PFF: Tape, Numbers say Mayfield should be #1 Pick

JetFreak89

17 hours ago, SMC said:

I can vouch for JiF on this.  Him, Rutgers, Ape & myself were the only ones I recall who were consistently touting Watson as the right choice at 6.

It's comical for anyone to try to equate Mayfield with Watson.  Watson is bigger, stronger, has better resume and intangibles than Mayfield.

Mayfield scares me because short, week armed QBs with attitude problems don't get drafted in the 1st round.  People try to bring up Brees and Wilson, but both were not 1st rounders AND had better arm talent than Mayfield.  Heck, Brees blew out his arm as a pro and still has better arm talent than Mayfield.

And Watson has 2 more season ending ACL injuries on his resume. Those who touted Watson were right. But there were people patting each other on the back after RG3 won rookie of the year. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And Watson has 2 more season ending ACL injuries on his resume. Those who touted Watson were right. But there were people patting each other on the back after RG3 won rookie of the year. 

They're not right.  He doesn't have a body of work to show that he's a great qb.  Check back in two years.

16 hours ago, freestater said:

He runs out of the Pocket too much for me, instead of stepping up into it. His footwork is sloppy. I'm not saying the kid is the total package, all polished and pro-capable. I answered the question of what I like. ? I do think he's the guy I'd most like to gamble on (assuming Rosen is long gone when we pick). I don't think he's as impressive as Watson, no. I was all about Watson last year, him or Fournette would have made me ecstatic. We got a safety. Lol. Got a good feeling about this kid. I see a lot of Favre in him, tbh. Can't imagine what we're seeing so differently about the throwing. I like the mechanics, the velocity and placement 

This is a good read on Mayfield.  The one video he posts you can see the footwork/mechanics issues.  A lot of bouncing (Manning got away with it in his career so not too damning) but watch that ball in slow motion.  It starts at his chin, drops down to the waist and then does a loop with it before releasing the ball.  It's not nearly as bad as Sam Darnold but for a smaller guy who has shady foot work and need to use more body motion to generate velocity, its the difference between the ball getting their in time vs. being incomplete or picked off in the NFL.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/01/18/qb-baker-mayfield-oklahoma-accuracy-is-a-deceptive-category/

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Here’s what I’m leaning on as far as preferring Mayfield to the Jets: he seems to be the one QB prospect that won’t completely lose their sh*t after a bad early New York news cycle. I can see it being too much for a golden boy like Darnold, and I think Rosen will be super-confrontational with the likes of Manish, and Manish will eat it up, especially if Rosen struggles at all. Allen, forget about it. Mayfield seems to have that underdog personality that enjoys being sh*t on.

I agree with this. 

This was the Suck for Sam year and, with the spotlight shining brightly on him, Darnold clearly regressed. That's a concern, as are the turnovers. There are a lot of concerns about Rosen's personality and whether or not he has a love of the game or a love of the money he can potentially make playing it. And then there's the injury history. 

Mayfield seems like a kid who would thrive as a New York Jet. That whole chip on his shoulder underdog thing is a perfect fit for this franchise. I think a QB's mental makeup has to be taken into serious consideration, especially under the New York microscope. 

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Here’s what I’m leaning on as far as preferring Mayfield to the Jets: he seems to be the one QB prospect that won’t completely lose their sh*t after a bad early New York news cycle. I can see it being too much for a golden boy like Darnold, and I think Rosen will be super-confrontational with the likes of Manish, and Manish will eat it up, especially if Rosen struggles at all. Allen, forget about it. Mayfield seems to have that underdog personality that enjoys being sh*t on.

28 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree with this. 

This was the Suck for Sam year and, with the spotlight shining brightly on him, Darnold clearly regressed. That's a concern, as are the turnovers. There are a lot of concerns about Rosen's personality and whether or not he has a love of the game or a love of the money he can potentially make playing it. And then there's the injury history. 

Mayfield seems like a kid who would thrive as a New York Jet. That whole chip on his shoulder underdog thing is a perfect fit for this franchise. I think a QB's mental makeup has to be taken into serious consideration, especially under the New York microscope. 

The counter to this is, Mayfield is a punk and hasnt learned humility.  If he struggles and he's pulling the sh*t he did vs. Kansas, OSU and Georgia...he's going to be brutalized by the media and the target on his back around the league will be HUGE and more than likely, he'll lose the entire locker room too because no mature professional who puts in work wants some drama queen QB getting all the attention because of his antics rather than his play.

This is the main reason why I'm starting to lean toward taking the kid.  Like I've said, I see no in between with him...he's either going to ball out or be a colossal bust and front row seats will be a premium! 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

The counter to this is, Mayfield is a punk and hasnt learned humility.  If he struggles and he's pulling the sh*t he did vs. Kansas, OSU and Georgia...he's going to be brutalized by the media and the target on his back around the league will be HUGE and more than likely, he'll lose the entire locker room too because no mature professional who puts in work wants some drama queen QB getting all the attention because of his antics rather than his play.

This is the main reason why I'm starting to lean toward taking the kid.  Like I've said, I see no in between with him...he's either going to ball out or be a colossal bust and front row seats will be a premium! 

Yes, if there’s one thing we’ve learned in the NFL, it’s that humility is an important trait in quarterbacks.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, if there’s one thing we’ve learned in the NFL, it’s that humility is an important trait in quarterbacks.

How many QB's do you see actively taunting their opponents on the sidelines?

How often do you see an entire team screaming at another player to "be humble"?

There is confidence and ego and then there is being a punk.  Mayfield is much closer to the later and I just dont know how that's going to jive in an NFL locker room if he's not lighting the league up by storm.

Esteemed Jets veteran Jamal Adams: Maybe I’m old school, but you should have to accomplish something in the NFL before you assert any confidence in your ability. Perhaps holding Tyrod Taylor to 200 yards total offense in the first half? Something of that ilk.”

C230FA88-639D-4B95-B1E8-E6437387466B.gif

1 minute ago, JiF said:

There is confidence and ego and then there is being a punk.  Mayfield is much closer to the later and I just dont know how that's going to jive in an NFL locker room if he's not lighting the league up by storm.

If he plays well, it’ll fly. If he doesn’t play well, it won’t.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Esteemed Jets veteran Jamal Adams: Maybe I’m old school, but you should have to accomplish something in the NFL before you assert any confidence in your ability. Perhaps holding Tyrod Taylor to 200 yards total offense in the first half? Something of that ilk.”

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or holding Gronk to zero catches..

On 13/2/2018 at 10:39 AM, bitonti said:

There have only been 2 times in NFL history where a free agent QB won a Super Bowl: Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. Having lived through Neil O'Donnell and the years since then, I am fairly confident that Kirk Cousins won't take 100 bazillion dollars and become the 3rd with the Jets.

I think for many Jets fans they are happy to win nine or ten games to return to the playoffs even if the possibility of a wild card exit is high. They figure, anything can happen in the playoffs... and yes, it's true anything can happen but it very rarely does. He can't carry a team but with talent around him Cousins, gives a high chance of making the playoffs which is what fans live for.

LIke you, I don't see him winning a Super Bowl. I'd rather take my chances with a qb at 6.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I love when the Mayfield d-ckriders say he’s nothing like Johnny Manziel and then the reasons they think he’ll be this huge star in the NFL are all descriptions of Johnny Manziel

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Adams is clueless 

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Watson wouldn't have blown out his knee with the Jets.  Alternative dimension, parallel universe, space/time continuum, that sort of thing.

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I love when the Mayfield d-ckriders say he’s nothing like Johnny Manziel and then the reasons they think he’ll be this huge star in the NFL are all descriptions of Johnny Manziel

Yes there only two camps. Everyone has to chose for himself. Are you a hater or a d*ckrider?

Archived