I hate to be bear of bad news

Jetsplayer21

22 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Again, why would Cousins do that? Even if he is dead set Den is his team, he maximizes his pay through competition. And there is plenty of competition. If his agent allows him to sign a deal before hitting the open market he’d go down as dumbest agent ever.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Or he loses out on ~$2M a game he misses.  he does have incentive to sign and i am sure they would have an agreement before the trade was done.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/31/2018 at 7:30 AM, T0mShane said:

GGGRRRAAAAAAAAAAAA YOU LEFT YOUR WALLET IN A CAB YESTERDAY AND NOW THERE ARE SUSPICIOUS CHARGES ON YOUR AMEX GGGGRRRRAAAAAAAAA

0EC5951F-FE0F-4905-BD88-DDDD844B766A.jpeg

This post popped into my brain this morning while I was driving and I legit laughed 

On 2/1/2018 at 8:23 AM, nycdan said:

Pro tip: if you are going to try to be condescending, it helps if you have an idea of what you are talking about. 

No team is going to waste over $34MM of cap space in this situation just to be dicks.  The lesser tags don't work because they can't match any realistic offer so only the exclusive tag helps them.  Not to mention what it would do to morale on the team.  Think about the first time Alex Smith throws a pick and everyone is looking over at Kirk Cousins on the bench.  Even if they were to tag him initially it would be a hollow bluff as they'll have to withdraw it before the season starts.  Since the only team probably dumb enough to fall for that is WAS itself, the plan doesn't really work.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22315705/washington-redskins-consider-placing-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wrong. They would trade him to 1 of the few desperate teams for him. It’s a game of chicken I realize. But do say they definitely won’t do, when they are “considering it “ is very naive. 

None of the desperate teams will trade for him with that price tag. And as I said, Cousins can basically say "I don't want to sign a long term deal" as an FU to the Skins

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wrong. They would trade him to 1 of the few desperate teams for him. It’s a game of chicken I realize. But do say they definitely won’t do, when they are “considering it “ is very naive. 

There is another thread on this with a lot more detail.  It will play out however it will but there are tangible reasons why it won't work.  And we don't know if they are considering it or if it is just a few rumors going around and building up steam.  

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

None of the desperate teams will trade for him with that price tag. And as I said, Cousins can basically say "I don't want to sign a long term deal" as an FU to the Skins

And the skins can say “ ok you stay in the Corner for a while while the teams who want you find other options.” So we will not think of signing Kirk to 30 mil ? Is our cut off 28 ?

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Agreed.

Not to repeat the other thread in its entirety, but imagine WAS puts the tag on him.  $34.5MM immediate hit to their salary cap.  If he signs, they now have two starting QBs in their locker room at over $50MM cap hit and almost no room to sign any other FAs.  Any team that would consider signing him is going to want to know there is a long term deal in place so only one team is going to be on the other side of that trade at that point.  They offer WAS a 7th rounder take it or leave it.  Exactly how much leverage does WAS have in that situation?  If you guessed zero you would be spot on.

Lol ok. Why is that ? Are you thinking from only a jets fan perspective ? 

Because they’d literally have to cut players to do it, and they wouldn’t be able to sign anyone at all. At all. They would have 60m+ tied up in one position and it’s an obvious complete known that no team is giving a 1st round pick up to sign the 15th best QB for the biggest contract in history. Cousins will get overpaid, and teams desperate for a QB will rightfully do so, but they’re not giving a 1st. Best case scenario would be a 3rd. But even if it was a first, WAS would be completely ******* over their franchise and their other QB they just backed a truckload of cash to because they will literally not be able to get him any help because all their money is tied up to spite the guy sitting on the bench behind him. This is just comically stupid.

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Because they’d literally have to cut players to do it, and they wouldn’t be able to sign anyone at all. At all. They would have 60m+ tied up in one position and it’s an obvious complete known that no team is giving a 1st round pick up to sign the 15th best QB for the biggest contract in history. Cousins will get overpaid, and teams desperate for a QB will rightfully do so, but they’re not giving a 1st. Best case scenario would be a 3rd. But even if it was a first, WAS would be completely ******* over their franchise and their other QB they just backed a truckload of cash to because they will literally not be able to get him any help because all their money is tied up to spite the guy sitting on the bench behind him. This is just comically stupid.

They don’t have players they are thinking of already cutting like rest of nfl ? Lol wow must be lucky lol. Well a trade would happen quick I suppose. Who said a 1st ? A 3rd or 4th is probable. 

Archived