Signing Cousins screams of selfishness and impatience

Greensleeves

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd argue the whole league knew Cousins would not be a Redskin since last March when Kirk asked for a trade.

Did the whole league know Alex Smith would be traded to wash? Lol. What does wash do if they did not trade for Smith, or could not. Just let cousins walk free and clear ? Doubtful. Probably a Tag and trade. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Sorry, but signing Cousins to me screams of the coach and GM being more worried about saving their jobs by going 9-7 or 10-6 rather than putting the franchise first, and the fans being impatient for not seeing this rebuild through. I think there is a lower ceiling with signing Cousins, but a quicker return to a mediocre to decent season. Drafting one of the top QBs (trade up) would give us the opportunity to build the team properly and continue putting the pieces in place. We are not a win now team. Yes, we can have a decent season, but I'm more concerned with sustained success and a Super Bowl win than being competitive for five years and busting our cap for a QB that will most likely be good, not great. If we do sign Cousins, we're suddenly a win now team before our pieces are in place. Makes no sense to me. Can't we have the guts to take a chance like the Eagles and Rams. Those teams look like they are going to be good for a long time. Cousins screams cop out to me. And yes, Bates, I believe, can develop a young talented QB. It won't be Bowles developing him, FWIW.

You'd have a much better point if the Jets had the first or second pick, like the Rams and Eagles had.  Instead, the Jets are in position to get the third or fourth best QB.  They're better off signing Cousins and using the draft picks and cap space to make the team better.

Selfish and impatient? How long do Jets fans have to wait until the organization puts a viable product on the field and builds a consistent contender? They haven't made the playoffs in nearly a decade.

If the Jets tanked properly and were in position to draft a blue chip quarterback, I'd be all about going with a rookie and building around him. Instead, we are likely looking at the third or fourth best prospect, one who is just as likely to bust than succeed in the NFL.

Quarterbacks like Cousins do not hit the market often. The Jets have the capital to go get him. Stop over analyzing the situation and pull the trigger, money be damned. Give Cousins some protection and weapons and he can sling it with the best of them. Enough with the pie in the sky hopes and dreams. Just go for the sure thing and give the team a chance to compete.

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I'm not interested in a winning season here or there. I want us to expect a winning season that could turn into a Super Bowl because we created sustainable success by building a young, talented team.

Yes, because Kirk Cousins would stop the Jets from building a "young, talented team."  

3 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Sorry, but signing Cousins to me screams of the coach and GM being more worried about saving their jobs by going 9-7 or 10-6 rather than putting the franchise first, and the fans being impatient for not seeing this rebuild through. I think there is a lower ceiling with signing Cousins, but a quicker return to a mediocre to decent season. Drafting one of the top QBs (trade up) would give us the opportunity to build the team properly and continue putting the pieces in place. We are not a win now team. Yes, we can have a decent season, but I'm more concerned with sustained success and a Super Bowl win than being competitive for five years and busting our cap for a QB that will most likely be good, not great. If we do sign Cousins, we're suddenly a win now team before our pieces are in place. Makes no sense to me. Can't we have the guts to take a chance like the Eagles and Rams. Those teams look like they are going to be good for a long time. Cousins screams cop out to me. And yes, Bates, I believe, can develop a young talented QB. It won't be Bowles developing him, FWIW.

Here’s the sense — and mind you, I’m not in the Cousins-or-bust group:

1. He’s expensive, but they can’t sign literally nobody and fill every position through the draft until there are only a few holes left. It sounds great on paper, but it’s unrealistic (particularly in this media market). 

2. QBs play at a high level for years and years. His 30th birthday is this coming August, which means it isn’t unrealistic to expect him to play out the entirety his next contract at a high level. That isn’t so for most other FA positions, except maybe on the OL. 

3. At #6 overall, the team will be in a position to pick up an edge rusher they can’t get via FA, or if none holds value there, trade down with other QB-needy teams and accumulate still more high pick(s). 

4. Sinking so much into a sure thing that isn’t going to lose a step, and have his value diminished a year or two later, would mean at least the cap room isn’t tossed in the trash and wasted like this imbecile’s last FA splurge. 

5. Our GM’s eye for QB talent had him pass up on the offer to trade up for either Goff or Wentz so he could draft the likes of Darron Lee, figuring Hackenberg was attainable much later and wasn’t much of a downgrade. It’d be an understatement to say his judgment of college QB value is suspect. Notice Houston didn’t draft a FQB, or feel any were worthy of drafting, until after he left their scouting dept. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. 

6. By the time the rest of this “build only through the draft” has had another couple years to take shape, $28m or so will no longer be top 5 in QB compensation (let alone all alone at #1). It feels like yesterday that the worthiness of $20m for Wilson was being questioned.

And how long is this pure-draft rebuild to take? From the time of his last 2 promotions in Houston, they drafted exactly 1 pro bowler after round 1 (Brooks, who took over half a decade to reach that level). So you’re going to wait a LONG time for this putz to build a worthy roster through the draft; longer still if he burns a high 1st rounder (and possibly more, if he trades up) on a QB prospect that’ll probably be the wrong one anyway. 

So if he’s going to make a deep dip into FA spending - and he’s going to, just like you or I would in his current position - he may as well make it a sure thing at the draft prospect position that is both the hardest to predict and often takes the longest to develop. 

Agree or disagree with signing Cousins, these aren’t illegitimate reasons. 

1 hour ago, SpartanJet said:

I'd agree with the OP if the Jets were drafting 1-3, but they screwed up the tank and just had to win 5 games for reasons.  If they can trade up by some miracle and grab Rosen, Darnold, or Allen then that is the best bet moving forward.  If not I'd rather have Cousins than the rest of the QBs available after the top 3.

Exactly.  This isn't a Cousins vs. Darnold/Rosen choice.  It's a sign Kirk Cousins and keep all of your draft picks vs. pick the third or fourth best QB in the draft with a whole lot of question marks.  

10 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

You'd have a much better point if the Jets had the first or second pick, like the Rams and Eagles had.  Instead, the Jets are in position to get the third or fourth best QB.  They're better off signing Cousins and using the draft picks and cap space to make the team better.

The Rams traded up from #15 to #1, the Eagles traded from #13 to #8 to #2. 

I'm very much for signing Cousins. Warfish makes fine case for doing just that. I fear we won't even get the chance as the Vikings are a much more attractive place for him. All the pieces except a QB are in place. I think he's a real longshot.

per Toto: 

Josh McCown said he's "fine" with returning to the Jets in 2018.

McCown knows the Jets are in play to draft a quarterback with the sixth overall pick in the 2018 draft and seems willing to be a bridge quarterback if that ends up being the case. Coming off the best season of his career in 2017, McCown is likely a contingency plan for the Jets if they miss out on Kirk Cousins in free agency.

McCOWN IS JUST AS A SUUUUUUUURE THING as Cousin Kirk!!!!!

Josh McCown would come back to Jets, even if they draft a QB

February 3, 2018 | 3:07am

josh.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=44

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. — Josh McCown has heard the talk about Kirk Cousins, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, etc. being the Jets’ new quarterback.

Still he’s hoping he is under center for the Jets again in 2018.

“It’s hard to say, ‘Hey, I want to go somewhere else’ after you had the best year of your career,” McCown, a pending free agent, said Friday at the Super Bowl. “I liked being there and loved the organization and the guys in the locker room. I think there was a good foundation laid, something special and something that can be built. I understand and respect the evaluation process that has to take place and let’s see where that leads us. Who knows?”

McCown was part of a panel for RISE, an organization that is trying to improve race relations and drive social progress through the power of sports.

The 38-year-old had a huge year in his first season with the Jets, playing better than anyone expected. He broke his left hand on Dec. 10, ending his season early. McCown still had a light wrap on the hand Friday, but said the injury is almost healed.

McCown said he would be fine with coming back to the Jets, even if they tell him they plan on drafting a quarterback with the No. 6 pick.

I came here with a guy that has just gotten picked in the second round [Christian Hackenberg],” McCown said. “That’s part of this business. For me, I’m going to come in and be part of the quarterback room and assimilate the best that I can and give away my experiences and share that with whoever is in there. Whatever the case may be I’m all for it.“It’s hard because you never like to see anybody lose their job either,” McCown said. “That’s the [crummy] part of this business. That said, Jeremy’s a guy I worked closely with this whole year. If that’s the opportunity he gets, I’m going to be excited for him. I look forward to him putting his imprint on this team.”

“I know we have older quarterbacks around the league who are pushing the envelope, but the reality is none of us are going to play forever and you understand that. I’ve said it from Day 1, I really root for these guys being able to find that long-term answer at quarterback and want them to succeed. If that’s through the draft or that’s through people already on the team if I can be a part of helping that, I’d love to.”

If McCown does come back, he will have a new offensive coordinator. The Jets fired John Morton after the season and are expected to promote quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates to the position.

LOL. :lol:  We're going to miss out on Kirk (which is fine for his overpriced cost) and we'll resign Drago and FA Olineman since college OLine suck. Draft Rosen at #4 in a swap w/Cleveland, sacrificing little to move up 2 spots, and draft Defense for the remainder of the draft. 

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Makes you wonder why the Broncos would go after Cousins in the first place....

Win now team, cant wait any long for QB to develop. They look old and out matched a lot last year., Personally I think their window is all but closed, last roll of the dice..

2 minutes ago, slats said:

The situations are so much different.  Tennessee was looking to move out because they had drafted Mariota the year before.  And Cleveland is, well, Cleveland.  The Jets are NOT going to be able to get #1 or #2.

Cleveland has put themselves in a situation where they absolutely need to take a QB #1 this year and they're going to.  So they're not trading that pick.  And the Giants sure as hell aren't trading #2 to the Jets so the Jets can draft Rosen.  And the Giants know that they don't get a chance to pick #2 every year.  They'll take a QB.  

Very true, but he's still not the young guy that may give us a higher ceiling. I want our own guy to develop and bring along with our young team. If we had a win now team it would be different. We need to stay the course and build our team with really young players in the draft and free agency.

I’m not sure how high a ceiling people are expecting from the Jets.  Take any season that Cousins has been a starter, his numbers would rank as if not the best, one of the top 3 seasons in our history.

Im not sure what other options the Jets could take that could assure the FO of getting a competent QB aside from trading the next two drafts away fro Darnold or Rosen.

Mayfield, Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson aren’t going to come here and throw for 4,000 yards and 27-10.

And by the time any of those long shots has had a chance to prosper, Macc and Bowles will be long gone.

44 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Did the whole league know Alex Smith would be traded to wash? Lol. What does wash do if they did not trade for Smith, or could not. Just let cousins walk free and clear ? Doubtful. Probably a Tag and trade. 

Alex Smith has nothing to do with the equation. The likelihood of the Redskins paying Kirk $34M to be on the franchise tag was incredibly small considering he already wanted a trade the year before. The only way they would have tagged him this season would be to try an negotiate a long term deal, the feeling around the league was Kirk wanted out of Washington so why would the Skins want to pay $34M for one year to have him test FA in 2019? 

They only had 2 options - 1) let Kirk test Free Agency and hope he comes back and signs or 2) Transition Tag him and hope that another team doesn't draw up a contract they can't match, both of which led people to believe that Kirk would not be a Redskin. 

what rebuild?   people throw the 'rebuild' word around as an excuse for mismanaging both FA and the draft.   If this team was truly 'rebuilding' then Macc either takes watson / mahomes or trades down to add a 2018 #1.   

You rebuild by drafting IMPACT positions - QB, OT, Pass Rush.   Macc's drafts so far are DL, LB (tiny), and S.  

10 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I’m not sure how high a ceiling people are expecting from the Jets.  Take any season that Cousins has been a starter, his numbers would rank as if not the best, one of the top 3 seasons in our history.

Im not sure what other options the Jets could take that could assure the FO of getting a competent QB aside from trading the next two drafts away fro Darnold or Rosen.

The bar is so low for the Jets in passing that Ryan Fitzpatrick had the 2nd best passing season in Jets history in 2015. So it's not saying much that Cousin Kirk's numbers would ALSO rank highly in the Jets' annals of field tossers.

The 10 best QB season in Jets history by yardage:

Rk Player Year Age Tm Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
1 Joe Namath 1967* 24 NYJ QB 14 14 8-5-1 258 491 52.5 4007 26 5.3 28 5.7 75 8.2 6.7 15.5 286.2 73.8             1 2
2 Ryan Fitzpatrick 2015 33 NYJ QB 16 16 10-6-0 335 562 59.6 3905 31 5.5 15 2.7 69 6.9 6.9 11.7 244.1 88.0 65.3 19 94 6.56 6.46 3.3 2 3
3 Ken O'Brien 1985* 25 NYJ QB 16 16 11-5-0 297 488 60.9 3888 25 5.1 8 1.6 96 8.0 8.3 13.1 243.0 96.2   62 399 6.34 6.60 11.3 1 1
4 Vinny Testaverde 2000 37 NYJ QB 16 16 9-7-0 328 590 55.6 3732 21 3.6 25 4.2 63 6.3 5.1 11.4 233.3 69.0   13 71 6.07 4.90 2.2 4 4
5 Ken O'Brien 1986 26 NYJ QB 15 14 8-6-0 300 482 62.2 3690 25 5.2 20 4.1 83 7.7 6.8 12.3 246.0 85.8   40 353 6.39 5.63 7.7 3 3
6 Richard Todd 1983 30 NYJ QB 16 16 7-9-0 308 518 59.5 3478 18 3.5 26 5.0 64 6.7 5.2 11.3 217.4 70.3   42 314 5.65 4.20 7.5 0 1
7 Mark Sanchez 2011 25 NYJ QB 16 16 8-8-0 308 543 56.7 3474 26 4.8 18 3.3 74 6.4 5.9 11.3 217.1 78.2 45.6 39 243 5.55 5.05 6.7 4 4
8 Brett Favre 2008* 39 NYJ QB 16 16 9-7-0 343 522 65.7 3472 22 4.2 22 4.2 56 6.7 5.6 10.1 217.0 81.0 45.9 30 213 5.90 4.91 5.4 1 2
9 Boomer Esiason 1993* 32 NYJ QB 16 16 8-8-0 288 473 60.9 3421 16 3.4 11 2.3 77 7.2 6.9 11.9 213.8 84.5   18 139 6.68 6.33 3.7    
10 Joe Namath 1966 23 NYJ QB 14 13 5-6-2 232 471 49.3 3379 19 4.0 27 5.7 77 7.2 5.4 14.6 241.4 62.6             4 2

4 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

what rebuild?   people throw the 'rebuild' word around as an excuse for mismanaging both FA and the draft.   If this team was truly 'rebuilding' then Macc either takes watson / mahomes or trades down to add a 2018 #1.   

You rebuild by drafting IMPACT positions - QB, OT, Pass Rush.   Macc's drafts so far are DL, LB (tiny), and S.  

A valid point. I've sadly regressed to being lukewarm on Mac and his eye for drafting IMPACT players. Rumors keep arising that he keys (attempts to trade-up for) on players that have yielded results: Goff, Cam Robinson, Kamara. . . . but he's too gun shy to pull the triggers since he VALUES draft picks SO MUCH and would rather accumulate, than depart, with them. 

23 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The bar is so low for the Jets in passing that Ryan Fitzpatrick had the 2nd best passing season in Jets history in 2015. So it's not saying much that Cousin Kirk's numbers would ALSO rank highly in the Jets' annals of field tossers.

The 10 best QB season in Jets history by yardage:

Rk Player Year Age Tm Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
1 Joe Namath 1967* 24 NYJ QB 14 14 8-5-1 258 491 52.5 4007 26 5.3 28 5.7 75 8.2 6.7 15.5 286.2 73.8             1 2
2 Ryan Fitzpatrick 2015 33 NYJ QB 16 16 10-6-0 335 562 59.6 3905 31 5.5 15 2.7 69 6.9 6.9 11.7 244.1 88.0 65.3 19 94 6.56 6.46 3.3 2 3
3 Ken O'Brien 1985* 25 NYJ QB 16 16 11-5-0 297 488 60.9 3888 25 5.1 8 1.6 96 8.0 8.3 13.1 243.0 96.2   62 399 6.34 6.60 11.3 1 1
4 Vinny Testaverde 2000 37 NYJ QB 16 16 9-7-0 328 590 55.6 3732 21 3.6 25 4.2 63 6.3 5.1 11.4 233.3 69.0   13 71 6.07 4.90 2.2 4 4
5 Ken O'Brien 1986 26 NYJ QB 15 14 8-6-0 300 482 62.2 3690 25 5.2 20 4.1 83 7.7 6.8 12.3 246.0 85.8   40 353 6.39 5.63 7.7 3 3
6 Richard Todd 1983 30 NYJ QB 16 16 7-9-0 308 518 59.5 3478 18 3.5 26 5.0 64 6.7 5.2 11.3 217.4 70.3   42 314 5.65 4.20 7.5 0 1
7 Mark Sanchez 2011 25 NYJ QB 16 16 8-8-0 308 543 56.7 3474 26 4.8 18 3.3 74 6.4 5.9 11.3 217.1 78.2 45.6 39 243 5.55 5.05 6.7 4 4
8 Brett Favre 2008* 39 NYJ QB 16 16 9-7-0 343 522 65.7 3472 22 4.2 22 4.2 56 6.7 5.6 10.1 217.0 81.0 45.9 30 213 5.90 4.91 5.4 1 2
9 Boomer Esiason 1993* 32 NYJ QB 16 16 8-8-0 288 473 60.9 3421 16 3.4 11 2.3 77 7.2 6.9 11.9 213.8 84.5   18 139 6.68 6.33 3.7    
10 Joe Namath 1966 23 NYJ QB 14 13 5-6-2 232 471 49.3 3379 19 4.0 27 5.7 77 7.2 5.4 14.6 241.4 62.6             4 2

A lot of this is because of the new NFL.  

Like does anyone think Fitz or even Brady would have lasted in the 90s and earlier?

Yes I agree the Jets QBs suck, but we really shouldn't say Fitz had the 2nd best season.  It's a completely different game now.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

A lot of this is because of the new NFL.  

Like does anyone think Fitz or even Brady would have lasted in the 90s and earlier?

Yes I agree the Jets QBs suck, but we really should say Fitz had the 2nd best season.  It's a completely different game now.

I agree. Vinny's incredible 1998 year ranked 16th:

16 Vinny Testaverde 1998* 35 NYJ QB 14 13 12-1-0 259 421 61.5 3256 29 6.9 7 1.7 82 7.7 8.4 12.6 232.6 101.6   19 140 7.08 7.68 4.3

13 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Macc's drafts so far are DL, LB (tiny), and S

2 out of those 3 "awful" picks will be perennial pro-bowlers and leaders in a locker room that has been fragmented for the better part of a decade.  The 3rd came on strong last year and will hopefully take another step this year.

People like to act like these were busts which is kind of a joke.  Lets talk in May when we know what's been done with the so-called impact positions.

The only thing the Macc haters have going for them is the possibility that Watson or Mahomes will be good. 

In 3 years I think we'll find that Cousins/Mayfield + Adams >>> Watson or Mahomes.

Teams turn around in a year, if they have a QB who can lead them. Not to mention that there is no impatience in acquiring a QB who will give 5-7 years of leadership and high quality play. That decision would actually free the Jets to pick up one or two QB projects to develop while still being competitive. Even this year's draft is deep at QB. The Jets could pick up a solid prospect in the second round with one of their two picks and still fill critical holes in their roster. With a few smart FA pick ups, the Jets will be more than relevant, whether at 9-7, 10-6 or 11-5. They'll be worth watching in 2018, not 2020. We can be a win now team. That's where your paradigm breaks down.

37 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

per Toto: 

Josh McCown said he's "fine" with returning to the Jets in 2018.

McCown knows the Jets are in play to draft a quarterback with the sixth overall pick in the 2018 draft and seems willing to be a bridge quarterback if that ends up being the case. Coming off the best season of his career in 2017, McCown is likely a contingency plan for the Jets if they miss out on Kirk Cousins in free agency.

McCOWN IS JUST AS A SUUUUUUUURE THING as Cousin Kirk!!!!!

Josh McCown would come back to Jets, even if they draft a QB

February 3, 2018 | 3:07am

josh.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=44

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. — Josh McCown has heard the talk about Kirk Cousins, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, etc. being the Jets’ new quarterback.

Still he’s hoping he is under center for the Jets again in 2018.

“It’s hard to say, ‘Hey, I want to go somewhere else’ after you had the best year of your career,” McCown, a pending free agent, said Friday at the Super Bowl. “I liked being there and loved the organization and the guys in the locker room. I think there was a good foundation laid, something special and something that can be built. I understand and respect the evaluation process that has to take place and let’s see where that leads us. Who knows?”

McCown was part of a panel for RISE, an organization that is trying to improve race relations and drive social progress through the power of sports.

The 38-year-old had a huge year in his first season with the Jets, playing better than anyone expected. He broke his left hand on Dec. 10, ending his season early. McCown still had a light wrap on the hand Friday, but said the injury is almost healed.

McCown said he would be fine with coming back to the Jets, even if they tell him they plan on drafting a quarterback with the No. 6 pick.

I came here with a guy that has just gotten picked in the second round [Christian Hackenberg],” McCown said. “That’s part of this business. For me, I’m going to come in and be part of the quarterback room and assimilate the best that I can and give away my experiences and share that with whoever is in there. Whatever the case may be I’m all for it.“It’s hard because you never like to see anybody lose their job either,” McCown said. “That’s the [crummy] part of this business. That said, Jeremy’s a guy I worked closely with this whole year. If that’s the opportunity he gets, I’m going to be excited for him. I look forward to him putting his imprint on this team.”

“I know we have older quarterbacks around the league who are pushing the envelope, but the reality is none of us are going to play forever and you understand that. I’ve said it from Day 1, I really root for these guys being able to find that long-term answer at quarterback and want them to succeed. If that’s through the draft or that’s through people already on the team if I can be a part of helping that, I’d love to.”

If McCown does come back, he will have a new offensive coordinator. The Jets fired John Morton after the season and are expected to promote quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates to the position.

LOL. :lol:  We're going to miss out on Kirk (which is fine for his overpriced cost) and we'll resign Drago and FA Olineman since college OLine suck. Draft Rosen at #4 in a swap w/Cleveland, sacrificing little to move up 2 spots, and draft Defense for the remainder of the draft. 

JUST SAY NO TO THE McCown's and Fitzpatrick's of the NFL. No more old-retread QB's!!!!!!

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And how long is this pure-draft rebuild to take? From the time of his last 2 promotions in Houston, they drafted exactly 1 pro bowler after round 1 (Brooks, who took over half a decade to reach that level). So you’re going to wait a LONG time for this putz to build a worthy roster through the draft; longer still if he burns a high 1st rounder (and possibly more, if he trades up) on a QB prospect that’ll probably be the wrong one anyway. 

I agree with your entire post and wanted to expand on this portion. 

Comparing the 2012-14 Pro Bowl Rosters in Relation to What Round a Player is Selected

1st Round - 88 Players - 51%

2nd Round - 21 Players - 12%

3rd Round - 20 Players - 11%

4th Round - 11 Players - 5.5%

5th Round - 8 Players - 4%

6th Round - 8 Players - 4% 

7th Round - 3 Players - .5% 

Undrafted - 21 Players - 12%

**Note this is not the percentage of you drafting a Pro Bowl talent by round** (That percentage would be far lower) 

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No I get that. But do they think Cousins is any good?

Duh. Some key players do. Add in the fact that they have Elway who can relate to Cousins on a level few GM's can and the Broncos are a definite contender for his services.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Kirk Cousins has been, as a starter, what you would want any drafted QB to develop into.  But most draft picks don't.

A Top 10 4,000 Yard a year passer.

If we draft say, Darnold, would we be angry if he threw for 67%, 4,900 Yards and 27/12 TD/INT Ratio?

I think we'd all sh*t ourselves if that happened, we'd all be so happy.

Well, that IS Kirk Cousins right now.  No waiting required.

Kirk will be 30 by the start of the 2018 season.  He has, barring injury as always, at least 4-7 more years to play QB in the modern rule-set of the NFL.

We may quibble over his cost, but there really shouldn't be any concern about either his ability/production (he's far more likely to be good than any draft pick) or how long he may last (at 30 he has years ahead of him still).

I too want (in my preference) to draft an "our guy" QB who plays his whole career with us.  

We're not in position to do so without great cost in draft picks.

And this is, IMO, very much NOT the draft to try.  Darnold and Rosen are mediocre prospects at best.  They are not Dan Marino and John Elway.  And the 2nd tier guys, even the one I really like, are all VERY risky picks.

A pursuit of Cousins may help this regime in the short term, but it is also the clearest way to vastly improve this franchise at it's most vital position.  And it's an opportunity that near on never occurs, a legit franchise QB performer available as a FA.

Kirk is a very good option for us.  His signing, should it happen, should not right off the bat be turned into so faux Bowles/Macc CYA move.  It IS the best move this team can make at QB......even if the cost in dollars (which is better than picks we must admit) will be stratospherically high.

You sir are an intellect and a gentleman.

How these anti-Cousins people can’t understand is mind boggling to me.

1) You really don’t know what you have when you draft a QB and even if they turn out good it’s going to take several years.

2) Cousins is really freakin good and you don’t have to guess about it.

3) Free agent QBs if his caliber simply never show up on the open market.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's hard to agree with this. What do you expect the coaching staff and GM to do, not try and save their jobs? How many more years of 5-10 seasons do you expect they have? They've been here for 3 seasons and have produced nothing worth noting. 

Sure they're going to worry about saving their jobs, especially if they feel like signing a guy in his prime can help that cause. Think about it, saving their job means that they've turned things around with this franchise (which is what would pretty much save their job) so isnt that what Jets fans want anyway? 

Look, im not a huge fan of the alleged contract offers surrounding Cousins (30 million +) but I would be highly supportive of signing Cousins and I think he'd be an immediate upgrade at the most important position on this team without a doubt. GM'ers and coaches saving their jobs have nothing to do with the fact that Cousins would indeed make this team better. 

We are not a "win now" team to many fans, but when you're going into your 4th year as a GM/coach this IS a win now year. This is their 4th year and 2nd rebuild. It is a win now situation, and the bottomline is drafting a QB this year may not save their job if we have another bad season because of the lack of experience at the QB position given QB development. 

I wouldnt be willing to sign Cousins to 30+ million, but between 23-25 I'd be on board...AND we could still draft a developmental QB further down in the draft as well as trading down in the draft to pick up more pieces. 

You make some good points, but bolster my argument as well. What will most likely happen is the Jets will have a good year or two, maybe 10-6 the second year, and then regress. That's not success in my book. We need them to compete for a division title year after year and have a team where the Super Bowl is possible. It would be fine with Bowles and Mac though, since it would keep them around longer. But in 3 or 4 years, they may be shown the door for someone that will be asked to do what they were supposed to do after year 2. And by then there may not be a QB worth taking.

On a side note, if I was Cousins I could plainly see how year after year the Jets favor their defense. Would I really want to play for Bowles? I know he would fit with Bates, but if Bowles is telling Bates to play conservatively, that will impact his numbers. We've never had a really good D under Bowles with all the resources he's had. That has to impact his decision in a huge way. He is a smart guy that will get paid from someone. On the other hand, Denver has an all-time great QB that understands the position and by the way, has a much better D. I expect him to take less money to play in Denver.

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

But remember, the Rams and Eagles moved up, and also from much worse spots in the draft with less to give up.

5 hours ago, slats said:

Sorry, but I think that's a terrible idea and one the team will never pursue. If (when?) the Jets sign Cousins, they have to be all in with Cousins, and that means not using their big chip in the draft to draft his backup. I could, however, see them spending one of their second rounders on one of the leftover QBs. Maybe. 

Math of the cap makes it very difficult to devote that much of your cap to the QB slot. Could work for 2-3 years but after that, you got a problem. Cousins is looking for 3-4 years guaranteed, which puts that contract's out years right were you would probably reupp this year's 1st round QB. Pretty much what happened with GB with  Favre/Rodgers(we should have such problems!). The cap is going up, but you probably are putting yourself in a bind right when you would think the young QB should be hitting his prime. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

You're giving Cousins $30M/year because you've seen him play at a high level in the NFL and you expect him to continue that for another solid five seasons. Once you make that move, the next one is to build a team around him with the goal of winning a Super Bowl. The next move is not securing his successor. I'd be fine with a QB taken anywhere from the second to fourth rounds, a developmental guy who fits the prototype and developing him. You can't use the #6 overall on a player who you intend to be your backup QB for the next three years, minimum. That pick is too valuable. It has to be a piece of the potential championship puzzle. 

If you're not sure that Cousins can be your high-level starter for the next five years, you don't give him $60-100M guaranteed in the first place. You sign a lower priced vet and put yourself in a position to draft your favorite prospect in the first round. 

Think drafting a QB early is the better way to go. But again if you sign Cousins, you need to use that 6th pick to surround him with talent, be it an OL guy or an edge pass rusher. May be you instead go QB 2nd or 3rd. 

3 hours ago, BigO said:

Yes look at the Falcons. They should have won the SB last year. And they made a good run this year and should again next year. And this 1 year turn around is nothing more than a myth. Name one team that’s won a Super Bowl adopting this mentality? Sure there have been teams that have drastically improved but they fall short and return to mediocrity. Build it and it will succeed.

I get the impression you think I'm advocating a "buy a championship" contender, with no plan for prolonged success. I'm not.

I just don't buy into the notion that a rebuilt team can only come about as a slow-and-steady, 5 year process, type of thing. I believe you can grow a team the "right way" out of FA and the draft. It requires a degree of pro scouting and college scouting competency. Given Mac's track record thus far, he's not good with either.

That said, I point at the Falcons as an example for how quickly a team can turn on a dime. They turned the corner last season after augmenting an average roster with FA spending along the OL, WR, and defense. That, paired with having a QB, and hitting on more than 1 draft pick per 5 years helped them become a team poised to annually compete.

I guess the short version is: our fans are silly to assume there's only one way to "build" and it's slow, the reality is a rebuild requires competency by the GM in acquiring talent that can contribute for more than 1 year, everywhere he can find it. Mac isn't doing this.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

2 out of those 3 "awful" picks will be perennial pro-bowlers and leaders in a locker room that has been fragmented for the better part of a decade.  The 3rd came on strong last year and will hopefully take another step this year.

People like to act like these were busts which is kind of a joke.  Lets talk in May when we know what's been done with the so-called impact positions.

The only thing the Macc haters have going for them is the possibility that Watson or Mahomes will be good. 

In 3 years I think we'll find that Cousins/Mayfield + Adams >>> Watson or Mahomes.

agree to disagree on Safety at 6, regardless of how good he is or isn't.   My initial point is that the 'rebuild' is just an excuse for 2+ years of mis-management.   What rebuild?   Is signing revis, extending fitzpatrick, extending Harris, and signing a 30+ year-old running back rebuilding?    these are moves you make when you think you are 1-2 players from a playoff run, not rebuilding moves.   

2017 was less a rebuild then an admission that the first 2 years were a total disaster.   a rebuild would have allocated '16 cap space to YOUNG players, an OL, and impact positions.   Instead we have old players, lazy players, and year-to-year journeyman QB's.   

so again, what rebuild?   

2 hours ago, slats said:

He Rams Rease was with Ten.  A team that 12 months earlier spent the #2 pick on their FQB.  The other trade was with the Browns.

The lessen that every GM, FO, & coaching staff is simple.  If you have your FQB, feel free to trade down and rake in the extra picks.  If you do not have your FQB, then be the Browns and wind up going 1-31 and keeping the HC because the roster is so bad.

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I get the impression you think I'm advocating a "buy a championship" contender, with no plan for prolonged success. I'm not.

I just don't buy into the notion that a rebuilt team can only come about as a slow-and-steady, 5 year process, type of thing. I believe you can grow a team the "right way" out of FA and the draft. It requires a degree of pro scouting and college scouting competency. Given Mac's track record thus far, he's not good with either.

That said, I point at the Falcons as an example for how quickly a team can turn on a dime. They turned the corner last season after augmenting an average roster with FA spending along the OL, WR, and defense. That, paired with having a QB, and hitting on more than 1 draft pick per 5 years helped them become a team poised to annually compete.

I guess the short version is: our fans are silly to assume there's only one way to "build" and it's slow, the reality is a rebuild requires competency by the GM in acquiring talent that can contribute for more than 1 year, everywhere he can find it. Mac isn't doing this.

You can argue the Falcons are an example of either or. Ryan’s been in the league since ‘98. J Jones cost them a bundle but was worth it. They have been a work in progress for years. Yes they were mediocre for a number of years under Ryan but there has to be an element of progress in the equation. I just don’t see any team worth a bag of beans that have turned things around in a year or two and sustained continued success like the Steelers or Pats, Maybe the Saints but still those integral pieces were in place and they’ve been fairly competitive for the last number of years. 

7 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

The eagles (after trade) and Rams had the first two picks in the draft. We are sitting at 6 and may not be about to trade up higher than 3. So there's that. 

Cousins is a viable option. He isn't case keenum. He's a QB that passed for 4900 yards in 2016. Stop acting like the jets have the first overall pick and are instead going with Josh mccown. 

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Duh. Some key players do. Add in the fact that they have Elway who can relate to Cousins on a level few GM's can and the Broncos are a definite contender for his services.

I think we need a sarcasm font because you missed it haha he was just saying that because people are claiming that Cousins is not worth the money. By showing that a team like the Broncos is interested he is implying that the Jets shouldn't be seen as silly for wanting to pay him as the top QB.

Archived