Patsferential treatment

greenwichjetfan

12 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

That pretty much puts that one to bed. A player out of bounds cannot recover or advance a ball.

True. Yet can he continue to strip it? I believe another Eagles player was close enough by to recover it. That being said, I  think the refs got it right in real time and it should stay that way. Going through every play In slow motion frame by frame is basically the definition of editing. I don’t want to watch edited football. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That pretty much puts that one to bed. A player out of bounds cannot recover or advance a ball.

True. Yet can he continue to strip it? I believe another Eagles player was close enough by to recover it. That being said, I  think the refs got it right in real time and it should stay that way. Going through every play In slow motion frame by frame is basically the definition of editing. I don’t want to watch edited football. 

Just now, HessStation said:

There was blatant holding on the Pats to end the Jags game. There was blatant PI on the Pats twice us the end zone and one cast 2 points. Those calls are automatic for every other team. I don't want to hear it. 

That has nothing to do w/ this but I remember 2 calls in that 1st Pats game, one our guy clearly interfered w/  Pats receiver(I think it was Gronk) in the EZ w/ no call and another where we didn't do anything wrong and they threw a flag.  Officiating in general isn't very good especially when it comes to replays but if anything NE got the short end the other day. 

The Corey Clement one was not a TD.  Ball was in motion before two feet came down.  I don't even really see how that one was debatable on replay.  Eagles got a ton of help right there.

Ertz made a football move, that one should have stood, and did.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Agree about edited football. Replays should be done in real time, or slightly slowed down. This freeze frame garbage needs to stop. 

I'd have to look at the rule book, but I believe that if an out of bounds player touches the ball, the play is over. My guess is as good as yours.

I'm all for a Cheatriots conspiracy because they cheat but this play doesnt seem to be one.  The Eagles defender was out of bounds and it looked like the ref couldnt see the fight for the ball and called the play dead due to forward progress.  IDK. That's besides the fact the Eagles got some breaks themselves. 

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I hate this rationale. My boss is a Giants fan, was obviously rooting against the Eagles. Claimed that because the pats have benefitted from the rules being incorrectly applied and having these plays overturned, it should have happened again on Sunday.

That's so unbelievably twisted. There is a rule in place. Just because there were 4 exceptions to that rule this year which all benefited the pats, does not mean it should continue to be incorrectly applied just to be consistent with previous exceptions. There's a reason they were exceptions to the rule in the first place.

The RULE is horrible! People do not know what a catch is anymore. It’s the most confusing thing in the NFL right. Whatever a catch is to the refs, I just ask they be consistent. 

55 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

39 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm all for a Cheatriots conspiracy because they cheat but this play doesnt seem to be one.  The Eagles defender was out of bounds and it looked like the ref couldnt see the fight for the ball and called the play dead due to forward progress.  IDK. That's besides the fact the Eagles got some breaks themselves. 

13 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IDK.  Does the fact that the defender is out of bounds when the ball comes out have anything to do with the call? IDK

I can't stress this enough: This post is not about whether it would eventually be the right call on review. I'm saying that once again, the refs blew a play dead in favor of the patriots. This time it was not in slow motion replay or the fact that there was no ref with a clear line of vision. I didn't slow down the play on my video. It's real time. In real time, the ref runs towards the action, allows the play to continue (not realizing that the defender was out of bounds), and is clearly looking for the ball. So in his head, no one is out of bounds, the ball is out on the ground, and that's when he decides to blow the play dead on account of forward progress being stopped.

Regardless of what would have transpired upon review or whatever else, that's screwy. Plain and simple.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/5-calls-patriots-fans-can-use-blame-refs-super-bowl-loss-170237140.html

I find quite a lot of this article objectionable, but look at the image under Point 5 (posted below), of Hogan being taken out on the Hail Mary play. If the refs wanted ANY reason to give NE one more chance, this is a pretty clear, incontrovertible penalty for illegal contact, if nothing else. Yet it wasn't called.

DVPjGkQXcAAqClT.jpg

I'm curious where the complementary article is that represents the approximately 85 no-calls against the Pats throughout the entire game.  But no, it was totally just one false start.  It's so absurd the completely idiotic rants going on because the game wasn't called more significantly in the Pats favor than it already was.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

That has nothing to do w/ this but I remember 2 calls in that 1st Pats game, one our guy clearly interfered w/  Pats receiver(I think it was Gronk) in the EZ w/ no call and another where we didn't do anything wrong and they threw a flag.  Officiating in general isn't very good especially when it comes to replays but if anything NE got the short end the other day. 

Please give me the calls the Eagles got or got away with that we're bigger than the 3rd and 7 incompletion hold that got them their first TD drive, Easy PI in the end zone and easy PI on the two PT conversion. And give me a break on the two TD catches, they were clearly caught, the Ertz td shouldn't even be considered unless you're an idiot.

9 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Stepping aside and looking at this objectively, this whole claim raises some interesting questions. In all sports there are always questionable calls for no other reason than referring/umpiring is hard, really hard. The action is faster than the human eye oft times. To tear apart calls on film and after the fact is unfair. Just ask Armando Galaragga and Jim Joyce.

So let's assume that the Patriots are somehow favored by the league to the point that it creates victories for them. There are only a few reasons why this would be:

1. It is like wrestling and roller derby and the sport is not much more than a phony spectacle designed for TV ratings, ticket sales and merchandise marketing. Perhaps this is what everyone is claiming, in which case, why is it a team in New England and not a major market?  
  2. Someone pays someone else a whole lot of money and is able to somehow keep it quiet over period of years. Who gets paid? the refs? Goodell? Not sure how to practically make this work.
  3. A nefarious fellow visits the right parties with Luca Brasi and "convinces" people to take action. In this day and age?

There is a rule of life and that rule is, when looking for the cause and effect of questionable activity, follow the money

So I am not criticizing or acting the role of contrarian but I am legitimately asking if there is any truth to this, if you were able to follow the money, where does it lead?

You don't call New England a major market? Lol. Your talking CT, RI, MA, ME, NH, VT. My god, I live in Manchester NH, did you know Southern NH, has the 6th best economy in the nation & a 2.4 unemployment? Because the Pats are a "NEW ENGLAND" team, that covers a MAJOR, MAJOR market in this country.

49 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I 100% guarantee you that when Dallas had their dynasty, Pitt had their dynasty, SF, etc... that fans of opposing teams whined about officials.  We see it for NE b/c it is current and we arte in the social media age so it makes it look worse.  when the Bulls were winning everyone whined about Michael Jordan getting all the calls, when the Yanks had their dynasty fans whined about that.  it's what fans do.  Ne hasn't become the greatest dynasty the sport has ever seen(when factoring in the era they are playing in) b/c they get a few calls here and there. 

can you post some links to the NFL not saying it is a competitive sport and just entertainment?

I’m working so I will send the link to the case and so on later on.  

And I’m a huge Knicks fan and my family trains with or on behalf of Nike and I can say without hesitation that there was whining over the  Bulls and MJ   

The NBA changed their rules such as no hand checking and so on that favored MJ but all players were the beneficiary of those rules and in fact ushered in the mordern game today.  

Even with that I can state for a fact that there was collusion in the NBA and because there was collusion doesn’t make it right there or justify it in the NFL!!!

The “everybody’s robbing my neighbor so what is wrong with it when I do it” doesn’t go over well with me.....

The Pats are a great team, TB is an All Time Great; they won 5 SB or whatever and no one can take that from them. So why are you whining that the vast majority of die hard NFL fans don’t bow to the meme that “The Pats get no favoritism “ when they do.  

And trust me I noted with some amusement how you ignore my question of how a NFL team in 2018 can play an entire game in the Championship round and not have 1 offensive or defensive penalty!!!

Well back to work!

21 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I can't stress this enough: This post is not about whether it would eventually be the right call on review. I'm saying that once again, the refs blew a play dead in favor of the patriots. This time it was not in slow motion replay or the fact that there was no ref with a clear line of vision. I didn't slow down the play on my video. It's real time. In real time, the ref runs towards the action, allows the play to continue (not realizing that the defender was out of bounds), and is clearly looking for the ball. So in his head, no one is out of bounds, the ball is out on the ground, and that's when he decides to blow the play dead on account of forward progress being stopped.

Regardless of what would have transpired upon review or whatever else, that's screwy. Plain and simple.

If I recall correctly, it was ruled that forward progress was stopped. I can't argue with that. In any case, I don't see this call as one of the bad ones. There are times when I believe that the Pats are getting the 50/50 calls, but this is not one of them.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

There was blatant holding on the Pats to end the Jags game. Nobody expecting that call but There was also blatant PI on the Pats twice in the end zone and one cost 2 points. Those calls are automatic for every other team. I don't want to hear it. 

The Pats defender literally runs though the Eagles WR CLEARLY before the ball arrived on that 2 point conversion! It wasn't a bang bang play as they say, it was so freaking obvious, DIRECTLY in front of the entire nation, and every Jet fan in this country knows damn well that if this was the Jets & that defender was BUSTER SKRINE, flags would have rained down from the heavens, Collinsworth & Michaels would be commenting about how BLATENT it was & you, and I, and every Jet fan KNOWS IT! It's what makes it tough for us to believe we'll EVER have a chance with the deck stacked against us.

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

To be honest, I think the Eagles got some calls favoring them as well. 

I think the refs were told to hold on to their hankies unless it was a super blatant call.  There were multiple offensive holding that could have been called on both sides for example.

39 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If I recall correctly, it was ruled that forward progress was stopped. I can't argue with that. In any case, I don't see this call as one of the bad ones. There are times when I believe that the Pats are getting the 50/50 calls, but this is not one of them.

I'm asking why that was ruled after the ball came out. The referee clearly was looking for the ball, saw it was out, and then blew the whistle indicating forward progress was stopped. All in realtime. Not in slow-motion. In any other instance, that play continues as forward progress can only be stopped if the player still possesses the ball.

Ultimately, I think this game was called fairly evenly in that both teams got non-calls where, in the past, flags could have flown.  No doubt that the Eagles mugged Hogan on that last hail mary.  But if a flag had been thrown, the uproar would have overridden the story of the game itself.  I do believe the NFL finally told the refs to swallow the whistle the way Tom Brady swallows kielbasa unless there was a dismemberment on the field.  And they listened.  I don't think the league wanted another controversial Pats win.  If they won straight up, fine, but another Tuck Rule call or overturned TD that was obvious to everyone else would have been a story that would not go away.  The league needs to try to move past all that.  It only took them 15 or so years.

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

Please give me the calls the Eagles got or got away with that we're bigger than the 3rd and 7 incompletion hold that got them their first TD drive, Easy PI in the end zone and easy PI on the two PT conversion. And give me a break on the two TD catches, they were clearly caught, the Ertz td shouldn't even be considered unless you're an idiot.

the penalty on the eagles was as clear as could be, there was no doubt they made the right call and the 2 replay reviews easily could have gone the other way w/ the way they have called them and the 1st one should have been overturned.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I’m working so I will send the link to the case and so on later on.  

And I’m a huge Knicks fan and my family trains with or on behalf of Nike and I can say without hesitation that there was whining over the  Bulls and MJ   

The NBA changed their rules such as no hand checking and so on that favored MJ but all players were the beneficiary of those rules and in fact ushered in the mordern game today.  

Even with that I can state for a fact that there was collusion in the NBA and because there was collusion doesn’t make it right there or justify it in the NFL!!!

The “everybody’s robbing my neighbor so what is wrong with it when I do it” doesn’t go over well with me.....

The Pats are a great team, TB is an All Time Great; they won 5 SB or whatever and no one can take that from them. So why are you whining that the vast majority of die hard NFL fans don’t bow to the meme that “The Pats get no favoritism “ when they do.  

And trust me I noted with some amusement how you ignore my question of how a NFL team in 2018 can play an entire game in the Championship round and not have 1 offensive or defensive penalty!!!

Well back to work!

I didn't ignore anything, I posted the Pats penalties on another thread.  in some postseasons they had a ton, others very little.  this postseason was the only one where they had a huge advantage in penalties w/ very little called on them.  why that was I don't know, If I subscribed to the league being fixed theory I wouldn't watch the NFL anymore.  In the Ten game it looked one sided but they crushed Ten so they can't complain.  other than that I didn't see anything that appeared strange.  I would mention it especially w/ a team I hate.  In college basketball in the 2015 and 2016 National Championship Games the refs determined the outcome by being very onesided, I didn't see that this time in the NFL.

Good teams and players get calls all the time, and in every sport. Wade Boggs rarely got a called strike 3 because umpire's respected his eye for the strike zone. 

The Jets will start getting calls when we put a respectable team on the field. In a few years, when Brady and Belichick retire, you'll see the Pats get fleeced on the same calls that we got fleeced on. I try my best not to be a sour grapes Jets fan. I only bitch like a little Mary on the big blown calls like when Gronk got the call on his bouncy football TD catch a while back.

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Lets not go into this direction any further. Relating  cheating in a football game to an American tragedy of this magnitude is quite honestly insulting and not going to be tolerated. Thanks. 

Understood, this was just a thought that crossed my mind and I was surprised someone else had it.  Didn’t mean to offend...

It was a game where for once not 1005 of the calls went the pats way, that almost never happens, they lost.

The bigger issue is the volume of games, not just playoff games where the pats get the multiple gifts.

I'd say it is about 50-1 in games I've watched.  Even in games vs schlep teams like the jets if they are putting up a fight you know for sure something will happen.

The refs and the league, moreso the refs are 100% intimidated by that team.

8 hours ago, jamesr said:

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/5-calls-patriots-fans-can-use-blame-refs-super-bowl-loss-170237140.html

I find quite a lot of this article objectionable, but look at the image under Point 5 (posted below), of Hogan being taken out on the Hail Mary play. If the refs wanted ANY reason to give NE one more chance, this is a pretty clear, incontrovertible penalty for illegal contact, if nothing else. Yet it wasn't called.

DVPjGkQXcAAqClT.jpg

isn't that right after Gronk clubbed the guy away the best thing that could have been called was a do over PI on both the offense and defense

1 minute ago, rammagen said:

isn't that right after Gronk clubbed the guy away the best thing that could have been called was a do over PI on both the offense and defense

It'd still give the Pats yet another chance at a TD, or a PI in the end zone ... yet it wasn't called.

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

no they did not get the short end they got what was deserved.

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

It'd still give the Pats yet another chance at a TD, or a PI in the end zone ... yet it wasn't called.

I know games can not end on defensive foul but if gronk clubbed they guy into him....just saying oi the offense did the interference first and caused the second would the game not end

27 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I know games can not end on defensive foul but if gronk clubbed they guy into him....just saying oi the offense did the interference first and caused the second would the game not end

I've just watched the full play - the Gronk arm / shove and the Hogan hit are completely separate. Hogan gets hit at about the 35 yard line, Gronk pushes off his man at the 15.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

It was a game where for once not 1005 of the calls went the pats way, that almost never happens, they lost.

The bigger issue is the volume of games, not just playoff games where the pats get the multiple gifts.

I'd say it is about 50-1 in games I've watched.  Even in games vs schlep teams like the jets if they are putting up a fight you know for sure something will happen.

The refs and the league, moreso the refs are 100% bribed by that team.

fixed bro... common 

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the penalty on the eagles was as clear as could be, there was no doubt they made the right call and the 2 replay reviews easily could have gone the other way w/ the way they have called them and the 1st one should have been overturned

The point is the Pats get help EVERY game from the refs and it's ALWAYS at crucial spots we're they need a little push of momentum. It's clockwork. The hold happens all the time it just happens to get called on 3rd and 7 when they're backed up and down two scores. And when they have the momentum the other team never gets a call, the two PI in the end zone for example. This happens EVERY game. I've watched most of them. If you can't see that you're blind as a bat.

Archived