6 Possible QB Scenarios

Sarge4Tide

Rate these 6 possible Jets QB Scenarios........  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Jets Sign Free Agent QB Kirk Cousins to an outlandishly expensive contract........

• GREAT MOVE.......I STRONGLY APPROVE OF THIS MOVE!!!!!
    • Very Good Move!
    • All things considered, probably a good move
    • All things considered, probably a bad move
    • Very Bad Move!
    • HORRIBLE MOVE......HOW CAN ANY TEAM BE THIS STUPID!!!!
  2. 2. Jets trade up to draft USC QB Sam Darnold with a Top 5 pick........

• Very Good Move!
    • Very Bad Move!
  3. 3. Jets trade up to draft UCLA QB Josh Rosen with a Top 5 pick........

• Very Good Move!
    • Very Bad Move!
  4. 4. Jets draft Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield with the 6th pick........

• Very Good Move!
    • Very Bad Move!
  5. 5. Jets draft Wyoming QB Josh Allen with the 6th pick........

• Very Good Move!
    • Very Bad Move!
  6. 6. Jets trade down to draft Louisville QB Lamar Jackson with a mid-1st round pick......

• Very Good Move!
    • Very Bad Move!

Out of the QBs mentioned the guys I would be happy with are Cousins, Rosen, or Darnold.

I wouldn't hate it if they drafted Allen but I have my concerns about him.

I love Baker Mayfield but I'm worried he's not going to make it as a starter in the NFL (but I will be rooting for him) and I don't believe in Lamar Jackson.

garappollo just set the bar for top qb's.  cousins will not be cheap.  on the other hand, no matter which top qb prospect is chosen they will sit to start the season and possibly the whole season.  it's essentially a wasted year.  so even though a team may have the guy for up to 5 years, the first year is a wash so in reality it's only for 4 seasons of production.  and the top rookie contracts aren't cheap anymore. the top pick is probably going to get around 9 million per season.

I voted for each; but my simplified cop-out answer here too is that all these all depend on what else happens. 

If the Jets can draft a QB and 2 offensive line pieces I'll consider this a good draft regardless of what other option shakes out. 

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

What is hard is having to commit to Cousins before we know how the draft will fall.  If we sign Cousins and Darnold falls to us at 6, there is going to be a lot of hand-wringing in Jetsville.  

And if they miss out on Cousins and those guys are gone there is going to be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

garappollo just set the bar for top qb's.  cousins will not be cheap.  on the other hand, no matter which top qb prospect is chosen they will sit to start the season and possibly the whole season.  it's essentially a wasted year.  so even though a team may have the guy for up to 5 years, the first year is a wash so in reality it's only for 4 seasons of production.  and the top rookie contracts aren't cheap anymore. the top pick is probably going to get around 9 million per season.

I agree with this but was wondering about the last two statements.  Are the rookie contracts able to go that high?  I thought the contracts are basically pre-determined and are capped.  This year the number 1 pick will get somewhere around $6M in year one and escalate approximately $1.5M a year.  So the number 1 pick will get something like 4-years at $33M.  Still high for a rookie, but would be around <5% of the salary cap.

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

And if they miss out on Cousins and those guys are gone there is going to be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing. 

True, but that is something that's more within Macc's control.  Assuming that CLE only drafts one QB and IND doesn't draft one at all, then for all four of the top guys to be gone, somebody traded up ahead of us.  If we don't draft Cousins, and don't move up, and miss out on Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen (which I tend to doubt) then Macc should be cashing unemployment checks by the following Monday.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

True, but that is something that's more within Macc's control.  Assuming that CLE only drafts one QB and IND doesn't draft one at all, then for all four of the top guys to be gone, somebody traded up ahead of us.  If we don't draft Cousins, and don't move up, and miss out on Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen (which I tend to doubt) then Macc should be cashing unemployment checks by the following Monday.

What about if he waits and takes what falls to us and whoever it is (say Allen) sucks? Give him 3 years to "develop?"

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What about if he waits and takes what falls to us and whoever it is (say Allen) sucks? Give him 3 years to "develop?"

The way I see it (not necessarily a view shared by many) is that if he had a plan that landed us a premium guy, I'm okay with the risk, whichever of the top-4 it is.  I don't personally know if Allen will be better or worse than Mayfield (or even Rosen or Darnold).  I do believe the risk of drafting either of them is acceptable and much better than the risk of taking a defensive player at 6 and drafting the best available QB prospect in the second round or trading down and hoping to land Jackson in the middle of the first.

Put another way, if he stays at 6 and gets one of the top-4 guys, then he at least did something to give us a reasonable chance to solve the QB problem.  I don't know enough to say if trading multiple picks to move up to get a different guy would be better.  If he stays at 6 and doesn't draft a QB and we didn't sign Cousins (or maybe trade for Foles) then he absolutely failed at the single most important thing he is here to do.

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

For each possible QB move the Jets might make, please select the response that best reflects your reaction to the move.

when it comes to Kirk Cousins or any above average QB you never see them on the open market as free agents so there will be a possible bidding war and over payment since so many teams need a QB and its so damn hard to hit on one in the draft. He wont be getting paid on his ability alone. Because so many teams will show interest you are going to have to pay more then you normally would. Perfect scenario for Kirk not so perfect for the teams that need him.

If the Jets Do get cousins they had better be prepared to surround him with top notch talent otherwise don't waste the money or time. We certainly have enough money and draft picks to become a dynamic offense basically over night.

57 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

I agree with this but was wondering about the last two statements.  Are the rookie contracts able to go that high?  I thought the contracts are basically pre-determined and are capped.  This year the number 1 pick will get somewhere around $6M in year one and escalate approximately $1.5M a year.  So the number 1 pick will get something like 4-years at $33M.  Still high for a rookie, but would be around <5% of the salary cap.

And still MUCH cheaper than top rookies under prior CBA

ONly one I voted as bad move is the trade down for Jackson. Not Jackson per se, although I don't like the idea of a QB that runs half the time. More about the idea of trading down with the idea of getting a specific player when you have no idea if he will be there when you pick. If he were to fall far enough you could potentially use both 2s to trade back into end of first but still high risk.

3 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

wentz signed for about 26.7, trubitsky for about 29.  so it looks like the first round salaries are increasing.  so maybe this year's top pick won't get 36 for 4 years but something around 32-33 isn't out of the question.

Our best bet is to take a big swing at Cousins and if that doesn't work, take a big swing to trade up for Darnold (or Rosen, though I favor Darnold).  

We'll see where Cousins wants to go.  I'm not enamored with him as a quarterback but he's a no-brainer top 1/3 of the league quarterback and we'd be insane to not try to sign him.  We've got the cap for Cousins (+ other free agents) and he's young enough to build a team around.  

Cousins/Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield I'm fine with any of these even if that means trading up.

Allen at 6 if everyone else goes in the top 5 and we like him. I don't want to take someone just to take them.

Jackson I'd be excited but I hope he goes to an NFC team so I can watch him but not worry about him.

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

What is hard is having to commit to Cousins before we know how the draft will fall.  If we sign Cousins and Darnold falls to us at 6, there is going to be a lot of hand-wringing in Jetsville.  

LOL

Yep, that's the thing.  On the flip side, if we don't sign Cousins, and Denver takes the 4th QB, Jets draft Fitzpatrick, who is actually a S. well "because he was a steal at 6".   There will be a meltdown in Jetsville.  lol

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Yep, that's the thing.  On the flip side, if we don't sign Cousins, and Denver takes the 4th QB, Jets draft Fitzpatrick, who is actually a S. well "because he was a steal at 6".   There will be a meltdown in Jetsville.  lol

@nycdan It's such bad way to structure a league but because there is no voice for rookies in CBA negotiations that's why it is the way it is. If the draft came first that means less money for the vets. The NFLPA has gotta be the weakest union of all the major sports.

24 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

I would actually love Fitzpatrick on this team. We sign another #1 CB like Trumaine J. on top of that and the Jets just might have the best defensive backfield in the game. But yeah, Jetsville would crumble but I'd rather have the dbs

Archived