Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know - $30+ million in the cap space you'll save can go a long way to help build a team around a young QB.

True, but you are assuming that young QB pans out. For every Andrew Luck and Wentz, there are plenty of RG3s, Winston's, Marriotta's, Tannehill etc

Personally, I think this is one of the best QB draft classes in a while and I expect at least 2 or 3 of Allen/Rosen/Mayfield//Darnold to pan out, but it's still a risk. In my mind, Cousins is already a franchise QB, has already passed for 4900 yards in the NFL and is young. And it's not like we trading away our 1st for Cousins. We can still land a future pro bowler, who will be cheap and help our cap, at 6. We can also add more cheap talent with our 2 2nd round picks. 

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Let’s stick with attacking points and not posters please. Though I did like your list of players better. LOL

It's my goal to be less of a dick this year. I actually love everyone here. But get caught in the moment.... which got me thinking..

I'm not bad guy. I used to be captain positive around these parts... back when the Jets weren't sodomizing its fanbase with poor decisions... It's been since the Mangold-Revis stretch that we've had something to walk away from cheery about on draft day... it's been since Rex's bravado 8 years ago that we had seasons to be invested in... the level of cynicism and belligerence here is a function of the Jets. 

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

As someone mentioned earlier, don't worry about the ridiculous money we may spend on Cousins.  In a couple of years lesser QB's may be making more than him.  Its just the way the economy works.  

That's not an excuse to be apathetic about overpaying players. 

Very hard for me to see a scenario where Cousins is not a Jet. Denver is the only threat but they would have to cut a lot of players in order to bring him in.

Sign Cousins, stack the o-line as much as possible, draft some playmakers and a pass rusher, and let's go.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Very hard for me to see a scenario where Cousins is not a Jet. Denver is the only threat but they would have to cut a lot of players in order to bring him in.

Sign Cousins, stack the o-line as much as possible, draft some playmakers and a pass rusher, and let's go.

Here's a scenario -- WSH tags and trades him to DEN, ARZ etc. 

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

In fact DEN anything is more attractive than coming here. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It’s a tough call, I get that, but a second round pick not playing a single regular season snap for two years and dressing for only three games is pretty piss poor. I trust them to screw up either scenario and be gone next year if Im being honest. But Macc picking another QB for this team is downright terrifying. 

I totally get your concern, but if Mac can't manage to accidentally pick a much better QB with the 6th overall pick than Hack, then maybe we are cursed. 

14 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

There will be a darkhorse or two, but I agree that if we really want him, we have a very good chance.  

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Because they did it the first year with Fitz until that miserable loss in Buffalo? The next year it fell to crap and sent us on a downwirkd spiral to where we are now. Yet, that has to be considered better than the drafting and utter failure to progress one Christian Hackenburgh. It’s a tough call, I get that, but a second round pick not playing a single regular season snap for two years and dressing for only three games is pretty piss poor. I trust them to screw up either scenario and be gone next year if Im being honest. But Macc picking another QB for this team is downright terrifying. 

You see now, this makes sense to me. If the Cousins crowd would simply lean on this reasoning (Macc can't be trusted to draft a QB) over the "Cousins is superman" angle -- that would have won me over a lot more convincingly. 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Here's a scenario -- WSH tags and trades him to DEN, ARZ etc. 

What's the value for a team like Denver to agree to trade for Cousins then? They aren't even guaranteed to get Cousins. They would have his transition tag rights (they could match any offer) but that wouldn't stop him from signing a deal with the Jets that is structured in Jet's cap friendly way, but possibly unfriendly cap structure for the team that trades for him. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What's the value for a team like Denver to agree to trade for Cousins then? They aren't even guaranteed to get Cousins. They would have his transition tag rights (they could match any offer) but that wouldn't stop him from signing a deal with the Jets that is structured in Jet's cap friendly way, but possibly unfriendly cap structure for the team that trades for him. 

They could franchise him again, then trade him to DEN, who presumably would have an extension deal worked out with Cousins agent. Although we may have the most money, we're still going to be offering a deal that's relative to Stafford's. It's not like we're going to set the bar THAT much higher. DEN knows what they have to pay him. Cousins isn't going to pick the jets over den because of 5 million guaranteed difference. Not when you're talking in the excess of 70-90 guaranteed. 

Not saying it's the "likely" scenario - but the post I quoted said "I can't see anything else playing out, Cousins to Jets"... and that's not accurate. Still lots that could happen. It's clear we're in the mix though. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

They could franchise him again, then trade him to DEN, who presumably would have an extension deal worked out with Cousins agent. Although we may have the most money, we're still going to be offering a deal that's relative to Stafford's. It's not like we're going to set the bar THAT much higher. DEN knows what they have to pay him. Cousins isn't going to pick the jets over den because of 5 million guaranteed difference. Not when you're talking in the excess of 70-90 guaranteed. 

Not saying it's the "likely" scenario - but the post I quoted said "I can't see anything else playing out, Cousins to Jets"... and that's not accurate. Still lots that could happen. It's clear we're in the mix though. 

Agreed. The Jets are in the hunt, but you are correct the Jets aren't a lock to get him. For all we know, Macc doesn't even want him and wants to draft a QB. 

I just don't see a way in which the Skins get anything for Cousins at this point since Cousins will go wherever Cousins wants to go. The Broncos or Jets, by trading for him, can't really force him to play for them unless they franchise tag him which would give him a ludicrous 34 million this year with no guarantee for next year. And transition tags are very tricky, especially for the Broncos who have a delicate Cap situation and would need to craft a contract that is cap friendly for them  and probably couldn't just match whatever deal the Jets put together. 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You see now, this makes sense to me. If the Cousins crowd would simply lean on this reasoning (Macc can't be trusted to draft a QB) over the "Cousins is superman" angle -- that would have won me over a lot more convincingly. 

Show me a post where people are calling him "superman". Bottom line is you don't like Cousins and would never have been won over. Here and on Facebook you are going nuts screaming profanities about how Jets fans don't get it. I think you need a meds adjustment.

3 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Show me a post where people are calling him "superman".

Have you been online in the last 2 months? 

I've already been won over ( or at least accepted) - i just can't handle the degree of "Fck you for not believing in Kirk" posts here OR elsewhere. 

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I totally get your concern, but if Mac can't manage to accidentally pick a much better QB with the 6th overall pick than Hack, then maybe we are cursed. 

100% agreed. He needs to luck into picking the right QB. Not sure it's happening at 6. I'm afraid we have to move up.  Little part of my brainl the Jets have already turned to puss has me thinking Allen is Macc's guy. If so. We are looking at another 3-5 years of dog crap QB play.

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Basically Macc needs to have the wrist ban with the colors Sanchez had when he was our QB.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Have you been online in the last 2 months? 

I've already been won over ( or at least accepted) - i just can't handle the degree of "Fck you for not believing in Kirk" posts here OR elsewhere. 

Cmon nobody is calling him superman.  He's a good QB that will be available, why in the world shouldn't the Jets be interested? The argument just goes back and forth between "is he worth paying him like he's tom brady?!" Which is stupid because that's not how the market works and we all know that. 

If we were sitting at the number 2 spot i'm pretty sure a lot of our views would be different but at 6, it's up in the air of who will be available, if they can make a trade, etc etc. 

I see it as a win win, unless Cousins picks a team outside the top 5. 

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

This post contradicts itself. It has no bearing on us? Ok fine maybe we aren’t interested in Cousins and that’s fine but still to be seen. No way in hell the number one free agent QB on the market breaking lose and coming out doesn’t somehow effect every team that needs one. What he ends up doing will determine the teams that are effected the most. Personally I think we are major players. We will see. 

Contradicts itself? No because I would stay far away from a FA QB like Cousins that will cost  fortune to a team like the Jets that are light years away from being a SB contender.  This team needs to get its sh*t together, fill it’s gaping holes before they commit to the type of money Cousins will command. BTW do you put ketchup and mustard on a hot dog ? ?

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

How the hell does Bridgewater have more upside than Cousins?

Bridgewater was nothing more than a gamemanager before he completely shredded his knee. 

His best season? 3200 yards, 14 TD’s and 9 INT’s in 16 games.

You’ve gotta be sh*ttin me with this.

And Cousins was garbage his first few years before breaking out in 2015. 

11 minutes ago, BigO said:

Contradicts itself? No because I would stay far away from a FA QB like Cousins that will cost  fortune to a team like the Jets that are light years away from being a SB contender.  This team needs to get its sh*t together, fill it’s gaping holes before they commit to the type of money Cousins will command. BTW do you put ketchup and mustard on a hot dog ? ?

I think part of getting Cousins would be having a plan to get the offense playmakers and O line up to snuff. Cousins would certainly want to know how they plan to do that before committing. 

Yes. Mustard, ketchup and chopped white onions. 

The best thing about this is that no one is talking about that boring ass Superbowl game that happens Sunday.  No one gives a sh-t outside of Philadelphia.

F that game..  F Brady..  F Belichick.. F Kraft..  F a Pappa Doc..  F a trailer

42 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think part of getting Cousins would be having a plan to get the offense playmakers and O line up to snuff. Cousins would certainly want to know how they plan to do that before committing. 

Yes. Mustard, ketchup and chopped white onions. 

My wife puts ketchup on hot dogs. She's a chick though. Loves watching This is Us and baby videos.

So you've got that going for you.

Archived