Casserly's Mock: 3 Qb's go in top 6. and the JETS select.....

Stark

When we fail to hook Cousins, the Jets may resign Josh has a mentor.

They managed to fleece Seattle for a 2nd rounder, I believe this is draft ammo. The Bills have 2 firsts and that's to move up for a QB. We HAVE to be aggressive this year, because if Denver get Kirk they shop that pick. The Colts may shop their pick also.

If we want a QB we move up. I don't care if we give up 2019's 1st and a 2nd this year, just do it. A good QB changes everything. We can patch holes with the FA money.

8 hours ago, adb280z said:

I'm hoping they don't draft Baker, trading up would be even worse.

I'm just prepping myself for trading up to 3. I think that is going to be what we have to do if we don't land cousins, I'd be more upset if we had the ammo and let another team jump us for a franchise QB.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm just prepping myself for trading up to 3. I think that is going to be what we have to do if we don't land cousins, I'd be more upset if we had the ammo and let another team jump us for a franchise QB.

exactly, no one talks about all the picks the eagles traded to move up for wentz.  Especially now.  QB changes everything.  If we trade a ton of picks and somehow get the next big thing, it will be worth it.

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

exactly, no one talks about all the picks the eagles traded to move up for wentz.  Especially now.  QB changes everything.  If we trade a ton of picks and somehow get the next big thing, it will be worth it.

Then proceeded to win the SB with Foles. 

There is no blueprint to success. 

10 hours ago, varjet said:

This is the complete truth, and the Giants are not trading with the Jets.

The Giants don't need Chubb, and they will not take a RB that high.  The could use a trade down and lower picks to build the roster for Eli's last stand.

the bills are a perfect trading partner for them.

i still think the jets could land mayfield at 6. 

18 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't mind trading up, just wouldn't do it for Mayfield, but again I don't even want him at 6.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:35 PM, varjet said:

The could use a trade down and lower picks to build the roster for Eli's last stand.

All this talk of trade down, it takes a ton to move up to 2 or 3. The Buffalo Bills 2 1st round picks 22 and 23 get you up to 7 on the trade value chart. It would be another first rounder to get up to 3. And presumably even more to get up to 2. THe GIants are sticking at 2, taking a QB cause Eli's last stand was actually 2 years ago 

On 2/14/2018 at 9:30 AM, southparkcpa said:

The real comparison is Marino, Brady and the countless GREAT QB's that were available to us but we chose someone else because we know better.

In fairness, most of the league passed on Marino, and the entire league passed, multiple times, on Brady.

Its not like it was just us.

As for Favre, we wanted him, Falcons jumped us, we took the consolidation prize. Not like Favrehelped the Falcons anyway.

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

All this talk of trade down, it takes a ton to move up to 2 or 3. The Buffalo Bills 2 1st round picks 22 and 23 get you up to 7 on the trade value chart. It would be another first rounder to get up to 3. And presumably even more to get up to 2. THe GIants are sticking at 2, taking a QB cause Eli's last stand was actually 2 years ago 

The Giants can do that because Manning's contract is not that terrible and if whomever they draft doesn't work, they just ride Manning longer.

The Jets have more "desperation" in the entire process, which maybe is solved by just signing McCown and continuing to look.  

To me, this team has so many other holes and problems that trying to plug a QB is not worth it.  The entire roster needs to be built.  Trading picks for a QB with issues does not make sense.  

11 hours ago, varjet said:

The Giants can do that because Manning's contract is not that terrible and if whomever they draft doesn't work, they just ride Manning longer.

The Jets have more "desperation" in the entire process, which maybe is solved by just signing McCown and continuing to look.  

To me, this team has so many other holes and problems that trying to plug a QB is not worth it.  The entire roster needs to be built.  Trading picks for a QB with issues does not make sense.  

Manning's contract isn't terrible but his play has fallen off a cliff. They can't convince themselves they have an Eli Super Bowl window is still open. No one believes that. 

as for the "too many other holes" like what? what position are the Jets worse than QB? They even have more at edge with Ealy than they do at QB with McCown. 

There's no worse position on this roster than QB. Maybe kick returner. There's no more important position in all of team sports. 

11 hours ago, varjet said:

Thus is your fate for winning those idiotic few games to make a lousy 5-11 team look good because they were supposed to win 2 games.

This is why we had a pro tank faction on this forum.  You are sh*tty and need a QB, it is far better to sink low and draft your guy high than to have to give up picks to move up.

If the jets settled for McCown and put off getting a young QB then they would have had a vet jag for all 4 years of this regimes tenure, not acceptable.

Also their twisted priority of filling holes with ultra high picks on non premium positions has set them back.

Sooner or later you have to go for it at the QB position.  (See Wentz and goff)

Top 10 mocks are impossible this year until they know were cousins lands.

Also I think the Browns are going to end up trading that 4th overall pick. Somebody's going to want to take the third quarter back there and it's going to be a lot of demand for it.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:15 PM, Integrity28 said:

By mentor you mean “guy who was once in the same building at the same time as”?

lol

Seriously, though, can you think of any other connection between coffeeboy and an NFL GM position? 

He was with Casserly in Washington, then after Casserly got hired by Houston he instantly also gets hired by the Texans.

Casserly is hired by the Jets as a consultant after firing Rex & Idzik, and magically he’s the Jets’ GM. 

Anyone who says they’d heard of Macc even the day before the Jets set up an interview is either a relative of his, a liar, or is in charge of printing rewards cards for DD/Starbucks.

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol

Seriously, though, can you think of any other connection between coffeeboy and an NFL GM position? 

He was with Casserly in Washington, then after Casserly got hired by Houston he instantly also gets hired by the Texans.

Casserly is hired by the Jets as a consultant after firing Rex & Idzik, and magically he’s the Jets’ GM. 

Anyone who says they’d heard of Macc even the day before the Jets set up an interview is either a relative of his, liar, or is in charge of printing rewards cards for DD/Starbucks.

image.pngimage.png

Mock Draft Roundup: Who Analysts Have the Jets Selecting

Posted Feb 16, 2018

MK2_8542-greenberg-thumb.jpgEthan GreenbergNYJets.com Contributor

•  
  •  

Green & White Could Go a Number of Different Directions with No. 6 Pick

mock-roundup-saquon-top-AP_1800264000851

While a lot could change between now and April’s draft, most experts believe the Jets will select their first offensive player in the first round in nine years.

Dane Brugler — NFLDraftScout.com — RB Saquon Barkley (Penn State)
With three quarterbacks off the board in this scenario, the Jets could look to Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield. However, a playmaker like Barkley still on the board would be hard to pass up.

Charley Casserly — NFLN — QB Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma) 
Will Mayfield have the best NFL career of any QB in this class?

Lance Zierlein — NFLN — QB Josh Allen (Wyoming)
The Jets have to find a signal-caller. Allen fits the size and arm-talent profile GMs love.

Chad Reuter — NFLN — QB Josh Allen (Wyoming)
The Wyoming product showed during Senior Bowl week his ability to utilize his talents to the fullest.

Round 2: RB Ronald Jones II (USC), OLB Dorance Armstrong, Jr. (Kansas)
Round 3: CB Quenton Meeks (Stanford)

Matt Miller — Bleacher Report — CB Denzel Ward (Ohio State)
A feisty, tough cornerback with excellent speed and instincts, Ward would fill a huge need for the Jets as the front office tries to continue building a powerhouse secondary. And while pass-rusher is a bigger need, there isn't one on the board worthy of a top-six selection. 

Round 2: OT Jamarco Jones (Ohio State), OLB Dorance Armstrong, Jr. (Kansas)
Round 3: DL Trenton Thomas (Georgia)
Round 4: RB Akrum Wadley (Iowa)
Round 5: TE Dalton Schultz (Stanford)
Round 6: CB D.J. Reed (Kansas State) 

Ryan Wilson — CBS Sports — QB Josh Allen (Wyoming)
The run on quarterbacks continues, and Allen is the next name to be called.  The Jets have a gaping hole at quarterback and while Allen comes with some flaws, it's hard to overlook his physical skills.

Pete Prisco — CBS Sports — DB Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)
They drafted two safeties a year ago, so now they get a corner who is a playmaker from a top defense. If they don't land a quarterback in free agency, Baker Mayfield could be in play here. 

On 2/13/2018 at 4:57 PM, 32EBoozer said:

I'm good with that if we don't land Cousins! The question is if we don't get Cousins and Darnold and Rosen are off the board, do we sit and hope Mayfield drops in our lap, or do we go up #3 or #4 and get him? The price will be steep for the Colts to pass on Barkley. Now the Browns may do a deal to drop 2 spots.

Just the thought of us moving up to select Mayfield makes me want to vomit.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:35 AM, BurnleyJet said:

When we fail to hook Cousins, the Jets may resign Josh has a mentor.

They managed to fleece Seattle for a 2nd rounder, I believe this is draft ammo. The Bills have 2 firsts and that's to move up for a QB. We HAVE to be aggressive this year, because if Denver get Kirk they shop that pick. The Colts may shop their pick also.

If we want a QB we move up. I don't care if we give up 2019's 1st and a 2nd this year, just do it. A good QB changes everything. We can patch holes with the FA money.

the problem is if they do draft a qb at 6 then there's more than a good chance the vet qb/mentor will be mccown and he will probably play well enough to keep the rookie planted on the bench.  hopefully woody or his bros will step in and tell bowles to play the draft pick, at least from game 4 on out.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, New York Mick said:

I hope we don’t trade up for anyone. 

If we don’t sign Cousins, which I prefer to pass on for numerous reasons, i’d trade back if a trade for Darnold or Rosen wasn’t a possibility.  Mayfield is just too short. I really think he’s going to have trouble in the NFL seeing over these behemoths. Trade back and take Lauletta before the evil empire gets their claws on him. Sign a vet, not named McClown, and have Lauletta take over after 4-5 games.  

3 hours ago, BigO said:

If we don’t sign Cousins, which I prefer to pass on for numerous reasons, i’d trade back if a trade for Darnold or Rosen wasn’t a possibility.  Mayfield is just too short. I really think he’s going to have trouble in the NFL seeing over these behemoths. Trade back and take Lauletta before the evil empire gets their claws on him. Sign a vet, not named McClown, and have Lauletta take over after 4-5 games.  

We shouldn’t trade up for anyone. 

When analysts say about Allen, “He has flaws but there is no passing up his physical ability”

They do realize those skills he has flaws with are actually the top few skills that set apart good pro QB’s and QB’s that wind up out of the league in 5 years? That isn’t something you pass up.

Really.

Charlie Casserly and Bill Polian are senile.  

Bill Polian Says Lamar Jackson Is 'Short,' Should Move to WR in the NFL

SCOTT POLACEKFEBRUARY 19, 2018

Louisville Cardinals quarterback Lamar Jackson (8) warms up before the start of the TaxSlayer Bowl NCAA college football game against the Mississippi State Bulldogs, Saturday, Dec. 30, 2017, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Stephen B. Morton)
Stephen B. Morton/Associated Press

Quarterback Lamar Jackson is 6'3" and won the Heisman Trophy during his time at Louisville, but former Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian thinks he is "short" and should switch positions. 

According to Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk, Polian appeared on ESPN on Monday and pointed to what he sees as lackluster height and throwing accuracy when it comes to Jackson's NFL potential.

"Short and a little bit slight," Polian said of the Louisville product. "Clearly, clearly not the thrower that the other guys are. The accuracy isn't there."

Polian also felt that Jackson would be better off as a receiver: "I think wide receiver. Exceptional athelete, exceptional ability to make you miss, exceptional acceleration, exceptional instinct with the ball in his hand and that’s rare for wide receivers. That’s [Antonio Brown], and who else? Name me another one, Julio [Jones is] not even like that."

While Polian took issue with Jackson's accuracy, his 59.1 completion percentage was better than the 56.3 Wyoming's Josh Allen posted in 2017. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller projected Allen as the No. 5 overall pick to the Denver Broncos.

Jackson threw for 3,543 yards and 30 touchdowns in 2016 and 3,660 and 27 touchdowns in 2017, winning ACC Player of the Year both seasons and the Heisman, Maxwell and Walter Camp Player of the Year Awards in 2016.

His NFL.com draft profile calls him an "elite playmaker with rare ability to hit home runs with his arms or legs" and pointed to his prowess on deep passes and how he "destroys pursuit angles when he runs."

His elusiveness as a runner—50 touchdowns on the ground in three seasons at Louisville—would help him should he attempt to become a wide receiver, but it will also allow him to extend plays as a quarterback when the pocket breaks down and make an offense even more dangerous because he can take off at any time.

Polian doesn't see Jackson as a quarterback at the next level, but Miller projected him as a second-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

•  
  •  
  •  

Archived