Alex Smith to Redskins [MERGED]

Lith

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

IMO. It means they want a surer thing at QB than a drafted QB. Drafted QB will take time and go through growing pains. 

This is the key question:

Why should the Jets essentially gives Bowles and Mac another three years, after this draft class, to see if they picked the "right" QB when they were the ones who have skipped over quality QBs already in previous drafts?

Hence I think that Mac wants Cousins or would have liked an Alex Smith in here to give them some cover....

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Larz said:

Gotta think Washington is going to try to tag and trade cousins now 

Cousins is going to be very expensive 

13 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That would be stupid. They would have no leverage

I don't think they will have the cap room.  They would need to have the cap room for Cousin's tag price PLUS the cap room for Smith's 2018 salary and any amortized bonus in the new deal simultaneously.  I guess it's possible, but certainly not practical.  Probably would require manipulating other players' deals.

13 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Not true at all. What if the draft played out like this.

1. Cleveland - Darnold

2. Giants - Rosen

3. Indy - Trades out with Arizona, Buffalo or someone other than us and takes Allen

4. Cleveland -  Barkley

5. Denver - They signed Cousins so this pick becomes attractive for a trade infront of the Jets. Again, it could be any of 3-4 teams. This team takes Baker Mayfield

So if we don't sign Cousins we almost certainly will have to trade up or could very possibly be left without Cousins or any of the top 4 QBs. In turn would have to settle on one of the Minnesota QBs.

So you think a team trades up for baker mayfield ? If he busts or does a line off a bust, that gm is a goner. It is must different just taking him when he falls in your lap at 15, Trade very valuable drafts pick to go get him is MUCH different 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

You see now, this makes sense to me. If the Cousins crowd would simply lean on this reasoning (Macc can't be trusted to draft a QB) over the "Cousins is superman" angle -- that would have won me over a lot more convincingly. 

thats my only reason personally hoping they get him... because the Jets WILL NOT pick the right QB in the draft... IF they even pick one. We are picking the Minkah CB, guaranteed. So Cousins IMO is THE only option outside of more uninspiring garbage like McCown. I also firmly belive the Jets will be outbid by pennies, even tho they can easily afford to get over the edge. This organization is completely incompetent maybe even WORSE than Washington. I have ZERO faith in them. Just the sad reality. 

3 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

thats my only reason personally hoping they get him... because the Jets WILL NOT pick the right QB in the draft... IF they even pick one. We are picking the Minkah CB, guaranteed. So Cousins IMO is THE only option outside of more uninspiring garbage like McCown. I also firmly belive the Jets will be outbid by pennies, even tho they can easily afford to get over the edge. This organization is completely incompetent maybe even WORSE than Washington. I have ZERO faith in them. Just the sad reality. 

They’re not picking Minkah. It’s okay to be optimistic. Good things are happening my friend. Embrace it and enjoy this off-season when we get our future qb. It’s gonna be great. 

18 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

Denver signs Cousins and drafts the Minkah CB Mac n Bowls want right before them... Jets panic and pick whatever TE is there at 6 

Oh god, this could happen. Broncos cut Talib so they can sign Cousins. Jets miss out on all the free agent CBs, Darnold & Rosen, Chubb, Barkley, Minkah all gone, Jets draft Baker, he goes on a cocaine binge that night & pulls a Len Bias. 

Jets sign Sam Bradford, he pulls up lame in opener. 3rd rounder, Kyle Lauletta makes a Brady like debut and carries the Jets to 10 straight AFC east division championships. 

Is that my alarm...oh f*ck I'm late for work.

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

You can cross Jax off the list.  They pretty much said today that they are sticking with Bortles for 2018. Reported by Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller this afternoon on NFL Network.

I don’t see the jags moving on from Bortles either.  The only move was maybe trading for Eli but he’s a Giant next season

On 1/31/2018 at 1:01 AM, Tony MaC said:

I think Minny tags Case and maybe even keeps Teddy around.

Arizona has a tight cap situation.

Cleveland... well, they aren't tight on space but they have the number one and four overall picks, how much are they gonna commit to Kirk?

No way the Vikings tag Keenum. 

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

Browns offered Chiefs one of their 2nd-round picks for Alex Smith

1/31/2018 7:08:05 PM

The Browns offered one of their three second-round picks for Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, but weren't prepared to sign him to the blockbuster extension that the Redskins did, a league source told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The Plain Dealer first reported on Tuesday night that the Browns tried to trade for Smith, and ESPN.com's Pat McManamon first reported Wednesday that they offered one of the seconds.

The Browns' first two second-rounders are prime real estate in this deep draft: The Browns own the No. 33 and No. 35 picks. The team also has the Eagles' pick, which will be either No. 63 or 64 depending on if they win the Super Bowl on Sunday.

@Dcat

My guess is that they wanted Smith as a bridge to (and/or insurance against) the QB they plan to take in the first. Could be a clear sign that they really do like Allen, something of a project, the best. 

Now if they get into the heavy bidding for Cousins, that'll tell a different story. 

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

If this is true, it says a lot about how the browns view the draft prospects.  With the #1 and #4 pick, they were trying to trade for Alex Smith?  Really?  Either that is a false claim or the Browns think the draft class blows.

I think Alex Smith was looked at as a bridge to the QB taken at 1 rather than the answer in Washington. I think Cleveland is very much taking a QB at 1.

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

IMO. It means they want a surer thing at QB than a drafted QB. Drafted QB will take time and go through growing pains. 

I think the Browns must be thinking that after 1-35 they can’t claim rebuilding anymore.  They need to put a decent product on the field this year.  Note that they did not want to extend Smith-he was a bridge to the drafted QB.  As opposed to the Jets cutting Harris and Decker at the last minute at the direction of the Johnsons, the Chiefs apparently look a lower second round draft pick so that Smith would go to a team that gave him a raise/extended him.  That was pretty classy, actually.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the Browns must be thinking that after 1-35 they can’t claim rebuilding anymore.  They need to put a decent product on the field this year.  Note that they did not want to extend Smith-he was a bridge to the drafted QB.  As opposed to the Jets cutting Harris and Decker at the last minute at the direction of the Johnsons, the Chiefs apparently look a lower second round draft pick so that Smith would go to a team that gave him a raise/extended him.  That was pretty classy, actually.

Darnold with a better team makes them competitive next season

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

Chiefs took a 3rd round pick and a 22 year old CB (a position of need) who graded out as the #6 CB in the league. That is why he didn't go to Cleveland.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:28 AM, C Mart said:

DJ Swearinger‏ @JungleBoi_Swagg

Never Saw Any Bullsh*t Like This In My Life!! Idc who i rub wrong because you never sat in a meeting nor put in work with my dawg!! People say they wanna win right but you throw away your best defender!?!? Somebody you can set a standard with?!?! #Defense will win championships!!  

I don't blame him and Foreskin fans being pissed about every single aspect of the deal. Losing a franchise QB, losing a very good slot DB, losing an additional 3rd round pick and watching an average game manager under center for the next 5 years.  Smith had his best season once KC put weapons around him like Hunt, Hill and of course hes always had Kelce.  How bad he will be with no running game and pitiful WRs.  Yow. Jets fans complain all you want, but we are NOT Washington or Cleveland.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I don't blame him and Foreskin fans being pissed about every single aspect of the deal. Losing a franchise QB, losing a very good slot DB, losing an additional 3rd round pick and watching an average game manager under center for the next 5 years.  Smith had his best season once KC put weapons around him like Hunt, Hill and of course hes always had Kelce.  How bad he will be with no running game and pitiful WRs.  Yow. Jets fans complain all you want, but we are NOT Washington or Cleveland.  

Skrine looked good in Cleveland playing that slot spot B4 Macc signed him to a big contract. If a CB is playing the slot it's because he can't play the #2 spot. Norman was hurt a lot. 

On 1/31/2018 at 11:56 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you could sign Cousins and Landry (or Robinson) and then draft Barkley the offense would go from pathetic to top 10 overnight. Accumulating picks is nice, but not at the expense of passing on elite players. 

Plus, we still have 2 second round picks, a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. 

If the BPA is Nelson, then I would agree on trading down because you can't waste a high pick on Guard, no matter how good he is projected to become. 

You have a point. But RB is tricky. I'm not sure Barkley would be an elite NFL RB even though he is an elite college RB. The Jets could still get a stellar RB in Rd. 2 and add some nice draft picks for O-line as well. I also believe that OGs can be just as important as the rest of the O-line positions. And although you may not want to draft one 6th overall, I'm def not against taking one in Rd. 1. Again, if we have a ton of picks to work with, it gives us that luxury. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

@Dcat

My guess is that they wanted Smith as a bridge to (and/or insurance against) the QB they plan to take in the first. Could be a clear sign that they really do like Allen, something of a project, the best. 

Now if they get into the heavy bidding for Cousins, that'll tell a different story. 

maybe but I doubt it.  What team gives up a 2nd round pick to acquire a one-season bridge until the rookie QB gets ready?  Well, maybe the Browns.  But I seriously doubt it.

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think Alex Smith was looked at as a bridge to the QB taken at 1 rather than the answer in Washington. I think Cleveland is very much taking a QB at 1.

so they would sacrifice a 2nd round pick just to have a one-year bridge until their QB pick is ready?  Sorry, but they could use Kizer as that one year bridge.  They wouldn't have needed to get Smith for that and lose a 2nd rounder.  I don't buy it.  I think they would have extended him, but not for 5 years and not for $71 mill guaranteed.  They can easily start Kizer while waiting for their new QB to get ready. 

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

so they would sacrifice a 2nd round pick just to have a one-year bridge until their QB pick is ready?  Sorry, but they could use Kizer as that one year bridge.  They wouldn't have needed to get Smith for that and lose a 2nd rounder.  I don't buy it.  I think they would have extended him, but not for 5 years and not for $71 mill guaranteed.  They can easily start Kizer while waiting for their new QB to get ready. 

They offered the last pick in the 2nd round for a QB with an $18M contract and the ability to franchise him after this year. They have 5 picks in the top 2 rounds with 55 players under contract already for next season. Dorsey was the GM of KC when Smith was traded there. The Browns are rumored to want Josh Allen who many believe should sit for that year or 2. Kizer has shown an inability to get the job done. If you trade for Smith on what was a relatively cheap deal you automatically start building a winning culture while getting the best stop gap available to grade your current roster before needing to shell out big money to anyone. It's far easier to know you have good players with a vet who knows what he's doing than it is with a rookie who may be struggling.

So yes I firmly believe that they tried to trade a 2nd round pick for a 1-2 year rental.

Archived