Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

Cousins' passer rating dropped from 2015 (his first full season as Washington's starter) to 2016 and then again from 2016 to 2017 and that his numbers plummeted during this season—from September (105.3 rating) to October (102.0) to November (94.6) to December (75.0). Free-agent departures and injuries surely played a role, but it's also possible the flawed 2012 fourth-round pick has already reached the summit of his career.

No thanx 

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This. 

And it’s also exactly why he’s not coming to the Jets. He wants quality of life for his family, a chance to consistently go to the playoffs, and a non-dysfunctional front office. 

We are Washington North. It’s not happening. We exist to drive his FA pricetag, nothing more. 

SAR I

Cousins would have stayed in DC.  It’s the owner who didn’t want to pay him

8 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

Cousins' passer rating dropped from 2015 (his first full season as Washington's starter) to 2016 and then again from 2016 to 2017 and that his numbers plummeted during this season—from September (105.3 rating) to October (102.0) to November (94.6) to December (75.0). Free-agent departures and injuries surely played a role, but it's also possible the flawed 2012 fourth-round pick has already reached the summit of his career.

No thanx 

It played a significant role. I think he can put up 30+ TD’s, 5,000 yards in his peak.

Just now, Philc1 said:

Cousins would have stayed in DC.  It’s the owner who didn’t want to pay him

He wanted to pay..just not without low balling Cousins. Bruce Allen is apparently very incompetent as a GM and if it wasn’t for Scott’s drinking problems, wouldn’t even be in that seat.

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He wanted to pay..just not without low balling Cousins. Bruce Allen is apparently very incompetent as a GM and if it wasn’t for Scott’s drinking problems, wouldn’t even be in that seat.

Redskins are a mess right now

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Has anyone thought that the reason Cousins never agreed to terms with Washington is because he didn't want to be in Washington? Washington has more or less been a disaster since Snyder got there and there is no reason to believe Snyder is going to sell the team anytime soon. Maybe the only reason Cousins hasn't left before is because he kept getting tagged. 

And Snyder basically told him and his agents to **** off when they asked the Redskins to give him a 5 year 40/m extension when he became a starer(which is still below value for any starting NFL QB).  Why should he show any loyalty/faith in him when they didn't show that to him?

Jeremy Bates and Dennison are the biggest advantages we now have in this race and frankly it puts us in the lead.

Jacksonville is bringing back Bortles and cant pay him $19 and Cousins $25.  He isnt going to cleveland no matter what.  So that leaves, Jets, Bills, Arizona and Denver.

Cousins already said he likes our system, and frankly he needs a Kyle Shanahan type system (similar to Matt Ryan) to maximize his abilities.  I dont think its anywhere near a slam dunk that he would prefer any of the aforementioned teams.

Our best bet is to get Ryan Jensen signed in the first hour of FA, and let cousins know he has a much improved line to go with a system he likes to start off the discussions.

I know it will never happen but Jet fans need to stop trying to have it both ways.  You can't
complain about never having a QB then when the opportunity presents itself you can't complain
about having to pay for him.  We have never had this amount of cap space and probably will
never have it again, for once why shouldn't we use it as a "weapon" and try to solve the QB
problem.  With Cousins hitting the market I think it's the first time since Brees left SD to
go to NO that this has happened

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This means Denver signs cousins. Jets now will get option of Allen or mayfield, and possibly Danold or Rosen if Allen and/or mayfield are picked ahead of them?

Not true at all. What if the draft played out like this.

1. Cleveland - Darnold

2. Giants - Rosen

3. Indy - Trades out with Arizona, Buffalo or someone other than us and takes Allen

4. Cleveland -  Barkley

5. Denver - They signed Cousins so this pick becomes attractive for a trade infront of the Jets. Again, it could be any of 3-4 teams. This team takes Baker Mayfield

So if we don't sign Cousins we almost certainly will have to trade up or could very possibly be left without Cousins or any of the top 4 QBs. In turn would have to settle on one of the Minnesota QBs.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Jeremy Bates and Dennison are the biggest advantages we now have in this race and frankly it puts us in the lead.

Jacksonville is bringing back Bortles and cant pay him $19 and Cousins $25.  He isnt going to cleveland no matter what.  So that leaves, Jets, Bills, Arizona and Denver.

Cousins already said he likes our system, and frankly he needs a Kyle Shanahan type system (similar to Matt Ryan) to maximize his abilities.  I dont think its anywhere near a slam dunk that he would prefer any of the aforementioned teams.

Our best bet is to get Ryan Jensen signed in the first hour of FA, and let cousins know he has a much improved line to go with a system he likes to start off the discussions.

Cousins would have the "leverage" to guide Maccagnan/Bowles into bringing in the free agents

he would want to play with

6 hours ago, BigO said:

Has no bearing on us. They have no intention of going after either Smith or Cousins. If anything this opens the door for Cousins to be targeted by a potential contender. Hopefully Broncos bite leaving another QB available in the draft. Elway had success with Manning and looks like he’s seen enough of Semian and Lynch. McClown will soon be resigned by Mac ending any further speculation of any other vet. It’s up to Mac to decide now if he trades up or sits at 6 and takes the 3rd QB in the draft. 

This post contradicts itself. It has no bearing on us? Ok fine maybe we aren’t interested in Cousins and that’s fine but still to be seen. No way in hell the number one free agent QB on the market breaking lose and coming out doesn’t somehow effect every team that needs one. What he ends up doing will determine the teams that are effected the most. Personally I think we are major players. We will see. 

9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I trust these dicks to develop a QB about as far as I can throw them.

Go get Kirk

P.S. He’s more like a B+ QB

I don’t care if he’s not Brady or Rodgers. Few are. But he’s a borderline Top 10 QB just hitting his prime.

Sadly this is true. But then again if Cousins is a sharp guy why does he sign up for Bowles' nonsense? How do you sell 2 handoffs and an 3rd and 8 heave? We pass too much despite being passing less than all but 6 other teams even though the Jets were behind most 2nd halves. Bowles changes OCs like most change socks. Would rather get a young guy in here be in place so when Bowles gets his well-deserved pink slip in 11 months,so said new intelligent coach can develop him. 

Just now, LockeJET said:

Not true at all. What if the draft played out like this.

1. Cleveland - Darnold

2. Giants - Rosen

3. Indy - Trades out with Arizona, Buffalo or someone other than us and takes Allen

4. Cleveland -  Barkley

5. Denver - They signed Cousins so this pick becomes attractive for a trade infront of the Jets. Again, it could be any of 3-4 teams. This team takes Baker Mayfield

So if we don't sign Cousins we almost certainly will have to trade up or could very possibly be left without Cousins or any of the top 4 QBs. In turn would have to settle on one of the Minnesota QBs.

He never said we wouldn't have to trade up, in fact he pretty much implied it. There is no team that can match what we have to offer if we want the #3 pick. Literally the only thing standing in our way is how much does Macc want it.

Buffalo, Arizona, and Washington don't have enough firepower.

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

I know it will never happen but Jet fans need to stop trying to have it both ways.  You can't
complain about never having a QB then when the opportunity presents itself you can't complain
about having to pay for him.  We have never had this amount of cap space and probably will
never have it again, for once why shouldn't we use it as a "weapon" and try to solve the QB
problem.  With Cousins hitting the market I think it's the first time since Brees left SD to
go to NO that this has happened

10000+ 

Just now, KRL said:

Cousins would have the "leverage" to guide Maccagnan/Bowles into bringing in the free agents

he would want to play with

And they would be smart to listen to him and do that.

My thought though looking at the top of the draft, is that if we dont need a QB and Barkley/Chubb are gone, the best pick to make is likely Quentin Nelson.  While pairing Jensen and Nelson would be a devastating combo, part of the reasoning behind a zone-blocking system is that you dont need studs at every line spot, and you want athletic players at guard and center to pull and run stretch plays.  Are those guys a fit for that or are they simply so good that they can play in a power concept and zone?

Either that or trade down and get another 2 and possibly end up with a Billy Price, Harold Landy, Nick Chubb and James Washington - which would be really nice to build around in one draft.

Great news.  Wash is a hot mess, letting a franchise QB walk away, insane. 

All in on Cousins, The Jets have actually played this one really well, clearing the decks for cap space, bringing in the possible right OC to lure this QB, some promising WR's a lot of cash to build the line and 3 high picks to add impact players.

And if they do lose out to Cle or Den, then a top Rookie QB will slide their way....  shaping up for a fun off season....

In the past 15 years we’ve had like 1 legit QB season and it was 11 games of Favre. Some of you are acting like we’re above overpaying cousins, were really not in that position. Honestly I would sign cousins and if the Jets QB that they love is there at 6 draft him as well. We need answers at the QB position, going on decades now. Sometimes you gotta be risky and not take project QBs in the later rounds constantly. 

5 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Great news.  Wash is a hot mess, letting a franchise QB walk away, insane. 

All in on Cousins, The Jets have actually played this one really well, clearing the decks for cap space, bringing in the possible right OC to lure this QB, some promising WR's a lot of cash to build the line and 3 high picks to add impact players.

And if they do lose out to Cle or Den, then a top Rookie QB will slide their way....  shaping up for a fun off season...

IMO the league has known this would be the outcome since the Redskins franchised him back in March of last year. It became crystal clear once Allen came out and made the deal they offered him public.

Macc has given us a ton of options for finding a QB. We have more money than any QB needy team, if the Browns get Cousins then they are not taking a QB so that means their pick is up to be traded or a QB falls because another player is picked in which case a Macc has armed us with more trade up power than any other team.

Now excuses now, just get us a QB!

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

You don't trust us to pick and develop the right QB, but you trust us to pick all of the right free agents and build a winning team around a guy who has a losing career record? Fair enough - why?

Because they did it the first year with Fitz until that miserable loss in Buffalo? The next year it fell to crap and sent us on a downwirkd spiral to where we are now. Yet, that has to be considered better than the drafting and utter failure to progress one Christian Hackenburgh. It’s a tough call, I get that, but a second round pick not playing a single regular season snap for two years and dressing for only three games is pretty piss poor. I trust them to screw up either scenario and be gone next year if Im being honest. But Macc picking another QB for this team is downright terrifying. 

17 minutes ago, BCJet said:

And they would be smart to listen to him and do that.

My thought though looking at the top of the draft, is that if we dont need a QB and Barkley/Chubb are gone, the best pick to make is likely Quentin Nelson.  While pairing Jensen and Nelson would be a devastating combo, part of the reasoning behind a zone-blocking system is that you dont need studs at every line spot, and you want athletic players at guard and center to pull and run stretch plays.  Are those guys a fit for that or are they simply so good that they can play in a power concept and zone?

Either that or trade down and get another 2 and possibly end up with a Billy Price, Harold Landy, Nick Chubb and James Washington - which would be really nice to build around in one draft.

If Cousins is signed you can expect Maccagnan to trade down a couple of times to accumulate
extra picks.  Because with the size of Cousins contract you would need to balance the cap
going forward by having as many "cheap" rookie contracts as possible

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Snow

Gas

kitchens

Albuquerque

what's your point? There's gonna be cap casualties whenever you pay a guy 400 million dollars.

Look pal, you want him? great. Good for you and your kids. It's NOT however, insane to be a little bit leery of spending that money on someone, anyone not named Tom Brady... so fck off giving me a hard time for not being totally kosher and having some trepidation here. 

Let’s stick with attacking points and not posters please. Though I did like your list of players better. LOL

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

If Cousins is signed you can expect Maccagnan to trade down a couple of times to accumulate
extra picks.  Because with the size of Cousins contract you would need to balance the cap
going forward by having as many "cheap" rookie contracts as possible

Yes and no, we actually need to hand out massive amounts of guaranteed money over the next 2 seasons or the Johnson family needs to cut a check for the difference to the NFLPA. My guess is we are huge players in FA but will be signing guys to fluffed up 2 or 3 year deals. We can certainly still trade down but we actually have so much money and no one to sign that if Macc wants the best player on the board then he can take him. 

Not to mention if we have Cousins we aren't really in a prime trade down spot because at least 3 teams in front of us could be drafting a QB not accounting for the other 2 teams that may want to trade out. 

If we get Cousins then I think we take Nelson or Fitzpatrick assuming Barkley and Chubb are the 2 other players taken in the top 5.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The Redskins are the Jets in maroon uniforms. 

We’ve already seen what Kirk Cousins would look like here; it doesn’t end well. 

SAR I

You and disagree strongly on this. If his defense held up Cousins beats the Saints in New Orleans. He beat Seattle in Seattle on the last drive of the game in freezing rain. 2 of the toughest places to play. 

The NY Jets haven't had a road victory against a tough opponent for years. How any Jet fan wouldn't want a competent QB, and still have the money to surround Kirk with offensive weapons. Jets sign Cousins that alone could be the reason a couple of free agents join the Jets other than getting paid well.

If the Jets can sign Kirk without giving up a draft pick even better. 3 picks in the top 72! Jets could come out of this draft with a Stud pass rusher, RB, olineman. 

Its not far fetched the Jets could sign Jarvis Landry, Jensen, Burton, Fuller. Draft Chubb or Nelson, Barkley? Or Michel or Jones. Maybe Lauletta to groom behind Kirk. How much better would we be with an offense & a defense with a new pass rusher, Fuller? Resign Clairborne with Adams & Maye in their 2nd year with experience & confidence? 

I'll be here for you to criticize if we sign Cousins & it fails. I don't believe it will fail, in fact when you look at the landscape of the AFC, 2018 will be WIDE OPEN! KC goes to a novice, the Raiders cap is busting, Denvers window is closing, Houston seems to never stay healthy, Titans, Bill, Fins, are all average teams. The Patriots will have a 41 year old Brady, an entirely new coaching staff under BB. 

8 hours ago, HessStation said:

Cleveland has a little bit of Jags in them with some decent pieces. They could probably trade back a few spots and still get Barkley and the top OT or WR. 

Agreed. But I am not sure Cousins wants to be the guinea pig in that experiment. He'd have to deal with Todd Haley and Josh Gordon's situation. 

DJ Swearinger‏ @JungleBoi_Swagg

Never Saw Any Bullsh*t Like This In My Life!! Idc who i rub wrong because you never sat in a meeting nor put in work with my dawg!! People say they wanna win right but you throw away your best defender!?!? Somebody you can set a standard with?!?! #Defense will win championships!!  

Cousins just makes so much sense in so many ways. You get a know quality top 10 qb who is 29. He has at LEAST 5 solid seasons in the tank. In turn you get to keep your picks and draft an instant playmaker at 6, may even get Barkley, and two solid 2nd round picks. Yes, he is going to cost money but any quality QB is! I don't understand the cheapness here of some Jet fans. You cant say QB is the most important position and then when the opportunity comes to get one says its to much money. Sign Cousins, draft a offensive weapon at 6, make some key OL signings and draft picks, get one known quality WR and the Jets are a contender next year.

Archived