Jason La Confora: Cousins should choose Jets over Broncos

UntouchableCrew

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

True the Broncos murdered us but I think the general point still stands. We're a young scrappy team that fought til the end of most games while the Broncos were a team of disinterested vets who gave up on the season pretty early on.

48 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Conveniently ignoring that McCown had a 94.5 rating and the Jets non-competitiveness was clearly related to his absence. I mean, clearly Bryce Petty's passer rating of 55.1 wouldn't lead to a dropoff. I guess we should praise the Broncos for winning two of their last five after losing 8 in a row, 6 by double digits...? 

Actually you're just choosing to ignore the far more encompassing facts I've outlined over a much larger sample size. I basically provided clear evidence how the Jets were much more competitive over the first 12 weeks of the season and since you've made up your mind that the narrative isn't true you're just grasping at straws to argue otherwise.

Review:

Before the McCown injury the Jets were 5-7 with one loss of 10 points or more. They beat three playoff teams and lost by less than 10 to four more.

The Broncos lost eight consecutive games after their bye week buy an average score of 30-13. Six of those 8 games were by double digits. Two of them were by 25 or more points. They were 0-5 against playoff teams and only one of those losses was within 10 points. There were multiple reports of finger pointing and turmoil in the locker room.

There's just no argument to be made that the Jets weren't more competitive. They played more playoff teams, beat them more often, had a better point differential, and far fewer blowout losses. The article that was posted clearly outlines this... You claim I'm using feelings when in reality it's extremely clear you're the one pushing an agenda here.

Are the Jets really a better destination? Maybe not (I'd pick Denver if I was Cousins) but your efforts to discount the "Jets were more competitive" narrative are just out of touch with reality.

My man, you said...the Broncos mailed it in while the Jets were giving it all they got till the bitter end. It's patently wrong!  I proved this to you by the way they finished the season. Dude, they played head to head in week 14 and they made the Jets quit.  This is fact.  It was admitted to by the coaching staff.  Period point blank.

Were the Jets more competitive game by game?  Sure I guess...but who gives a ****? That wasnt what I was arguing and that wasnt your point.  See your post above: that's what spawned this argument and I'm sorry dude, it's wrong.  The Broncos were trying to win in week 17.  That's not what teams do who "gave up on the season". 

And lol that you would pick Denver if you were Cousins. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

My man, you said...the Broncos mailed it in while the Jets were giving it all they got till the bitter end. It's patently wrong!  I proved this to you by the way they finished the season. Dude, they played head to head in week 14 and they made the Jets quit.  This is fact.  It was admitted to by the coaching staff.  Period point blank.

Were the Jets more competitive game by game?  Sure I guess...but who gives a ****? That wasnt what I was arguing and that wasnt your point.  See your post above: that's what spawned this argument and I'm sorry dude, it's wrong.  The Broncos were trying to win in week 17.  That's not what teams do who "gave up on the season". 

And lol that you would pick Denver if you were Cousins. 

What are you talking about? You keep referencing Week 17 like one game matters more than 13 games. What I said is absolutely correct -- the Jets were a young team that fought hard in most of their games (and often had leads in the 4th quarter) but ended up losing because they weren't that good. The Broncos were a talented team with a bad coach that was prone to quitting when they fell behind because they didn't believe in the QB. I mean, you don't lose 8 straight games by huge margins with the talent they had on that team if you aren't dogging it.

And yeah, if I were Cousins I wouldn't pick the Jets. Not because they didn't fight hard last year -- because they are a historically poorly run organization that never gets the most our of their QBs. I'm looking at the larger history here. Doesn't mean the narrative you're arguing against isn't 100% true... It's just not that important.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

True the Broncos murdered us but I think the general point still stands. We're a young scrappy team that fought til the end of most games while the Broncos were a team of disinterested vets who gave up on the season pretty early on.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What are you talking about? You keep referencing Week 17 like one game matters more than 13 games. What I said is absolutely correct -- the Jets were a young team that fought hard in most of their games (and often had leads in the 4th quarter) but ended up losing because they weren't that good. The Broncos were a talented team with a bad coach that was prone to quitting when they fell behind because they didn't believe in the QB. I mean, you don't lose 8 straight games by huge margins with the talent they had on that team if you aren't dogging it.

And yeah, if I were Cousins I wouldn't pick the Jets. Not because they didn't fight hard last year -- because they are a historically poorly run organization that never gets the most our of their QBs. I'm looking at the larger history here. Doesn't mean the narrative you're arguing against isn't 100% true... It's just not that important.

I'm talking about what YOU said.  I've quoted it for you, for the 3rd time.  You said the Broncos were "disinterested vets who gave up on the season early on".  YOUR words.

So again, in week 14, which is last quarter of the season.  They forced another professional Football organization to quit.  I'm pretty sure, a team that  "gave up on the season" doesnt get other teams to quit in week 14.  They followed up that game with a win in week 15.  Week 15, is late in the season.  A victory late in the season usually doesnt come from team who have "gave up on the season".  In week 17, which is the last game of the season, they fought to the bitter end of the game.  Again, not the signs of a team who has "gave up on the season". 

So, help me out brother; if the Broncos "gave up on the season", why did they make the Jets quit in week 14, then beat the Colts in week 15 and then fight down to the wire in week 17 for a meaningless win?

And when you are playing 3 different QB's in an 8 week stretch, yeah, you can easily lose 8 straight games. A few years ago, we saw a playoff team lose 6 straight, still get into the playoffs and win a game and that team had their starter the entire time.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm talking about what YOU said.  I've quoted it for you, for the 3rd time.  You said the Broncos were "disinterested vets who gave up on the season early on".  YOUR words.

So again, in week 14, which is last quarter of the season.  They forced another professional Football organization to quit.  I'm pretty sure, a team that  "gave up on the season" doesnt get other teams to quit in week 14.  They followed up that game with a win in week 15.  Week 15, is late in the season.  A victory late in the season usually doesnt come from team who have "gave up on the season".  In week 17, which is the last game of the season, they fought to the bitter end of the game.  Again, not the signs of a team who has "gave up on the season". 

So, help me out brother; if the Broncos "gave up on the season", why did they make the Jets quit in week 14, then beat the Colts in week 15 and then fight down to the wire in week 17 for a meaningless win?

And when you are playing 3 different QB's in an 8 week stretch, yeah, you can easily lose 8 straight games. A few years ago, we saw a playoff team lose 6 straight, still get into the playoffs and win a game and that team had their starter the entire time.

I know what I said -- either you have reading comprehension problems or you think winning two of your last five games after dogging it all year means you actually fought the good fight.

Seriously, this would be like arguing that the Jets beating the Bills in Week 17 last year proved they didn't totally fold up shop and quit on Bowles even though anybody who watched the team would know they clearly did. You have zero argument here.

Well written, but a high degree of bullsh*t

• The Vikings were within a game of a superbowl. Why on earth would they go defacto-Keenum? They have total freedom to pursue any QB 
  • No mention of Kirk wanting to win.
  • He said the bar is low in NY (which it is) but he's going to be expected win now here too. This is NY, they will feast on his $140mil if we don't push well above .500
  • What kind of playmakers are we supporting Kirk with at the moment?
  • Coaching? Bowles is the antithesis to Peterson. 

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I know what I said -- either you have reading comprehension problems or you think winning two of your last five games after dogging it all year means you actually fought the good fight.

Seriously, this would be like arguing that the Jets beating the Bills in Week 17 last year proved they didn't totally fold up shop and quit on Bowles even though anybody who watched the team would know they clearly did. You have zero argument here.

Let me ask you this, why would a team "who dogged it" for 8 straight weeks decide to all of a sudden turn it on for the last 4 games of the season?

And your example is using a 1 game snap shot.  Whereas I'm taking about how a team ended the last quarter of the season.  Pretty big difference, broseph. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Let me ask you this, why would a team "who dogged it" for 8 straight weeks decide to all of a sudden turn it on for the last 4 games of the season?

And your example is using a 1 game snap shot.  Whereas I'm taking about how a team ended the last quarter of the season.  Pretty big difference, broseph. 

In the last quarter of the 2016 season the Jets were 2-2. In the last quarter of the season the 2017 Broncos were 2-2....

Seriously -- do you think the Broncos were a motivated team that didn't give up for long stretches of the season last year? I'm kind of baffled anyone would legitimately make this argument. I haven't seen anyone, including Broncos fans, attempt to argue this. They were non-competitive for over half their games.

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In the last quarter of the 2016 season the Jets were 2-2. In the last quarter of the season the 2017 Broncos were 2-2....

Seriously -- do you think the Broncos were a motivated team that didn't give up for long stretches of the season last year? I'm kind of baffled anyone would legitimately make this argument. I haven't seen anyone, including Broncos fans, attempt to argue this. They were non-competitive for over half their games.

The old, answer your question with a question routine?  I see you dog, I see you.

I'll say it again because apparently I like repeating myself; the Broncos had a revolving door at QB. I think that has more to do with their record and an 8 game losing streak than effort considering how the Broncos finished the season, including making another professional Football team quit in week 14.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

The old, answer your question with a question routine?  I see you dog, I see you.

I'll say it again because apparently I like repeating myself; the Broncos had a revolving door at QB. I think that has more to do with their record and an 8 game losing streak than effort considering how the Broncos finished the season, including making another professional Football team quit in week 14.

LOL, whatever "dog." If you want to cling to your false narrative that's on you "broseph." Have a good weekend.

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

LOL, whatever "dog." If you want to cling to your false narrative that's on you "broseph." Have a good weekend.

Let's look at my false narratives:

- The Broncos and Jets ended the season with the same record.

- The Broncos made the Jets quit in week 14.

- The Broncos won in week 15

- The Broncos played hard in week 17

- The Broncos started 3 different QB's in the season resulting in an 8 game losing streak and a 5-11 record

- The Broncos like the Jets were a bad Football team.

- The Broncos unlike the Jets, were good at least one phase of Football.

- The Broncos GM > the Jets GM

- The Broncos as an organization > the Jets as an organization 

- If the Jets were "trying hard" while losing over the last quarter of the season, then the Broncos were probably "trying hard" while winning a few games over the last quarter of the season.

I want you to know that I love despite our disagreement and me spinning all these false narratives. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

- The Broncos started 3 different QB's in the season resulting in an 8 game losing streak and a 5-11 record

- The Broncos as an organization > the Jets as organization 

- If the Jets were "trying hard" while losing, then the Broncos were probably "trying hard" while winning. 

I want you to know that I love despite our disagreement and me spinning all these false narratives. 

This is pretty much the part that agents/FA emphasize the most, and also the part people around here are mystically oblivious to (or willingfuly ignorant)

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

- The Broncos as an organization > the Jets as an organization 

- If the Jets were "trying hard" while losing over the last quarter of the season, then the Broncos were probably "trying hard" while winning a few games over the last quarter of the season.

I don’t see what makes Elway such a good GM? Because he bought a Super Bowl team with Peyton Manning?? 

I’m not saying Mac is better I just don’t get why people call him a good GM. At all. His drafting has been poor. What’s he done well?

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My favorite part of the article is where LaCanfora concedes that the Jets ownership situation will remain palatable until Donald Trump is inevitably impeached. Not a bad point, really, and something Cousins needs to consider.

I don't think he cares about anything regarding the ownership as long as he's getting a paycheck.  Chris? Woody?  Just show him the green.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'm not looking to drag politics into this, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the son of a pastor isn't a Democrat.

I don't think he cares about anything regarding the ownership as long as he's getting a paycheck.  

No, yeah. LaCanfora’s point was that Woody is terrible and the Jets are more appealing as long as Woody is in England.

4 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Maybe it's Maybelline Jacksonville.

In fact I think there's a very good chance that they dump Bortles and swoop in.

They can’t dump Bortles without absorbing his fully guaranteed 2018 salary of 19 mil.

Of course anything is possible, just more unlikely.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Editor: “**** it’s the offseason and we need clicks.”

Associate editor: “Some contrarian sh*t?”

Editor: “Sure, Yeah, but...”

LaCanfora: “We can say that the Jets are a premier landing spot for free agents.”

Associate editor: “Dude, come on.”

Editor: “Run with it.”

image.png

Nice article. Would be cool if it were true. I just don't see how a player would chose this team with Todd Bowles as the HC. Maybe Cousins comes here with the thought that the current OC rises to the HC position when Bowles is eventually fired. The guy is right in the sense that if Cousins delivers the goods on the field he would be an icon with the fans and media alike. There is good and bad in that though. Every move would scrutinized. Is Cousins the type of guy who can handle that? No one can say for certain. Be prepared for many more articles like this between now and the FA period starting. If they sign him I hope he knows what he is in for. There is no better place to win than in NYC. There is also no worse place to lose either. Hell is he ready for "Cousins you suck for missing that guy on blank and blank".

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm very real.  The Jets finished 1-4, getting blown out and forced to quit by the Broncos.  The Broncos proceed to win the following week finishing 2-3 during the same time frame. They fought tooth and nail week 17 while the Jets got blown out. 

Yet I'm supposed to accept your logic the Jets were playing hard and Broncos werent?  No.  You're wrong.  The facts say so.  You dont make another team quit if you've mailed it in.  You dont follow up and win the very next week, if you've mailed it in.  And you dont fight tooth and nail in week 17 for a meaningless victory, if you've mailed it.

I'm using fact.  You're using feelings. 

The power of perception is here again.

Interesting that if it’s a positive article , it’s “ oh they just need a story”, and when it is negative it’s “we’re a circus!”

Anyway, Bowles seems to be well regarded around the league. So either nobody in the league watches games or Bowles’ mistakes are more common than we perceive so they don’t stand out. Given what happened in the playoffs, I might go with more the second option than the first.

I like the reasoning behind the Vikings not being an option as opposed to other teams, I do have some issues with it though. I think Teddy will be a RFA and will only be on the books for $4M so they could back him (possibly give him more money later in FA after Cousins signs somewhere) I think Teddy will be the insurance for missing on Cousins.

If they offer a tag to Keenum he is probably going sign it immediately which means they can not go after Kirk. I like the idea of getting Cousins but I am fine if we don't get him. I'll be excited for next season as long as it's him or a rookie at 6.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

According to OTC, which is seldom wrong, 0 money is guaranteed to Bortles.  They save over $19M by cutting him

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars

It’s his 5yr option, it’s guaranteed from what I’ve read.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000800717/article/fifthyear-option-tracker-for-2014-firstround-picks

While all rookies are required to sign four-year deals out of the draft, teams have the option to pick up a fifth-year option on first-round picks. In that case, the fifth year's salary is guaranteed for injury when employed. For the 2014 draft class, that fifth season will be 2018, or the one after next. 

The fifth-year salary varies depending on how high the player was drafted. The top 10 selections receive a salary equal to the average of the 10 highest salaries at their position. For the remainder of the first round, the wage is the average of the third through 25th highest salaries at the position.

@flgreen

Archived