Pauline Notes

KRL

http://www.draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-post-super-bowl-edition

With the Super Bowl in the rear-view mirror, NFL teams are preparing for the combine in Indianapolis. Free agency will be the big topic of discussion over the next few weeks, and we’ve got some updated news in tonight’s edition of Tuesday Draft Notes.

Despite rumors and even a few reports, I’m told Kirk Cousins to the Denver Broncos is not a done deal. Denver is one of approximately eight franchises who intend on competing for the services of Cousins.

One surprise franchise who also intends to be part of the Cousins sweepstakes is the Jacksonville Jaguars. I initially heard about the Jags’ interest in Cousins during practices at the Shrine Game, and the rumblings have been persistent and have grown louder since.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins will be one of the hotter names at the tight end position in the free-agent market, but I’m told he may not get there.

The four-year veteran comes off a career season with the New York Jets and is finally meeting the awesome potential scouts placed on him when he entered the league in 2014.

Seferian-Jenkins has been vocal about his desire to stay with the Jets, and I’m told the feeling is mutual. The Jets have reached out, and the hopes are that the big tight end will be locked up by Gang Green before the free-agency period begins.

Eyebrows were raised when Wake Forest safety Jessie Bates III announced he was entering the draft, but this was primarily from people unfamiliar with his game.

Bates’ film is impressive — he’s an athletic center fielder who plays with excellent speed, displays great range and really stands out in pass coverage.

Though he’s just a redshirt sophomore, Bates plays disciplined, assignment football and is never out of position.

There are some who feel his ball skills are good enough that a move to corner is possible. While I don’t necessarily agree with this, I do believe Bates is the type of safety who can line up over the slot receiver when necessary.

While we presently stamp Bates with a fifth-round grade, there are a few teams who believe he could go as early as the third round. The Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers are two of the teams looking hard at Bates.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jacksonville would be tough to beat! Income tax benefit, great weather, shut-down "D" and a very good running game. Nice stadium to boot.

Loaded roster.

Best owner in the league. 

Father is a Pastor in Orlando.

Tom Coughlin

Jax would be hard to pass on but I just dont see how they can work him into their salary cap.  They've got a lot of money hitting the books over the next 2 years and probably 5-6 players they need to highly consider resigning.  They would have to sacrifice the roster talent depth to accommodate Cousins.  After you finally saw Bortles come in to his own after watching him flail for 3 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Loaded roster.

Tom Coughlin

Jax would be hard to pass on but I just dont see how they can work him into their salary cap.  They've got a lot of money hitting the books over the next 2 years and probably 5-6 players they need to highly consider resigning.  They would have to sacrifice the roster talent depth to accommodate Cousins.  After you finally saw Bortles come in to his own after watching him flail for 3 seasons. 

Agree on all points. 

regarding the bold statement; I feel like I remember hearing or reading that it usually is year 3 going into year 4 where most QB's fully grasp the position. Maybe I am making that up.

As for Bortles, man if I am the Jags, it's a scary spot. Personally I think he is far too inconsistent, but I guess if Coughlin thinks he can get the consistency next season you go with him. Tough decision.

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

"Austin Seferian-Jenkins will be one of the hotter names at the tight end position in the free-agent market".   WTF?  Mr. Invisible/Ball Dropper is a hot commodity?  Please just go.

Let someone else overpay him if we sign a tight end I want Jimmy Graham

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

Agree on all points. 

regarding the bold statement; I feel like I remember hearing or reading that it usually is year 3 going into year 4 where most QB's fully grasp the position. Maybe I am making that up.

As for Bortles, man if I am the Jags, it's a scary spot. Personally I think he is far too inconsistent, but I guess if Coughlin thinks he can get the consistency next season you go with him. Tough decision.

I think it's different for every QB but in Bortles case specifically, he was a project to begin with, so you had to be willing to deal with his high and lows.  Which the Jags did and benefited from doing so.  He didnt come out as a polished passer, he even admits he's not a natural thrower of the Football even to this day.  Plus, when they drafted him, their OL was terrible for the first few years.  They did do a good job of giving him some WR's yet often injured but he was handing off to Denard Robinson, Toby Gerhart and Jordan Todman.  Now the OL is better, the run game was #1 in the league and he balled out in Dec/Jan.

That's a tough one, man.  You put up with all the warts and then he finally seems to put it together and then you kick him to the curb for a super high priced FA that will most certainly impede your ability to keep the roster talent at the current level. 

I'd probably stick with Bortles.  

If I was Jacksonville I would stick with Bortles as well. I mean, they will have 5 or 6 really important players to resign soon and if they have a ton of money locked up into Cousins then it’s goig to get really complicated to keep this SB contending roster together. Stick with Bortles. He has gotten better this year and you just have to believe your guy will get better next year as well. At the end of the day I’m pretty positive he winds up in Denver. And hell...that’s okay with me. I will welcome either Cousins, Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold with open arms. I just pray we don’t end up with no one. That’s my thing..I don’t want this team to end up with the short stick on this great opportunity to get our guy once and for all. 

If ASJ wants more than $4 million a year, then the Jets should just let his ass walk and go after someone like Eifert.

Guy is a Top 5 TE in the league when healthy and is still only 27.

Graham is probably a bit long in the tooth but if we land Cousins, I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing him in on a 2 year deal.

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If ASJ wants more than $4 million a year, then the Jets should just let his ass walk and go after someone like Eifert.

Guy is a Top 5 TE in the league when healthy and is still only 27.

Graham is probably a bit long in the tooth but if we land Cousins, I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing him in on a 2 year deal.

Pretty sure I saw somewhere saying he wants 6 a year. 

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If I was Jacksonville I would suck with Bortles as well. I mean, they will have 5 or 6 really important players to resign soon and if they have a ton of money locked up into Cousins then it’s goig to get really complicated to keep this SB contending roster together. Stick with Bortles. He has gotten better this year and you just have to believe your guy will get better next year as well. At the end of the day I’m pretty positive he winds up in Denver. And hell...that’s okay with me. I will welcome either Cousins, Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold with open arms. I just pray we don’t end up with no one. That’s my thing..I don’t want this team to end up with the short stick on this great opportunity to get our guy once and for all. 

Bortles is due to count 19 against the cap next year.

For an extra 5-7, why not get Cousins?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Loaded roster.

Tom Coughlin

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/2/5/16973564/jaguars-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-contract-nfl-free-agent

Saw this regarding if they can fit Cousins or not. Most of it makes sense, except I dont know how Bortles surgery plays into it now. 

Then this article goes the opposite way...

http://thebiglead.com/2018/02/05/how-blake-bortles-surgery-forced-jaguars-to-commit-to-him/

While Cousins — or other quarterback options — may be tempting, the Jaguars shouldn’t flirt with the idea. Bortles will be the Jaguars’ ride-or-die in 2018. And while they’re pretending like they had a choice, they didn’t. Financially, they’re tied to him for one more year.

The biggest problem, however, is that their defense is built with some of the elite defenders in the NFL. Why is this a problem? Those defenders are young, and many are on rookie deals. Those youngsters are key to running the system — which has become popular in Seattle and Atlanta. But look at what happened in Seattle. Those players got old and demanded huge contracts. Some moved on — some stuck around for too much money. Some didn’t age well. Seattle is a mess.

If the Jaguars are going to build themselves like the Seahawks to win championships, they may be operating in a four-year window. Bortles is basically a waste of (cap) space during that window.

Every year with Bortles might be a year wasted, which makes his wrist surgery all the more painful in Jacksonville.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think with his injury that Bortles' contract may be guaranteed. In that case, it would be the full $28M more. 

If I'm Jax, I stick with Bortles, too. If they're not completely sold on him, they can draft a QB this year. I'm not sold that Cousins is a championship upgrade, and if he's not, he doesn't make a lot of sense there. Better to spend the money to build around what they have. 

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Did not know that. Hmm.. wouldn’t that still impede future cap space depending on Bortles back money compared to a brand new contract for Kirk Cousins which would more than likely have a lot more back money involved?

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

ASJ is not as good as those guys, but Graham is old, Eifert is never healthy and Burton played in a great system. I don't love ASJ, but he has some value in this market. 

Agreed.  If Eifert was healthy, he'd be the top of the market.  Guy has incredible talent but I don't know if he can go 16 games any more.

Everyone evaluating ASJ will consider the catches that were overturned.  They guy does make plays and had a few that didn't show up on the stat sheet. He is inconsistent still but it's not unfair to say he is trending up.  He stayed sober and out of trouble all season, which was a big part of the knock on him in prior years. Wouldn't surprise me to see him continue to improve.  Not a sure thing, but if you're looking for a talented TE, he does warrant consideration.  

42 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Let someone else overpay him if we sign a tight end I want Jimmy Graham

Trey Burton instead of ASJ.  Better hands.  I don't think ASJ will ever learn how not to bobble the ball.  Burton looks solid. Graham would cost too much and he is no longer the productive TE he was when with Brees.  Too much cost for the risk there. 

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Did not know that. Hmm.. wouldn’t that still impede future cap space depending on Bortles back money compared to a brand new contract for Kirk Cousins which would more than likely have a lot more back money involved?

It's tough.   Windows for really competing can close really fast.   Look at Seattle, look at when the 49ers got good.   You back load a little with Cousins, and you can squeeze in a 2-3 real shot at winning.  It's a tough call, but it could really help to get them into their 1st Super Bowl.

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Trey Burton instead of ASJ.  Better hands.  I don't think ASJ will ever learn how not to bobble the ball.  Burton looks solid. Graham would cost too much and he is no longer the productive TE he was when with Brees.  Too much cost for the risk there. 

Absolutely love Burton. Jets are too proud of the ASJ growth though..damn.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Good point, and I don't think there is any dead money on his contract.

No, no dead money at all.   So, for next year, do you want Bortles at 19 or Cousins at say... 25ish?  

For Cousins, do you want to go to a rebuild, or a team that won a playoff game and had a lead at half time in the AFC Championship game?   Plus, like someone else said, do you want 8 games plus your bonus at NJ State taxes, or Florida state Taxes?  That's got to be about an extra million a year right there. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Loaded roster.

Tom Coughlin

would he take a team friendly deal to go to a potential winner?  also, since it's florida on the money side they have a free 4-5% relative to NJ (and probably more given who they play).  

maybe he takes 20mm per year there instead of going for 24mm in NJ or elsewhere.  thoughts?

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins will be one of the hotter names at the tight end position in the free-agent market, but I’m told he may not get there.

The four-year veteran comes off a career season with the New York Jets and is finally meeting the awesome potential scouts placed on him when he entered the league in 2014.

Seferian-Jenkins has been vocal about his desire to stay with the Jets, and I’m told the feeling is mutual. The Jets have reached out, and the hopes are that the big tight end will be locked up by Gang Green before the free-agency period begins.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Graham is still lethal in the red zone he had 10 td catches last season.  Cousins likes throwing to the tight end

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/2/5/16973564/jaguars-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-contract-nfl-free-agent

Saw this regarding if they can fit Cousins or not. Most of it makes sense, except I dont know how Bortles surgery plays into it now. 

Then this article goes the opposite way...

http://thebiglead.com/2018/02/05/how-blake-bortles-surgery-forced-jaguars-to-commit-to-him/

While Cousins — or other quarterback options — may be tempting, the Jaguars shouldn’t flirt with the idea. Bortles will be the Jaguars’ ride-or-die in 2018. And while they’re pretending like they had a choice, they didn’t. Financially, they’re tied to him for one more year.

The biggest problem, however, is that their defense is built with some of the elite defenders in the NFL. Why is this a problem? Those defenders are young, and many are on rookie deals. Those youngsters are key to running the system — which has become popular in Seattle and Atlanta. But look at what happened in Seattle. Those players got old and demanded huge contracts. Some moved on — some stuck around for too much money. Some didn’t age well. Seattle is a mess.

If the Jaguars are going to build themselves like the Seahawks to win championships, they may be operating in a four-year window. Bortles is basically a waste of (cap) space during that window.

Every year with Bortles might be a year wasted, which makes his wrist surgery all the more painful in Jacksonville.

I still just dont see how they can do it.  Campbell, Jackson, Dareus, Bouye and Smith all carrying huge cap hits.  Then they've got Ramsey, Ngakoue, Jack, Fowler, Robinson, Lee, Colvin that all need to be looked at to resign.  It just seems wayyy to much for the Jags.

Who knows though...maybe they sacrifice some talent depth for a QB.  I wouldnt.  Especially considering Bortles 2-1 on the big stage whereas Cousins is 0-1.

42 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

would he take a team friendly deal to go to a potential winner?  also, since it's florida on the money side they have a free 4-5% relative to NJ (and probably more given who they play).  

maybe he takes 20mm per year there instead of going for 24mm in NJ or elsewhere.  thoughts?

I have no earthly clue.  All I know is, the Jags talent will have to suffer to bring on Cousins. 

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Graham is still lethal in the red zone he had 10 td catches last season.  Cousins likes throwing to the tight end

then he'll love Burton who will be every bit as productive or more than ASJ at the same or lower price.  Graham will be way overpriced.  He may have had 10 TDs for Seattle this year, but they have to be the quietest TDs ever.  He only had 6 TDs for Seattle in 2016 and a measly 2 TDs in 2015.  His Brees days are long gone.  He is ALWAYS a health risk as well.  Not worth the money. 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

http://www.draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-post-super-bowl-edition

With the Super Bowl in the rear-view mirror, NFL teams are preparing for the combine in Indianapolis. Free agency will be the big topic of discussion over the next few weeks, and we’ve got some updated news in tonight’s edition of Tuesday Draft Notes.

Despite rumors and even a few reports, I’m told Kirk Cousins to the Denver Broncos is not a done deal. Denver is one of approximately eight franchises who intend on competing for the services of Cousins.

One surprise franchise who also intends to be part of the Cousins sweepstakes is the Jacksonville Jaguars. I initially heard about the Jags’ interest in Cousins during practices at the Shrine Game, and the rumblings have been persistent and have grown louder since.

Eyebrows were raised when Wake Forest safety Jessie Bates III announced he was entering the draft, but this was primarily from people unfamiliar with his game.

Bates’ film is impressive — he’s an athletic center fielder who plays with excellent speed, displays great range and really stands out in pass coverage.

Though he’s just a redshirt sophomore, Bates plays disciplined, assignment football and is never out of position.

There are some who feel his ball skills are good enough that a move to corner is possible. While I don’t necessarily agree with this, I do believe Bates is the type of safety who can line up over the slot receiver when necessary.

While we presently stamp Bates with a fifth-round grade, there are a few teams who believe he could go as early as the third round. The Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers are two of the teams looking hard at Bates.

All I get from this is meet the jets' new free safety/cb hybrid...  Jessie Bates III

Archived