PFF: Tape, Numbers say Mayfield should be #1 Pick

JetFreak89

JiF this time last year - Draft Watson.  He has it all. All the measurables, all the tools, he can throw and run, he's accurate, big time production, special blend of character and athleticism and saves his best moments for the big stage...all the while doing it vs. the best D's in the nation.

The board - you're an idiot, he's a 3rd round prospect at best, he sucks, he throws INT's, run first, spread! and my very favorite 49 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JiF this year - Not sure about Mayfield.  He doesnt have it all.  There is nothing really special about his game. He doesnt have the measurables, doesnt really have the tools. He's not a superior athlete, not a big arm, a little wind up.  He has big time production in a terrible conference that doesnt play D.  Plays a gimmicky system.  He has a questionable character.  Not sure he's a leader in the NFL.  I'd probably take him because the Jets are desperate but I'm scared at #6 and terrified of trading up for him. I certainly dont think he's the #1 overall pick.

The board - you're an idiot.  He's the best QB in the draft.  You dont know anything, dumbass.  

I <3 you JN.  

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

cousins is already preparing for his FA love tour.  he was a recruiting afterthougt, had to work his way to start at MSU, was overlooked in the draft and then by the redskins for a few years.  now he gets his chance to be the toast of the party, right after garrappolo got mega bucks.  cousins wants PR, he wants love by the nfl for perceiving he's been dissed his entire career, and he's taking the most money and will spin it as his best chance to win.

Winning in the NFL is nice. Winning at life is important.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

JiF this time last year - Draft Watson.  He has it all. All the measurables, all the tools, he can throw and run, he's accurate, big time production, special blend of character and athleticism and saves his best moments for the big stage...all the while doing it vs. the best D's in the nation.

The board - you're an idiot, he's a 3rd round prospect at best, he sucks, he throws INT's, run first, spread! and my very favorite 49 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JiF this year - Not sure about Mayfield.  He doesnt have it all.  There is nothing really special about his game. He doesnt have the measurables, doesnt really have the tools. He's not a superior athlete, not a big arm, a little wind up.  He has big time production in a terrible conference that doesnt play D.  Plays a gimmicky system.  He has a questionable character.  Not sure he's a leader in the NFL.  I'd probably take him because the Jets are desperate but I'm scared at #6 and terrified of trading up for him. I certainly dont think he's the #1 overall pick.

The board - you're an idiot.  He's the best QB in the draft.  You dont know anything, dumbass.  

I <3 you JN.  

Look on the bright side. We think you're an idiot regardless of your views on QBs!

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

So, you agree that there is nothing special about Mayfield.  Other than you look at him and say, he can do this based on whatever criteria you cant really define.  Look, that's cool.  It's just not enough for me to take that player at #6 or trade up for him.  If that works for you, sweet.  I'd like a little more out of my QB.

I'd love to know the amount of throws he actually made in the face of pressure.  I never saw him face pressure until they played Georgia in the 2nd half and they clearly got to him as he wasnt the same player once the script ended and they had to call plays on the spot. 

Is it mayfield's fault that Oklahoma took too long to adapt in the second half? 

I also understand the "bad conference" argument, but what great defenses did Goff or Mariota face?  What about Allen and Wentz, were the FCS defenses elite?  Which elite defenses did rosen face again?

Mayfield shredded an ohio state team which had 10 + guys who will play in the pros, and then put up 48 points on a Georgia team that also had an elite defense.  The conference argument isnt a very strong one

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Job security getting dicer. He's gotta sense that if he passes on another stud QB he's toast.

Agreed.  They need to take a chance.  I've stated numerous times, I dont think Mayfield translates but I'm not going to be mad if they go that route at #6.  It wouldnt be my choice and I'd probably shake my head but I'd get it.  You got to take some chances eventually.

Besides, like I've said before...Mayfield is going to be entertaining either way.  A colossal bust or he's the real deal...going to be a fun ride!

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  They need to take a chance.  I've stated numerous times, I dont think Mayfield translates but I'm not going to be mad if they go that route at #6.  It wouldnt be my choice and I'd probably shake my head but I'd get it.  You got to take some chances eventually.

Besides, like I've said before...Mayfield is going to be entertaining either way.  A colossal bust or he's the real deal...going to be a fun ride!

Macc can't take whatever consensus top-5 defensive player "slips" this year. Just can't. Well unless he brings in cousins, I guess.

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Is it mayfield's fault that Oklahoma took too long to adapt in the second half? 

I also understand the "bad conference" argument, but what great defenses did Goff or Mariota face?  What about Allen and Wentz, were the FCS defenses elite?  Which elite defenses did rosen face again?

Mayfield shredded an ohio state team which had 10 + guys who will play in the pros, and then put up 48 points on a Georgia team that also had an elite defense.  The conference argument isnt a very strong one

It's an extremely strong agrument because the best Big 12 QB's in the NFL are Sam Bradford and Case Keenum.  Everyone puts up video games numbers in the Big 12, none of them are good in the pros.  Very tough to judge the QB's in that conference.  They dont play traditional Football.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I <3 you JN.  

I like you JiF, but I love Skippy.

14 minutes ago, peebag said:

There are only 2 qbs worthy to take in the first round, Darnold and Rosen.

Baker Mayfield might be ok in the league but I wouldn't take a chance drafting him in the first round and particularly not with the 6th pick.

That's pretty much it.  There isnt anything special about his game but he might be great.  Who knows?  I just dont think that type of prospect is top 10 worthy.

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets would be paying $200 mil for a couch someone left out on the curb, and they’re going to find out why it was on the curb in the first place. 

Yup, just like the Saints are suffering with the Chargers undersized, underwhelming damaged goods the last decade. Think about all the Super Bowls the Saints would have by now if they didn't get stuck with Brees! 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's pretty much it.  There isnt anything special about his game but he might be great.  Who knows?  I just dont think that type of prospect is top 10 worthy.

i am tired of being scared of drafting qbs b/c they may not be special.  there are too many qbs in the nfl who people thought were iffy, from cousins to watson to tannehill to prescott.  and good teams figure out how to put talent around these players and they go and play.  and score touchdowns.  

and the jets sit here, afraid year after year to ask the pretty girl to the prom, and instead wind up taking their fu*cking sister. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i am tired of being scared of drafting qbs b/c they may not be special.  there are too many qbs in the nfl who people thought were iffy, from cousins to watson to tannehill to prescott.  and good teams figure out how to put talent around these players and they go and play.  and score touchdowns.  

and the jets sit here, afraid year after year to ask the pretty girl to the prom, and instead wind up taking their fu*cking sister. 

Agreed.  I'm all for taking risks on QB's.  It's why I tried to even defend the Hack pick for as stupid as it was.

I wouldnt on Mayfield but wont be mad if they do.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  I'm all for taking risks on QB's.  It's why I tried to even defend the Hack pick for as stupid as it was.

I wouldnt on Mayfield but wont be mad if they do.

it's not just the player.  mayfield could be great in the nfl or suck, and a lot of it depends on how the team that drafts him deals with him.  do they build around him or leave him for dead, like the jets did with sanchez?  do they stack the o-line and give him a running game or make him throw 40x/game his rookie year?  i want to have faith in the qb but i want to have more faith in the gm's commitment to OFFENSE.

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd love to know the amount of throws he actually made in the face of pressure.  I never saw him face pressure until they played Georgia in the 2nd half and they clearly got to him as he wasnt the same player once the script ended and they had to call plays on the spot. 

per PFF:

Passing Under Pressure (QB)

A telling set of stats when considering a quarterback’s composure, we’ve assembled tables of data to show how often they find themselves under duress and how they operate in those situations. Who throws it away and who takes the sack? Whose pressured passes have been picked of most frequently and whose have usually found an open receiver? Every pressured drop-back is counted here.

nkBKfaB.png

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup, just like the Saints are suffering with the Chargers undersized, underwhelming damaged goods the last decade. Think about all the Super Bowls the Saints would have by now if they didn't get stuck with Brees! 

The fact that everyone rushes to the same exception proves how rare Brees is indeed.

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's not just the player.  mayfield could be great in the nfl or suck, and a lot of it depends on how the team that drafts him deals with him.  do they build around him or leave him for dead, like the jets did with sanchez?  do they stack the o-line and give him a running game or make him throw 40x/game his rookie year?  i want to have faith in the qb but i want to have more faith in the gm's commitment to OFFENSE.

#1 defense and top 3 running game? I fell for Sanchez too but man he was put in a dream scenario, at least early on.

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Must know what letter that asterik represents...

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Imagine Mayfield as a Jet playing the Pats in Foxboro, grabbing his crotch and yelling "f*ck you" at Brady, and then planting a Jets flag in middle of the field after leading us to victory.

He'd be a god around here.

I don't plan on having kids, but if he did sh*t like that, I would adopt one and rename him Baker.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I pray that one of the 5 teams ahead of us actually believe this so that darnold or rosen fall into our laps.

What will happen is the jets will sign cousins for 50 billion dollars and then darnold will drop to 6 and we will pick minkah.

In your scenario, if Macc doesn't trade out his corpse should be duct taped to a billboard outside MetLife as a warning to his successor.

56 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not going to sit here and bash Mayfield (cause he's awesome) but he did play in a bad conference and he was surrounded by 5 star preps. If Mayfield falls to 6 it's value and Mac loves value. 

What he really seems to love are outdated prototypes. Tough to see this group taking Mayfield at all, let alone at 6.

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There have only been 2 times in NFL history where a free agent QB won a Super Bowl: Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. Having lived through Neil O'Donnell and the years since then, I am fairly confident that Kirk Cousins won't take 100 bazillion dollars and become the 3rd with the Jets.

Wasn't Brad Johnson a FA when the Buc's won??

3 hours ago, varjet said:
  • I am interested to read their write up on Josh Allen.  PFF did predict Hack perfectly.  They said he was not draftable, and they were right.  
  • The Browns are not taking Mayfield.  The Giants are not taking Mayfield.  The Colts are not taking Mayfield, but could trade to someone who does.   The Broncos could take Mayfield.  I don't think Mayfield is there at 6.
  • I think Allen is there at 6.

Should do more homework. That's all the talk in Believeland. Dorsey, McLaughlin, etc the whole front office is infatuated with him, as they should be. 

We're trading up to #3 if we want Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield... which we do. I'm confident that will happen. 

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

per PFF:

Passing Under Pressure (QB)

A telling set of stats when considering a quarterback’s composure, we’ve assembled tables of data to show how often they find themselves under duress and how they operate in those situations. Who throws it away and who takes the sack? Whose pressured passes have been picked of most frequently and whose have usually found an open receiver? Every pressured drop-back is counted here.

nkBKfaB.png

When I look at this I see yet another reason the Jets should be drafting Lamar Jackson. A QB who can still score the ball with a limited cast and pass protection. Jackson is a playmaker at the most important position. 

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Exactly my thought especially if Denver lands Cousins. I think the Colts will want to stay in the top 10 as opposed to falling all the way back to 20 and 21.

Your damn right. While #6 isn't the SWEET spot to get a QB, there will be really talented prospect at 6 in this draft. Just view any mock, anywhere, from anyone & there is ALWAYS a stud at 6.

The top player rankings prove it by just looking at the top 10 overall at any position. Hell, unbeknownst to us there might be team looking to trade up to that 6 spot to take someone like Allen if he drops. Colts would clean up for moving back essentially missing only 2 picks, no brainer!

2 hours ago, CeeJayy said:

I'm sold on him being the best QB of the bunch and it'll be shame if we miss out on him.

Whats ridiculous is teams will pass on him for the more "prototypical" 6'3+ QB's

We've already got a couple of those "prototypical" guys.  I'll take the guy with the tape.  I think we have to find a way to jump from 6 to 3.   If that involves next year's number 1, I can live with that.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

We've already got a couple of those "prototypical" guys.  I'll take the guy with the tape.  I think we have to find a way to jump from 6 to 3.   If that involves next year's number 1, I can live with that.

I understand this attitude if you are comparing Mayfield to Allen.  I understand it much less comparing him to Darnold/Rosen.  If the GM hates fidgets, that is okay, but he has to get a QB that can play.  Not a fit the mold guy with 54% completions.  If he wants to pay a premium for size (like @T0mShane?) pay it.

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I pray that one of the 5 teams ahead of us actually believe this so that darnold or rosen fall into our laps.

What will happen is the jets will sign cousins for 50 billion dollars and then darnold will drop to 6 and we will pick minkah.

They aren’t going to pick him. He doesn’t fit Bowles’ concept of a corner

Archived