If Jets lose out on Cousins and Draft goes this way, what's the plan?

Sully80

On 2/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Sully80 said:

Assuming Mac doesn't have the stones to trade up, the board falls like this:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Allen (trade)

4. Barkley

5. Mayfield

6. ????

Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

Simple. Trade down there by gaining more picks and select Mason Rudolph with a 2nd rounder or select Nelson or McGlinchey with the 6th overall and still take Rudolph in the 2nd round.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, estang74 said:

you wont need to trade up for Rudolph and trading both second rounders to trade up when the Jets have a ton of needs to fill I don't think would be a good idea.

Rudolph is getting insanely underrated in this draft class

Assuming Mac doesn't have the stones to trade up, the board falls like this:
1. Darnold
2. Rosen
3. Allen (trade)
4. Barkley
5. Mayfield
6. ????
Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

Eagles are not cutting Foles or letting him go.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He looked really good in the combine. I really didn't see much difference with him from the other QB's He's got an excellent arm. I could easily see him going late 1st or early 2nd.

18 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don't see Rudolph lasting past Arizona at #15 unless they truly like Lamar Jackson better....which is being debated out here in Phoenix.  Local sports talk thinks it will come down to one of those two if the Cardinals do not trade up.

I actually expect 6 QBs to go in Round 1.  Wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans or Pittsburgh use their late 1st Round picks (27 and 28 respectively) to put young QBs behind Roethlisberger and Brees.  Jackson, Rudolph and Falk could all get consideration before Day 1 is done.  Just look at last year with many of the QBs going 5 to 10 spots higher than most people had them valued (Trubisky at #2?  Mahomes at #10? etc.).  Even if people are putting a 2nd round grade on Rudolph I wouldn't be shocked if he sneaks into the 1st Round.  Never know.

29 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't see Rudolph lasting past Arizona at #15 unless they truly like Lamar Jackson better....which is being debated out here in Phoenix.  Local sports talk thinks it will come down to one of those two if the Cardinals do not trade up.

I actually expect 6 QBs to go in Round 1.  Wouldn't be surprised if New Orleans or Pittsburgh use their late 1st Round picks (27 and 28 respectively) to put young QBs behind Roethlisberger and Brees.  Jackson, Rudolph and Falk could all get consideration before Day 1 is done.  Just look at last year with many of the QBs going 5 to 10 spots higher than most people had them valued (Trubisky at #2?  Mahomes at #10? etc.).  Even if people are putting a 2nd round grade on Rudolph I wouldn't be shocked if he sneaks into the 1st Round.  Never know.

Any of White, Lauletta or Falk will be better than Rudolph, IMO.

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, counselor. :) 

If we're not trading up for Darnold or Rosen, why just settle with Mayfield & overdraft him at 6 when we have 2 second round picks & we could take a guy that looks like he was designed to be a WCO QB in Kyle Lauletta? His accuracy was awesome yesterday, sure he had some trouble with some deep outs but even Brady doesn't throw many deep outs anymore. 

Aren't smarts, good footwork, a quick release & accuracy the 4 tenets of the WCO? Everything I read Darnold & Rosen are the concensus 1 & 2 best QBs in the draft. I would think the 2nd level is pretty much who you think fits the type of offense your running.

Big difference getting Chubb/Barkley at 6 + Lauletta, Michel/Chubb/Jones at RB in the 2nd round. Picking high in the 3rd we might see Daniels at Center there? 

Id be stoked with a draft of Bradley Chubb, Michel/Chubb or Jones at RB, Lauletta at QB and Daniels at Center. 

Sounds like the jets are already looking At plans B-H. 

Report: Jets fear Kirk Cousins is heading to the Vikings

Mike Florio

Then there were four. Eventually there will be one. And one of the four thinks the one will be the Vikings.

transparent-320x50.gif

Ralph Vacchiano of SNY reports that the Jets are taking the Minnesota threat seriously “after some informal, preliminary talks with his camp this week.”

Yes, informal, preliminary talks technically are prohibited. But they happen, every year involving every team. Any team that isn’t doing it has put itself at a competitive disadvantage. So if the Jets have had informal, preliminary talks with the Cousins camp, the Vikings have, too, and the planets are starting to align as to the quarterback’s future.

The Jets, per Vacchiano, have heard enough to move on to “Plans B and C and, if possibly D” at quarterback. Although the Jets believe, per Vacchiano, that they can offer more money and a better structure to Cousins, the Jets fear that Cousins would take less to go to Minnesota for a better chance to win.

In a Super Bowl week visit to PFT Live, Cousins spoke about the balance between taking less to win and getting full and fair franchise quarterback compensation.

The Vikings continue to be the ultimate wild card in the coming quarterback chase. With three of their own unrestricted free agents on the roster and multiple other options elsewhere (Cousins, A.J. McCarron, and theoretically Drew Brees), the Vikings have plenty of choices. The problem is that they eventually choose one, at the exclusion of all others.

Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman recently joined PFT Live to discuss the situation. Watch the interview and search for clues. For example, when Spielman says they plan to make a decision by March 14, does that mean they’re leaning toward re-signing one of their own? Or would they do a Brock Osweiler-style sight-unseen deal with someone they don’t know?

Spielman regards the situation as more blessing than curse, but there could be plenty of cursing if they pick the wrong guy — and if the guys they don’t pick end up thriving elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

If we're not trading up for Darnold or Rosen, why just settle with Mayfield & overdraft him at 6 when we have 2 second round picks & we could take a guy that looks like he was designed to be a WCO QB in Kyle Lauletta? His accuracy was awesome yesterday, sure he had some trouble with some deep outs but even Brady doesn't throw many deep outs anymore. 

Aren't smarts, good footwork, a quick release & accuracy the 4 tenets of the WCO? Everything I read Darnold & Rosen are the concensus 1 & 2 best QBs in the draft. I would think the 2nd level is pretty much who you think fits the type of offense your running.

Big difference getting Chubb/Barkley at 6 + Lauletta, Michel/Chubb/Jones at RB in the 2nd round. Picking high in the 3rd we might see Daniels at Center there? 

Id be stoked with a draft of Bradley Chubb, Michel/Chubb or Jones at RB, Lauletta at QB and Daniels at Center. 

I agree on Rosen and Darnold.  After that it's more of a crapshoot between Allen, Mayfield and then guys like Rudolph, Jackson, Lauletta, Falk, etc.  I'm not sure I'd want to take Lauletta simply because he "fits the system."  If we pick the right QB he's going to last much longer than the offensive coordinator will IMO, and having a guy who may struggle with the deep ball eventually limits a team (see Ryan Fitzpatrick).

I'm not a huge Mayfield fan but there are many reputable voices saying he's absolutely worth a Top 10 pick.  I don't know about him or Josh Allen but both are compelling at #6 to me.

Everyone else you mentioned (Bradley Chubb presumably at #6.....Michel, Chubb or Jones in Round 2 and Daniels in Round 2) I'd be 100% onboard with.  In fact, my dream scenario would be if the Jets could land Cousins and completely take QB need off the board at #6, allowing them to go Bradley Chubb, Jones and then Daniels.  QB, RB and C (the straight up middle of the O addressed in one offseason) + the true demon pass rusher the Jets have lacked since John Abraham.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree on Rosen and Darnold.  After that it's more of a crapshoot between Allen, Mayfield and then guys like Rudolph, Jackson, Lauletta, Falk, etc.  I'm not just not I'd want to take Lauletta simply because he "fits the system."  If we pick the right QB he's going to last much longer than the offensive coordinator will IMO, and having a guy who may struggle with the deep ball eventually limits a team (see Ryan Fitzpatrick).

I'm not a huge Mayfield fan but there are many reputable voices saying he's absolutely worth a Top 10 pick.  I don't know about him or Josh Allen but both are compelling at #6 to me.

Everyone else you mentioned (Bradley Chubb presumably at #6.....Michel, Chubb or Jones in Round 2 and Daniels in Round 2) I'd be 100% onboard with.  In fact, my dream scenario would be if the Jets could land Cousins and completely take QB need off the board at #6, allowing them to go Bradley Chubb, Jones and then Daniels.  QB, RB and C (the straight up middle of the O addressed in one offseason) + the true demon pass rusher the Jets have lacked since John Abraham.

We could easily be in for a Chubb / Michel / cb draft with bridgewater as the qb, which really doesn't solve anything, doesn't excite the fan base, doesn't give fans a jersey to buy and would again defer the qb conundrum to the next offseason.

This regime hasn’t valued QB’s or edge players in the first round. I think Chubb is just as unlikely as any QB at 6.

Expect the Jets to take a corner or the interior DL from Alabama. History kind of points at this. Bowles has an idea of what he wants the team to look like.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This regime hasn’t valued QB’s or edge players in the first round. I think Chubb is just as unlikely as any QB at 6.

Expect the Jets to take a corner or the interior DL from Alabama. History kind of points at this. Bowles has an idea of what he wants the team to look like.

Lol yes. History shows they’ll now avoid those two positions from now on. Good take. 

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

We could easily be in for a Chubb / Michel / cb draft with bridgewater as the qb, which really doesn't solve anything, doesn't excite the fan base, doesn't give fans a jersey to buy and would again defer the qb conundrum to the next offseason.

Nobody knows Bridgewater better than the Vikings....and they don't seem to want him.

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Lol yes. History shows they’ll now avoid those two positions from now on. Good take. 

We have 3 drafts and trends have developed. It’s no secret Bowles ain’t playing a rookie QB or that he has a type of edge player he likes. 

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We've had 3 defensive minded HC's in a row (Mangini, Rex, Bowles) and we've continued to draft Defensive players early and often, neglecting the offense.  Yet, the Jets still play mediocre defense at best.  It's mind boggling and infuriating.  They've hit every level of the defense in the Line (the Wilkerson, Richardson, Leo Williams drafts), the LB corps (Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins, L. Mauldin), and the secondary (Adams, Maye, Milliner, Pryor).

The fact that the HC and organization CONTINUES to need more talent on defense is an indictment of both Management (who can't draft the right defenders) and the HC (who can't take EIGHT 1st Round defenders in a row and get good defense).

The best defense may just be a good offense.  If the Jets want to give up fewer points then get an offense that stays on the field!

(Off my soapbox)

Just now, jetstream23 said:

We've had 3 defensive minded HC's in a row (Mangini, Rex, Bowles) and we've continued to draft Defensive players early and often, neglecting the offense.  Yet, the Jets still play mediocre defense at best.  It's mind boggling and infuriating.  They've hit every level of the defense in the Line (the Wilkerson, Richardson, Leo Williams drafts), the LB corps (Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins, L. Mauldin), and the secondary (Adams, Maye, Milliner, Pryor).

The fact that the HC and organization CONTINUES to need more talent on defense is an indictment of both Management (who can't draft the right defenders) and the HC (who can't take EIGHT 1st Round defenders in a row and get good defense).

The best defense may just be a good offense.  If the Jets want to give up fewer points then get an offense that stays on the field!

(Off my soapbox)

I keep wondering what it will take for a jets gm to realize that drafting offense is necessary early in the draft.  If cousins spurns them?  If other FAs on offense don't come here?  And you'd think bowles and mccagnan would sick and tired of having the ny and national media continally rank the jets as having the worst offense, worst qb, worst offensive skill players, etc.  yet they think they can keep drafting defense and then fix it by cutting everyone and giving cousins half their salary cap.  Is this what mccagnan learned in Houston?

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

(Off my soapbox)

At least give Rex this- once Favre said he wasn’t coming back he hitched his wagon to a young QB.

What Bowles has done with the offense is nothing short of pathetic. This will be year 4 of a regime that has yet to commit to a young QB. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

At least give Rex this- once Favre said he wasn’t coming back he hitched his wagon to a young QB.

What Bowles has done with the offense is nothing short of pathetic. This will be year 4 of a regime that has yet to commit to a young QB. 

Rex not only hitched his wagon to an unproven rookie who only had like 18 starts in college he went against popular opinion at the time which was to start Kellen Clemens who had been in the nfl 3 years by then

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I keep wondering what it will take for a jets gm to realize that drafting offense is necessary early in the draft.  If cousins spurns them?  If other FAs on offense don't come here?  And you'd think bowles and mccagnan would sick and tired of having the ny and national media continally rank the jets as having the worst offense, worst qb, worst offensive skill players, etc.  yet they think they can keep drafting defense and then fix it by cutting everyone and giving cousins half their salary cap.  Is this what mccagnan learned in Houston?

If we take Chubb or Davenport at 6 that would be fine.  Drafting Minkah or Denzel Perry would be a typical inept horsesh-t Jets move

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

It simply makes no sense.  The most confidence that I had in this organization was the year the Jets hired Mangini and then used both 1st round picks on Offensive Line (Brick and Mangold).  It showed me that they were ready to build a foundation the right way and then could try to add a QB later (they obviously missed with Sanchez but I give them credit for swinging for the fences that year).  This Jets team has put itself in a position where they can't even compete for a Free Agent QB like Cousins, not because they don't have the money, but because Cousins would have nobody to protect him (Center who?) and nobody to throw to (Guesses at starting WRs in 2018 anyone?).  At least we have a stud running back.  (crickets chirping)

If the offense was a child the Jets would be in prison for neglect!

Just now, Philc1 said:

Rex not only hitched his wagon to an unproven rookie who only had like 18 starts in college he went against popular opinion at the time which was to start Kellen Clemens who had been in the nfl 3 years by then

He had no choice.  Tannenbaum didn't answer to him and at least he tried.  Mccagnan sits there and watches other teams take shots at qbs.  Wait till tanny trades to the 3 or 4 spot to get the qb we want.  Then mccags will take Chubb and we'll have to watch our qb on the dolphins.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

He had no choice.  Tannenbaum didn't answer to him and at least he tried.  Mccagnan sits there and watches other teams take shots at qbs.  Wait till tanny trades to the 3 or 4 spot to get the qb we want.  Then mccags will take Chubb and we'll have to watch our qb on the dolphins.

To be fair to Bowles Petty and Hack were both horrible players.  Sanchez buttfumbling is still a way better qb than those two wastes of time

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It simply makes no sense.  The most confidence that I had in this organization was the year the Jets hired Mangini and then used both 1st round picks on Offensive Line (Brick and Mangold).  It showed me that they were ready to build a foundation the right way and then could try to add a QB later (they obviously missed with Sanchez but I give them credit for swinging for the fences that year).  This Jets team has put itself in a position where they can't even compete for a Free Agent QB like Cousins, not because they don't have the money, but because Cousins would have nobody to protect him (Center who?) and nobody to throw to (Guesses at starting WRs in 2018 anyone?).  At least we have a stud running back.  (crickets chirping)

If the offense was a child the Jets would be in prison for neglect!

Mccags thinks he can luck into a qb so he can draft how a scout would draft, BAP, and not how a gm would draft, which is, find a qb no matter what.  There never seems to be any sense of urgency to anything mccagnan does.  And he seems to come up with these phony reasons not to take offensive players in the first round.  And he genually does not seem to realize that the reason these defensive players fall to him is because other teams are drafting offensive players to adapt to a changing nfl where flags are thrown on defensive players for anything.

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We have 3 drafts and trends have developed. It’s no secret Bowles ain’t playing a rookie QB or that he has a type of edge player he likes. 

I'm not sure we can confirm or deny this. Based off what I saw the last 3 years that could just as easily have been him playing the best QB we had. The way we force fed reps to Hack last preseason it seemed pretty evident they wanted him to win the starting job. 

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not sure we can confirm or deny this. Based off what I saw the last 3 years that could just as easily have been him playing the best QB we had. The way we force fed reps to Hack last preseason it seemed pretty evident they wanted him to win the starting job. 

Watson and Mahomes were on the board at 6 and we passed. 

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Mccags thinks he can luck into a qb so he can draft how a scout would draft, BAP, and not how a gm would draft, which is, find a qb no matter what.  There never seems to be any sense of urgency to anything mccagnan does.  And he seems to come up with these phony reasons not to take offensive players in the first round.  And he genually does not seem to realize that the reason these defensive players fall to him is because other teams are drafting offensive players to adapt to a changing nfl where flags are thrown on defensive players for anything.

Maccagans apparent lack of urgency I think directly stems from Bowles philosophy when it comes to veterans. Why use a first round pick on a QB you know won’t play? He’s also got the built in cop out when he hedges on a QB in the second.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Maccagans apparent lack of urgency I think directly stems from Bowles philosophy when it comes to veterans. Why use a first round pick on a QB you know won’t play? He’s Alain got the built in cop out when he hedges on a QB in the second.

For two guys who have been around the nfl for decades, you'd think that one of them would at least try to get a good young qb.  It's as if they both think the best way to build a team is like the 2000 ravens, rather than any other super bowl winner the past 30 years.

Archived