Signing Cousins screams of selfishness and impatience

Greensleeves

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Kirk Cousins has been, as a starter, what you would want any drafted QB to develop into.  But most draft picks don't.

A Top 10 4,000 Yard a year passer.

If we draft say, Darnold, would we be angry if he threw for 67%, 4,900 Yards and 27/12 TD/INT Ratio?

I think we'd all sh*t ourselves if that happened, we'd all be so happy.

Well, that IS Kirk Cousins right now.  No waiting required.

Kirk will be 30 by the start of the 2018 season.  He has, barring injury as always, at least 4-7 more years to play QB in the modern rule-set of the NFL.

We may quibble over his cost, but there really shouldn't be any concern about either his ability/production (he's far more likely to be good than any draft pick) or how long he may last (at 30 he has years ahead of him still).

I too want (in my preference) to draft an "our guy" QB who plays his whole career with us.  

We're not in position to do so without great cost in draft picks.

And this is, IMO, very much NOT the draft to try.  Darnold and Rosen are mediocre prospects at best.  They are not Dan Marino and John Elway.  And the 2nd tier guys, even the one I really like, are all VERY risky picks.

A pursuit of Cousins may help this regime in the short term, but it is also the clearest way to vastly improve this franchise at it's most vital position.  And it's an opportunity that near on never occurs, a legit franchise QB performer available as a FA.

Kirk is a very good option for us.  His signing, should it happen, should not right off the bat be turned into so faux Bowles/Macc CYA move.  It IS the best move this team can make at QB......even if the cost in dollars (which is better than picks we must admit) will be stratospherically high.

Once again, well said. I'm not even opposed to drafting a QB and would still prefer Sam Darnold but we pick 6 and there is no guarantee we'll be able to move up to get the guy we want. So Cousins is the best option. 

He's a franchise QB. Whether he's Matthew Stafford or big Ben, we'll find out at some point. But he's better than this Franchise has had since Namath. 

For people to cry about that is comical.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think we need a sarcasm font because you missed it haha he was just saying that because people are claiming that Cousins is not worth the money. By showing that a team like the Broncos is interested he is implying that the Jets shouldn't be seen as silly for wanting to pay him as the top QB.

LMAO.

But if we do sign Cousins, we should be all in for Barkley. We have seen the stats where most draft picks don't pan out. Move up for the sure thing and we would finally have a really exciting player on offense again. Remember when we had Toon, Walker, McNeil, Schuler on the same team? That's what drafting offense every once in a while can do for you. 

Not IMO....if you’re all in for Cousins, and are gonna drop millions on his deal, I’m gonna put a great OL around him to protect that investment , and block for the RB I draft in the later rounds as that provides a more sound strategy.

But that’s just me.

7 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Sorry, but signing Cousins to me screams of the coach and GM being more worried about saving their jobs by going 9-7 or 10-6 rather than putting the franchise first, and the fans being impatient for not seeing this rebuild through. I think there is a lower ceiling with signing Cousins, but a quicker return to a mediocre to decent season. Drafting one of the top QBs (trade up) would give us the opportunity to build the team properly and continue putting the pieces in place. We are not a win now team. Yes, we can have a decent season, but I'm more concerned with sustained success and a Super Bowl win than being competitive for five years and busting our cap for a QB that will most likely be good, not great. If we do sign Cousins, we're suddenly a win now team before our pieces are in place. Makes no sense to me. Can't we have the guts to take a chance like the Eagles and Rams. Those teams look like they are going to be good for a long time. Cousins screams cop out to me. And yes, Bates, I believe, can develop a young talented QB. It won't be Bowles developing him, FWIW.

The almighty buck....

41 minutes ago, BigO said:

You can argue the Falcons are an example of either or. Ryan’s been in the league since ‘98. J Jones cost them a bundle but was worth it. They have been a work in progress for years. Yes they were mediocre for a number of years under Ryan but there has to be an element of progress in the equation. I just don’t see any team worth a bag of beans that have turned things around in a year or two and sustained continued success like the Steelers or Pats, Maybe the Saints but still those integral pieces were in place and they’ve been fairly competitive for the last number of years. 

Part of the point I was making was that no team has sustained success like the Pats or Steelers, because of who their owners are. I don't expect NFL fans to agree on everything. They shouldn't. But the one thing we should all agree upon is that the NFL is one of the more successful corporations in America, and American Corporations thrive on dishonest dealings. There's no integrity to the game. Integrity only exists at the individual athlete level, if that.

It's sports entertainment, at best.

22 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Not IMO....if you’re all in for Cousins, and are gonna drop millions on his deal, I’m gonna put a great OL around him to protect that investment , and block for the RB I draft in the later rounds as that provides a more sound strategy.

But that’s just me.

I agree with OL, but I would go OL in Free Agency and grab one in the draft as well. We can still grab a few pieces in FA if we end up signing Cousins. FWIW, I think Cousins will take less to go to a team that is strong already - maybe even Minnesota, as they have over 50 million in cap space and no QB under contract.

8 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Sorry, but signing Cousins to me screams of the coach and GM being more worried about saving their jobs by going 9-7 or 10-6 rather than putting the franchise first, and the fans being impatient for not seeing this rebuild through. I think there is a lower ceiling with signing Cousins, but a quicker return to a mediocre to decent season. Drafting one of the top QBs (trade up) would give us the opportunity to build the team properly and continue putting the pieces in place. We are not a win now team. Yes, we can have a decent season, but I'm more concerned with sustained success and a Super Bowl win than being competitive for five years and busting our cap for a QB that will most likely be good, not great. If we do sign Cousins, we're suddenly a win now team before our pieces are in place. Makes no sense to me. Can't we have the guts to take a chance like the Eagles and Rams. Those teams look like they are going to be good for a long time. Cousins screams cop out to me. And yes, Bates, I believe, can develop a young talented QB. It won't be Bowles developing him, FWIW.

from a puncher's chance standpoint, signing cousins would be exciting.. especially since i have no expectations of bowles & maccagnan getting things right long term.. none..

if woody's brother stumbled onto a competent/slightly above competent GM/HC offensive minded tandem '19??

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Part of the point I was making was that no team has sustained success like the Pats or Steelers, because of who their owners are. I don't expect NFL fans to agree on everything. They shouldn't. But the one thing we should all agree upon is that the NFL is one of the more successful corporations in America, and American Corporations thrive on dishonest dealings. There's no integrity to the game. Integrity only exists at the individual athlete level, if that.

It's sports entertainment, at best.

Any organization that declares Jerry Jones Exec of the Year is a farce and should be ashamed of themselves. 

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The eagles (after trade) and Rams had the first two picks in the draft. We are sitting at 6 and may not be about to trade up higher than 3. So there's that. 

Cousins is a viable option. He isn't case keenum. He's a QB that passed for 4900 yards in 2016. Stop acting like the jets have the first overall pick and are instead going with Josh mccown. 

Cousins had 4900 yards and the Redskins had a 7-9 record in 2017. 8-7 -1 in 2016 and 9-7 in 2015.  Cousins was 2-11 vs. playoff teams in 2016 and 2017. It’s indicative that you need more than a ‘good QB’ to be a playoff contender. Cousins wants to win. I seriously doubt he’d want a repeat experience by coming to NY. 

12 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Image result for damn good stuff sir gif

11 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

How often does a top notch NFL QB become an unfettered FA in his prime? For a franchise that has been in need of a QB since Namath retired, they would be idiots if they didn't try to sign Cousins.  Other than a career year by Vinnie in 1998 and a great first 11 games by Farve in 2008 prior to his shoulder injury, they have been below average at that position since Namath retired! Cousins is young enough for sustained success.

Cousins is NOT a top notch NFL QB. If he was the Redskins would cave and give him what he wants. He is a "good" QB, people need to stop acting like he is a franchise guy

i disagree with this post whole heartedly. kirk cousins is a legit franchise caliber qb with 8 or so years likely left to play. having a franchise qb is such a huge advantage in this league, and it's something the jets have been without ever since i can remember. favre for one year doesn't count. pennington and his noodle arm doesn't count. ken o'brien might be the last time we had one. testaverde and his one decent year doesn't count. if we can get kirk cousins you do it, and you don't overthink this. you get your franchise qb and worry about what you're gonna do when he retires in 8 years sometime in the future. it gives you so much flexibility. you can draft guys like a garropollo to groom. in the meantime you are always a contender when you have a legit qb. you get your qb and you make sure your o-line is good. thats the foundation for a great offense, which is something the jets haven't had in a long ******* time. i am so sick of watching this team waste year after year, picking early cornerbacks to supposedly mitigate the tom brady factor only to watch him win year after year. you are arguing to not sign cousins so that we can draft a guy who hopefully turns out to be as good as cousins. we have the money, and qb's cost money. this is the perfect timing we are always looking for. franchise caliber qb's do not come available often. one is available and we have a boatload of money to get him. there are possibly 2 o-linemen that can be drafted at 6 if you don't go skill position. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All moot perhaps, news today reporting that Minnesota is Cousins top choice.  Rightfully so, it's the most Super Bowl run ready team without a legitimate top 10 QB.  Bottom 15 they have three, top 10, none.

More to come.

There's a new top choice everyday! LOL!

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All moot perhaps, news today reporting that Minnesota is Cousins top choice.  Rightfully so, it's the most Super Bowl run ready team without a legitimate top 10 QB.  Bottom 15 they have three, top 10, none.

More to come.

That's coming from a Vikings play by play guy, he said he heard from someone with a well respected opinion. I think he could certainly go there but again I think he likely leaves money on the table just like if he went to Denver or Arizona. Him going to the Vikings would be a worst case scenario because then we are really bidding against a lot of teams for QBs. We still have the most ammo thanks to the Sheldon trade so there is still no excuse not to get up to #3.

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That's coming from a Vikings play by play guy, he said he heard from someone with a well respected opinion. I think he could certainly go there but again I think he likely leaves money on the table just like if he went to Denver or Arizona. Him going to the Vikings would be a worst case scenario because then we are really bidding against a lot of teams for QBs. We still have the most ammo thanks to the Sheldon trade so there is still no excuse not to get up to #3.

I'd have a newfound respect for Maccagnan if he dropped Mo, resigned Richardson in FA and then used his draft pick to move up for and land Rosen while signing Norwell and Jensen. 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Cousins is going to the highest bidder and that’s after they give up draft picks to the skins

21 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I am not highly pro or anti Cousins, I just want a good QB.

That said, lots of people talk about him as if he's a 35 year old who has maybe 1-2 serviceable years left. He's 29 years old, right in his prime.  He should have 5-6 seasons minimum before age starts taking its toll on performance.  5-6 seasons ain't short term.

Maybe after 5-6 years hack will be ready to get on the field??

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Cousins is going to the highest bidder and that’s after they give up draft picks to the skins

Cousins would need to agree to a new contract with the team prior to a deal being made though. I don't see a team giving up $34M plus at least a 3rd round pick for a 1 year rental. Cousins has already come out and said he'd play on the tag if franchised. 

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Cousins would need to agree to a new contract with the team prior to a deal being made though. I don't see a team giving up $34M plus at least a 3rd round pick for a 1 year rental. Cousins has already come out and said he'd play on the tag if franchised. 

Do you want Cousins or not?

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Do you want Cousins or not?

Of course I do, and would be willing to give up a pick for him but I don't see the benefit for Kirk to forego Free Agency when he can play on the tag and hit it next year. If he isn't signing a long term deal at the time of the trade I'm not willing to make that move.

20 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Can we wait until we have a big enough sample size before giving a GM a track record on drafting QBs? He has had a grand total of THREE drafts. 

Belichick drafted Brady, Garappolo, Cassel, and Brissett. He only drafted the greatest modern QB, possibly the greatest QB ever, and another QB who is primed to another top QB in the league. Want to know who else Belichick drafted? Rohan Davey, Kliff Kingsbury, Kevin O'Connell, Zac Robinson, and Ryan Mallett. Belichick has picked more bad QBs than good, so I guess his track record is bad when it comes to picking a QB.

No, I am not comparing Macc to Belichick, but I am pointing out how ridiculous it is to judge a GM's ability to find a QB after three drafts. If drafting a QB was easy, the Browns would have had a franchise QB by now. 

And his best pick of a QB wasn't even the first of 3 6th rds picks in 2000 they took Brady with the 2nd 6th rd pick.. That's luck not skill..;)

23 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

If by some miracle we could get Darnold, I might prefer that route, otherwise I'm not really interested in any of the others. So why not Cousins? And we have the money.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Highly unlikely.

Washington has $49M in cap space, and tagging Cousins would eat up $34M of it. So any big moves they'd want to make in free agency would be on ice until Cousins was resolved. Teams interested in him as a free agent could easily balk if draft picks became part of the deal. I'd expect the market to shrink, with remaining teams engaging in protracted negotiations while exploring other options. I would not want the Jets to hand over, say, a second-round pick then give Cousins $30M/year. I'd rather trade that pick to move up and get the second/third QB in the draft for around $7-8M/year. Other teams in the mix would be reevaluating their options, too. 

Or, they could just let him become a free agent, go about their business, and get the first comp pick in 2019. 

If Cousins is going to cost 30 mil I'd sign another FA vet Qb. And then draft somebody. There will be a good number of experienced Qbs available for one third of his price if not less. They might start in 2018 unless our draft choice wins the job in training camp. Re-signing McCown would then make sense but there could be upgrades over him who would not be super expensive. Look most experts in the NFL think Cousins is pretty good but not 30 million per good. 

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Cousins is NOT a top notch NFL QB. If he was the Redskins would cave and give him what he wants. He is a "good" QB, people need to stop acting like he is a franchise guy

The Redskins offered Cousins a contract last year that would have made him the second highest paid player in NFL history with the most guaranteed money for a quarterback ever. He turned them down.

This really isn't a matter of the Redskins not thinking he's a top notch quarterback. That argument is a complete fallacy and ignores the actions of both sides for the past few years.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Cousins is going to cost 30 mil I'd sign another FA vet Qb. And then draft somebody. There will be a good number of experienced Qbs available for one third of his price if not less. They might start in 2018 unless our draft choice wins the job in training camp. Re-signing McCown would then make sense but there could be upgrades over him who would not be super expensive. Look most experts in the NFL think Cousins is pretty good but not 30 million per good. 

Josh McCown says he'd like to return to the Jets after having his best statistical season

Jan 23, 2018
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

comment

Quarterback Josh McCown, who was noncommittal near the end of the season on whether he wanted to play in 2018, said Tuesday he has decided to continue his career and would like to return to the New York Jets.

"Right now, that's how it's looking," McCown said on the NFL Network's "Total Access" show. "At this time of the year, I go through those conversations with my family, talk with them through that, pray through that.

"But where we're at right now, I feel like I want to play. ... I'm looking forward to the next few months, seeing what happens, and I'll be ready to go."

McCown, who turns 39 on July 4, is a pending free agent after playing on a one-year contract that earned him $7.625 million, including playing-time bonuses.

The Jets have said they'd like him back, but they also left open the possibility they could explore other options. They will look at other free agents and the trade market. They also could draft a quarterback with the sixth overall pick.

Statistically, McCown enjoyed his best season in 2017. He set career highs in completion percentage (67.3), passing yards (2,926) and touchdown passes (18). He finished 11th with a 94.5 passer rating.

McCown said his surgically repaired left hand, fractured in Week 13, still is "a few weeks away" from being healthy.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Highly unlikely.

Washington has $49M in cap space, and tagging Cousins would eat up $34M of it. So any big moves they'd want to make in free agency would be on ice until Cousins was resolved. Teams interested in him as a free agent could easily balk if draft picks became part of the deal. I'd expect the market to shrink, with remaining teams engaging in protracted negotiations while exploring other options. I would not want the Jets to hand over, say, a second-round pick then give Cousins $30M/year. I'd rather trade that pick to move up and get the second/third QB in the draft for around $7-8M/year. Other teams in the mix would be reevaluating their options, too. 

Or, they could just let him become a free agent, go about their business, and get the first comp pick in 2019. 

More than that, if you want to FT a FA, doesn’t there have to be at least the semblance of seriousness or feasibility of keeping the player?

I brought it up a little a week or so ago, but this came up when NE tagged Cassell. They were able to rationalize it because Brady had just missed the entire prior season, even though everyone kind of knew they were tagging him just to trade him, probably because they already knew of at least one interested suitor (Pioli). 

Now this was under the prior CBA, and I don’t know if anything changed on that front. If it’s still in place, Washington would have a far greater rationalization right after not only trading for Alex Smith, but in offering him an extension on top of that. Everyone knows they’d only be tagging Cousins purely to get a draft pick in trade; that there’s a 0% chance they’d head into week 1 with both him and Smith on the roster. 

Assuming they’re permitted to tag Cousins, and since there’s still talk of it my guess is somehow they are, here’s how it’d go down:  they tag Cousins, and try to trade him in those first few days of free agency (or until they require his cap space to sign others; I think they have some short period of time after a new signing, like 24 hrs or something, to get back under the cap). Over this short span of time, if they can’t find anyone willing to fork over more than they’d get as a compensatory pick in 2019 (i.e. the trade value of a compensatory 4th rounder in 2018), then they simply revoke the franchise tag,m Cousins becomes an unfettered UFA, and Washington gets a 3rd round comp pick next year.

Archived