Hearing the Jets are in talks with Claiborne..

JetFanatic

4 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

That's bit too much for Ealy, he's good at pass deflections but mediocre elsewhere. MAYBE give him two years for about half that at MOST just to have a veteran D-lineman aboard, but of all the names there he's the one I wouldn't miss.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Davis and ASJ got those amounts though. The structure is what matters most in those cases. Say ASJ got 11 million over the first two years and then the last ten unguaranteed in year three. That makes the number look a lot easier to swallow.

I knew that would be a little on the higher end but he's 26 and I think he's going to improve a lot more and he has a chip on his shoulder and has something against the Patriots which always helps when we play them twice a year.  If he doesn't get resigned then that opens up another hole that we need to fill with that LDE position now.  I would personally love if he signs for 3 yrs $12 million but I think he gets more elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What has Catanzaro really done to earn his keep on this team? He has messed up multiple times and as a Kicker..you have to be close to flawless because 1.) your position is easy. 2.) you are easily disposable.

What didn’t he do that you don’t want him back?  Jets were 10th in touchback %. He was 100% on PATs and 83% on FG 25 of 30. 

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-post-super-bowl-edition

Despite rumors and even a few reports, I’m told Kirk Cousins to the Denver Broncos is not a done deal. Denver is one of approximately eight franchises who intend on competing for the services of Cousins.

One surprise franchise who also intends to be part of the Cousins sweepstakes is the Jacksonville Jaguars. I initially heard about the Jags’ interest in Cousins during practices at the Shrine Game, and the rumblings have been persistent and have grown louder since.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins will be one of the hotter names at the tight end position in the free-agent market, but I’m told he may not get there.

The four-year veteran comes off a career season with the New York Jets and is finally meeting the awesome potential scouts placed on him when he entered the league in 2014.

Seferian-Jenkins has been vocal about his desire to stay with the Jets, and I’m told the feeling is mutual. The Jets have reached out, and the hopes are that the big tight end will be locked up by Gang Green before the free-agency period begins.

13 hours ago, First_Blood said:

I just want him back as our #2 he should not be our #1

I still hate our secondary. My least favorite player on the defense is Skrine, another player that could be a FA that I would like for defense is Malcolm Butler

Butler is an upgrade over what we have now but he is on the small side and is pretty average actually. He has a 79.3 according to PFF which is an average grade and his play hasn’t really shown much different than that. I’d accept him on a reasonable deal though. Trumaine/Claiborne/Butler would be good. But I’m into trying to sign Fuller before all of that.

16 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

That's bit too much for Ealy, he's good at pass deflections but mediocre elsewhere. MAYBE give him two years for about half that at MOST just to have a veteran D-lineman aboard, but of all the names there he's the one I wouldn't miss.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Davis and ASJ got those amounts though. The structure is what matters most in those cases. Say ASJ got 11 million over the first two years and then the last ten unguaranteed in year three. That makes the number look a lot easier to swallow.

Why do we want Ealy back exactly?

He was very effective early in the year, and was a very good FA pickup by Mac, but that doesnt mean he deserves an extension at multiple times his prior salary.  I dont see him as an every down player except in a "wide 9" type 4-3 defense which we dont run but more importantly I think there has to be some serious questions asked of him as to why he was invisible the last 5+ weeks of the year.

18 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

ASJ- 3 yr $21 million, Demario Davis - 4 yr $30 million, Claiborne 3 yr $24.5 million, Ealy - 3 yr $16.5 million? 

These numbers are too high.

If we want to go to 3 years for clairborne, which Im fine with as he wouldnt essentially out there alone like he was this year, I think he would take $7million per, which is a fine value for him as a player.

Ealy's second half drop off, and lack or position for what we run makes him too expensive at anything near $5/6 million per season.

ASJ, while a good player, isnt a good enough blocker at his size to warrant $7/million per season.  If you believe he is a "changed person", is good in the locker room and will continue to improve, then extend the deal to 4 year at $5 million per season (hes only 25)

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

What didn’t he do that you don’t want him back?  Jets were 10th in touchback %. He was 100% on PATs and 83% on FG 25 of 30. 

He didn’t do terrible. He just erked me with the easy misses. That’s all I’m saying. Those 5 missed where SO easy. Guess I am nit picking a little.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

He didn’t do terrible. He just erked me with the easy misses. That’s all I’m saying. Those 5 missed where SO easy. Guess I am nit picking a little.

JMO. PK isn’t an area of concern. Neither is P. Now the other positions? 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

No offense, but that is just flat-out untrue, and the "didn't do terrible" assessment is strange.

Here are the 5 missed ones that were "SO easy":

• A 45-yarder vs Miami on the first drive with the score 0-0. Makeable, sure, but not a SO easy chip-shot as you make it sound. The chip shot attempted he did make, as well as a 40-yarder, and both his XPs.
  • A 45-yarder vs Jacksonville as the first half ended (odds are he would have made it if it wasn't made 5 yards longer due to a delay of game, which itself occurred because we had the punt unit on the field that converted a 30+ yard trick play with no timeouts left). He also nailed a 41-yarder in OT to win that game.
  • From 46 and 48 in a monsoon in Atlanta: rain and wind, with gusts between 20-40 mph. He still converted 2 others (from 43 and 46) and made both his XPs (which at 33 yards, aren't chip-shots anymore, let alone in a rainstorm). 
  • A 40-yarder in 11-degree freezing cold, which is like kicking a rock (not close to "SO easy"). With the Jets 5-10 in a meaningless week 17 game, honestly who cares anyway; in such an unimportant game he wouldn't get credit for any he made (and he did make his other 2, from 48 and 35). Note, when given the opportunity to have Gostkowski attempt a 50-51 yard FG - well within his usual range, as he was perfect from 50+ that year - Belichick, who loves to run up the score, elected to punt instead. Guess why.

"He didn't do terrible" lol. Catanzaro missed exactly 1 FG in the 2nd half over the entire season: a long 48-yarder, in a rainstorm, with unpredictable 20-40mph wind gusts. Outside of kicking in those conditions, he was perfect on all his (now 33 yd) XPs, perfect from inside 40, and was perfect from beyond 45, including a team record 57-yarder (with plenty of room to spare) to break a tie with :01 left in the half.

He's probably the 2nd-best (and arguably might be the outright best) FA Maccagnan has ever signed in his 3 seasons as GM.

I don't know what your expectations are for a $900K FA kicker, but they seem pretty unrealistic. Macc absolutely nailed this one, which wasn't without its risks since he'd missed a jaw-dropping 9 XPs the prior 2 seasons. 

Just now, Fantasy Island said:

Claiborne, Mayes, Adams and Minkah Fitzpatrick:  our defense back field will be set.  Of course we will not score more than 17pts per game, but hey it is Bowles vision.

You know our GM is going to dash our QB hopes with a #6 pick WTF.  It is in the stars.

I just think it’s kind of asisine to think Fitz will be our pick at 6 no matter how much you think Macc will **** up. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No offense, but that is just flat-out untrue. It's a totally false statement, and the "didn't do terrible" assessment is off the mark as well.

Here are the 5 missed ones that were "SO easy":

• A 45-yarder vs Miami on the first drive with the score 0-0. Makeable, sure, but not a SO easy chip-shot as you make it sound. The chip shot attempted he did make, as well as a 40-yarder, and both his XPs.
  • A 45-yarder vs Jacksonville as the first half ended (odds are he would have made it if it wasn't made 5 yards longer due to a delay of game, which itself occurred because we had the punt unit on the field that converted a 30+ yard trick play with no timeouts left). He also nailed a 41-yarder in OT to win that game.
  • From 46 and 48 in a monsoon in Atlanta: rain and wind, with gusts between 20-40 mph. He still converted 2 others (from 43 and 46) and made both his XPs (which at 33 yards, aren't chip-shots anymore, let alone in a rainstorm). 
  • A 40-yarder in 11-degree freezing cold, which is like kicking a rock (not close to "SO easy"). With the Jets 5-10 in a meaningless week 17 game, honestly who cares anyway; in such an unimportant game he wouldn't get credit for any he made (and he did make his other 2, from 48 and 35). Note, when given the opportunity to have Gostkowski attempt a 50-51 yard FG - well within his usual range, as he was perfect from 50+ that year - Belichick, who loves to run up the score, elected to punt instead. Guess why.

"He didn't do terrible" lol. Catanzaro missed exactly 1 FG in the 2nd half over the entire season: a long 48-yarder, in a rainstorm, with unpredictable 20-40mph wind gusts. Outside of kicking in those conditions, he was perfect on all his (now 33 yd) XPs, perfect from inside 40, and was perfect from beyond 45, including a team record 57-yarder (with plenty of room to spare) to break a tie with :01 left in the half.

He's probably the 2nd-best (and arguably might be the outright best) FA Maccagnan has ever signed in his 3 seasons as GM.

I don't know what your expectations are for a $900K FA kicker, but they seem pretty unrealistic. Macc absolutely nailed this one, which wasn't without its risks since he'd missed a jaw-dropping 9 XPs the prior 2 seasons. 

Jesus Christ. A novel. Its a kicker. Okay. You proved great points. His misses annoyed me. It’s really that simple.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jesus Christ. A novel. Its a kicker. Okay. You proved great points. His misses annoyed me. It’s really that simple.

Well then things that annoy you should not hold value to anyone. Nobody converts 100% of their FGs for the season, let alone a $900K FA.

Again, he is arguably Maccagnan's best FA addition ever.

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well these would certainly represent exciting new groundwork for being well on our way towards wasting yet another $100m. I can smell the improvement from here.

We won 5 games with these 4 taking up a combined $9m (half of that to Claiborne alone). Obviously the way to improve the roster is to bring these exact same players back, pay them an additional $20m, and assume their career-best 2017 seasons are their new baselines for the future. 

The most encouraging news I've heard so far, regarding any/all of the above players, is that Macc's (rejected) opening offer to ASJ was only 2 years at $2m/year.

Sperm what do you think about drafting Mayfield and giving McCown a 5 year deal to mentor him

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Well then things that annoy you should not hold value to anyone.

Again, he is arguably Maccagnan's best FA addition ever.

Correct. I just think in particular Kickers shouldnt miss 5 kicks. 25/30 isn’t bad. It’s good. 

I get annoyed when Kickers miss and the very few games my market allowed me to watch. He missed easy ones. I never once said that is a Chipshot. I said easy. 30-40 is easy.5 more yards? That starts to get a little harder.

15 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Those numbers look much much better I hope they take those deals.  That'll allow us to spend more on outside FAs like Trumaine Johnson, Ryan Jensen, Allen Robinson, Andrew Norwell, Trey Burton, and Kyle Fuller.  Those are all guys I hope they target.

agreed !.. hopefully mac  can get it done  ;)

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Correct. I just think in particular Kickers shouldnt miss 5 kicks. 25/30 isn’t bad. It’s good. 

I get annoyed when Kickers miss and the very few games my market allowed me to watch. He missed easy ones. I never once said that is a Chipshot. I said easy. 30-40 is easy.5 more yards? That starts to get a little harder.

Rofl what are you even talking about? Now you saying it's only harder from 45 and beyond. Well 4 of his 5 misses were from just that range before looking at any other context for those 5 attempts.

The only FG he missed from less than 45 yards was still from 40, in the 2nd-coldest game ever in NE (which you are effectively grading on the same scale as kicking in a climate-controlled dome on astroturf). Under these same conditions, in the same game, Belichick elected to punt instead of having the NFL's best-ever kicker attempt a FG that's well within his typical range. 

Among those so-called "easy" ones, name the kickers that were better and more consistent last year (or the past 10 years for that matter), since he didn't miss any, nor any XPs.

Other than those 3 misses - which were as forgivable as any, given the conditions and distance - he was 25/27. The other 2 were also what you term "harder" (from 45 yards out), and both in the first half of those games at that.

Easy, lol. I'm actually giving kudos to Maccagnan for a very solid pickup. Folk, the fan favorite he cut, missed 5 of 11 FGs and 2 of 9 XPs before Tampa dumped him.

43 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sperm what do you think about drafting Mayfield and giving McCown a 5 year deal to mentor him

I don't know much about Mayfield, or any of these prospects, other than looking up numbers and reading what others say.

Wish I could render an opinion, but I just don't watch college ball. NFL games take up enough of my family time. 

Archived