PFF: Tape, Numbers say Mayfield should be #1 Pick

JetFreak89

1 minute ago, BUM-KNEE said:

In a few years we should know which QB was the "best" in this draft, but I think Mayfield fits good with the Jets.

He can definately buy time with his legs till our O-line becomes a point of strength instead of weakness.

Well it would certainly get headlines. I think that may be the actual KPI ownership puts into managements' annual goals.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a few years we should know which QB was the "best" in this draft, but I think Mayfield fits good with the Jets.

He can definately buy time with his legs till our O-line becomes a point of strength instead of weakness.

And he could definitely run those RPO plays which were so successful for the Eagles. That sh*ts right up his alley!

6 hours ago, jgb said:

NFL is a copycat league but it's also a big ship that takes awhile to turn. There are plenty of old school evaluators who swear by the measurables. Mayfield won't even be on a lot of draft boards. Unfortunately, Macc is one of those old school guys...

Mayfield won't be on Macc's draft board?  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mayfield slips to round 7 but Macc is going to stick to the board and not take him. Love it.

Agreed...and I know exactly how to make sure he's a Jet. Everyone needs to start tweeting at Woody about how many Mayfield jersey's and PSL's we would buy if he was taken in the draft!

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I love these type of ABSOLUTE posts. Listen, I get it, it's fun to just STATE something as fact that not one of know yet because it hasn't happened but Jetsnation needs to repost this at the top of their page if Baker Mayfield becomes a good NFL QB. That way everyone can just skip over your absolute opinions.

I'm sorry, I missed the part where I guaranteed anything and claimed an absolute.

Mayfield might be awesome in the NFL.  I dont know...but he's doesnt do anything eye popping or special.  He's just a fiery competitor who hits open receivers!  

I've already stated, I'm warming up the idea because it's time they Jets take some chances but there is nothing special about Baker Mayfield's game. 

46 minutes ago, JiF said:

There is absolutely nothing special about Baker Mayfield.  Nothing.  Average measurable, average athlete, average arm.  He's super accurate throwing to wide open receivers.  The only thing "special" about him is that he's a fierce competitor. 

All these other guys at least something special that wows you or that you can focus on and be excited about:

Rosen - size, polish and arm strength.

Allen - size, athleticism and arm strength

Darnold - size, arm and a flare for the dramatics in the big moments

Jackson - size, arm, athleticism, speed, rare combination

Rudolph - size, arm, polish

If you draft Baker Mayfield, it better be the perfect system, with an outstanding OL and weapons galore because he is not the type of player to elevate an average offense with his skillz.  All those other dudes, at least have that in them. Whether they can do it or not at the next level is yet to be determined but at least there is something there to get you excited outside of competitive spirit. 

Nothing special, then lists something "special".

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Mayfield won't be on Macc's draft board?  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mayfield slips to round 7 but Macc is going to stick to the board and not take him. Love it.

LOL rookie mistake I left the door wide open to an effective reductio ad absurdum retort. Well played.

To be more precise old school guys are likely to move him far enough down to have the practical effect of him being selected way before he becomes a palatable based on their boards. Macc may have enough self-reflective tendencies to throw out what hasn't been working and take a gamble (according to his sensibilities)... Here's hoping. But all the evidence to date suggests Macc takes the lowest-risk highest-graded "consensus" player when his turn comes around in the 1st...

Just now, jgb said:

LOL rookie mistake I left the door wide open to an effective reductio ad absurdum retort. Well played.

To be more precise old school guys are likely to move him far enough down to have the practical effect of him being off the board way before he becomes a "value" based on their boards.

I do think Macc will have a high 1st round grade on him. It wasn't that long ago that people said he wasn't a 1st round pick. Now everyone seems to agree his is a high 1st round pick. With the debate being is he # 1.

Anyway you slice it, this is good for the Jets. If they sign Cousins, they can trade # 6 if a QB slips or take a player that dropped because others are taking QBs.  If they don't sign Cousins they will have options.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I do think Macc will have a high 1st round grade on him. It wasn't that long ago that people said he wasn't a 1st round pick. Now everyone seems to agree his is a high 1st round pick. With the debate being is he # 1.

Anyway you slice it, this is good for the Jets. If they sign Cousins, they can trade # 6 if a QB slips or take a player that dropped because others are taking QBs.  If they don't sign Cousins they will have options.

I always feel a little better reading your posts. Your optimism is inspiring. Let's hope whether it be FA/draft/both Macc sends one into the upper deck this off season!

7 minutes ago, BCJet said:

What about the fact the fact that Mayfield is a winner and has been for his entire life in literally every single thing he has done and Rosen was barely able to crack a .500 winning % in the games he played?  Rosen looks great in shorts but aside from a vastly overrated comeback in week 1 this year, had a pretty pedestrian junior season for someone with such talent.

We cant measure these guys abilities in the QB room/Xs and Os as none of us know them, however I look at this list and say "if I had to play a football game for $1million, who would I take as my QB".  And without question Id take Darnold or Mayfield over Rosen and certainly over Allen.

Tim Tebow was a winner.  Greg McElroy lost 1 game in college. Baker Mayfield really hasnt won anything other than his conference a couple of times in the most lopsided conference in Football.  Winning is cool to use to project a college QB but it's not a great predictor of NFL success.  

I look for players that have something special to offer.  Like last year for an example, Mahomes arm.  You cant teach that.  Or Watson who was the total package but you cant teach his athleticism/big stage factor/character. 

Mayfield is a fiery competitor, that's not enough for me.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I always feel a little better reading your posts. Your optimism is inspiring. Let's hope whether it be FA/draft/both Macc sends one into the upper deck this off season!

I think they are going to sign Cousins so all the QB draft talk will have been for nothing. That is my belief.

Just now, Maxman said:

I think they are going to sign Cousins so all the QB draft talk will have been for nothing. That is my belief.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I prefer Mayfield over cousins. I'm sure this post will come back to haunt me.

The Jets need to play it cool. Not trade up to 3 to draft a guy who is a coin flip to make it to 6 anyway. 

I'm not going to sit here and bash Mayfield (cause he's awesome) but he did play in a bad conference and he was surrounded by 5 star preps. If Mayfield falls to 6 it's value and Mac loves value. 

Someone's going to fall. There's not going to be 5 qbs taken before 6. 

the two things we can all be sure of is 1) it won't be Darnold who doesn't fall past the Giants who love generic white dudes with pedigree and 2) Josh Rosen would be Woody Johnson's worst nightmare. Even if he somehow falls to 6, Mac could land himself in the doghouse for taking Rosen. The character concerns for Rosen are real but they are political and only among billionaires. I won't say further in respect of Max's rules. But use google. He says what he wants and NFL owners hate that quality in a franchise QB. 

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I haven't seen Mayfield's arm strength get called into question though. I don't think that there is any problem with it, it's a subjective term "same ball park" but to me that means those two are in a certain level together while others aren't, if Allen has arm strength as a positive I think it's bias to leave Mayfield out.

I think Mayfield would be a lock #1 pick if he were 3 inches taller. We've seen this type of player succeed in the NFL and if you don't think you can get Darnold or Rosen then he is the best option. I think there are bigger question marks with Jackson and Allen because of how inaccurate they've been. I think the under pressure completion percentage is a big stat.

Now for my irrational reason for liking Mayfield, you can absolutely mock it because I don't think there is a way to quantify it. I think there is just something about the fire he brings to the table, I think his teammates view him as a football player instead of "a QB". You know almost like the way you look at a kicker and say "is he really a football player, we aren't allow to touch him". I think he is a player that can get the most out of the pieces around him, I think his teammates would run through a brick wall for him. I love the chip on his shoulder I think that is an important trait to have but again theres no way to quantify that.

So, you agree that there is nothing special about Mayfield.  Other than you look at him and say, he can do this based on whatever criteria you cant really define.  Look, that's cool.  It's just not enough for me to take that player at #6 or trade up for him.  If that works for you, sweet.  I'd like a little more out of my QB.

I'd love to know the amount of throws he actually made in the face of pressure.  I never saw him face pressure until they played Georgia in the 2nd half and they clearly got to him as he wasnt the same player once the script ended and they had to call plays on the spot. 

Just now, jgb said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but I prefer Mayfield over cousins. I'm sure this post will come back to haunt me.

Well, Mayfield would be fun to root for no doubt. I think Cousins is safer and that is where they will go. 

Just now, bitonti said:

I'm not going to sit here and bash Mayfield (cause he's awesome) but he did play in a bad conference and he was surrounded by 5 star preps. If Mayfield falls to 6 it's value and Mac loves value. 

Macc loves perceived discounts. He was the guy who bought Enron stock at $10 because it was $70 a few weeks earlier.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

The Jets need to play it cool. Not trade up to 3 to draft a guy who is a coin flip to make it to 6 anyway. 

Someone's going to fall. There's not going to be 5 qbs taken before 6. 

the two things we can all be sure of is 1) it won't be Darnold who doesn't fall past the Giants who love generic white dudes with pedigree and 2) Josh Rosen would be Woody Johnson's worst nightmare. Even if he somehow falls to 6, Mac could land himself in the doghouse for taking Rosen. The character concerns for Rosen are real but they are political and only among billionaires. I won't say further in respect of Max's rules. But use google. He says what he wants and NFL owners hate that quality in a franchise QB. 

The worst nightmare is that Woody who isn't involved becomes involved to stop the Jets from taking Rosen. Absolute worst case scenario.

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

To be more precise old school guys are likely to move him far enough down to have the practical effect of him being selected way before he becomes a palatable based on their boards. Macc may have enough self-reflective tendencies to throw out what hasn't been working and take a gamble (according to his sensibilities)... Here's hoping. But all the evidence to date suggests Macc takes the lowest-risk highest-graded "consensus" player when his turn comes around in the 1st...

Mac didnt think enough of Mahomes and Watson at 6 but he's going to drool over Mayfield? No chance.  I with you on this one. He doesnt fit the Mac mold at all.

Just now, Maxman said:

Well, Mayfield would be fun to root for no doubt. I think Cousins is safer and that is where they will go. 

There have only been 2 times in NFL history where a free agent QB won a Super Bowl: Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. Having lived through Neil O'Donnell and the years since then, I am fairly confident that Kirk Cousins won't take 100 bazillion dollars and become the 3rd with the Jets.

Just now, JiF said:

Mac didnt think enough of Mahomes and Watson at 6 but he's going to drool over Mayfield? No chance.  I with you on this one. He doesnt fit the Mac mold at all.

Job security getting dicer. He's gotta sense that if he passes on another stud QB he's toast.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Flair, for the big moments.

Doesnt matter how a player plays when everything is on the line?

Those Watson performances, they didnt actually mean anything because, haha, flare for the big moments. 

Meanwhile, lets not sign Cousins or others because they lack meaningful wins.

This place sometimes....lmfao

Mayfield is the only QB I'd be pleased to see the Jets draft in round #1. 

And even then, I am well aware he is a massive risk to take.

I would not draft Darnold, Rosen or Allen as high as they are being projected, nor would I ever contemplate trading up to get them.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

There have only been 2 times in NFL history where a free agent QB won a Super Bowl: Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. Having lived through Neil O'Donnell and the years since then, I am fairly confident that Kirk Cousins won't take 100 bazillion dollars and become the 3rd with the Jets.

Cousins will go where the most money is offered.

Nick Foles just won a Super Bowl and he was a free agent recently.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets would be paying $200 mil for a couch someone left out on the curb, and they’re going to find out why it was on the curb in the first place. 

Just now, Maxman said:

The worst nightmare is that Woody who isn't involved becomes involved to stop the Jets from taking Rosen. Absolute worst case scenario.

Ownership is usually consulted at franchise QB decisions. Even if Woody is not involved, Christopher Johnson would be knowingly sticking it to his brother if he signed off on it. And that's also possible, given these complex family dynamics. The whole scenario seems unlikely.  

Rosen at 6 would be crazy high on Mac's value meter though.  

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I really hope you're wrong. We need our own QB. Like I said before, that screams of "I have to save my job" instead of caring about the long term success of the franchise. In 5 years we'll be right back where we started - or sooner.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mayfield is the only QB I'd be pleased to see the Jets draft in round #1. 

And even then, I am well aware he is a massive risk to take.

I would not draft Darnold, Rosen or Allen as high as they are being projected, nor would I ever contemplate trading up to get them.

among beggars, warfish is a chooser 

id take all these losers and Lamar Jackson at 6. How could it get worse

Don't make me sit through another year of Petty/Hack whatever rd 2 garbage 

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I really hope you're wrong. We need our own QB. Like I said before, that screams of "I have to save my job" instead of caring about the long term success of the franchise. In 5 years we'll be right back where we started - or sooner.

5 years a lifetime in NFL. Longer than the average GM's tenure.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets would be paying $200 mil for a couch someone left out on the curb, and they’re going to find out why it was on the curb in the first place. 

True story. After I got out of school I brought a bunch of my dorm furniture to Philly. After a few months and a bunch of chicks doing an immediate 180 upon seeing my squalor den after I wasted hours of game to bait them home, I went and bought new furniture. Me and a buddy dragged the old stuff to the curb at 2am. The next morning I was headed to work and I saw the one of the cushions was missing from the couch. I went closer. A bum was sleeping on the sidewalk next to the couch using the cushion as a pillow. Yes a homeless man opted for concrete over my horrific curb couch.

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Cousins will go where the most money is offered.

Nick Foles just won a Super Bowl and he was a free agent recently.

cousins is already preparing for his FA love tour.  he was a recruiting afterthougt, had to work his way to start at MSU, was overlooked in the draft and then by the redskins for a few years.  now he gets his chance to be the toast of the party, right after garrappolo got mega bucks.  cousins wants PR, he wants love by the nfl for perceiving he's been dissed his entire career, and he's taking the most money and will spin it as his best chance to win.

Archived