfield

Patriot Killa

This draft has Mayfield going in the 2nd rd to the Cards and look who the Jets took with the 6th pick..:blink:  https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Yeah I saw this. The Draftek board is usually pretty reliable. I’m not sure though Rudolph is first round material. BUT- he meets all the Parcells rules for a QB. The other? Baker Mayfield.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel the same exact way. Word for word. I think he may go #1 with how Josh Rosen has played himself out of that spot .. and if he doesn’t go #1 we need to do everything we possibly can to trade up. I feel like he’s going to be great for a very long time ..sadly I also feel like he’ll either be a Cleveland Brown or a Denver Bronco. The Broncos FO are obsessed with him. I really want him to be a Jet, too though. I started off wanting Rosen more but I think I want Mayfield the most at this point. 

Rosen. I hear NOBODY gushing about this guy. I didn’t watch alot of tape but why him over Rudolph? Mayfield? The media portrayed him as an ass.

If any of the top 4 QBs is available at pick 6 the Jets would be nuts not to take him.  Any of them is better then what they have now.  Improving offense helps the defense because it keeps the opposition offense on the sideline.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not to belabor this, but the Jets had two prospects cleaner than this crop sitting at 6 last year and passed. They've boxed themselves in here...even with that being said, Bowles wont be pushing QB at 6.

I say the same thing and it isn't belaboring the point IMO...... :) 

If they have blown this they should not be permitted to sit their positions for another year.  

No coach or GM should be afforded to be on some kind of eight year plan to see if they know what they doing...

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well chad never had a strong arm to begin with and after these injuries rosen still throws well.  If he throws well at the combine that is good enough for me.  In any case this draft should be fun but have that dread feeling that jets will do something stupid (thus it will be a normal jets draft.)

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not to belabor this, but the Jets had two prospects cleaner than this crop sitting at 6 last year and passed. They've boxed themselves in here...even with that being said, Bowles wont be pushing QB at 6.

And at this point that's why I'm hoping Jets have Cousins under contract when the draft comes, and take Barkley 

8 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Rosen. I hear NOBODY gushing about this guy. I didn’t watch alot of tape but why him over Rudolph? Mayfield? The media portrayed him as an ass.

There are plenty of people here who covet his natural ability to throw the ball. He is the most natural passer in this draft. He also has the cleanest throwing mechanics in the draft. I simply mean, he talked his way out of the #1 pick by saying he doesn’t want to play for Cleveland. The person I suggested we trade up for is Mayfield. Rudolph? Oh no. He is in the second tier of this QB class..

47 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If the Jets wait to trade up into the late 1st round to get their QB, they are going to come up empty and get fired.  All indications at this point is that Mayfield will be a top ten pick.

Mehta (take it for what it's worth) had an article yesterday that said the Jets had an hour + black board and flash card interview with him, and a "lil green and white birdie told him they came away very impressed".

Heads up, Rich Cimini also said the Jets have a “secret crush and hope to pick Mayfield”. As much of an ass as Cimini is .. he usually doesn’t agree or say the same things as Mehta unless he thinks it’s true. Mehta has been on point these last few times. I’ll give the snarky bastard that if I give him anything.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

reading everywhere how yesterday lifted Allen's stock and how he'll be off the board before 6.  

I'll reserve judgment till after the combine.

Combine should raise his stock as well. Once people see his velocity, athletic measurements, ect. I’m confident his stock with rise .. but here’s the spoiler .. I still don’t think he goes top 5. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Why?

it was an all star game, all QB's had to get a few series.   Mayfield was unsure if he was even going to play in it until game day.  For the players the Senior Bowl is all about improving their draft stock during the week at practice when all the scouts and GM's are there.

Actual game day 90+% of the GM's are gone.  Why take a chance on a freak injury.  Mayfield's stock had risen during the good practice week he had.  Allen started the week off badly, and finished well on Thursday.  he needed the game play 

I agree w Matt fwiw, still think it's weird. 

It won't be boring if we get Mayfield. He doesn't have classic franchise Qb height but either does Drew Brees, etc. I don't think he will go in the top ten and would not select him at #6. If they like him and give him a grade of overall 10-20 then maybe trade back (if a trade partner) or package one of the twos etc. (or both) to trade up. I don't see Mac as being a good trader on draft day. Tanny was actually better than him on those type of deals. At least he made more of them. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

His Mom had some kind of a serious heart issue the day the Senior Bowl practices started.  That's why he was late.  Not sure it's flaky for Mayfield to want to get home as soon as possible  to see what's up with his Mother's health.

Maybe in Cimini's mind it is, but not mine.

Oh yeah, nevermind my above post

25 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It won't be boring if we get Mayfield. He doesn't have classic franchise Qb height but either does Drew Brees, etc. I don't think he will go in the top ten and would not select him at #6. If they like him and give him a grade of overall 10-20 then maybe trade back (if a trade partner) or package the one of the twos etc. (or both) to trade up. I don't see Mac as being a good trader on draft day. Tanny was actually better than him on those type of deals. At least he made more of them. 

If we had Sean Payton I would be absolutely thrilled to get Mayfield. And if not Payton maybe somebody on his offensive staff.

....oh wait

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Mayfield left the game at halftime yesterday? Weird. Interviews should be interesting at the combine.

Mayfield stunk in the first half and his agent told him to run out of the building before he played himself out of the first round

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

reading everywhere how yesterday lifted Allen's stock and how he'll be off the board before 6.  

I'll reserve judgment till after the combine.

Like I said if Allen looked even decent in the Sr Bowl he won’t get past the Broncos at 5

Allen will wreck the combine he is an Adonis

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mayfield stunk in the first half and his agent told him to run out of the building before he played himself out of the first round

He doesn’t have an agent. And he went to go see his mother in the hospital. Would you not be concerned if your mother was in the hospital? You are a joke.

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The QBASE projection will likely fade Mayfield due to strength of schedule. He does hit two important benchmarks of completion % and games started(which is becoming less meaningful). The Big 12 passers have generally been bad NFL QB's.

Teammates too - Andrews, Brown, Wren, and Flowers are all getting drafted.

That said they’ll definitely note in their analysis the back to back #1 passing offenses by FO’s S&P+ and 10th in 2015. Can’t remember if it’s included or not.

Is the games played thing true or just from Wentz? It’s fallen firmly behind completing passes but otherwise? 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

That said they’ll definitely note in their analysis the back to back #1 passing offenses by FO’s S&P+ and 10th in 2015. Can’t remember if it’s included or not.

Is the games played thing true or just from Wentz? 

Less meaningful in terms of pro success. If these 2 year starters who put up dazzling numbers in college were to play another 14 games or so, they'd put up another year of good numbers. Not sure if FO is accounting for this.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Less meaningful in terms of pro success. If these 2 year starters who put up dazzling numbers in college were to play another 14 games or so, they'd put up another year of good numbers. Not sure if FO is accounting for this.

Trubisky ahead of Watson suggests they’ve thought about it, maybe. He was only a one year starter and got the better projectjon on the 69% completion rate. I can see it, especially as coaching and scouting improves as mocks are a factor. 

52 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Trubisky ahead of Watson suggests they’ve thought about it, maybe. He was only a one year starter and got the better projectjon on the 69% completion rate. I can see it, especially as coaching and scouting improves as mocks are a factor. 

The Mayfield stuff is feeling a lot like the Watson stuff. I don’t think scouting has caught up with the way QB play is trending. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Mayfield stuff is feeling a lot like the Watson stuff. I don’t think scouting has caught up with the way QB play is trending. 

I don’t believe so. This trend just started a year or two ago. You can basically consider Watson as one of the original catalyst to this trend.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

True, still getting Josh Allened. Plus I was contradicting myself, completion% then games started among other things has been going great no reason to get off of it. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Watson still ended up going 12th and aced his interviews. We'll see what happens with Mayfield at the combine (if he shows up)- I'm guessing there will be reviews all over the map. 

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Is the games played thing true or just from Wentz? It’s fallen firmly behind completing passes but otherwise? 

Should also include teammates Dede Westbrook, Mixon, Perine, Sterling Shephard. The kids been surrounded by a ton of NFL talent. The more I look into Mayfield the less I'd draft him. Intentional sh*t stirrer, surrounded by a ton of NFL talent in a conference that plays no defense. Meh. 

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Should also include teammates Dede Westbrook, Mixon, Perine, Sterling Shephard. The kids been surrounded by a ton of NFL talent. The more I look into Mayfield the less I'd draft him. Intentional sh*t stirrer, surrounded by a ton of NFL talent in a conference that plays no defense. Meh. 

Coming from the guy who thinks Kristaps Porzingas isn’t a star and is a simple 25 minute player.?

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Watson still ended up going 12th and aced his interviews. We'll see what happens with Mayfield at the combine (if he shows up)- I'm guessing there will be reviews all over the map. 

I think I mean more so personally. Like, instinctively I look at Mayfield, and that conference, and the fact that his fullback was getting 40 yards a clip on screen passes, his height, etc etc and I want to discount him, but we’re seeing a bunch of atypical, non-savant QBs having some success these days and I realize that maybe we’re entering a period where offense in the NFL is going to look a lot more like Urban Meyer than Red Grange, and so your QB doesn’t have to be a Rhodes Scholar anymore.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think I mean more so personally. Like, instinctively I look at Mayfield, and that conference, and the fact that his fullback was getting 40 yards a clip on screen passes, his height, etc etc and I want to discount him, but we’re seeing a bunch of atypical, non-savant QBs having some success these days and I realize that maybe we’re entering a period where offense in the NFL is going to look a lot more like Urban Meyer than Red Grange, and so your QB doesn’t have to be a Rhodes Scholar anymore.

So ultimately what do you make out of Mayfield? Manziel clone bust..? Or star..? Or productive..? What’s your take?

24 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So ultimately what do you make out of Mayfield? Manziel clone bust..? Or star..? Or productive..? What’s your take?

To be honest who knows... only time will tell... who here or anywhere thought Brady would be what he is...  I am confident that 99.9999999% of the population did not.

ps- I want Mayfield & I want him to be extremely successful for us. 

45 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think if he comes to the Jets and is asked to be Josh McCown, he’ll fail because he’s not that type of player. I hope he goes to Cleveland where Hue Jackson and Todd Haley can have some fun creating an offense for him.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think if he comes to the Jets and is asked to be Josh McCown, he’ll fail because he’s not that type of player. I hope he goes to Cleveland where Hue Jackson and Todd Haley can have some fun creating an offense for him.

I agree. He needs to be able to do what he does best. What if he isn’t asked to be super conservative like McCown though? What if he gets an offense he can move around freely in? PA bootlegs, some shotgun implementation, ect.

Archived