Ziggy Ansah please

Philc1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t be against going after him. Hell, to me he’s the only passrusher worth the big price tag, at least for the Jets.

But I can’t see Dallas letting him hit the market. He’s probably getting the franchise tag.

Oh yeah. It’s about 99.99% that he gets that franchise tag or a long term contract. It’s a nice pipe dream though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

A injury prone 4-3 pass rusher?

Pass.

i’ll take Demarcus Lawrence though.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

3 for 7 for 9 yards and ordered out the building by his agent

hahahahghagagagahahahaha

Why.  Is he.  Still.  Allowed here.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Underrated FA. Had a great year.

He dominated the one game I believe against the Cowboys. I can't remember whether he had 5 or 6 sacks. As for Lawrence, he scares me simply because he had two back surgeries from my understanding. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He dominated the one game I believe against the Cowboys. I can't remember whether he had 5 or 6 sacks. As for Lawrence, he scares me simply because he had two back surgeries from my understanding. 

I’d take Clayborn in a heart beat. I mean, you aren’t wrong. Lawrence does have some concerns. Risk/Reward situation. Any idea how old Clayborn is?

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Meh, no more or less wild than the draft QBs only better positioned to pull it off. 

Any other team in this league would be a better choice than the jets if money is in the same stratosphere for Cousins.  We can hope and wish all we want but this team is near bottom of the barrel for any qb that has any desire to win and succeed on offense.

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’d take Clayborn in a heart beat. I mean, you aren’t wrong. Lawrence does have some concerns. Risk/Reward situation. Any idea how old Clayborn is?

He's 29. I gotta introduce you to this thing called Google. :lol: Just messing man, but we really do need a pass rusher. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Clayborn has been a good player for a number of years.  I had him on the list of guys i wanted before he had his huge game vs dallas.

13 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He's 29. I gotta introduce you to this thing called Google. :lol: Just messing man, but we really do need a pass rusher. 

Ahaha I’m too lazy to do that leg work.? 

but yeah, we do. 9 sacks is pretty damn good. 29 isn’t terrible. If we can get a good 4-5 years from him that would be cool. He’d cost a lot less.

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Any other team in this league would be a better choice than the jets if money is in the same stratosphere for Cousins.  We can hope and wish all we want but this team is near bottom of the barrel for any qb that has any desire to win and succeed on offense.

Yep.  Anyone trying to convince themselves that the Jets have a chance at Cousins if the money is in the same ballpark is kidding themselves.  The Broncos are a better franchise, have a better fanbase, and have had recent success.  The cost of living is also a lot cheaper and you don't have to deal with all the snakes in the media.  The Jets will literally have to buy Kirk Cousins.  

And no chance at Darnold because the Browns are not passing on him.  And no way the Giants are giving the Jets the chance to draft Rosen.  

Even with the draft picks and all the money, the Jets are not in a good spot.

10 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Good thing we have Coach Bowles who knows how to get the most motivation out of his high priced veterans.

Sheesh, and here I thought he was well respected enough by his players to get a projected 0-3 win team to 5-11.... but clearly we have a lot of Jets insiders here a JN.

This was already discussed. The Lions are ready to move on from Ziggy:

Detroit Lions: Is it time to move on from Ziggy Ansah?

With their former Pro Bowl defensive end , Ziggy Ansah, becoming an unrestricted free agent, the Detroit Lions are at a crossroads.

As any fan of the Detroit Lions knows, we don’t get a lot of superstars and Pro Bowlers on this team. We usually only have three or four guys on the roster famous enough to sell jerseys with their names on them, let alone guys who have made the Pro Bowl.

So when Detroit finally does get a player with superstar potential, it’s hard for the Lions to let go of him. But sometimes, these stars get too expensive, and their value decreases tenfold.

This appears to be the case with defensive end Ezekiel Ansah, as while the man is a former Pro Bowler and one of the most popular Lions at the moment, it may be time for the Cardiac Cats to move on from him.

What to do with Ziggy is potentially going to be general manager Bob Quinn’s toughest decision to make this offseason. Ansah is finally finished with his rookie contract and is currently an unrestricted free agent, meaning that Quinn either has to sign him to a hefty contract or let him walk and take his business elsewhere.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love Ansah, as his incredible mix of speed and size makes him seem inhuman. And he’s fun to watch every game. Ansah has now had multiple seasons with double-digit sacks, has appeared on the NFL’s top 100 players list, and has proven he can contribute in the playoffs. Ziggy is a great player to have on the defense when he’s healthy.

But the key phrase in that last paragraph was “when he’s healthy,” because that is something Ansah has never been very good at.

Let’s do some math here. Ansah just finished his fifth season and has played in two playoff games. This means the maximum amount of games that he could have played in that time frame is 87 NFL games.

Of those 87 games, Ansah has been listed as hurt (meaning anywhere from probable, questionable, doubtful or completely out) in 43 (!!!) games. That’s almost half the games he could have possibly played in, which means statistically he’s likely to be hurt every other game, which is scary to think about.

It’s not an exaggeration when I say that Ansah has literally sustained an injury to almost every part of his body. Since 2013, he has dealt with a concussion and injuries to his abdomen, ankles, knees, shoulder, toes, elbow, back, and hamstring. Even the most optimistic Lions fan has to think that he is becoming damaged goods at this point.

In the last two seasons, Ansah has been listed on the official Lions injury report 25 of a 32 weeks, meaning he was hurt more than 78 percent of the time. This is another scary thought to think about when dealing with a player who relies mostly on body strength and off-the-ball speed, two things that haven’t been in great shape as of late.

Hurt 78% of the time. 78%! This would be a typical Macc move if they sign this guy. I have watched him play off and on since his rookie year. The guy can play but can't stay on the field. The Jets don't need more question marks and for all his talent that's just what Ziggy is. The Lions drafted him and with their need on the DL they are still not set on re-signing him. If Ziggy was the player his stats say he is he would never reach FA and would be tagged or signed long term by now. Stay away Macc. He is damaged goods.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Any other team in this league would be a better choice than the jets if money is in the same stratosphere for Cousins.  

Jets have more money than that, money to buy Cousins and a whole new offense even. I’d be more into the narrative about the Jets being some kind of irreconciable situation if teams like the Rams, Eagles, and Jaguars weren’t the new latest and greatest. Cousins, some new OL, RB, and a pass catching TE gets this team in business, and that alone can be done before the draft. 

Even if I wanted to pay a third defensive FA big money in four years:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/28/demarcus-lawrence-thinks-cowboys-will-lock-him-up-before-free-agency/

Lawrence and his agent said they’re expecting either a long-term deal to get done before free agency, or a franchise tag. Lawrence said he’s happy to hear that the Cowboys are prioritizing signing him.

“It’s great for them to prioritize me as being a Cowboy,” Lawrence told ESPN. “I’m not worried about it. I’m gonna let my agent worry about that part. . . . I believe and trust in him 100 percent to get the job done.”

Ansah has too much risk associated with paying him.

Personally I dont think you fix your passrush by signing one FA who obviously has some ???s otherwise he wouldnt be available.

Id rather spend on 2 CBs along with Clairborne and build the secondary to allow us to generate a better rush without needing Von Miller 2.0.  I still think Mac should draft edge guys every year, in the hopes of finding a legit one, I just know its harder then it seems.

Personally, I dont love Harold Landry as a prospect, but if he is actually available at our second round pick, thats a great risk-reward selection as he has the physical ability to be an elite edge rusher.

Potential Jets target Demarcus Lawrence not expected to leave Cowboys

Updated Posted

2 shares

By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets need a pass rusher. And, come free agency, they'll finally have the financial resources to sign one to a big-money contract. 

Just one issue: It doesn't look like the best the open market has to offer will ever hit the open market in the first place. 

According to ESPN, talks of a new deal between the Cowboys and free-agent-to-be Demarcus Lawrence are expected to begin within the next few weeks. Re-signing the big-play outside linebacker is a "top priority" for Dallas, and the team hopes to strike a long-term deal before the free-agent signing period begin March 14. 

"I would imagine that they're probably not just letting us get to free agency and leave Dallas," Dave Canter, Lawrence's agent, told ESPN.

Lawrence, 25, enjoyed a breakout season in this year, his fourth. The former second-round pick set career highs in tackles (58), sacks (14.5), forced fumbles (4) and fumble recoveries. He made the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career, and was one of the few bright spots during a disappointing Cowboys season. 

If Lawrence does return to Dallas, the next-best free-agent-to-be is Detroit's Ezekiel Ansah. He's slightly older (28) and bigger (6-5, 275) , and doesn't have much experience in a 3-4 defense. But he's been wildly productive since the Lions drafted him fifth overall in 2013. 

ADVERTISING

In 73 games, Ansah has 207 tackles, 44 sacks and 10 forced fumbles. He had a career-high 14.5 sacks and four forced fumbles in 2015, then another 44 tackles and 12 sacks in 14 games this year. 

The last 10 offensive players drafted by the Jets

The Jets defense has been OK the last few years, but the lack of a true edge rusher hurt coach Todd Bowles' scheme. Outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin, a third-round pick in 2015, didn't develop as hoped, while Sheldon Richardson (now with the Seahawks), Leonard Williams and Muhammad Wilkerson are traditional 3-4 defensive ends. 

The Jets made a run at Olivier Vernon in 2016, but he signed with the Giants. They targeted Nick Perry in 2017, but he re-signed with the Packers. New York figures to have $100 million in salary cap space by the start of free agency, so if Ansah hits the open market, they'll have the money to pay him. 

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook

11 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Jets have more money than that, money to buy Cousins and a whole new offense even. I’d be more into the narrative about the Jets being some kind of irreconciable situation if teams like the Rams, Eagles, and Jaguars weren’t the new latest and greatest. Cousins, some new OL, RB, and a pass catching TE gets this team in business, and that alone can be done before the draft. 

Any team that wants him will clear cap room.

The other part of the equation is that cart before the horse.  If the Jets want cousins they need to go after him hard right away and make him a priority.  to show him we have all the weapionzzzz we would have to sign a whole pile of FA first and then go after him.

The jets only hope would be to grossly over pay and over term and over guarantee Romney which they might do but most other teams that would have an interest in cousins are in better shape than us.

45 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

28 years old and coming off a season with 12 sacks

But Ansah is “aging” !

I think the point is more that you don't want to sign him to a long-term deal.  He is probably going to want a 5 year deal.  Von Miller is basically the same age and he signed a 6 year deal.  That was okay because Miller was in the league 2 years before Ansah, so he signed it in 2016.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Any team that wants him will clear cap room.

Yes, the Jets did that already, more than everyone else. There’s no order of operations on this - they have the money to sign FAs before, after, way before, way after - the real key is signing him. They’re not just paying for Cousins and leaving him hanging, of course they’ll be getting him weaponz. 

The overpay thing seems to pop up once the poster I’m responding to about Cousins comes to realize how much money the Jets have. If teams are clearing payroll just to have a shot at landing the guy, besides good ol’ JN Math what will make the deal an overpay? Barring disaster it will be an outright bargain by the time the ink on Jameis Winston’s second contract is dry, let alone the half dozen other QBs coming after him. 

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the point is more that you don't want to sign him to a long-term deal.  He is probably going to want a 5 year deal.  Von Miller is basically the same age and he signed a 6 year deal.  That was okay because Miller was in the league 2 years before Ansah, so he signed it in 2016.  

Pass rushers play well deep into their 30’s.  Reggie White, Michael Strahan, Kevin Greene, Julius Peppers etc.

James Harrison had a sack last week against Bortles and he’s pushing 40

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

James Harrison had a sack last week against Bortles and he’s pushing 40

He also played for league min or veterans min if there is one. Ansah doesn’t really compare to those pass rushers you mentioned except that he’s not in their league. 

Archived