Salary cap Gurus - how does DEN pull off Cousins?

Paradis

I've seen some of you post some pretty in depth comprehensive break down of salaries and what's possible in the past (calculating dead money, realistic roster cut possibilities etc)... 

Wondering if any of could paint a picture? They have $26 mil right now, but they'll probably make some moves (Talib I hear is a goner)... DEN is easily Kirk's most attractive landing spot, so wondering if they can make the room necessary. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've seen some of you post some pretty in depth comprehensive break down of salaries and what's possible in the past (calculating dead money, realistic roster cut possibilities etc)... 

Wondering if any of could paint a picture? They have $26 mil right now, but they'll probably make some moves (Talib I hear is a goner)... DEN is easily Kirk's most attractive landing spot, so wondering if they can make the room necessary. 

Why does every one keep saying Denver is the most attractive landing spot? They LOST 8 GAMES IN A ROW LAST YEAR! And to sign Cousins they have to cut talent? Please explain this to me.

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It’s pretty simple if Cousins wants Denver, and Denver wants Cousins they will make the contract work to market value one way, or another it’s really not that difficult, how do you think the actual real franchise QB’s never hit FA even when their teams are Salary Cap strapped?

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Why does every one keep saying Denver is the most attractive landing spot? They LOST 8 GAMES IN A ROW LAST YEAR! And to sign Cousins they have to cut talent? Please explain this to me.

Trevor simien, brock oswieler.

Don;t have to say too much more/

The two things I am hearing are that Talib is on the block, and Demaryius Thomas may also be a goner.  Talib woudl free up $11MM and Thomas would free up $8MM.  There are other vets that they could cut: CJ Anderson ($4.5MM), Menelik Watson ($4.5MM) and Derek Wolfe ($7.5MM).

But, as others have said, how attractive would Denver be as a landing spot if they have to gut their roster, including releasing their top WR.  At least we are in the build part of teh rebuild.  Denver is still going through the tear down phase.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Seriously? 

Where do you start? An organization that knows how to win.... better ownership and management, a history of winning (did i mention that already?) better weapons, better defense, no Manish, no NY media trying cornhole you after a bad game... the list really does go on and on.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Cut Derek wolfe, emanal sanders and talib and they have 46 million.

They can cut talib and one of their high priced wide outs.  Really they have lots of options when you look at the over the cap tool

it looked complicated.

Easily. 

Jets rumored here to offer $180M with $100M guaranteed over -say- six years. Denver could do that with an $80M signing bonus and $20M more guaranteed in year three, with a salary of $1M in the first year of the deal for a cap number of $14.3M in 2018. 

Comfortably done without any roster moves. 

19 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Denver has much better talent than we do. Talent wise, they have a top 5 defense, 2 pro-bowl WR's and a better (and younger) O-line than the Jets.

More importantly, perception out there is that all Denver needs is a good QB to get them over the hump. While the Jets need just about everything.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The better question will be what @Pac says when this happens.  

Something something JN Geniuses will get a kick out of this... something something...here's why drafting a qb was stupid to begin with ... something something. Jets are the leading destination, if this doesn't happen Mac screwed up somewhere and should be fired immediately. 

49 minutes ago, Paradis said:

KC8 Rehab and longevity center?

40 minutes ago, Jetster said:

They have a beast Defense, and good offensive pieces, but lack a QB. They would be a 10-6+ team if they had a guy like Cousins under center. QB is literally the only thing holding them back from putting out another team like the one under Manning.

Denver can afford him by cutting the very players that make them superficially attractive.

No to mention they will not have the additional money to surround him with additional players.

Meanhile, Jets can fit him in and literally surround him with the players that he wants whether they are former teammates (for instance Ryan Grant or Terrelle Pryor if he has great chemistry with them) or other additions in FA and Draft.

Literally all Denver has going for them is past competence.

It would be an instance of incredible organizational incompetence if Denver is able to win more games over the next 5 years than us. Unfortunately nobody here would be surprised by that.

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Denver has 3 Lombardi trophies but I never think of them as a great organization.  Its like they are the step child of the NFL.  

Elway bought his way to a championship with Manning and the defense. Not knocking it, but he hasn't exactly been the best GM at drafting. I don't think he can make that promise again this time around with Cousins, considering they'd have to go backwards in cutting guys in order to sign him.  

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The better question will be what @Pac says when this happens.  

While the JN geniuses will have you believe Denver is the prohibitive favorite, I unilaterally reject that fairy tale.    

It could prove to be stupid to spend draft capital on a wildcard like Allen when you have a sure thing staring you in the face.

The Jets are the top destination..  I'm a Macc supporter but if he screws this up he should be booted the F out of Florham Park.

2 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Denver can afford him by cutting the very players that make them superficially attractive.

No to mention they will not have the additional money to surround him with additional players.

Meanhile, Jets can fit him in and literally surround him with the players that he wants whether they are former teammates (for instance Ryan Grant or Terrelle Pryor if he has great chemistry with them) or other additions in FA and Draft.

Literally all Denver has going for them is past competence.

It would be an instance of incredible organizational incompetence if Denver is able to win more games over the next 5 years than us. Unfortunately nobody here would be surprised by that.

Exactly

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

The two things I am hearing are that Talib is on the block, and Demaryius Thomas may also be a goner.  Talib woudl free up $11MM and Thomas would free up $8MM.  There are other vets that they could cut: CJ Anderson ($4.5MM), Menelik Watson ($4.5MM) and Derek Wolfe ($7.5MM).

But, as others have said, how attractive would Denver be as a landing spot if they have to gut their roster, including releasing their top WR.  At least we are in the build part of teh rebuild.  Denver is still going through the tear down phase.

This

If they have to get rid of their #1 WR, #2 CB, starting RB, etc just to make a deal with Cousins work...then how the hell does that make Denver more attractive than the Jets?

Is Cousins salivating to play for dipsh*t, ass blistering on the hotseat Vance Joseph or something?

Does he long to live in the shadows of John Elway and Peyton Manning?

Where’s the big appeal?

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

If they have to get rid of their #1 WR, #2 CB, starting RB, etc just to make a deal with Cousins work...then how the hell does that make Denver more attractive than the Jets?

Is Cousins salivating to play for dipsh*t, ass blistering on the hotseat Vance Joseph or something?

Does he long to live in the shadows of John Elway and Peyton Manning?

Where’s the big appeal?

You could spin this around and say sooooo much more about the Jets than DEN... why in the world would anyone come to the 2nd rate NY team? Honestly. If you're cousins and the money's all the same -- why the fck would you come to Woody Johnsons team over DEN? Why put yourself through the powder keg that is NY, on a team known for chocking, with Media salivating over this stuff -- over a team that has the right people in the right places. They legitimately were a QB away from making a run at the divison last year. We had reasonable QB play for most of 2017 and couldn't finish games.

You're not being honest with yourself or us. 

There's a litany of reasons why any QB in Kirk's place would pick DEN - and the broncos are not likely to cut ALL those players. 

The whole question of who Cousins will sign for isn't an easy answer. Cousins and his agent will be weighing up things like previous performance, GM, roster, culture, who are the coaches right now, does it look like they have a plan, will I be the man or will they be looking to replace me in 3 years, what players do they have and what's their reputation. 

The dollars are IMO just one of the factors. You have 3 or 4 teams he could go to and any of them can move contracts around, cut players to make it happen. For me, it will be about fit and not the dollars ultimately.

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You could spin this around and say sooooo much more about the Jets than DEN... why in the world would anyone come to the 2nd rate NY team? Honestly. If you're cousins and the money's all the same -- why the fck would you come to Woody Johnsons team over DEN? Why put yourself through the powder keg that is NY, on a team known for chocking, with Media salivating over this stuff -- over a team that has the right people in the right places. They legitimately were a QB away from making a run at the divison last year. We had reasonable QB play for most of 2017 and couldn't finish games.

You're not being honest with yourself or us. 

There's a litany of reasons why any QB in Kirk's place would pick DEN - and the broncos are not likely to cut ALL those players. 

So NY is a powder keg and tough to deal with...but the expectations of “Super Bowl or bust” in Denver isn’t?

I mean, everyone keeps telling me how stacked and set up for success the Broncos are. The team that Elway himself labeled as “soft” and players in the locker room were literally crying because of it. The team that lost 8 straight games and whose defense flatout gave up in the 2nd half of the season. The team that features two starting WR’s on the wrong side of 30 and a deteriorated OL. The team whose f*ckhead of a HC escaped being fired by the skin of his balls after his rookie season.

Could Cousins end up choosing Denver over the Jets? Of course he could.

But that team isn’t in nearly as good of shape as some of you guys are making them out to be.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Cut Derek wolfe, emanal sanders and talib and they have 46 million.

They can cut talib and one of their high priced wide outs.  Really they have lots of options when you look at the over the cap tool

Talib is an excellent CB and Sanders is a very good #2 wideout.  That would be cutting into the muscle of their roster

Broncos are better off drafting Josh Allen and signing a veteran like McCown or Bradford

2 hours ago, slats said:

Jets rumored here to offer $180M with $100M guaranteed over -say- six years. Denver could do that with an $80M signing bonus and $20M more guaranteed in year three, with a salary of $1M in the first year of the deal for a cap number of $14.3M in 2018. 

Weshould pray for Denver to do this! Sure fire recipe for CAP-HELL. Denver would be screwed for years

3 hours ago, slats said:

Easily. 

This.

Archived