Bears expected to dump FA bust Mike Glennon

Gas2No99

8374.jpg

ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson believes the "writing is clearly on the wall" that Mike Glennon won't be back with the team for the 2018 season.

The Bears have already paid Glennon $16 million, and the plan is for that to be all he gets from them before he's due a $2.5 million roster bonus later this offseason. For $16 million, Glennon made four starts for Chicago, completing 93-of-140 passes (66.4%) for 833 yards (6.0 YPA) and a 4:5 TD:INT ratio while losing three fumbles. The Bears aren't going to pay him $15 million to be a backup.
Source: ESPN.com 
Feb 14 - 10:25 AM

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Maybe we can put this "See CHI signed a FA QB and still drafted one in the first round" bullsh*t to bed now. His contract was structure to give CHI the opportunity to cut him after year 1 with minimal penalty... 

Obviously Chicago was not thrilled with Watson and Mahomes either, as picking three there were guaranteed at least one of Watson, Mahomes and Trubisky.  But their signing Glennon for that type of money was basically panic as a team truly rebuilding would have drafted a QB, maybe trading up, and signing a Hoyer or McCown (but maybe those options were off the table scine they already played there).  

The good news for the Bears is that the player picked by the 49ers with the picked they traded may not play for awhile.  

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:
8374.jpg

ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson believes the "writing is clearly on the wall" that Mike Glennon won't be back with the team for the 2018 season.

The Bears have already paid Glennon $16 million, and the plan is for that to be all he gets from them before he's due a $2.5 million roster bonus later this offseason. For $16 million, Glennon made four starts for Chicago, completing 93-of-140 passes (66.4%) for 833 yards (6.0 YPA) and a 4:5 TD:INT ratio while losing three fumbles. The Bears aren't going to pay him $15 million to be a backup.
Source: ESPN.com 
Feb 14 - 10:25 AM

Another guy Mac missed!!

Also, pass. The Jets have to go with a QB that's got some kind of upside over the next 2-3 years, whether that's a drafted QB or a free agent with upside. Wouldn't even bring him on a (presumably much cheaper than he got last year) one year deal. If we MUST sign a stopgap (hopefully because we've got a top rookie who needs time) just call McCown's number again.

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

At veterans minimum for camp fodder? Sure, why not? I'd have no problem with Glennon as a number 2 to Kirk Cousins.

if that was the scenario i could live with it, but i would fear that Bowles would try to just go with Glennon and use the Cousins money on defensive players that he can't get to perform, as this is his M.O. (no pun intended but MO WILK... lol )

34 minutes ago, Stark said:

if that was the scenario i could live with it, but i would fear that Bowles would try to just go with Glennon and use the Cousins money on defensive players that he can't get to perform, as this is his M.O. (no pun intended but MO WILK... lol )

I wouldn't have a problem with being a defense focused team if we actually built up a monster defense. Nobody would bat at eyelash if we had a 1985 Bears defense with amount of defense we have selected in the first round. You can win with a mediocre QB when you have the kind of defense that keeps head coaches up at night. We have a mediocre defense and a mediocre offense, and a less than mediocre special teams. Yay us!

20 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I wouldn't have a problem with being a defense focused team if we actually built up a monster defense. Nobody would bat at eyelash if we had a 1985 Bears defense with amount of defense we have selected in the first round. You can win with a mediocre QB when you have the kind of defense that keeps head coaches up at night. We have a mediocre defense and a mediocre offense, and a less than mediocre special teams. Yay us!

This is not only a great strategy, but it is perfect for the NorthEast.  If you build a tough defense and strong offensive line and running game, a Northeast team should win some games.   While you do that you search for and develop a QB.  Look at what the Steelers and Ravens did, and the Jets in 2009-2010.  The Eagles traded for a QB, but they built the other pieces by drafting strongly, particularly in the lower rounds, for all the pieces.  

This is also why I don't see Mac trading the farm for a QB this year.  The Jets need too many other pieces. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He'll probably end up being a back up for some team, the starter goes down and he'll end up playing in and winning a Superbowl.... and that will quickly be followed by many Jets fans requesting to trade for him. 

I swear thats happened before. 

Anyway, sign this beast! Then build the oline. 

Love this guy. Love him THIS MUCH:

38B92A3200000578-3804233-image-a-22_1474

The 2nd arrow, not the first. That's how much.

Archived