Forget Cousins - Trade for Foles

nycdan

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

our coaches would not have used him the same as Peterson. You realize that Peterson called plays from the "Chip Kelly - 2013" offense that Foles played so well in. No way Bowles would have thought to go back and call plays that a guy executes well from past seasons under a different Coach.

Don't see Foles working here, not with Bowles

You re-raise an interesting point.  Who *would* work here with Bowles?  Is the list as short as 'Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees'?  Maybe another 3-5 guys?  If half of the starting QBs in the league or more would not be successful here then the odds of drafting a kid who will work out went down from whatever the league norm is to a lot less.  

IF we believe that, then are we okay with the Jets choosing to retain a HC who will make potentially successful QBs less effective in his system?  All this talk about figuring out which QB could work well here is the wrong debate.  It should be 'how do we get a coaching staff that will allow a talented QB to flourish?'.  Until we believe that, we are crippled in our ability to build a winning roster.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You re-raise an interesting point.  Who *would* work here with Bowles?  Is the list as short as 'Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees'?  Maybe another 3-5 guys?  If half of the starting QBs in the league or more would not be successful here then the odds of drafting a kid who will work out went down from whatever the league norm is to a lot less.  

IF we believe that, then are we okay with the Jets choosing to retain a HC who will make potentially successful QBs less effective in his system?  All this talk about figuring out which QB could work well here is the wrong debate.  It should be 'how do we get a coaching staff that will allow a talented QB to flourish?'.  Until we believe that, we are crippled in our ability to build a winning roster.

I meant more along the lines of the players having a higher level of success with a HC who still looks like he is in his rookie coaching season.

Bowles is the Hackenburg of Coaches.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We need to draft a QB who will succeed with most coaches.  The QB will likely be here longer than the HC is, and probably the GM too. 

Easier said than done, but if the Browns draft Josh Allen, it's at least possible. 

I haven't caught up on this thread at all, and I expected something like this to come up, but was I really the only one who, throughout this game, thought Foles had some really awful throws?  Thankfully, the Pats defense was so unbelievably atrocious last night that it made no difference, but there was time after time that he had guys wide open where the ball was either totally off the mark, or just a ridiculous lollipop throw that the WR had to completely stop for.  That's not the kind of stuff you'll ever get away with on any degree of a regular basis.  Don't get me wrong, he's very good for a backup QB, but he's already shown in the past he's not meant to be a real starter in this league, and no one needs to repeat that mistake.

1 hour ago, ECURB said:

The Online argument is being over stated. A great QB can make an OLine look good by calling the right audibles and getting the ball out quick

Maybe...they still graded out as the top OL heading the season and Kelce graded out top OLman in football per PFF. Brooks #6 and Johnson #9. The talent was there.

@Mogglez

I have to say that the SB is the most competitive game in NFL. Some QBs are great in the regular season and struggle in the playoffs. This guy at 29 yrs old came off the bench and played virtually flawless in the playoffs and SB. He was calm, cool and collective. Through some passes that were just amazing. Great touch. Threw on the money on the run. You can't take that away from him. If he needs a specific system to win, develop it so he can be successful. MVP of the SB. I'd take him in a heartbeat. This guys a humble winner.

23 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

So did Flacco (and against a good defense).  And Flacco is better than Foles.  And no one here is wishing the Jets had Joe Flacco the last 5 years.

This is just a typical overreaction thread.

And by the way, they were only the underdogs because of him.  They were the #1 seed, after all.

And yet, he went on to be the Super Bowl MVP....

Not usually big on chasing after back ups who show up big for a short period of time. But, what can’t be denied is that Foles has previously made the pro bowl.

And this playoffs and super bowl, he wasn’t just throwing it up there and hitting wide open targets. He was threading needles, fitting throws jnto tight windows, and showed great pocket awareness. 

Foles deserves a little more credit than he is getting.  Is he Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?  No.  Can you win a Super Bowl with the guy?  Yes.  Should we go out and get him?  No.... We do not have the line he needs to be successful. 

All that said, the guy deserves the accolades.  He played great for the Eagles coming in to mop up for Wentz.  The coaches figured out a way to set up a system that played to his strengths.  IMAGINE THAT!  A coaching staff that changes to get the most out of its players.

I love Jet Nation.

Foles is a one hit wonder....all the way to a SB victory against NE. 

Jets don't have a good enough O-line for him....so another QB doesn't need a good O-line and they will be great. 

Joe Flacco, Matt Cassel....he's Not either of them.

Need to draft our QB....well that's scrap shoot because you Never know if they can transition into the NFL. Although the Jets should draft a QB also.

He needs a better coach than Bowles to be good....so any other QB will be good in spite of Bowles.

Jets can't waste a decent DP on him....Some teams are consistently very good without top draft picks every year. Ex. NE.

Bottom line is the Jets should be able to get Foles without selling the farm. Cousins will get way more than he's worth. The dude just played in the biggest game in the NFL, went up against the most consistent team in the NFL in the last decade or so. Went up against Brady who threw for over 500yds. and beat him. Had a PLAYOFF passer rating of 113, completion rating of 72% against the best teams in the league, coming off the bench. 

Yeah he probably stinks, just a one hit wonder, a jag,  and the Jets should just forget about it.

On 2/5/2018 at 4:55 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Never started 16 games. Runs a specific kind of offense that the Jets aren’t installing for him. Need to give up assets for him. No thanks. If the Jets wanted Foles, he’s been available a few times now. He has played well the last few weeks, no doubt, but he’s still a middling QB that isn’t going to put this team over the top. 

People are forgetting what Foles did in 2013. The guy was phenomenal (top 3 QB that year). After watching what he did in the postseason, I'm willing to take a chance on him (late 2nd rounder).

It's not an overreaction to want a QB who played lights out football on the biggest stage ever. He not only won the Super Bowl, but he beat the greatest QB/Coach combination in football history. He marched his team down the field after the Patriots took the lead. Building a lead is much easier than retaking the lead. With that said, I do not want to mortgage the farm to get him. I'd love to have Big Dick Nick holding down the fort while we develop our rookie QB.

3 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

People are forgetting what Foles did in 2013. The guy was phenomenal (top 3 QB that year). After watching what he did in the postseason, I'm willing to take a chance on him (late 2nd rounder).

The Eagles aren’t trading him any time soon. If the Jets fail to address the QB (Cousins/6th pick) then they have bigger problems than trying to trade for Nick Foles. 

On 2/5/2018 at 8:45 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

Foles is a system QB. He needs that system to play well. 

You mean like he needs an actual offense line ? Ha. I agree, he was protected by 1 of the best lines in the nfl. I doubt he would play anywhere near as good behind 1 of the 3 worst offensive lines in NFL

7 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I disagree. If the Eagles are offered a 2nd round pick for a guy that will presumably rot on their bench behind Wentz - pretty sure they're taking that deal

Wentz likely won’t be 100% at the start of the season. They have zero reason to trade him any time soon. Especially if Wentz isn’t quite right when he comes back. It’s common sense. 

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Foles deserves a little more credit than he is getting.  Is he Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?  No.  Can you win a Super Bowl with the guy?  Yes.  Should we go out and get him?  No.... We do not have the line he needs to be successful. 

All that said, the guy deserves the accolades.  He played great for the Eagles coming in to mop up for Wentz.  The coaches figured out a way to set up a system that played to his strengths.  IMAGINE THAT!  A coaching staff that changes to get the most out of its players.

I don't think anyone here is saying he's undeserving of accolades.  We're responding to the thread title, which says we should go get Foles, which we absolutely should not.  And you seem to agree with that assessment. 

He'll make a perfect Denver Bronco. 

Archived