I hate to be bear of bad news

Jetsplayer21

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, jgb said:

My GF (non-native English speaker) grew up believing Another Brick in the Wall contained the line: "No dogs or cats are in the classroom."

I had a GF who thought the Pearl Jam lyric “glorified version of a pellet gun” was actually “glorified virgin on a pelican”, no joke.

15 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

In theory, yes.  IF they would have done it before Alex Smith, yes.

But now, teams know they are not resigning him, and there is NO way they can risk another team not signing him away.  What if they tag him, and nobody touches him?  They then go into the season paying two starting QB's over $50 million.  Not to mention the number of players they would have to cut to get under the cap for tying up a 1/3 of the salary cap in two players. That just is not going to happen

Then worst case scenario they can rescind the tag.

They had ~$60m in cap space before the Alex Smith trade (and also before cutting anyone of their own). They can certainly carry Cousins for a few days or maybe even a week or so, or until he gets in the way of signing others.

There are no official team activities in late Feb-early March, so they don’t have to worry about him getting injured and then getting stuck with him for the season. 

It might be worth it to a team interested in Cousins since they might not have to be the highest bidder; they could be the 2nd highest bidder for Cousins (though it’d have to be close), and be the highest bidder to compensate Washington in draft pick(s).

If they can pry a pick off someone, it could be worth it for them. Forget the supposed compensatory pick next year; they only get that if they stay away from UFAs themselves, and if they’re going to do that then the concern over cap space in March is also nothing. If they badly need the (temporary) cap space, then there’s a good chance they’re going to lose that 2019 3rd round comp pick anyway.

This is all just theorizing, as I highly doubt they tag him. I think - at least under the prior CBA - there used to be a rule that the team couldn’t just tag someone purely to trade him; that there had to be a realistic possibility of keeping the player (and that’d be a hard sell right after they traded for Alex Smith and gave him a long extension). Think it came up when NE was tagging Cassell, but again, that was under the prior CBA and they could rationalize it due to Brady’s injury.

20 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Omg this is ridiculous. They just handed Alex Smith 4 years 71m guaranteed with 94m total. There is zero chance they can now tag Cousins. If they franchise tag him it will cost 34.5m against the books on top of Alex Smith, which is going to be at least 22m. 56-57m will be tied up in two players until they could get a deal done. Their cap space before Smith/Cousins last I saw was 52m so they’d have to cut players and sit idle during FA until a team coughed up a pick.....all for what a 3rd rounder at best??

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So it’s your opinion, if the skins were to tag cousins. The jets don’t pursue and offer skins anything? You really believe that? Lol

19 hours ago, Snell41 said:

You just answered your own example. We got a 1st for Abe because while it was clear we were likely not keeping him, we had the leverage to do so. We weren’t breaking our back against the cap to tag him. Skins will literally need to cut players to get under the cap to tag Cousins with the Smith contract on the books. This also means that for every day that goes by in FA that they don’t find a trade suitor, they literally can’t sign anyone in FA. No team is trading a thing for him without a long term deal in place so WAS literally has to sit on their hands while finding a suitor AND while that suitor negotiates a deal with Cousins. It handcuffs the team substantially and for what??? A 3rd round pick? No ones ponying a 1st for Cousins AND breaking the back in a sign and trade.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That is just what they did with Alex Smith. Agreed to trade only if smith agreed to extension. So ofcourse a team would do that with cousins as well.. let’s try to think reasonable and impartial here. Sure we don’t want to “pay to pay “cousins. But you have atleast 2 teams absolutely drooling over him. Why not have them bid against eachother if you are the skins ?

19 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

In theory, yes.  IF they would have done it before Alex Smith, yes.

But now, teams know they are not resigning him, and there is NO way they can risk another team not signing him away.  What if they tag him, and nobody touches him?  They then go into the season paying two starting QB's over $50 million.  Not to mention the number of players they would have to cut to get under the cap for tying up a 1/3 of the salary cap in two players. That just is not going to happen

I understand that point. But someone just traded a 3rd rounder for Alex Smith. Who had 1 yr left on his contract. A “tag “ would put cousins in same exact scenario. A team would demand cousins agree to extension just like skins did with Smith. Smith would have gotten more if he was a outright FA. Just like cousins would. The jets or Denver would get a MUCH better deal with trading for cousins as opposed if he was a FA.. 

here is where your point fails. Skins say to jets ” would you give us 4th rounder for cousins ?” Of course they would say deal. Skins would then call Denver , “jets offered ya a 4th rounder, can you do better ? “  see this pattern ?

18 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Sporttrac shows Skins with 35 million in cap space(top 51) with Alex Smith on roster meaning if they tagged Cousins they would have zero room to do anything in free agency until they moved Cousins, so any team with interest would simply have to wait them out.

Ya I’m sure they don’t have a Powell or carpenter on their roster they were thinking of dumping anyway lol. So if your wouldn’t immediately jump on cousins trade offer if skins said would you give us 6th rounder ? 

18 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Cousins will be a free agent. No question. The big question is how much will he cost? I think the floor has been set with Alex Smith getting $23 Million per. The scary question is how high is the cieling?

Wrong. Alex Smith had VERY little room to negotiate. As will cousins if he is tagged. Here is what skins would do. “ we are trading Kirk cousins to the broncos for a 6th rounder.” Desperate jets  say “ I”ll give you a 5th !” Broncos can you beat it ?

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

Why would Cousins agree to be traded at this point?  He has all of the leverage to negotiate with anyone he wants to and to pit teams against each other in a bidding war.  And if he intends to sign with a specific team, why weaken them by taking away a draft pick when he can just wait things out and sign after he is cut.  Makes no sense at all.  I think you are a bear of bad logic.

So if skins decide to play hardball, tag him and make him ride bench for few weeks into season. Will he not beg for a trade then ? Or just sit on bench knowing his value will go to sh*t riding the bench for a yr. in meantime team he wanted to go to moved on with another qb. Use your head kid.

On 1/31/2018 at 5:05 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Bad News Bears?

LOL.. it’s not “bear of bad news” it’s “Bearer Of Bad News.” 

This guy is so funny unintentionally.

This could be the continuing evolution of the language though. Yesterday in a grocery store I saw an aisle labelled "can goods" instead of "canned goods." And it's been forever it seems since reference has been made to "teenage persons" instead of "teenaged persons." And let's not even start on "judgement" instead of "judgment."

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So if skins decide to play hardball, tag him and make him ride bench for few weeks into season. Will he not beg for a trade then ? Or just sit on bench knowing his value will go to sh*t riding the bench for a yr. in meantime team he wanted to go to moved on with another qb. Use your head kid.

They CANNOT do this! Right now with Smith on the books and Cousins off they have $36M in cap space according to sport trac. If they tag Cousins they would then have less than 1M in space not even enough to sign a draft pick. A total of over $55M in cap space dedicated to the  QB position once you include backup Colt McCoy. They would be screwing their entire offseason to, in your scenario pick up a 5th or 6th rounder. Aditionally, nobody is trading for an unsigned tagged player. It would have to be a sign and trade which makes it a lot more complicated.

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

3So if skins decide to play hardball, tag him and make him ride bench for few weeks into season. Will he not beg for a trade then ? Or just sit on bench knowing his value will go to sh*t riding the bench for a yr. in meantime team he wanted to go to moved on with another qb. Use your head kid.

Pro tip: if you are going to try to be condescending, it helps if you have an idea of what you are talking about. 

No team is going to waste over $34MM of cap space in this situation just to be dicks.  The lesser tags don't work because they can't match any realistic offer so only the exclusive tag helps them.  Not to mention what it would do to morale on the team.  Think about the first time Alex Smith throws a pick and everyone is looking over at Kirk Cousins on the bench.  Even if they were to tag him initially it would be a hollow bluff as they'll have to withdraw it before the season starts.  Since the only team probably dumb enough to fall for that is WAS itself, the plan doesn't really work.

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I understand that point. But someone just traded a 3rd rounder for Alex Smith. Who had 1 yr left on his contract. A “tag “ would put cousins in same exact scenario. A team would demand cousins agree to extension just like skins did with Smith. Smith would have gotten more if he was a outright FA. Just like cousins would. The jets or Denver would get a MUCH better deal with trading for cousins as opposed if he was a FA.. 

here is where your point fails. Skins say to jets ” would you give us 4th rounder for cousins ?” Of course they would say deal. Skins would then call Denver , “jets offered ya a 4th rounder, can you do better ? “  see this pattern ?

All fair points.  But caveat emptor......You wanna make DAMN sure you can sign him long term.

I would LOVE to see a guy developed and drafted at six.  BUT.....getting Cousins could open up opportunities to trade down (if possible), collect picks and assets.  Trouble is, you could trade down all you want and get Rickey Williams-like returns for your investment; if you can't find talent with all those picks, its a moot point. 

17 hours ago, The Crusher said:

No, my wife thought I should keep it for my daughters wedding this June.  In case it rains. fairfield-tent-party-rental-203-533-4698

Outdoor weddings are great, but you do have to get lucky with the weather.  The last two weddings i went to, niece and then nephew were just great both outdoor and a bit less formal than many weddings i went to.

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Outdoor weddings are great, but you do have to get lucky with the weather.  The last two weddings i went to, niece and then nephew were just great both outdoor and a bit less formal than many weddings i went to.

This is on the shore in Annapolis and at a place  that does nothing but weddings. Hopefully they’ve have a contingency plan for rain.  Early June so hoping it will be ok. 

On 1/31/2018 at 3:36 AM, Jetsplayer21 said:

But do you think wash still tags cousins knowing there will be a bidding war between at least 2 desperate teams out there ? ( jets and broncos). They clearly will have enough to slap the tag on cousins. But they clearly lose a major bargaining chip after trading for smith. But why not take advantage of desperate jets and broncos who are both drooling over him ? What would it cost now ?  Do jets and broncos bid against themselves ?

Senorita Gata has offered to give you a hug ? 

On 1/31/2018 at 10:03 AM, Patriot Killa said:

I sometimes find the light’s glare off the lake on a late night as fascinating. I also find the look of a marble counter as fascinating.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, HighPeach.

I do enjoy both those wonders myself.

Would like like to meet for drinks?

Archived