If I was the GM.

Villain The Foe

As you guys know I am very high on Baker Mayfield. However, if I was the GM in this current position we would need to turn this team around immediately with talent at key positions. This is what I would do if I was Mike Maccagnan. 

Needs: QB, OL, CB, OLB

Moves:

1. I'd sign Cousins to a 4 to 5 year contract

2. I would trade out of the 6th pick with Arizona (AZ needs a QB ) for their 1st and 2nd round picks. They would have a legit shot at 1 of the top 3 QB's to pick from. 

Draft picks

1st round: Tackle- Mike McGlinchey: Notre Dame

2nd round: Center- James Daniels: Iowa

2nd round: OLB- Dorance Armstrong Jr. Kansas

2nd round: CB- Mike Hughes: UCF

3rd round: WR- Anthony Miller: Memphis

4th round: QB- Kyle Lauletta: Richmond

5th round: G- Colby Gossett: Appalachian State

6th round: RB- Nyheim Hines: N.C. State

7th round: K- Eddie Pineiro: Florida

In this situation we have our starter at RT and Center, have a speedy athletic edge rusher, a Corner with huge potential, great cover skills and could start, a WR that could start in the slot, a future starting QB learning behind Cousins and solid development players at G and RB with a kicker who kicked an 81 yard field goal in practice. 

We would have provided a revamped offensive line for Cousins along with a new target to throw to, and we also provided talent to special teams as Hughes and Hines could contribute as returners in the kick/punt game and we bring in competition for the Kicker position. I think our punter had a pretty good year last year but we most definitely need a kicker. 

Signing Cousins and trading down in the draft could position us to win now as well as build for the future. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

As you guys know I am very high on Baker Mayfield. However, if I was the GM in this current position we would need to turn this team around immediately with talent at key positions. This is what I would do if I was Mike Maccagnan. 

Needs: QB, OL, CB, OLB

Moves:

1. I'd sign Cousins to a 4 to 5 year contract

2. I would trade out of the 6th pick with Arizona (AZ needs a QB ) for their 1st and 2nd round picks. They would have a legit shot at 1 of the top 3 QB's to pick from. 

Draft picks

1st round: Tackle- Mike McGlinchey: Notre Dame

2nd round: Center- James Daniels: Iowa

2nd round: OLB- Dorance Armstrong Jr. Kansas

2nd round: CB- Mike Hughes: UCF

3rd round: WR- Anthony Miller: Memphis

4th round: QB- Kyle Lauletta: Richmond

5th round: G- Colby Gossett: Appalachian State

6th round: RB- Nyheim Hines: N.C. State

7th round: K- Eddie Pineiro: Florida

In this situation we have our starter at RT and Center, have a speedy athletic edge rusher, a Corner with huge potential, great cover skills and could start, a WR that could start in the slot, a future starting QB learning behind Cousins and solid development players at G and RB with a kicker who kicked an 81 yard field goal in practice. 

We would have provided a revamped offensive line for Cousins along with a new target to throw to, and we also provided talent to special teams as Hughes and Hines could contribute as returners in the kick/punt game and we bring in competition for the Kicker position. I think our punter had a pretty good year last year but we most definitely need a kicker. 

Signing Cousins and trading down in the draft could position us to win now as well as build for the future. 

I basically love this. In fact i have made mocks in the past where we trade down with AZ to get their 15th and 47th (and i think i also had them giving us their 3rd).

Comments

1. Youd think we already address C before the draft, otherwise its a necessity to draft, which would stink. I’d have a really hard passing up on a sweet skill position player like Michel or Jones with the Center pick. 

2. Youve not gone in depth into other signings, which is fine. i would just hope that we have gotten Davis or signed another starting ILB and also acquired a starting caliber CB in FA.

3. I think its pretty fair that those prospects will actually be around where you have them being picked.

4. It really is completely possible to fix this team this offseason. Dear God can this team finally do things right!

Fairly strong effort. Assuming we'll trade down is always a little... presumptuous, but i'll run with it... 

Cousins... fine. McGlinchey, Miller, and Lauletta -- yes please! ...Armstrong, meh. 

Need to see the rest of your FA class. 

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Lauletta won’t be there past 2nd round, and Armstrong I could see sneaking in end of 1st round.

Not a soul knew Lauletta just a week ago when he was ranked between a 6th round pick and a undrafted rookie free agent. 

Could he be picked in the 2nd round? Sure. But the level of certainty is where i scratch my head.

Then again, you could be right. If a bust like Josh Allen can be paraded around as a possible #1 pick then Lauletta could most likely be gone by the 2nd. Atleast from what I've been able to see, Lauletta is worthy of a second round over Allen being the 1st qb off the board.

How do you feel about the pickups though, since none of us know when any of these players will be drafted?

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Not a soul knew Lauletta just a week ago when he was ranked between a 6th round pick and a undrafted rookie free agent. 

Could he be picked in the 2nd round? Sure. But the level of certainty is where i scratch my head.

Then again, you could be right. If a bust like Josh Allen can be paraded around as a possible #1 pick then Lauletta could most likely be gone by the 2nd. Atleast from what I've been able to see, Lauletta is worthy of a second round over Allen being the 1st qb off the board.

How do you feel about the pickups though, since none of us know when any of these players will be drafted?

If the Jets walked away with McGlinchey Armstrong and Lauletta and a extra 2019 1st rounder I’d be thrilled, BUT I’d personally rather sign a FA C, and draft say Sonny Michel where you drafted that C.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

If the Jets walked away with McGlinchey Armstrong and Lauletta and a extra 2019 1st rounder I’d be thrilled, BUT I’d personally rather sign a FA C, and draft say Sonny Michel where you drafted that C.

How about giving me Nelson over McGlinchy.  From what I've read about the guy he's a sure thing and they're already even talking about him as a HOFer.

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about giving me Nelson over McGlinchy.  From what I've read about the guy he's a sure thing and they're already even talking about him as a HOFer.

Nelson is the equivalent of Leo and Adams, another great can’t miss player at a position you draft in the 3rd-5th round no thanks.

Every Jet fan and their momma is all set for the jets to throw a boatload of money at Kirk Cousins and that kid has played in exactly 1 playoff game in his career. I am more interested in what will happen with A J McCarron's status in a few days as it relates to being a free agent . The Jets need to draft a QB from this class and sign someone young enough with starting experience who's still an unknown .  If McCarron is declared a free agent, I offer him a 2 yr contract and the opportunity to win the starting job against whoever is drafted . I have 2 targets i'm hoping will be available in the 2nd round . The running back Chubb from Georgia and he OT Okorafor from Western Michigan . My other hope is that the cowboys don't franchise Lawrence and he takes the money the Jets hopefully throw at him.

Definitely onboard with the OL-heavy/focused plan... Of course QB is the most important piece in the NFL but no one is getting anywhere without an offensive line. The Jets need at least 2 new pieces there. I will be so happy if they address it this year, even if it means they get ripped for ignoring a skill position. They have to get that line shaped up. 

19 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Chance Warmack.  Jonathon Cooper.  Two can't-miss prospects at OG.  I used to believe in that.  Time and experience have made me a skeptic, if not a downright cynic.  

If the Jets were to pass on a QB in the 1st round, the QB I am interested in is Tanner Lee from Nebraska . He's just as athletic as Darnold with far superior arm talent that gets him n trouble . kid needs a good QB coach and a season behind a good starting QB .   

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If the Jets were to pass on a QB in the 1st round, the QB I am interested in is Tanner Lee from Nebraska . He's just as athletic as Darnold with far superior arm talent that gets him n trouble . kid needs a good QB coach and a season behind a good starting QB .   

He absolutely sucked in every Senior practice and didn’t play well at all in the actual game.

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

He absolutely sucked at Nebraska last year also, but I like the kid so there's that .

He’s got a strong arm. Idk what conference Nebraska plays in and I can’t say I know much about him outside of the Senior Bowl Updates. Maybe you’re on to something. Idk. I just know he got picked off a lot in practice.

26 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s got a strong arm. Idk what conference Nebraska plays in and I can’t say I know much about him outside of the Senior Bowl Updates. Maybe you’re on to something. Idk. I just know he got picked off a lot in practice.

Tanner lee has the same problem most kids with huge arm talent does at this stage of their careers . He thinks he can throw the ball anywhere and get it completed . It's a talent and a curse if it's not controlled and at the college level, it's usually not controlled .

What I like about the kid is he's articulate, has great arm talent and a super quick release (IMO) once he decides where he's going with the ball . He's not a mobile QB, but he's not a statue either in the pocket . He ran Mike Riley's offense which has some pro concepts and gets the QB under center every now and again . 

This kid has starting NFL QB skill set and he needs a good coach to work with him on his decision making and on knowing when is the proper time in a game to trust that big arm of his .

IMO, Tanner Lee has a better skill set than Josh Rosen .

41 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Tanner lee has the same problem most kids with huge arm talent does at this stage of their careers . He thinks he can throw the ball anywhere and get it completed . It's a talent and a curse if it's not controlled and at the college level, it's usually not controlled .

What I like about the kid is he's articulate, has great arm talent and a super quick release (IMO) once he decides where he's going with the ball . He's not a mobile QB, but he's not a statue either in the pocket . He ran Mike Riley's offense which has some pro concepts and gets the QB under center every now and again . 

This kid has starting NFL QB skill set and he needs a good coach to work with him on his decision making and on knowing when is the proper time in a game to trust that big arm of his .

IMO, Tanner Lee has a better skill set than Josh Rosen .

So any team with a coach not named todd bowles... the kid may have a better skill set that could be developed, but Rosen is farther along and will not need the developmental hackenburg period. 

I remember when the Gators lost to LSU this year.  They lost by 1 point which was an extra point missed by Eddie.  The whole crowd was chanting Eddie before the kick and then he missed and everyone was like, wait what?  He missed?

Good times!

On 2/5/2018 at 3:31 AM, Tinstar said:

Every Jet fan and their momma is all set for the jets to throw a boatload of money at Kirk Cousins and that kid has played in exactly 1 playoff game in his career. I am more interested in what will happen with A J McCarron's status in a few days as it relates to being a free agent . The Jets need to draft a QB from this class and sign someone young enough with starting experience who's still an unknown .  If McCarron is declared a free agent, I offer him a 2 yr contract and the opportunity to win the starting job against whoever is drafted . I have 2 targets i'm hoping will be available in the 2nd round . The running back Chubb from Georgia and he OT Okorafor from Western Michigan . My other hope is that the cowboys don't franchise Lawrence and he takes the money the Jets hopefully throw at him.

I agree about the boatload of money, something that im not in agreement with. However, kirk cousins is a good qb which is something that no one can say about aj mccarron.

I personally want baker mayfield but its quite clear what this front office needs to do and that is to win this year. Cousins is a more realistic option in  such a scenario

On 2/4/2018 at 12:27 AM, Lupz27 said:

Lauletta won’t be there past 2nd round, and Armstrong I could see sneaking in end of 1st round.

Agreed. I was told before the Senior Bowl that NE had Lauletta on their radar. Guess they knew something. I can see the Pats grabbing him at the end of the 2nd round.

SO much hinges on what happens with Cousins. I love Cousins in college and would like to see him in Green and White but if he goes to Denver I'm fine with that too. Then we resign McCown and draft a kid (hopefully Josh Allen) to study under him. I think McCown would make an excellent teacher.

7 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I only saw Tanner Lee in the Senior Bowl but I was NOT impressed. Based on that I would want no part of him.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree about the boatload of money, something that im not in agreement with. However, kirk cousins is a good qb which is something that no one can say about aj mccarron.

I personally want baker mayfield but its quite clear what this front office needs to do and that is to win this year. Cousins is a more realistic option in  such a scenario

I don't think I said that Kirk cousins was a bad QB . My problem is with trying to build a team and throwing that much cap money at that particular player . The Jets need to stay the course and sign younger free agents like the players they have been while using the draft to add the players that will make up the core of the roster hopefully . McCarron's contract won't come anyway close to what Cousins will command and the kid is 3 years younger .  I can draft a QB, sign Mccarron to a 2 yr contract and continue building my roster . Kirk Cousins contract is going to prevent whoever signs him from adding quality free agents .

On 2/6/2018 at 11:49 PM, Tinstar said:

I don't think I said that Kirk cousins was a bad QB . My problem is with trying to build a team and throwing that much cap money at that particular player . The Jets need to stay the course and sign younger free agents like the players they have been while using the draft to add the players that will make up the core of the roster hopefully . McCarron's contract won't come anyway close to what Cousins will command and the kid is 3 years younger .  I can draft a QB, sign Mccarron to a 2 yr contract and continue building my roster . Kirk Cousins contract is going to prevent whoever signs him from adding quality free agents .

And I dont think I said that Id pay Cousins a ridiculous amount of money either. I didnt mention money at all actually. 

With that said, lets talk about the scenario at hand. Cousins isnt a bad qb, you're correct. What do you think about my idea?

Its clear that we both wouldnt throw 30 million at cousins. 

I don't think the Jets have to win per say as much as they have to continue to show improvement while adding more pieces to the roster. I think the staff and front office would be safe with an 8-8 record even if they missed the playoffs yet again . As far as Cousins go, I think it's in everyone's best interest if he went somewhere else . He would be by far the best QB the Jets have had in forever, but the cost I think will be detrimental to a rebuilding roster .             

Archived