Patsferential treatment

greenwichjetfan

With the Eagles winning and the Malcom Butler stuff, no one is talking about the fact that this game was once again slanted towards the pats. the two most aggregious examples?

(1) The clear and obvious PI on the Eagles 2pt conversion attempt which went uncalled

(2) the play that no one is talking about because the commentators quickly brushed it aside and the broadcast didn't show a replay of it: with the pats trailing in the 4th quarter, Amendola catches a pass and runs towards the sideline, but an eagles defender stops Amendola, holds him up from the ground, and strips the ball from him while still inbounds and before any whistle for stoppage of forward progress. The ref is standing right on top of it watching it all unfold, and let's the play go. But for some reason, the moment the ball is stripped clean, he hurriedly starts flailing his arms and blowing his whistle and 'marking the play dead' based on forward progress being halted. AFTER THE BALL IS OUT.

I rewatched it 10 times. I'm bothered by the fact that no one has brought this up across the internet. Around 11:20 left in the 4th.

Listen for the whistle. Watch for when the referee "blows the play dead." It's disgusting.

I'm fully convinced that the reason that the Ertz review took so long was because they were trying to find a way...any way, to justify overturning it, but ultimately realized that there was no way to. Either he was a runner who broke the plane, or they commit corporate suicide by calling it incomplete even after he clearly possessed the ball, took 2 steps, and covered 6 yards with the ball firmly in his possession.

Kraft is still in the refs pockets. Chris ******* collinsqorth of all people said during the live broadcast: "you think they're gonna get gronk for one of those push offs? Not a chance".

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stepping aside and looking at this objectively, this whole claim raises some interesting questions. In all sports there are always questionable calls for no other reason than referring/umpiring is hard, really hard. The action is faster than the human eye oft times. To tear apart calls on film and after the fact is unfair. Just ask Armando Galaragga and Jim Joyce.

So let's assume that the Patriots are somehow favored by the league to the point that it creates victories for them. There are only a few reasons why this would be:

1. It is like wrestling and roller derby and the sport is not much more than a phony spectacle designed for TV ratings, ticket sales and merchandise marketing. Perhaps this is what everyone is claiming, in which case, why is it a team in New England and not a major market?  
  2. Someone pays someone else a whole lot of money and is able to somehow keep it quiet over period of years. Who gets paid? the refs? Goodell? Not sure how to practically make this work.
  3. A nefarious fellow visits the right parties with Luca Brasi and "convinces" people to take action. In this day and age?

There is a rule of life and that rule is, when looking for the cause and effect of questionable activity, follow the money

So I am not criticizing or acting the role of contrarian but I am legitimately asking if there is any truth to this, if you were able to follow the money, where does it lead?

While the whistle in the video you show does look questionable, if the NFl/ officials were trying to fix the game for the Pats the two reviewed Philly TD's could have, based on what has occurred all season, very easily have been called incomplete in replay

5 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Stepping aside and looking at this objectively, this whole claim raises some interesting questions. In all sports there are always questionable calls for no other reason than referring/umpiring is hard, really hard. The action is faster than the human eye oft times. To tear apart calls on film and after the fact is unfair. Just ask Armando Galaragga and Jim Joyce.

So let's assume that the Patriots are somehow favored by the league to the point that it creates victories for them. There are only a few reasons why this would be:

1. It is like wrestling and roller derby and the sport is not much more than a phony spectacle designed for TV ratings, ticket sales and merchandise marketing. Perhaps this is what everyone is claiming, in which case, why is it a team in New England and not a major market?  
  2. Someone pays someone else a whole lot of money and is able to somehow keep it quiet over period of years. Who gets paid? the refs? Goodell? Not sure how to practically make this work.
  3. A nefarious fellow visits the right parties with Luca Brasi and "convinces" people to take action. In this day and age?

There is a rule of life and that rule is, when looking for the cause and effect of questionable activity, follow the money

So I am not criticizing or acting the role of contrarian but I am legitimately asking if there is any truth to this, if you were able to follow the money, where does it lead?

Just as to#1, the patsies* run started in 2001, directly after 911. They come out onto the field in new red, white and blue uni’s, and begin winning almost immediately. Just saying?

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

To be honest, I think the Eagles got some calls favoring them as well. 

I think that the NFL has heard the claims of fans around the league about bad calls, PATS etc and knew if they overturned the Ertz play, that would be Armageddon and yes the Eagles got 1 or 2 good no calls as did the Pats.  It was refreshing to have fewer penalties.  Just watching Gronk, Brady and co call for interference all season is ridiculous.

if anything this SB was slanted toward Philly, you can't watch that play you posted and think that play shouldn't have been blown dead not to mention the Philly defender is out of bounds when stripping him.  the 2 big replays both went Philly's way and those types of plays were called the other way all season long.  I believe they were the right call in what a catch should be but according to the NFLs insane catch rules both could have been overturned.

6 hours ago, 20andOut said:

While the whistle in the video you show does look questionable, if the NFl/ officials were trying to fix the game for the Pats the two reviewed Philly TD's could have, based on what has occurred all season, very easily have been called incomplete in replay

It would have been the end of the NFL as we know if either were overturned. They were both clearly catches. Making the right call is not favoring the Eagles.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

It would have been the end of the NFL as we know if either were overturned. They were both clearly catches. Making the right call is not favoring the Eagles.

by logic both were catches but the NFL catch rule is illogical.  Plays like those were not called catches all year long.  Both could have been overturned, the first one probably should have been overturned.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/5-calls-patriots-fans-can-use-blame-refs-super-bowl-loss-170237140.html

I find quite a lot of this article objectionable, but look at the image under Point 5 (posted below), of Hogan being taken out on the Hail Mary play. If the refs wanted ANY reason to give NE one more chance, this is a pretty clear, incontrovertible penalty for illegal contact, if nothing else. Yet it wasn't called.

DVPjGkQXcAAqClT.jpg

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

To be honest, I think the Eagles got some calls favoring them as well. 

Yeah they hit gronk early on a pass break up and got away with it. Overall the game was basically fair. 

What continues to be an issue is you can't celebrate a touchdown. 

It used to be you looked for the ref signal  

Now you have to wait for the video replay 

1 hour ago, Jetfan13 said:

Just as to#1, the patsies* run started in 2001, directly after 911. They come out onto the field in new red, white and blue uni’s, and begin winning almost immediately. Just saying?

I thought I was the only one who had this same exact thought...  America on the brink of war, in need of some “Patriots”

7 minutes ago, ID. said:

I thought I was the only one who had this same exact thought...  America on the brink of war, in need of some “Patriots”

yes, thousands of people lost their lives in a terrorist attack and while the week 2 games were cancelled Paul Tagliabue brought his henchman together and decided "we are going to make the Patriots a dynasty!" to make everyone feel better.  Please stop it guys.  The Pats are great, yes they get the calls sometimes and maybe it feels like all the time but good teams usually get the benefit of the doubt more than bad teams outside of when the old Raiders were good.  if the league wanted to fix games we'd have seen Super Bowls by now and in that Feb 2002 SB it would have been Jets vs. Giants or Jets vs. Redskins.

8 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

With the Eagles winning and the Malcom Butler stuff, no one is talking about the fact that this game was once again slanted towards the pats. the two most aggregious examples?

(1) The clear and obvious PI on the Eagles 2pt conversion attempt which went uncalled

(2) the play that no one is talking about because the commentators quickly brushed it aside and the broadcast didn't show a replay of it: with the pats trailing in the 4th quarter, Amendola catches a pass and runs towards the sideline, but an eagles defender stops Amendola, holds him up from the ground, and strips the ball from him while still inbounds and before any whistle for stoppage of forward progress. The ref is standing right on top of it watching it all unfold, and let's the play go. But for some reason, the moment the ball is stripped clean, he hurriedly starts flailing his arms and blowing his whistle and 'marking the play dead' based on forward progress being halted. AFTER THE BALL IS OUT.

I rewatched it 10 times. I'm bothered by the fact that no one has brought this up across the internet. Around 11:20 left in the 4th.

Listen for the whistle. Watch for when the referee "blows the play dead." It's disgusting.

I'm fully convinced that the reason that the Ertz review took so long was because they were trying to find a way...any way, to justify overturning it, but ultimately realized that there was no way to. Either he was a runner who broke the plane, or they commit corporate suicide by calling it incomplete even after he clearly possessed the ball, took 2 steps, and covered 6 yards with the ball firmly in his possession.

Kraft is still in the refs pockets. Chris ******* collinsqorth of all people said during the live broadcast: "you think they're gonna get gronk for one of those push offs? Not a chance".

I thought the same thing on that play. It should have kept the clock rolling or it was a fumble. There I see no situation where I felt he was out of bounds since his forward progress stopped in bounds.

6 hours ago, 20andOut said:

The first one sure and it would have been in the news for a week. The second one? NFL would have never lived that down. That wasn’t even close. 

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yeah they hit gronk early on a pass break up and got away with it. Overall the game was basically fair. 

What continues to be an issue is you can't celebrate a touchdown. 

It used to be you looked for the ref signal  

Now you have to wait for the video replay 

It wasn’t just that play. 

The Clement touchdown looked extremely suspect. In my opinion, it looked like he bobbled it at one point and by the time he had possession, his right foot was not in bounds. 

The Ertz TD. I think it was a touchdown. It actually looked obvious, but based off what’s been a catch this year, that shouldn’t have been called a touchdown. 

Yes the defender was out of bounds. But watch the ref's head. He's looking inside at the ball, not at his foot. That's not the reason the play was "blown dead" and it's also not why the call was "stoppage of forward progress". he's looking directly for the ball, and the moment he sees the ball clearly out, he blows the play dead.

i don't know the rules of the defender being out of bounds. Maybe if they allowed the fumble to play out, they'd go back and reverse it. But the part that bothers me is that week in and week out, the pats are generally the beneficiaries of these circumstances.

=======================

And lol to all of you Jets fans experiencing Stockholm Syndrome with the pats. They get the calls and the benefits every game for the past 18 years with only a handful of exceptions, and you want to harp on the fact that two replays were finally correctly administered as a reason for why the game isn't perpetually slanted in favor of the pats.

To answer some of you asking why they would rule in favor of the Eagles on those two replays: as I said in my initial post, it'd be corporate suicide. The entire league's fan bases have been talking about how the pats are constantly benefitting. Even pats fans throughout Boston (I know too many of them- friends with a bunch myself, and I'm married to one who's entire huge family and group of friends are all pats fans as well) were acknowledging how "lucky" they've been specifically this year. You think the NFL offices are stupid enough to overturn the correct call twice on the biggest stage with everyone watching? 

Pats fans are the single best fan base at playing victim. To them, the whole world is out to get them. To them, the NFL and ESPN work together to conspire against them. Yet, theres a reason you're not hearing much out of Boston about the refs or those plays this time. It's because they know they have no legs to stand on because they've been the ones getting every call all year- and if they start complaining about it, they know it'll get turned around on to them hard.

2 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

34 minutes ago, ID. said:

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes, thousands of people lost their lives in a terrorist attack and while the week 2 games were cancelled Paul Tagliabue brought his henchman together and decided "we are going to make the Patriots a dynasty!" to make everyone feel better.  Please stop it guys.  The Pats are great, yes they get the calls sometimes and maybe it feels like all the time but good teams usually get the benefit of the doubt more than bad teams outside of when the old Raiders were good.  if the league wanted to fix games we'd have seen Super Bowls by now and in that Feb 2002 SB it would have been Jets vs. Giants or Jets vs. Redskins.

Lets not go into this direction any further. Relating  cheating in a football game to an American tragedy of this magnitude is quite honestly insulting and not going to be tolerated. Thanks. 

58 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I agree that they were good catched, but how many apparently good catched have we seen ruled incomplete on replay this year?

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The Ertz TD. I think it was a touchdown. It actually looked obvious, but based off what’s been a catch this year, that shouldn’t have been called a touchdown. 

I hate this rationale. My boss is a Giants fan, was obviously rooting against the Eagles. Claimed that because the pats have benefitted from the rules being incorrectly applied and having these plays overturned, it should have happened again on Sunday.

That's so unbelievably twisted. There is a rule in place. Just because there were 4 exceptions to that rule this year which all benefited the pats, does not mean it should continue to be incorrectly applied just to be consistent with previous exceptions. There's a reason they were exceptions to the rule in the first place.

Ertz had taken 3 steps, he was definitely a runner, looked like the correct call, was shocked to see it was upheld and even more so with the clement td, he looked like he bobbled it and ha da toe out of bounds on his 2nd step after the bobble, that call never goes against the pats.. they got a few calls for them for sure this game, but those two calls made this game... 

35 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I hate this rationale. My boss is a Giants fan, was obviously rooting against the Eagles. Claimed that because the pats have benefitted from the rules being incorrectly applied and having these plays overturned, it should have happened again on Sunday.

That's so unbelievably twisted. There is a rule in place. Just because there were 4 exceptions to that rule this year which all benefited the pats, does not mean it should continue to be incorrectly applied just to be consistent with previous exceptions. There's a reason they were exceptions to the rule in the first place.

the rules are insane but in most of the controversial plays this year the officials got it right.  the rule itself needs to be changed, both of those replay calls could have gone either way and both went toward philly.  Philly earned the win just as NE earned their trip to the SB. 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/5-calls-patriots-fans-can-use-blame-refs-super-bowl-loss-170237140.html

I find quite a lot of this article objectionable, but look at the image under Point 5 (posted below), of Hogan being taken out on the Hail Mary play. If the refs wanted ANY reason to give NE one more chance, this is a pretty clear, incontrovertible penalty for illegal contact, if nothing else. Yet it wasn't called.

DVPjGkQXcAAqClT.jpg

Yes bc PI is called on game ending Hail Mary's all the time. 

That call was debatable like thousands of calls all year. 

However for any fan to argue we should “stop” our questioning cause all “Great” teams get “calls” is boarder line insulting. 

First, the NFL revealed its hand when it said in court documents that it isn’t a competitive sport but rather an entertainment industry and as such things can be rigged legally like wrestling. That isn’t a fan’s opinions those are facts.  

Second the Pats despite the propaganda are not the only “Great” team in sports history. 

I saw the 49ers play, the Parcells Giants, the 1970’s Steelers and Cowboys, the 90’s Cowboys and so on, and yes teams could occasionally get calls but nothing like we are seeing today with the Pats; nothing!

To go back in history and say, what about this play or that play like the Pats sycophants do out here is disingenuous. Clearly there is a pattern and practice of favoring the Pat; for example, no offensive or defensive calls in a Championship Game, not one, come on now!

Or Chris Collinsworths outrageous homerism for the Pats literally calling into question TDs and plays all game long so that the Pats could win is beyond the pale and was never done before; ever.

Chris Collinsworth in fact was the one who highlighted the whole disgusting pattern by his carping and complaining .,...the whole Pats got calls during the season meme was subtly raised by him.  Why?

Because yes we saw calls go the other way during the season and what he failed to state was the fact that the vast majority of those magical calls favored the Pats all seasob and called into question the entire replay rule  

At the end if the day I could care less if the Pats win the next fifty SBs and Brady plays until he is 70; just don’t piss in my face and pretend it’s rain and say “who are you going to believe us or lying eyes”. 

So as a fan of the game the NFL needs to get a hold of this before there is no game to defend. 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

no but if the roles were reversed what do you think our whiny fanbase would be talking about now?

There was blatant holding on the Pats to end the Jags game. Nobody expecting that call but There was also blatant PI on the Pats twice in the end zone and one cost 2 points. Those calls are automatic for every other team. I don't want to hear it. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

That call was debatable like thousands of calls all year. 

However for any fan to argue we should “stop” our questioning cause all “Great” teams get “calls” is boarder line insulting. 

First, the NFL revealed its hand when it said in court documents that it isn’t a competitive sport but rather an entertainment industry and as such things can be rigged legally like wrestling. That isn’t a fan’s opinions those are facts.  

Second the Pats despite the propaganda are not the only “Great” team in sports history. 

I saw the 49ers play, the Parcells Giants, the 1970’s Steelers and Cowboys, the 90’s Cowboys and so on, and yes teams could occasionally get calls but nothing like we are seeing today with the Pats; nothing!

To go back in history and say, what about this play or that play like the Pats sycophants do out here is disingenuous. Clearly there is a pattern and practice of favoring the Pat; for example, no offensive or defensive calls in a Championship Game, not one, come on now!

Or Chris Collinsworths outrageous homerism for the Pats literally calling into question TDs and plays all game long so that the Pats could win is beyond the pale and was never done before; ever.

Chris Collinsworth in fact was the one who highlighted the whole disgusting pattern by his carping and complaining .,...the whole Pats got calls during the season meme was subtly raised by him.  Why?

Because yes we saw calls go the other way during the season and what he failed to state was the fact that the vast majority of those magical calls favored the Pats all seasob and called into question the entire replay rule  

At the end if the day I could care less if the Pats win the next fifty SBs and Brady plays until he is 70; just don’t piss in my face and pretend it’s rain and say “who are you going to believe us or lying eyes”. 

So as a fan of the game the NFL needs to get a hold of this before there is no game to defend. 

I 100% guarantee you that when Dallas had their dynasty, Pitt had their dynasty, SF, etc... that fans of opposing teams whined about officials.  We see it for NE b/c it is current and we arte in the social media age so it makes it look worse.  when the Bulls were winning everyone whined about Michael Jordan getting all the calls, when the Yanks had their dynasty fans whined about that.  it's what fans do.  Ne hasn't become the greatest dynasty the sport has ever seen(when factoring in the era they are playing in) b/c they get a few calls here and there. 

can you post some links to the NFL not saying it is a competitive sport and just entertainment?

Archived