I hate to be bear of bad news

Jetsplayer21

But do you think wash still tags cousins knowing there will be a bidding war between at least 2 desperate teams out there ? ( jets and broncos). They clearly will have enough to slap the tag on cousins. But they clearly lose a major bargaining chip after trading for smith. But why not take advantage of desperate jets and broncos who are both drooling over him ? What would it cost now ?  Do jets and broncos bid against themselves ?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omg this is ridiculous. They just handed Alex Smith 4 years 71m guaranteed with 94m total. There is zero chance they can now tag Cousins. If they franchise tag him it will cost 34.5m against the books on top of Alex Smith, which is going to be at least 22m. 56-57m will be tied up in two players until they could get a deal done. Their cap space before Smith/Cousins last I saw was 52m so they’d have to cut players and sit idle during FA until a team coughed up a pick.....all for what a 3rd rounder at best??

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

They lose leverage with teams by tagging him. All GM’s know they can’t keep him at that price so Washington puts itself under the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We tagged Abe with zero intent of resigning him in 2006 and got a first round pick.  That said the Alex Smith trade and subsequent mind boggling contract extension make it much less likely the Dumbskins do it

We tagged Abe with zero intent of resigning him in 2006 and got a first round pick.  That said the Alex Smith trade and subsequent mind boggling contract extension make it much less likely the Dumbskins do it

You just answered your own example. We got a 1st for Abe because while it was clear we were likely not keeping him, we had the leverage to do so. We weren’t breaking our back against the cap to tag him. Skins will literally need to cut players to get under the cap to tag Cousins with the Smith contract on the books. This also means that for every day that goes by in FA that they don’t find a trade suitor, they literally can’t sign anyone in FA. No team is trading a thing for him without a long term deal in place so WAS literally has to sit on their hands while finding a suitor AND while that suitor negotiates a deal with Cousins. It handcuffs the team substantially and for what??? A 3rd round pick? No ones ponying a 1st for Cousins AND breaking the back in a sign and trade.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

In theory, yes.  IF they would have done it before Alex Smith, yes.

But now, teams know they are not resigning him, and there is NO way they can risk another team not signing him away.  What if they tag him, and nobody touches him?  They then go into the season paying two starting QB's over $50 million.  Not to mention the number of players they would have to cut to get under the cap for tying up a 1/3 of the salary cap in two players. That just is not going to happen

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

But do you think wash still tags cousins knowing there will be a bidding war between at least 2 desperate teams out there ? ( jets and broncos). They clearly will have enough to slap the tag on cousins. But they clearly lose a major bargaining chip after trading for smith. But why not take advantage of desperate jets and broncos who are both drooling over him ? What would it cost now ?  Do jets and broncos bid against themselves ?

bearer 

Sporttrac shows Skins with 35 million in cap space(top 51) with Alex Smith on roster meaning if they tagged Cousins they would have zero room to do anything in free agency until they moved Cousins, so any team with interest would simply have to wait them out.

1 minute ago, 20andOut said:

Sporttrac shows Skins with 35 million in cap space(top 51) with Alex Smith on roster meaning if they tagged Cousins they would have zero room to do anything in free agency until they moved Cousins, so any team with interest would simply have to wait them out.

Yes but a team would be trading because they don't want him to look at other teams in Free Agency. If Kirk has a few teams on his list and none are necessarily higher than one another I could see a trade. If Kirk genuinely wants to test Free Agency then there is no way they Tag him.

Why would Cousins agree to be traded at this point?  He has all of the leverage to negotiate with anyone he wants to and to pit teams against each other in a bidding war.  And if he intends to sign with a specific team, why weaken them by taking away a draft pick when he can just wait things out and sign after he is cut.  Makes no sense at all.  I think you are a bear of bad logic.

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Why would Cousins agree to be traded at this point?  He has all of the leverage to negotiate with anyone he wants to and to pit teams against each other in a bidding war.  And if he intends to sign with a specific team, why weaken them by taking away a draft pick when he can just wait things out and sign after he is cut.  Makes no sense at all.  I think you are a bear of bad logic.

How many ******* bears are there???

Archived