Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

57 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think part of getting Cousins would be having a plan to get the offense playmakers and O line up to snuff. Cousins would certainly want to know how they plan to do that before committing. 

Yes. Mustard, ketchup and chopped white onions. 

Hmmm ok I’ll try it but I don’t think Cousins bites.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I literally just realized the corner Washington sent with that draft pick was Kendall Fuller..rates #9 out of all cornerbacks and graded out by PFF with a 90.0 ... that’s an elite grading and he is only 23.

WOW Washington is stupid.

Its an absolutely horrendous job completed by a horrendous duo of Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder who have been doing stuff like this for eternity.  And its another example of a good franchise like KC absolutely fleecing a team for a player at a position they need, while freeing up $17 million of cap space.

As for the Browns - there is ZERO chance Cousins goes to the Browns.  We may have had a rough few years as Jet fans, but the stink of that organization and the uncertainity around Hugh is going to result in a hard pass by Cousins.  Say what you want about Bowles, but if we improve and he still shows the ineptitude he has the past 3 years, this could be an easy transition for Cousins to get Bates into the HC spot, Dennison as OC and bring in a veteran DC - and Cousins is set system wise going forward.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Its an absolutely horrendous job completed by a horrendous duo of Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder who have been doing stuff like this for eternity.  And its another example of a good franchise like KC absolutely fleecing a team for a player at a position they need, while freeing up $17 million of cap space.

As for the Browns - there is ZERO chance Cousins goes to the Browns.  We may have had a rough few years as Jet fans, but the stink of that organization and the uncertainity around Hugh is going to result in a hard pass by Cousins.  Say what you want about Bowles, but if we improve and he still shows the ineptitude he has the past 3 years, this could be an easy transition for Cousins to get Bates into the HC spot, Dennison as OC and bring in a veteran DC - and Cousins is set system wise going forward.

You massively over value bowles he stinks as bad as hugh jackson.  Cleveland has as much cap money as us and WAY better draft assets.

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well the Browns tried to trade for Alex Smith so they might be in the cousins 'sweepstakes' now.

They might be. Which means that if they do get him. 1 & 4 go up for grabs.

The big negative for the Browns is the fact that they've won one game in 2 years. It's not a good optic. Plus Haley and COusins may clash

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think that's wrong - they have more than enough cap space to out bid a lot of people if all Kirk wants is money.  And that talks.

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You massively over value bowles he stinks as bad as hugh jackson.  Cleveland has as much cap money as us and WAY better draft assets.

Bowles absolutely stinks as much as Hugh, but we have an OC who Cousins has already gone on record as saying he likes, and who could easily be promoted to HC if Cousins and the offense is successful.

Cap space doesnt matter - both the Jets and Cleveland can offer the same about of money and Cousins is going to value system and chance of winning as much as he will the money, thats why im discounting cleveland

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Bowles absolutely stinks as much as Hugh, but we have an OC who Cousins has already gone on record as saying he likes, and who could easily be promoted to HC if Cousins and the offense is successful.

Cap space doesnt matter - both the Jets and Cleveland can offer the same about of money and Cousins is going to value system and chance of winning as much as he will the money, thats why im discounting cleveland

he's not going to cleveland, plus why would cleveland want to tie up 1/4 of its cap with a qb when they can draft one and have him on the cheap?  the jets are the team that's afraid to draft a qb, they're the ones going to overpay.  the browns are going to try to develop a qb, again, not the jets.  mccagnan will take a guard or cb with that 6th pick.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

he's not going to cleveland, plus why would cleveland want to tie up 1/4 of its cap with a qb when they can draft one and have him on the cheap?  the jets are the team that's afraid to draft a qb, they're the ones going to overpay.  the browns are going to try to develop a qb, again, not the jets.  mccagnan will take a guard or cb with that 6th pick.

Cleveland tried to trade for Alex smith, and Washington seems to have made the better offer.  If Cleve wanted to just go the young QB route they would not have tried to make that trade.  I agree that the Jets are a more likely destination than Cleveland but I would not count them out.

Bit's point stands; in Week#17 Cousins looked like a guy who did not GAF. At a loss how a pile of $ changes that; its; the same guy. Would be happy to be wrong if this comes to pass, but would rather draft a young guy and watch him build something. 

And admit a big part of this is cannot trust the Johnsons, Maccagnan nor Bowles with a coffee order. But Cousins is going to get the big ass pile of money anyway. Which means he is not going to want to sign with this collection of rank incompetence. Denver, Minny and Buffalo are all better situations. May be even the Jags bite. Could be the jets wind up doing the right thing, picking a good young QB,after the other options are cut off. 

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Cleveland tried to trade for Alex smith, and Washington seems to have made the better offer.  If Cleve wanted to just go the young QB route they would not have tried to make that trade.  I agree that the Jets are a more likely destination than Cleveland but I would not count them out.

I think they want to take Allen and let him sit for 2-3 years and Alex Smith would have been perfect for that. Signing Kirk really is a completely different route, that says they are committed to him. They could have done that first but they obviously tried to trade for Smith. I don't think Cleveland is really in play because of what the browns want to do.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

cleveland could draft josh allen and play alex smith for a year.  i'm guessing that's what their plan is (was).

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think they want to take Allen and let him sit for 2-3 years and Alex Smith would have been perfect for that. Signing Kirk really is a completely different route, that says they are committed to him. They could have done that first but they obviously tried to trade for Smith. I don't think Cleveland is really in play because of what the browns want to do.

If that's the case, there are 3 QBs leaving MIN that could all fit the bill as a bridge for Allen.  I think one may land in ARI as well.  My lord this draft is shaping up to be more interesting than usual.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He was barely on the damn field before 2015.

RGIII ring any bells?

Are you being this daft on purpose or did you eat paint chips as a kid?

I’m glad you did this because it gives me the right to respond back a certain way. You do realize that Shanahan wanted Kirk to be the starter but his play was so bad that they had to play a gimping and inconsistent RG III? I used to follow that situation up there. In his 3rd year he was so bad that he got benched for Colt McCoy and Skins fans couldn’t wait for RG III to return. Remember the game where Kirk threw all those interceptions against the Giants? He didn’t turn things around until his 4th season. 

7 minutes ago, August said:

I’m glad you did this because it gives me the right to respond back a certain way. You do realize that Shanahan wanted Kirk to be the starter but his play was so bad that they had to play a gimping and inconsistent RG III? I used to follow that situation up there. In his 3rd year he was so bad that he got benched for Colt McCoy and Skins fans couldn’t wait for RG III to return. Remember the game where Kirk threw all those interceptions against the Giants? He didn’t turn things around until his 4th season. 

You realize that if we draft a QB, no matter who it is, they will likely perform the exact same way for 3 years right?

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

You realize that if we draft a QB, no matter who it is, they will likely perform the exact same way for 3 years right?

And I’m okay with inconsistent play as long as the quarterback shows steady incremental improvement every season until a break out by year 3/4. 

Via Washington Post

Though none of the principals will comment publicly on the machinations of the deal, it was the result of intense bargaining. The Redskins were competing against two to five other NFL teams to land Smith — essentially the same teams that are eyeing Cousins once he becomes a free agent — according to two people with knowledge of the discussions. Giving up Fuller is not believed to have been part of the Redskins' opening offer. According to one person familiar with the process, the Redskins had to strengthen their offer to clinch the deal.

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

You and disagree strongly on this. If his defense held up Cousins beats the Saints in New Orleans. He beat Seattle in Seattle on the last drive of the game in freezing rain. 2 of the toughest places to play. 

The NY Jets haven't had a road victory against a tough opponent for years. How any Jet fan wouldn't want a competent QB, and still have the money to surround Kirk with offensive weapons. Jets sign Cousins that alone could be the reason a couple of free agents join the Jets other than getting paid well.

If the Jets can sign Kirk without giving up a draft pick even better. 3 picks in the top 72! Jets could come out of this draft with a Stud pass rusher, RB, olineman. 

Its not far fetched the Jets could sign Jarvis Landry, Jensen, Burton, Fuller. Draft Chubb or Nelson, Barkley? Or Michel or Jones. Maybe Lauletta to groom behind Kirk. How much better would we be with an offense & a defense with a new pass rusher, Fuller? Resign Clairborne with Adams & Maye in their 2nd year with experience & confidence? 

I'll be here for you to criticize if we sign Cousins & it fails. I don't believe it will fail, in fact when you look at the landscape of the AFC, 2018 will be WIDE OPEN! KC goes to a novice, the Raiders cap is busting, Denvers window is closing, Houston seems to never stay healthy, Titans, Bill, Fins, are all average teams. The Patriots will have a 41 year old Brady, an entirely new coaching staff under BB. 

I hope you're right and I'd love to be wrong on this one.

I'm just not feeling him.  What I saw in Washington were a bunch of empty stats and lousy losses.

SAR I

20 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Not yet, I thinks it could be worth a mid round pick to avoid the bidding war and make Washington even for the Smith deal

So you want to send a 3rd to the Skins for a 1 month rental, and he'll still be a FA in March?

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

So you want to send a 3rd to the Skins for a 1 month rental, and he'll still be a FA in March?

Not really, the idea was for Mac to sign Cousins to a long term deal as part of the trade and the 3rd round pick would avoid the bidding war (savings some cash and closing the deal)

20 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Just saying, the decision makers in Washington are knuckleheads. They bungled their relationship with Cousins, and ended up with Alex Smith, who Andy Reid obviously didnt think was good enough. 

the whole world saw that Alex Smith wasn't very good.  On top of the financial commitment to Smith, to invest FIVE YEARS of your fanbase's lives to watching him is just obscene.  Also, to throw in a 3rd round pick to KC?  The best analogy for that is Snyder slurping Reid's last drop as he shakes it out. 

20 hours ago, C Mart said:

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

1/30/18, 10:58 PM

In Alex Smith trade, Chiefs will receive third-round pick And CB Kendall Fuller, per @FieldYates. So there’s the trade.

Kendall Fuller, film evaluation by Chief's fan:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/31/16954286/kendall-fuller-film-review-how-could-the-redskins-trade-this-guy

a 3rd round pick and Fuller?  geez.  Fuller looks good.  Was a 3rd rounder himself.

20 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It's clear to me that most people don't really get it. 

No.  Its clear to everyone that when someone doesn't agree with you, you repeat yourself incessantly. Trust me.  Everyone "gets" your position.  It's not that complex.

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

Nope.  Not going to happen.  Mccagnan isn't going full O'Donnell, no way.  Also...

Miami
Buffalo
Denver
Minnesota
Jacksonville

All better destinations than Florham Park.  Not to mention Indianapolis (if Smith got that money, what would Luck be worth?) or even Pittsburgh (same for Roethlisberger even on his last legs).

Kirk Cousins will not come to New York.  This talk is ludicrous.

SAR I

You can cross Jax off the list.  They pretty much said today that they are sticking with Bortles for 2018. Reported by Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller this afternoon on NFL Network.

20 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It's bigger than Washington. Teams don't let stud QBs go in free agency. Obviously they could be wrong about him, but I don't think they think he is a stud QB and I think we should be very wary of making him the highest QB in the league.

It would be SO Jetsy to sign cousins to a mega deal and then go 8-8 for the next 4 years. I can already feel it. 

It would be even more Jetsy to draft another QB at 6, fail to do anything to develop him under the Bowles regime, not allow him to play and basically retard his career.  

More likely than your scenario!

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

I've seen Kirk Cousins on the New York Jets already.  The Washington Redskins are the Jets in maroon uniforms.  It ends out of the playoffs.

SAR I

No, you haven't and no, they are not.  Playoffs remains to be determined.  Each is a false analogy SAR. Cousins would be the best QB on this team since Testaverde.   

20 hours ago, C Mart said:

Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot)

1/30/18, 10:08 PM

The #Browns tried to trade for #Chiefs QB Alex Smith, sources tell cleveland.com, but he's going to the #Redskins instead per @TerezPaylor cleveland.com/browns/index.s…

If this is true, it says a lot about how the browns view the draft prospects.  With the #1 and #4 pick, they were trying to trade for Alex Smith?  Really?  Either that is a false claim or the Browns think the draft class blows.

Browns offered Chiefs one of their 2nd-round picks for Alex Smith

1/31/2018 7:08:05 PM

The Browns offered one of their three second-round picks for Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, but weren't prepared to sign him to the blockbuster extension that the Redskins did, a league source told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The Plain Dealer first reported on Tuesday night that the Browns tried to trade for Smith, and ESPN.com's Pat McManamon first reported Wednesday that they offered one of the seconds.

The Browns' first two second-rounders are prime real estate in this deep draft: The Browns own the No. 33 and No. 35 picks. The team also has the Eagles' pick, which will be either No. 63 or 64 depending on if they win the Super Bowl on Sunday.

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If this is true, it says a lot about how the browns view the draft prospects.  With the #1 and #4 pick, they were trying to trade for Alex Smith?  Really?  Either that is a false claim or the Browns think the draft class blows.

IMO. It means they want a surer thing at QB than a drafted QB. Drafted QB will take time and go through growing pains. 

44 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It would be even more Jetsy to draft another QB at 6, fail to do anything to develop him under the Bowles regime, not allow him to play and basically retard his career.  

More likely than your scenario!

Tbh, I could see either easily happening. 

54 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No.  Its clear to everyone that when someone doesn't agree with you, you repeat yourself incessantly. Trust me.  Everyone "gets" your position.  It's not that complex.

You're not really adding anything to the discussion here.

I explained, rather meticulously, exactly what I was referring to in subsequent posts.

Move along. 

Archived