Ex-Jet Chad Pennington shares insight on Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen

Gas2No99

r324622_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

One of the best quarterbacks from the New York Jets' past spent time recently with potential quarterbacks of the future.

Working in an official mentoring role at the Senior Bowl, Chad Pennington got to know Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen, both of whom have been linked to the Jets in pre-draft speculation. For different reasons, they're also two of the most polarizing players among scouts. Pennington, who was in Mobile, Alabama for three days, watched them at practice and the game, and spoke with them individually.

Pennington is an astute observer who played 11 years in the league, so I thought it would be interesting to get his take on the two young quarterbacks. With Mayfield, the biggest question is maturity, on and off the field. The Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma has been arrested once and made headlines last season with his flag-planting, crotch-grabbing histrionics.

Asked how Mayfield would handle New York, Pennington laughed.

"Being from the Midwest, it would certainly be different for him," he told ESPN. "The whole challenge is to make sure you have the right support group. You want to have people in your support group that are going to be honest with you, that have experience, that aren’t looking at you as a superstar. You want people that look at you as a human being, like, how can we truly assist this guy?

"That’s where I get worried with agents and marketing people," Pennington continued. "They develop plans for these guys as if they’re entertainers. When you approach this business as an entertainer, you will get eaten up. You have to keep it about the game of football."

Mayfield is trying to distance himself from the Johnny Manziel comparisons. Smart move, according to Pennington.

"For him, his whole challenge -- and we talked about this -- is to make sure people understand that he’s a footballer," the former Jets quarterback said. "And that’s where the conversation needs to stay, making sure he does everything in his power off the field to keep the conversation about how good a football player he is.

"For a lot of these kids, the big adjustment for them is to realize this isn’t s recruiting process. This is a process where they’re trying to find reasons not to draft you. You can’t give them, as a prospect, any reason. That’s a different environment than they’re used to."

Pennington said Josh McCown, the Jets' 2017 starter and current free agent, would be the ideal mentor for Mayfield. What about Mayfield, the quarterback?

"I know he had a good week of practice," Pennington said. "From what I could see, it looked like he understands -- and has the ability to understand -- an NFL offense and be able to be successful. I certainly think he needs to be put with the right organization that has the right plan, that has the correct system for him to be successful."

Pennington praised Mayfield's competitiveness, noting he was a two-time walk-on in college.

"Baker is one who has had to work extremely hard to get where he is," he said. "He hasn’t been given anything. I think that’s a positive."

With Allen, the main issue is his accuracy (only a 56-percent passer at Wyoming).

"There aren’t many arms like his," Pennington said. "The challenge for him -- he and I talked about this -- is understanding that every pass doesn’t need to be a 100 mph fastball. There’s a difference between throwing and passing the ball. His challenge will be to hone his skills as a passer, knowing when to take advantage of that elite arm strength he has.

"There are plenty of times when it’s not about the arm strength. It’s about the touch, the zip, the accuracy, the ball placement that separates this league from college. No doubt, he’s a guy -- 6-foot-4, 240 -- who can move, can extend plays and make any throw on the field."

chadjukeif3.gif~c200

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

r324622_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

One of the best quarterbacks from the New York Jets' past spent time recently with potential quarterbacks of the future.

Working in an official mentoring role at the Senior Bowl, Chad Pennington got to know Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen, both of whom have been linked to the Jets in pre-draft speculation. For different reasons, they're also two of the most polarizing players among scouts. Pennington, who was in Mobile, Alabama for three days, watched them at practice and the game, and spoke with them individually.

Pennington is an astute observer who played 11 years in the league, so I thought it would be interesting to get his take on the two young quarterbacks. With Mayfield, the biggest question is maturity, on and off the field. The Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma has been arrested once and made headlines last season with his flag-planting, crotch-grabbing histrionics.

Asked how Mayfield would handle New York, Pennington laughed.

"Being from the Midwest, it would certainly be different for him," he told ESPN. "The whole challenge is to make sure you have the right support group. You want to have people in your support group that are going to be honest with you, that have experience, that aren’t looking at you as a superstar. You want people that look at you as a human being, like, how can we truly assist this guy?

"That’s where I get worried with agents and marketing people," Pennington continued. "They develop plans for these guys as if they’re entertainers. When you approach this business as an entertainer, you will get eaten up. You have to keep it about the game of football."

Mayfield is trying to distance himself from the Johnny Manziel comparisons. Smart move, according to Pennington.

"For him, his whole challenge -- and we talked about this -- is to make sure people understand that he’s a footballer," the former Jets quarterback said. "And that’s where the conversation needs to stay, making sure he does everything in his power off the field to keep the conversation about how good a football player he is.

"For a lot of these kids, the big adjustment for them is to realize this isn’t s recruiting process. This is a process where they’re trying to find reasons not to draft you. You can’t give them, as a prospect, any reason. That’s a different environment than they’re used to."

Pennington said Josh McCown, the Jets' 2017 starter and current free agent, would be the ideal mentor for Mayfield. What about Mayfield, the quarterback?

"I know he had a good week of practice," Pennington said. "From what I could see, it looked like he understands -- and has the ability to understand -- an NFL offense and be able to be successful. I certainly think he needs to be put with the right organization that has the right plan, that has the correct system for him to be successful."

Pennington praised Mayfield's competitiveness, noting he was a two-time walk-on in college.

"Baker is one who has had to work extremely hard to get where he is," he said. "He hasn’t been given anything. I think that’s a positive."

With Allen, the main issue is his accuracy (only a 56-percent passer at Wyoming).

"There aren’t many arms like his," Pennington said. "The challenge for him -- he and I talked about this -- is understanding that every pass doesn’t need to be a 100 mph fastball. There’s a difference between throwing and passing the ball. His challenge will be to hone his skills as a passer, knowing when to take advantage of that elite arm strength he has.

"There are plenty of times when it’s not about the arm strength. It’s about the touch, the zip, the accuracy, the ball placement that separates this league from college. No doubt, he’s a guy -- 6-foot-4, 240 -- who can move, can extend plays and make any throw on the field."

chadjukeif3.gif~c200

Pennington said nothing earth shattering here but the Buffalo Bootleg gif is on point.  Penny almost fell over he sold that juke so hard. 

I think most imporatnt thing is what he didnt say.

neither was overly praised. No mention of Progression ability and only knock was on Allen w/Chad wondering oif he can learn how to slow down the fastball (Doug Williams had that issue for quite a few years in league)

22 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Ex-Jet Chad Pennington shares insight on Josh Allen

Strong arm, poor accuracy, not knowing when to put touch on the ball...  hmmmmm....

Allen sounds just like this guy:

Browning-Nagle.jpg?id=5583809c-541f-4ea9

20 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

"There are plenty of times when it’s not about the arm strength. It’s about the touch, the zip, the accuracy, the ball placement that separates this league from college.

I feel like as they were trying to have this conversation, both Allen and Pennington just silently stared at each other blankly for an awkward amount of time, as neither one has the slightest bit of understanding how the other plays/played.  The first pass of Allen's career will already put him ahead of Pennington on the number of NFL throws with any degree of zip.  Meanwhile, who the hell knows where that ball will actually land.

Love Chad as a person.  In the classiest way he let us know that he believes Mayfields weakness would be fame and Allen’s weakness is accuracy.  

Seems like he spent a lot more time speaking about Mayfield as well, which likely indicates his preference for Mayfield.  

That’s my reading of this piece anyway.  

27 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Love Chad as a person.  In the classiest way he let us know that he believes Mayfields weakness would be fame and Allen’s weakness is accuracy.  

Seems like he spent a lot more time speaking about Mayfield as well, which likely indicates his preference for Mayfield.  

That’s my reading of this piece anyway.  

Love?  Classiest?  More likely, he let them know what a privilege it was for them to even talk to him.  He's a grade A douchebag.

Chads a NY Jet through & through. He gave NOTHING that anyone else hasn't talked about ad nauseum. But I guarantee you he had a lot more to say about his time with Mayfield & Allen to Macc/Bowles/Bates. 

Id love to be a fly on the wall for those conversations.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Love?  Classiest?  More likely, he let them know what a privilege it was for them to even talk to him.  He's a grade A douchebag.

I don't understand this.  Everything I've ever read or heard about Chad Pennington as a person has been positive.  As a player?  Sure, his arm and his health held him back.  

I understand him being divisive as a player.  I don't understand the hate for Chad as a person. 

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't understand this.  Everything I've ever read or heard about Chad Pennington as a person has been positive.  As a player?  Sure, his arm and his health held him back.  

I understand him being divisive as a player.  I don't understand the hate for Chad as a person. 

He set the team back years pretending to be a pro qb.  He's a faker.

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I have no idea why Jet fans would call Chad a douchbag? He was more a nerdy dork type, remember him dancing to rap? Pretty funny actually & certainly just proved he has white mans disease when comes to his rhythm.

6 minutes ago, peebag said:

Listen, I get that he's divisive as a player.  At the end, I wanted to move on from him too.  I was tired of the 'play-action-pass to Jerald Sowell' offense.

But as a person, I hold nothing against the guy.   He was always a class act; and for a guy made of glass and with one of the worst arms I've ever seen in the NFL, he did pretty well for himself and the NYJ.  

17 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

hes been doing this for years hes convinced Chad is the devil

55 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

26 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

hes been doing this for years hes convinced Chad is the devil

At least I'm consistent, right?  :D

The simplest point to it all is, he was awfully arrogant and self-congratulatory for a guy who I quite frankly thought was mediocre-at-best.  Between patting himself on the back for the "discount" he supposedly gave when massively overpaid, to his ridiculous speech about the "privilege" it was for others to bask in his glory, and his constant self-praise when insisting he would change nothing he did for every awful game he had, despite him being the #1 reason for loss.  He then proved how much of a joke it really was, when he became super pouty the moment he was deservedly benched and the team did better with his mediocre backup Clemens.

In fairness, does this necessarily make him awful as a regular person?  No, just as it doesn't mean as much about that irritating a$$hole in your office you really don't want to talk to (e.g., all JN posters in their offices).  But he was undoubtedly obnoxious as a football player, and is certainly undeserving of any great praise about what an amazing person he supposedly is.

I don't know how anyone could read that and not walk away feeling like Chad was endorsing Mayfield over Allen as an NFL QB.

One was about handling the spotlight and maturing, the other was about whether he can learn the position..

Gee.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I don't know how anyone could read that and not walk away feeling like Chad was endorsing Mayfield over Allen as an NFL QB.

One was about handling the spotlight and maturing, the other was about whether he can learn the position..

Gee.

Sounded very luke warm to me for both,  saying mayfield has to go to the 'right' situation was no huge endorsement.

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I feel like as they were trying to have this conversation, both Allen and Pennington just silently stared at each other blankly for an awkward amount of time, as neither one has the slightest bit of understanding how the other plays/played.  The first pass of Allen's career will already put him ahead of Pennington on the number of NFL throws with any degree of zip.  Meanwhile, who the hell knows where that ball will actually land.

I scrolled down with anticipation, waiting for you to make your appearance in this thread.

But this post is tame towards Chad.  And not even a tl;dr post.  Only one paragraph, and very readable?  What happened to you?  So disappointed.  

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

At least I'm consistent, right?  :D

The simplest point to it all is, he was awfully arrogant and self-congratulatory for a guy who I quite frankly thought was mediocre-at-best.  Between patting himself on the back for the "discount" he supposedly gave when massively overpaid, to his ridiculous speech about the "privilege" it was for others to bask in his glory, and his constant self-praise when insisting he would change nothing he did for every awful game he had, despite him being the #1 reason for loss.  He then proved how much of a joke it really was, when he became super pouty the moment he was deservedly benched and the team did better with his mediocre backup Clemens.

In fairness, does this necessarily make him awful as a regular person?  No, just as it doesn't mean as much about that irritating a$$hole in your office you really don't want to talk to (e.g., all JN posters in their offices).  But he was undoubtedly obnoxious as a football player, and is certainly undeserving of any great praise about what an amazing person he supposedly is.

THERE we go.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I scrolled down with anticipation, waiting for you to make your appearance in this thread.

But this post is tame towards Chad.  And not even a tl;dr post.  Only one paragraph, and very readable?  What happened to you?  So disappointed.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's a little more like it, but still wayyyyy too short.  

Oh, keep reading.  I decided to gradually phase into it.

8 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Imagine if Chad would have had even half the arm strength that Josh Allen has. :o

elllway had quite the arm when he played.  just about every pass was a fastball.  his receivers couldn't hold on.  i like what chaddy said about mayfield.

5 hours ago, peebag said:

wasn't it herm's or mangini's job to sit him down?  anyone would have to admit that chaddy, at his best was very very good and only his physical limitations held him back.

5 hours ago, peebag said:

The LAST time the Jets won a Division Title:

Passing

No. Player  Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
10 Chad Pennington 26 QB 15 12 8-4 275 399 68.9 3120 22 5.5 6 1.5 47 7.8 8.2 11.3 208.0 104.2   22 135 7.09 7.49 5.2 1 2

44 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Passing

No. Player  Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
10 Chad Pennington 26 QB 15 12 8-4 275 399 68.9 3120 22 5.5 6 1.5 47 7.8 8.2 11.3 208.0 104.2   22 135 7.09 7.49 5.2 1 2

we haven't won the divison since 2002.... think about that. 

58 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Passing

Yes, but unfortunately that 3/4 season of a glimmer of hope was followed by another 5 years of significantly worse performance.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yes, but unfortunately that 3/4 season of a glimmer of hope was followed by another 5 years of significantly worse performance.

Regardless, he earned the Jets a Division Crown and a playoff spot with his astute & inspiring play when the masses had the 2002 team for DEAD at 2-5 BEFORE Halloween that season. 

He's one of the better Jets QBs during my lifetime; it's not like we passed up on drafting a Franchise QB during his Jets tenure.:rolleyes:

After the 2004 run, sadly, he was damaged goods. 

10 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Chad Pennington makes me sick. Incredibly selfish player.  

SAR I

Archived