If Jets lose out on Cousins and Draft goes this way, what's the plan?

Sully80

Honestly?  There would be none.  If that's how the cards fall, Macc should be, and likely will be, as good as fired after the season because he utterly failed to properly address the position.  At that point, we as fans should just hope he passes on a 1st round QB so we're not stuck developing some bum who was totally undeserving of his draft slot for the next 5 years.

I'm already borderline manic over the idea of drafting Allen at 6.  Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph?  I don't even want to consider those guys as possibilities.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The colts are locked in on Barkley unless they think Luck is never coming back

Not necessarily. Indy needs a pass rusher, so I could definitely see them taking Chubb.

I honestly think it's more likely they take Chubb than Barkley

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. McCown (resigned)

2. Hackenberg

3. Luke Falk (2nd Round 2018 Draft Pick)

Think it can't happen?  Just wait a while and see.

Was just watching Falk highlight films.  Seems like a short and intermediate pass guy, or at least that's the offense he's playing in.  He seems accurate and gets the ball out of his quickly.  Didn't see him really survey the field, but he seemed serviceable.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Why so Bowles can start McCown HELL NO 

He's not the long term answer and we all want a long term answer now, but he was what 67% completion rate this year and not too many INTs on a crappy team that wasn't supposed to win any games.  How much better could Cousins have done with that team?  I could suck it up if we had to go one more year with him and had the opportunity to use $100M and 9 picks in building this team.  We could go far with even just a servicable QB. 

Regardless, I hope we get Cousins and have a franchise QB so we can have a foundation to build on.  The revolving door is really getting annoying.

21 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Barkley is for sure going top 10.  Professional analysts are saying they've never seen a RB prospect like him in years.

He was incredible for Penn State, especially last year.  Able to break a long runs, or take a short pass to the house any time.  This year teams just focussed on stopping him, but with the players they had to commit to do that, it opened up plays all over the field for McSorely.  He's a difference maker.  230 lbs with Barry Sanders moves and speed.

Barkley is for sure going top 10.  Professional analysts are saying they've never seen a RB prospect like him in years.

We’ll see. Just a gut feeling for me. I think the top 10 teams are going to be weighing Barkley with a 2nd round pick vs a different 1st round pick and guys like Michel in the 2nd. This draft is very deep at RB and I think it will play into it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

We’ll see. Just a gut feeling for me. I think the top 10 teams are going to be weighing Barkley with a 2nd round pick vs a different 1st round pick and guys like Michel in the 2nd. This draft is very deep at RB and I think it will play into it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I've seen crazier things happen.  One thing I've learned is that whatever people think is going to happen in the draft normally does not.  With that said I pray that the Jets realistically end up with Michel or Jones II.  

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Saw this while browsing Barkley stuff...

https://www.ndtscouting.com/marino-new-york-jets-pre-combine-7-round-mock-draft/

"I heard some buzz in Mobile that the Jets have been one of the most frequent visitors to UCLA of late."

You hear that folks. FRE-QUENT VISITORS. Get on board. Macs moving up.

I saw the Jets plane at Long Beach (CA) airport last week, fwiw...

9 hours ago, Sully80 said:

Assuming Mac doesn't have the stones to trade up, the board falls like this:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Allen (trade)

4. Barkley

5. Mayfield

6. ????

Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

BPA... so macc will draft minkah  :/

9 hours ago, Sully80 said:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Allen (trade)

4. Barkley

5. Mayfield

6. ????

Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

Trade down to the mid-teens and take Jackson.

11 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Saquon Barkley Game By Game Stats

Season:  

15 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Season:  

Yea I hope he goes before us, I do like him but would prefer another position. I like Guice, Michel and Jones a lot and would expect one of them to be there in the 2nd

12 hours ago, HighPitch said:

It IS a very possible scenario..... 

If thats the case the jets need to nab a chubb or that rb. Maybe qb in the 2nd.

If we dont get cousins, i dont want any other fa qb. Draft one. Lamar jackson? Someone

I just don't see this as possible, I'd be furious if the Jets get out bid for that #3 pick. We have more ammo than anyone that would trade up, there is no excuse.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I just don't see this as possible, I'd be furious if the Jets get out bid for that #3 pick. We have more ammo than anyone that would trade up, there is no excuse.

The last thing i want is to trade up. We need our 2 2nd rounders bad. 

Stay put and see how it unfolds

42 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The last thing i want is to trade up. We need our 2 2nd rounders bad. 

Stay put and see how it unfolds

I think we'll get a better idea after free agency but I don't think it's a good idea to settle for a QB when you have money and picks. If we like any of the top picks then let them fall to you but I think GMs will fall for certain prospects and want to secure their guy.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Season:  

How he only ran over his average YPC in 2 games? Akron and Nebraska games really skewed his stats...

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I hope he goes before us, I do like him but would prefer another position. I like Guice, Michel and Jones a lot and would expect one of them to be there in the 2nd

I think the Lions will be all over Guice in the first round. Depends on if they lose Ansah but they have a definite need for a top young RB. I wouldn't count on him getting out of the 1st.

46 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I think the Lions will be all over Guice in the first round. Depends on if they lose Ansah but they have a definite need for a top young RB. I wouldn't count on him getting out of the 1st.

Yea I think he likely goes in the first but I don't think 4 RBs go before 37.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Sully80 said:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Allen (trade)

4. Barkley

5. Mayfield

6. ????

the problem with this scenario is that it's unlikely that any of the top free agents won't be signed before the draft takes place.  but if this is the way things shake out, i think i'd rather see the jets go with your plan and then also draft a qb later like lauletta, falk or rudolph.  the bottom line is they need a qb, period, and just about before they fill in the other pieces.  of course if they don't sign cousins then they will also have a boatload of money to get some top free agents at other positions.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:20 PM, Sully80 said:

Stop fighting the Hypo, Vikings sign Cousins, Bills trade up to 3, all FA QBs are available

Not true. If we don't sign Cousins, and I'm really hoping we don't, then we will look to the draft. The other free agent QBs will most likely be signed by then. 

On 2/12/2018 at 8:18 PM, kevinc855 said:

None of those teams can match the jets money 

Yes they can. We're not throwing 40 million at a QB. 30 would be the ball park, and several other teams can afford the same. Cousins is not going to let a couple million affect his choice. I've read that he studies the teams from all angles and will put a lot of thought into his decision. Also heard that the Jets will not break the bank for him. He is a slightly above average QB that we should not overpay for. There is a reason why the Redskins didn't want him anymore. They don't view him as a great QB. Why should we? I would think the Jags, if they are not on the hook for Bortles, would be a really great place to go. Live in Florida, pay less in taxes, great all around team. Hell, he would probably go there for 5 million less and he would be right to do it.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:11 PM, King P said:

Not necessarily. Indy needs a pass rusher, so I could definitely see them taking Chubb.

I honestly think it's more likely they take Chubb than Barkley

True. They would be smart to take Chubb and then a RB in the second round since they will be picking high in the second. If this happens, we should hopefully grab our QB or, if we have one already, grab Barkley, because you know the Colts will go RB in the second in front of us.

Archived