An Example of Everything Wrong with the World Today

Warfish

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/13/us/5pointz-graffiti-artists-award-trnd/index.html

In before folks defend this travesty, because of course they will, but ****s sake.  There are days I wonder what realm of insanity world I now find myself living in.

In so many ways, it seems lawbreakers and their ilk have vastly more rights than the law abiding.  

What a world.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Here, as in most cases, the villains are [checks notes] artists, and the victims are [removes glasses, squints] real estate developers

I would like to sue those artist that make those pictures you have to squint in order to see the images. I would go to the mall with my kids and they would see stuff and I would see dots. Fuck those guys.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Wolkoff had allowed artists to paint murals and graffiti on the buildings he owned since 2002 and over time, the location evolved into a New York City cultural landmark that appeared in tourist guidebooks.

context

But ...

He owned the building and hence should own the "art" and should have been free to do with it what he wished

Was there any written or implied contract with the "artists" that required him to retain the "work"? 

Was it declared a landmark by the city or NPS? If not, no matter that it was in tourist guidebooks 

Our entire judicial system needs to be overhauled

36 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

But ...

He owned the building and hence should own the "art" and should have been free to do with it what he wished

Was there any written or implied contract with the "artists" that required him to retain the "work"? 

Was it declared a landmark by the city or NPS? If not, no matter that it was in tourist guidebooks 

Free Robby Anderson!! 

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

But ...

The law, known as the Visual Artists Rights Act, affords legal protections to artists whose work meets certain requirements, whether or not the artists own the work.

i guess it depends on the details. 

seems like this could have been negotiated or worked out of he didn't paint over it in the middle of the night.

just pointing out this wasnt vandalism or gang sign's, its more complicated

2 hours ago, Larz said:

The law, known as the Visual Artists Rights Act, affords legal protections to artists whose work meets certain requirements, whether or not the artists own the work.

i guess it depends on the details. 

seems like this could have been negotiated or worked out of he didn't paint over it in the middle of the night.

just pointing out this wasnt vandalism or gang sign's, its more complicated

you're right, this is more complicated than I thought upon seeing the report

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Stealing an old building would be a little tricky. No?

Dont need the whole building and when big bucks are involved.......

http://www.firstpost.com/world/graffiti-artist-banksys-mural-stolen-from-london-appears-in-us-auction-630807.html

http://muralform.com/2016/banksys-stolen-art/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/banksy-hits-back-art-thieves-11053933

41 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Yea read about this. Just insane. Private property means nothing now? Wtf

The property owner granted them permission, then destroyed the art in the middle of the night.

This all could have been avoided with a simple negotiation

8 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Ummmm, ever hear of an easement?

It's not a newfangled law, it's a legal principle from way back.  It's a similar principle here.

Easement? Dude this is graffiti sprayed all over an old warehouse. The owner paints over to sell. Thats not an easment

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Easement? Dude this is graffiti sprayed all over an old warehouse. The owner paints over to sell. Thats not an easment

It's the same principle.  You were complaining about the so-called outrage of a property owner losing his rights to a portion of his property because he allowed someone else to take it over.  That's what an easement is-when it comes to property, in some cases you have to use it or lose it.

This case is not an easement per se, but a law which protects the rights of an artist who paints something on a building of which the owner is aware and lets go for a certain amount of time works on the same principle as an easement. When it comes to property, you have to assert your rights or you can lose the property to someone else.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

......?

so the so called artists now have legal ownership of the property?

heeellloooooooo has the world gone mad

No. But the imagery belongs to them.  It’s the owners fault for giving them permission in the first place. Who the hell does that with property? “Yeah sure , go ahead and vandalize my real restate investment.” Stupid people earn it when dumb things happen to them. 

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No. But the imagery belongs to them.  It’s the owners fault for giving them permission in the first place. Who the hell does that with property? “Yeah sure , go ahead and vandalize my real restate investment.” Stupid people earn it when dumb things happen to them. 

Hindsight of course but maybe going forward property owners can put up signs stating that if graffiti artists use the walls as a canvas the owner of the property will always retain the right to paint over, sell or demolish it all without any legal recourse.

On second thought never mind, if a property owner put up a sign they would probably just cover it with graffiti anyway.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Hindsight of course but maybe going forward property owners can put up signs stating that if graffiti artists use the walls as a canvas the owner of the property will always retain the right to paint over, sell or demolish it all without any legal recourse.

On second thought never mind, if a property owner put up a sign they would probably just cover it with graffiti anyway.

They probably had scaffolding up to paint that building 

This wasn't some random gang sign painted in 25 seconds 

Archived