Who Made The Bigger Jerk Move? Belicheck or McDaniels

Patriot Killa

Who showed their douchebag colors more?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Bill Belicheck or Josh McDaniels? Explain why in text.

• Belicheck
    • McDaniels

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/2/7/16984682/josh-mcdaniels-colts-patriots-bill-belichick-jets

Who made the bigger jerk exit: Josh McDaniels with the Colts or Bill Belichick with the Jets?

McDaniels spurned a team’s head coaching offer, just like his boss. But which jerk move stands out more?

The Josh McDaniels era is over for the Indianapolis Colts. His time there as head coach will be (possibly) remembered mostly by taking his tenure as the Patriots’ offensive coordinator and weaving that into some speculation about what he might have done with the Colts.

And what a magical few hours it was.

It’s reminiscent of what McDaniels’ current boss, the man he’ll probably take over for someday in New England, Bill Belichick did with the Jets in January 2000, when he was head coach just long enough to announce his resignation.

While both now share the honor of having some of the shortest tenures as NFL head coaches, the two eras were a little different. Let’s compare, shall we?

Who lasted longer?

Belichick was there a full day. He actually had a contract, the same one he had as the team’s defensive coordinator. All set to take over from Bill Parcells, who would remain with the team as the operations guy, Belichick had meetings scheduled with the front office and personnel people to plan for the year ahead and another with the medical staff to discuss injured players.

McDaniels didn’t even make it to Indianapolis to deliver a resignation at his introductory press conference.

Why did they bail on their new teams?

Belichick had an offer from the Patriots to be their new head coach and general manager. He truly had the power to build his own team and do it under the supervision of a patient owner, Robert Kraft, with a good reputation for knowing what the hell he was doing. There was also the Parcells factor — he’d always be overshadowed as long as Parcells was still there.

There was no head coaching job waiting for McDaniels to crap out on his prior commitment. When the 2018 season kicks off, he’ll still be the Patriots’ offensive coordinator, albeit a little richer for his effort after the team bumped up his pay for sticking around.

He may be Belichick’s successor in New England, but they can’t guarantee that in writing according to NFL rules.

Who made the better career move?

Well, one guy has five Super Bowl wins and eight appearances. You do the math. It was a dick move by Belichick, but you have to give him props for ultimately taking the better offer. Given the ownership situation, the Jets’ organizational structure at the time and, yes, sheer luck, I don’t think we would have seen anything like the Patriots’ dynasty had he stayed with the Jets.

He’ll go down as one of the — if not THE — greatest coaches in NFL history. Right now, all McDaniels has is being the guy who coached Tom Brady.

McDaniels burned some bridges with his move. Even his own agent told him he was making a mistake by spurning the Colts. It wasn’t like he had a great reputation to begin with, not after his disastrous time as the Broncos’ head coach.

If McDaniels doesn’t eventually take over for Belichick, he might never be an NFL head coach again. (Oh, who are we kidding. This is the NFL, where Jeff Fisher gets 20-plus years to play .500 football. The league never rejects a familiar mediocre white man who’s been around long enough).

Then again, when Belichick leaves, there’s a good chance Brady won’t be there anymore. I just don’t see the Patriots as successful without Brady and Belichick.

Who’s move had/will have a bigger impact?

Belichick, hands down. There’s the whole dynasty thing mentioned above. But it also helped fuel a rivalry between the two AFC East teams. There’s a palpable hate in the air every time these two teams meet.

The Colts-Patriots rivalry isn’t much to begin with. If anything, it’s status quo, the Colts will find another head coach, Andrew Luck may or may not play again, and the Patriots will go on winning for a little while longer. And it’s not like the rest of the NFL didn’t already know McDaniels was a jerk. He just solidified his status.

Which one made the bigger a$$hole move?

Belichick gets ALL the style points here. He had the job, he was setting about doing head coach things with the Jets, then he changed his mind and used his introductory press conference to tell the world he resigned.

He did have a better offer and the Jets’ organizational structure was set up for problems from the start. None of which makes him any less of an asshat for doing it. But at least he built something.

McDaniels gets zero style points. He just waffled, agreeing to a deal, and then decided to stay put. He’s not going off to build something better or make his own way in the world of professional football. He’s just staying where he’s safe ... safe for now, that is.

The only reason why I say McDaniels is because Bill left for another head coaching job.  McDaniels went back to coordinator.  Now he may have been given some assurances that he will take over after bill, but he would probably inherit a bradyless team that needs to be rebuilt.

Also, even with an assurance, things could change.  one wrong move and you don't get the job.  Now you have been blacklisted by every team.  Remember, Kraft was in on this with McDaniels.  The old saying goes, if they do it with you, they'll do it to you.

The Patriots organization is like that weaselly guy from "Billy Madison."

Blackmailing the fat wrestler elementary school principal, aka the "Revolting Blob."  Standing on the podium, having a nervous breakdown when asked to discuss business ethics.

The Patriots are morally and ethically bankrupt from top to bottom.  Owner all the way down to some equipment scrubs...  Kraft was with that 30 something blonde arm candy while Myra's body was still warm in the ground.  Belichick was having an affair with the wife of a supposed friend and former colleague of when they were together on the Giants coaching staff.  The two above and McDaniels just plotted a scheme to screw the Colts, and some assistant coach bystanders, because of spygate.

Cheaters. Schemers. Liars. Nasty.  Vindictive.  Etc.

Total. F*cking. D*cks.

also, why would the article mention the race of the coaches?

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

(Oh, who are we kidding. This is the NFL, where Jeff Fisher gets 20-plus years to play .500 football. The league never rejects a familiar mediocre white man who’s been around long enough)

No need for that.  No matter how good or bad these guys are, they pay their dues and get the jobs.  One of the reasons why football ratings were lower this year was because of this stuff.  Keep it out of the NFL.  This will go unnoticed mostly, but if someone made a comment about bowles, or dungy, or herm, or tomlin, or Rodgers, or lovie or any black coach regarding their skin color the writer would lose their job.  Enough of this crap already.

Just now, usanyj said:

also, why would the article mention the race of the coaches?

No need for that.  No matter how good or bad these guys are, they pay their dues and get the jobs.  One of the reasons why football ratings were lower this year was because of this stuff.  Keep it out of the NFL.  This will go unnoticed mostly, but if someone made a comment about bowles, or dungy, or herm, or tomlin, or Rodgers, or lovie or any black coach regarding their skin color the writer would lose their job.  Enough of this crap already.

Yeah, I wasn’t fond of that part. But this type of thing is what I watch on First Take every single day, so not surprising it popped up here.

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Blackmailing the fat wrestler elementary school principal.  The "Revolting Blob."

Standing on the podium, having a nervous breakdown when asked to discuss business ethics.

The Patriots are morally and ethically bankrupt from top to bottom.  Kraft was with that 30 something blonde arm candy while Myra's body was still warm in the ground.  Belichick was having an affair with the wife of a supposed friend and former member of when they were together on the Giants coaching staff.  The two above and McDaniels just plotted a scheme to screw the Colts, and some assistant coach bystanders, because of spygate.

They cheat. Scheme. Lie. Plot. Etc.

Total. F*cking. D*cks.

Yooooooo! I’m dying over here.???

I think for the most part we all can agree ..

McDaniels just went about it so much more grimier  than BB. I mean, guys moved their entire lives .. pulled kids out of school .. spent money .. made life changing sacrifices moving to Indy thinking they would be working with the guy just to find out they did this all for nothing.

Sure .. they will stay there for the season but the future for these guy is up in the air afterwords. The Head Coach is going to want his own guys eventually. That’s just a fact. It’s very unfortunate and it was very scumbaggish of him. Hopefully karma hits this guy like a freight train and he inherits a Patriots team he has to rebuild from the ground up and his incompetence shines through. Or better yet, I hope Kraft decides “Nahhh .. I don’t want you to lead my rebuild, you’re contract has been terminated.”

While we obviously have far more reason to hate the Belichick move, especially given what's happened since then, McDaniels definitely wins this one by quite a stretch.  Belichick was being moved into the position based on an agreement from 3 years earlier and the sudden resignation of Parcells.  McDaniels on the other hand, made the point of going out of his way of actively pursuing the position, accepting it, and recruiting assistant coaches to take positions based on his decision, before giving every single one of them a big "**** you".  While it wasn't easy to do, McDaniels definitely managed to trump Belichick in terms of being the biggest piece of sh*t among NFL coaches.  He's just one more reason to root for the future failure of the Pats, because once they're done with him, there's not a team in the league who will go anywhere near him.

As bad as BB's was it has to be McDaniels

BB signed a contract w/ the Jets in 1997 that made him the HC when Parcells stepped down.  Things can change in 3 years and they did w/ Hess dying and him not knowing when BP would step down, McDaniels agreed to become the HC of the Colts and started hiring assistants. 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

As bad as BB's was it has to be McDaniels

BB signed a contract w/ the Jets in 1997 that made him the HC when Parcells stepped down.  Things can change in 3 years and they did w/ Hess dying and him not knowing when BP would step down, McDaniels agreed to become the HC of the Colts and started hiring assistants. 

Pretty much this. 

The Colts missed out on their other top candidates because of McD's commitment, and then they started to actually hire McD's choices of assistant coaches. 

Total b!tch move. 

I stopped reading after the "the league never rejects a familiar mediocre white man" comment.

Hue Jackson is moonwalking into year three as head coach after going 1-31.

Marvin Lewis' has never won a playoff game and is going into year 16 as the Bengals head coach. His career win % is .527, which is microscopically higher than "familiar mediocre white man" Jeff Fischer's .517 win percentage.

Do I even need to mention Todd Bowles? There are plenty of others, but this isn't worth the time.

I dont buy this backstory. Pats would have made offer before he went he accepted Indy job, Belly same thing.

This has ALL the whiff of a wife (huge in Boston charity work) backing out (they should have had this "we are moving" talk when he accepted Colts job) . Thise 2 weeks she was getting all neighbor love for SB etc etc and she gave him the our 4 kids are in school for last 7 years and they want to stay and I want to stay please dont take the job.

Only thing makes sense. Pats would have made all offers before.

Plus Josh isnt #1 on Pats HC list. Bellys best pal Nick Saban woyuld be #1 choice when Belly retires if he decides he wants to redeem his resume w/another shot at NFL, and Saban  would have Bellys blessing over Josh.

Parcells acted too hastily and tried to corner Belichick. I can understand Belichick wanting to weigh options, have discussions and understand roles, rather than just having Parcells elevate him automatically to HCNYJ. Poorly handled by Parcells and the Jets in total. Now, you can argue that maybe the Patriots and Kraft tampered to some degree as this process was clumsily taking place. We will never know.

McDaniels appears to have broken his work and bond. That is hard to regain. 

By all appearances, this is the Pats organization trying to salvage and create any hope of continued success the last few years of the Belichick/Brady tandem. Maybe they can rekindle magic, maybe it will go down in flames. They appear to be in desperation "all in" mode.

12 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

I dont buy this backstory. Pats would have made offer before he went he accepted Indy job, Belly same thing.

This has ALL the whiff of a wife (huge in Boston charity work) backing out (they should have had this "we are moving" talk when he accepted Colts job) . Thise 2 weeks she was getting all neighbor love for SB etc etc and she gave him the our 4 kids are in school for last 7 years and they want to stay and I want to stay please dont take the job.

Plus Josh isnt #1 on Pats HC list. Bellys best pal Nick Saban woyuld be #1 choice when Belly retires if he decides he wants to redeem his resume w/another shot at NFL, and Saban  would have Bellys blessing over Josh.

Wife thing sounds plausible but Saban not so much. He is older than BB and is treated like god at Bama and fwiw is paid more than BB.

15 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Does not add up, as the Pats were aware of McDaniels dalliance with Colts all along, and if they were thinking things through, would have increased his salary immediately.

Pats realized losing McDaniels and Patricia simultaneously, would hamper their last few season(s?) of Belichick and Brady, and they may waste that time.

This was a knee jerk reaction to try and salvage the last gap, and trying to maintain a trhead of continuity.

Badly handled.

I think the NFL should change the system for hiring coaches-no one can get hired until after the Super Bowl.  That would make coach placement more fair and transparent.  

The rule is that coaches from SB are not hired until after the SB.  Unfortunately, I don't think any assistants are signing on to a team until the HC actually signs their contract.  The Colts tried to jump the gun.

The wife factor is definitely possible.  

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, I wasn’t fond of that part. But this type of thing is what I watch on First Take every single day, so not surprising it popped up here.

You watch First Take every single day? 

Image result for confused gif

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Blackmailing the fat wrestler elementary school principal, aka the "Revolting Blob." 

Hey Tubby! How about a little bathroom reading? I have the August 1983 issue of Wrestling World, right here.

It is a tough question .

Josh MCDaniels is a proven moron. He only got an offer because he failed as a HC and had to sign up under  “ coach bill bellicheck’s HC training seminar. “ which promises a HC offer within 2-3 years after serving as his coordinator. It is sad the league chases his guys like they are gold. He got his guarantee offer after B.B’s HC training camp.

B.B. It was more personal, prideful. He didn’t want to be controlled by Parcells. While McDaniels wants to be controlled by bellickick. I think McDaniels wasn’t worrying about coaching colts much while preparing for the Super Bowl. He was ready to go until his wetnurse called him back. I think bellickick has been playing quite a while he was going to sign his little famous jets resign note.

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

McDaniels, easy.

Dickhole had multiple assistants move their families to Indy and then backs out at the last moment.

Belichick didn’t feel comfortable with Woody or Dolan as his boss...which is understandable.

This.  And honestly, after watching the 2 Bill's, Parcells is the ****tard in that situation and not Belicheat.  He was responsible for the Jets losing BB.  I'd probably have done the same thing if I were BB.  Nobody is forcing my hand like that with my career and not in that sneaky of a fasion.  The more and more you think about it, Parcells was the worst thing to ever happen to the Jets. 

What McDaniel's did is just down right piece of turd scumbag type sh*t.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Wife thing sounds plausible but Saban not so much. He is older than BB and is treated like god at Bama and fwiw is paid more than BB.

dont misunderstand. I dont think he will ever leave Bama. I am just saying if he asked when belly retired it would be highly considered by Pats.

Easily McDaniels.  BUT, there is always a shadow hanging over this team.  Whether it was Kraft swooping in on Belichick when he was the heir apparent to Parcells and the Jets.  Spygate, Inflategate and now this.  They may have several SB's, but this organization is always suspect.

3 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Easily McDaniels.  BUT, there is always a shadow hanging over this team.  Whether it was Kraft swooping in on Belichick when he was the heir apparent to Parcells and the Jets.  Spygate, Inflategate and now this.  They may have several SB's, but this organization is always suspect.

One thing I will say about Kraft swooping in to get BB is that he was just returning the favor.  we had stolen Parcells who just led NE to a SB so we can't complain about him stealing BB after what we did to steal Parcells.

7 minutes ago, faba said:

At least the Colts said the assistants are going to be able to stay and get paid- no thanks to Mtraitor

Yeah, that was cool of them. It’s unfortunate most, of not all, will be gone next year though. I imagine it will going to be a headache for them all to move back home and do this thing all over again next year. Sure it takes a toll on a family.

Archived