Hearing the Jets are in talks with Claiborne..

JetFanatic

21 minutes ago, First_Blood said:

This is good. The other guys we need to keep are ASF, Davis, Catanzaro, and McCown if we choose to draft a QB

What has Catanzaro really done to earn his keep on this team? He has messed up multiple times and as a Kicker..you have to be close to flawless because 1.) your position is easy. 2.) you are easily disposable.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What has Catanzaro really done to earn his keep on this team? He has messed up multiple times and as a Kicker..you have to be close to flawless because 1.) your position is easy. 2.) you are easily disposable.

I actually was shocked that he beat out Russ Martin in the preseason, I thought martin had a better perseason, was younger and had a stronger leg.

Cantanzaro wasnt bad, but again, Id have martin in here for sure to compete with him and see if he can be a cheaper option with upside.

2 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

I hope they sign him to something like a 3 yr $24.5 million dollar deal with a decent signing bonus.

That amount sounds about right. (though sub out a signing bonus for an offseason roster bonus) He's an average to above average corner whose had a history of injuries but is still in his mid twenties. Something in the ball park of earing 8 to 9 million a year on a team where he's played well on should have him running back.

I think this gets done. Just a question of guarantees, in which case I think the jets have to make their biggest concession where he gets two years mostly if not fully guaranteed.

1 hour ago, JetFanatic said:

ASJ- 3 yr $21 million, Demario Davis - 4 yr $30 million, Claiborne 3 yr $24.5 million, Ealy - 3 yr $16.5 million? 

That's bit too much for Ealy, he's good at pass deflections but mediocre elsewhere. MAYBE give him two years for about half that at MOST just to have a veteran D-lineman aboard, but of all the names there he's the one I wouldn't miss.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Davis and ASJ got those amounts though. The structure is what matters most in those cases. Say ASJ got 11 million over the first two years and then the last ten unguaranteed in year three. That makes the number look a lot easier to swallow.

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I actually was shocked that he beat out Russ Martin in the preseason, I thought martin had a better perseason, was younger and had a stronger leg.

Cantanzaro wasnt bad, but again, Id have martin in here for sure to compete with him and see if he can be a cheaper option with upside.

Martin has lost out twice. First time was to Nick Folk and he kind of deserved to lose it. He played terrible in the preseason but played terrific in TC. But this time around he shouldn’t have lost. I know Catanzaro has a really strong leg and you are right he didn’t do terrible but I would of rather seen Martin get the job because he was cheaper by a few million and was younger.

Clairborne is a #2 CB- Seeing them trying to get him in the fold early is a great omen that Macc is gonna target one of the big 3 in free agency for our #1 CB. Johnson, Fuller or Gaines. I like Fuller & believe he comes slightly cheaper than Trumaine Johnson who get a lot of hype. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Neal Sterling TE can put up the same numbers ASJ did a lot cheaper and he has better hands.

We feel the same about ASJ. What has he proven over a few games that he did OK? He bobbles to many balls for my liking, catch the damn ball cleanly! I'll keep him for short money but no NFL team is signing a guy in AA with questionable hands and questionable smarts. Tampa dumped him for DUI, sh*tting in his pants, but also for not knowing the playbook. He should kissing the NY Jets azzes for picking him up, straightening him out & giving him another chance. 

If we sign Cousins, we won't need ASJ, Cousins will make Sterling a house hold name, you watch. Put Sterling (a glorified WR) in the Josh Reed role. Sterling looked WAY faster than ASJ, and ASJ didn't show me anything as a blocker. In fact Id be happy if the Jets signed Trey Burton instead & let ASJ walk.

19 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

ASJ- 3 yr $21 million, Demario Davis - 4 yr $30 million, Claiborne 3 yr $24.5 million, Ealy - 3 yr $16.5 million? 

Well these would certainly represent exciting new groundwork for being well on our way towards wasting yet another $100m. I can smell the improvement from here.

We won 5 games with these 4 taking up a combined $9m (half of that to Claiborne alone). Obviously the way to improve the roster is to bring these exact same players back, pay them an additional $20m, and assume their career-best 2017 seasons are their new baselines for the future. 

The most encouraging news I've heard so far, regarding any/all of the above players, is that Macc's (rejected) opening offer to ASJ was only 2 years at $2m/year.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is bad. Claiborne is average. You don't pay for average.

I just want him back as our #2 he should not be our #1

I still hate our secondary. My least favorite player on the defense is Skrine, another player that could be a FA that I would like for defense is Malcolm Butler

6 hours ago, kelly said:

fixed ^ ^ 

cheers ~ ~ :wine:

Those numbers look much much better I hope they take those deals.  That'll allow us to spend more on outside FAs like Trumaine Johnson, Ryan Jensen, Allen Robinson, Andrew Norwell, Trey Burton, and Kyle Fuller.  Those are all guys I hope they target.

6 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm fine with him as a number 2 CB but he really started to fall off over the second half of the season. I saw enough though that I wouldn't have a problem with him as long as we acquire someone better to pair him with.

I hope they resign him to be the #2 CB.  I hope we end up with Trumaine Johnson as our #1.

Archived