Christian Hackenberg's QB Guru says....

pdxgreen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BigO said:

Hackenburg doesn’t need a quarterback coach, he needs a psychologist. He’s suffering from PTSD from all the hits he took while he was at Penn State. I remember him his first year, he was phenomenal he was being touted as being the first pick coming out of the draft when he came out but then it all fell apart. He has never recovered.  Even O’Brien passed on Hack who he had great success with. That speaks volumes. You’d think a coach who was desperate for a QB he’d had success with would jump at the chance to take him. Instead, he avoided Hack like the plague. Mac needs to go to St. Patrick’s cathedral, get in a confession box and admit he botched this puck and has been keeping Hack around to save face. It’s time to move on. 

1) do we know O'B had final say on Houston's draft? Doubt it. pretty sure Smith the GM did.

2) They had just signed Osweiler to that huge contract

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

where does it say sit him through his rookie contract (which is for 4 yrs)? 

The Jets QB chart is in all probability going to look like this next year.

1) Cousins-McCown-hack (maybe)

20 McCown -rookie at 6- hack (maybe)

Under what scenario does Hack get off the bench?

I’ll say its been alarming that he hasn’t been able to even get some regular season snaps. But who knows if its because he’s been that bad or thats on the coach.

I’ll say this. Hackenberg in the preseason didn’t impress or look as bad as people were saying. He looked like a rookie, finding his way. The second pick 6 of the Giants game, was all on a receivers drop. His first was horrible, but even McCown threw an equally bad throw that was dropped but would have been a sure fire pick 6 against the Eagles.

Even the reports of training camp for the most part had McCown, Hack, and Petty all neck and neck, which isnt saying much but does provide some perspective. 

The problem is, they have no answer at the QB position and giving Hackenberg the keys now is too much of a gamble because we have nothing to go on.

We still need to sign Cousins or draft one in the first. If Hackenberg shocks us all, then thats a high line problem to have.

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

As I said earlier post. Training Camp. That's his opportunity to show how much, if any, he's progressed...Maybe he hasn't..Maybe he has..I'm still waiting for someone to say "cut him now". 

We just saw in the playoffs a few QBs (Keenum, Foles) that have been written off only to get a shot in the right situation and they excelled. Is that going to be CH?  Who knows? Odds say, no. But at least allow Bates, who has a good reputation as a QB coach, to have a 2nd yr working with him

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Who gives a sh*t?  What does that mean?  So maybe he was overdrafted by a round or two..Who cares NOW? 

So Mccagnan gives you power of attorney, you're the Jets GM, are you are releasing Hackenberg today, next month, when? 

It means he is epically and that the draft picks was epically bad bad that is what it means.  Only the utter shmucks, won;t name names here.... are still clinging to him being anything at all and refusing to admit they were HORRIBLY wrong about him.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

As I said earlier post. Training Camp. That's his opportunity to show how much, if any, he's progressed...Maybe he hasn't..Maybe he has..I'm still waiting for someone to say "cut him now". 

I'm more than happy to say it.  Cut him now.

If Bowles wasn’t so scared to risk losing by 30 instead of 17, he could have went with  hack for a game or 2. Just to get an idea. Can we count on him as a possible #2? Or even a 3 lol. Ect. But Todd bolwes thought petty was a little better, and we were battling for that crucial 6th win ?lol

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It means he is epically and that the draft picks was epically bad bad that is what it means.  Only the utter shmucks, won;t name names here.... are still clinging to him being anything at all and refusing to admit they were HORRIBLY wrong about him.

And if he was a 3rd round pick..........there goes that "tragic" stat.

I don't know many schmucks here, including me, that are saying he is the answer. Many, present company included, are only saying just see how it plays out. Signed, schmuck

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Who gives a sh*t?  What does that mean?  So maybe he was overdrafted by a round or two..Who cares NOW? 

So Mccagnan gives you power of attorney, you're the Jets GM, are you are releasing Hackenberg today, next month, when? 

Today...

Listening to Palmer  he was effusive about Hackenberg's character; he said nothing when it came to a single encouraging detail regarding Hackenberg's football development. 

26 minutes ago, C Mart said:

1) do we know O'B had final say on Houston's draft? Doubt it. pretty sure Smith the GM did.

Of course he didn’t have final say. What coach does. O’Brien was totally sold on Osweiler and did nothing to persuade Houston brass in going after Hack who was there for the taking. Obviously O’Brien saw things in Hacks game since he left Penn State that mortified him. Why is it so hard for everyone to move on from Hack? We’re in no position to be playing patty cake with this guy. Maybe one day he surfaces but we can’t wait around for it to unfold. Even at this point Hack isnt even a viable option as a back QB. At best he’s a 3rd string QB that rarely dresses or is placed on the practice squad. Not exactly a vote in confidence. 

19 minutes ago, C Mart said:

But it's not is it. 

It's not what?  A good start?  

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

We just saw in the playoffs a few QBs (Keenum, Foles) that have been written off only to get a shot in the right situation and they excelled. Is that going to be CH?  Who knows? Odds say, no. But at least allow Bates, who has a good reputation as a QB coach, to have a 2nd yr working with him

I don't think they should cut him now.  Why would you cut anybody until you have to?  They can work with him all they want, but I am not holding my breath.  Foles and Keenum were a 3rd rounder and UDFA.  By their 2nd year in the league Foles had 16 starts and Keenum 8.  Hackenberg has not seen a snap despite having the QBs in front of him both ineffective and injured.  At one point in 2016, they put previously benched Fitzpatrick to avoid Hackenberg seeing the field.  It think the guy has only dressed for 4 games.

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

My question is, will he do enough to be worth keeping a 3rd QB around?  He certainly hasn't so far.  

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And if he was a 3rd round pick..........there goes that "tragic" stat.

I don't know many schmucks here, including me, that are saying he is the answer. Many, present company included, are only saying just see how it plays out. Signed, schmuck

If he was a 3rd round pick perhaps Deion Jones would be a NY Jet.  2016 All- rookie team,  2017 Pro Bowl

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's not what?  A good start?  

I don't think they should cut him now.  Why would you cut anybody until you have to?  They can work with him all they want, but I am not holding my breath.  Foles and Keenum were a 3rd rounder and UDFA.  By their 2nd year in the league Foles had 16 starts and Keenum 8.  Hackenberg has not seen a snap despite having the QBs in front of him both ineffective and injured.  At one point in 2016, they put previously benched Fitzpatrick to avoid Hackenberg seeing the field.  It think the guy has only dressed for 4 games.

My question is, will he do enough to be worth keeping a 3rd QB around?  He certainly hasn't so far.  

No he hasn't.  If I had to bet on it I suspect he'll make the team simply because he was a 2nd round pick

Hack has looked awful to this point and that's very unlikely to change.  With that said, short of the Jets getting Cousins, there's very little reason for the team to not give him one last chance this year in camp.  Even if they draft a QB at 6 (or higher), he doesn't necessarily need to be the day one starter if he isn't ready to be.  If the Jets end up looking to kill some time while the new kid gets ready, there's an outside chance Hack could be the guy.  Probably won't happen, and a better chance he'll be the #3 QB, regardless if they end up addressing the position via FA or the draft, but might as well find out for sure.

So I am supposed to believe that Macc is a genius with an eye for undeveloped talent? I'm supposed to believe that Todd Bowles is this brilliant guy slowly feeding a raw undeveloped QB the knowledge to become an elite NFL QB? HUH? Yeah and I got this bridge I wanna sell. Its a little old but you can still use it. Any interest?

49 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ah, this was our plan all along.  Draft him and sit him through his rookie contract.  Then we can start playing him just in time for him to hit free agency.  This should be our plan at every position.  It's a shame nobody wants to develop players anymore.

Lol then why not just sign or trade for a veteran QB? Save the draft pick, save the wasted roster spots, save the questions, save the humiliation, save the risked job security of GM and HC, and save the lost seasons where they passed up on others and sucked while waiting. 

31 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Today...

Listening to Palmer  he was effusive about Hackenberg's character; he said nothing when it came to a single encouraging detail regarding Hackenberg's football development. 

no but....

"And I think Christian is still a guy who will play in this league and I’m really excited because this is the biggest offseason of his life. He’s going to get an opportunity and I think he’s going to be a kid who runs with it."

And cutting him now is just stupid. He's not hindering the team. Like Palmer said this is the biggest offseason of his life, this is probably his last chance to show what he can do.

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

So I am supposed to believe that Macc is a genius with an eye for undeveloped talent? I'm supposed to believe that Todd Bowles is this brilliant guy slowly feeding a raw undeveloped QB the knowledge to become an elite NFL QB? HUH? Yeah and I got this bridge I wanna sell. Its a little old but you can still use it. Any interest?

No. It’s not Bowles. It’s the QB coaches. That’s their job/responsibility. 

11 minutes ago, C Mart said:

perhaps

Yeah perhaps.  IMO it was a no brainer.  He was taken at 52, right behind Hack.  It would have been OK to  take G Cody Whitehair, who was selected 56, and was also on the NFL All-rookie team.

Funny story.  At the time of the draft I was drinking beer with my adult son on the back porch.  When pick 51 came up  I was yelling for Jones.  Kid said "This is the Jets, they'll Take Hackenberg"    I said"GOD NO"

After the pick was made, he burst out laughing, I dove into the pool fully clothed.  LOL   Bad day

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol then why not just sign or trade for a veteran QB? Save the draft pick, save the wasted roster spots, save the questions, save the humiliation, save the risked job security of GM and HC, and save the lost seasons where they passed up on others and sucked while waiting. 

Why trade for a FA?  They can just overpay a sh*tty old vet QB.  Can't they?

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

No. It’s not Bowles. It’s the QB coaches. That’s their job/responsibility. 

He got his first QB coach fired.  Bates is getting kicked upstairs.  It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why trade for a FA?  They can just overpay a sh*tty old vet QB.  Can't they?

He got his first QB coach fired.  Bates is getting kicked upstairs.  It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

HE did?  LOL. Ok. I thought it was Fitz going back to being Fitz again. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, wasn't the guy's stated job to develop Hackenberg?  If Hackenberg had developed, even slightly, would Fitzpatrick being Fitzpatrick have mattered to any of us?

WT? It was his 1st yr. I already posted they said they were going to take there time with him. 

Patullo was Gailey’s guy. When Gailey left, retired, fired whatever Patullo followed. 

22 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

no but....

"And I think Christian is still a guy who will play in this league and I’m really excited because this is the biggest offseason of his life. He’s going to get an opportunity and I think he’s going to be a kid who runs with it."

And cutting him now is just stupid. He's not hindering the team. Like Palmer said this is the biggest offseason of his life, this is probably his last chance to show what he can do.

There is nothing in that that tells me Jordan is saying anything of substance other than Hackenberg will try really, really hard.

Sanchez starts as a rookie - "The Jets threw Sanchez to the lions way too early."

Hackenberg sits for two years - "The Jets have no idea how to develop a QB."

Some QB are ready out of the gate, others take years to develop, and some not at all. Hackenberg is clearly not the out of the gate type. The Jets are admitting that Hackenberg is not close to being NFL ready, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that. The worst case scenario is that we wasted a 2nd round draft pick. He doesn't cost much in both terms of money and resources. The third QB is not hogging up a roster spot or preventing anyone from playing. If the Jets thought that Hackenberg was a lost cause, they would have played him in some games so that they could justify his release to the fans. Is anyone going to cry when Petty is released? No. He showed his true colors. They are protecting Hackenberg as a long term project. 

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

WT? It was his 1st yr. I already posted they said they were going to take there time with him. 

Patullo was Gailey’s guy. When Gailey left, retired, fired whatever Patullo followed. 

Gailey was 145 years old and when they hired the staff, Patullo was the heir apparent. I certainly read that at least as often as I read that the Jets planned to have Hackenberg sit on draft day.

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Sanchez starts as a rookie - "The Jets threw Sanchez to the lions way too early."

Hackenberg sits for two years - "The Jets have no idea how to develop a QB."

Some QB are ready out of the gate, others take years to develop, and some not at all. Hackenberg is clearly not the out of the gate type. The Jets are admitting that Hackenberg is not close to being NFL ready, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that. The worst case scenario is that we wasted a 2nd round draft pick. He doesn't cost much in both terms of money and resources. The third QB is not hogging up a roster spot or preventing anyone from playing. If the Jets thought that Hackenberg was a lost cause, they would have played him in some games so that they could justify his release to the fans. Is anyone going to cry when Petty is released? No. He showed his true colors. They are protecting Hackenberg as a long term project. 

Did anybody cry when they cut Tahj Boyd? 

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

ok cool. still no reason to cut him right now. let another off season play out. 

Pretty much. We all know how this will end, but there is no reason to end it prematurely. If we sign Cousins and sign some washed up vet as a backup, it doesn't hurt to keep Hack around and see if some miracle happens and he turns into a QB. 

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Gailey was 145 years old and when they hired the staff, Patullo was the heir apparent. I certainly read that at least as often as I read that the Jets planned to have Hackenberg sit on draft day.

I don’t recall reading any quote by a Jets official that Patullo was OC in waiting. But that’s ok. No biggie. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

let's not let the facts get in the way of the hatred and the agendas

Archived